• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 price to increase in select markets

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
There are probably plenty of ways to justify this from an economic standpoint. But from a market-share, competition, and PR perspective this is just Jim Ryan being stupid again.

Hot Shots Idiot GIF
He is either delusional to the n-th degree and should go immediately or he is not that happy about doing that either. I do not see a middle ground sorry.

Yeah see edit please.
I saw it, again I still do not think we are comparing like for like. Also considering how bigger and bigger the shift to digital is…

Still, let’s look at distributors:
jjBrhNQ.jpg
jVe46yo.jpg

Shopto, Curry’s… definitely not £35. We cannot compare sales and cost eaten by the distributor to SRP.

Last edited:

oldergamer

Exactly. I hope Microsoft keeps eating the cost.
I dont know how much ms is eating but i doubt its a lot. Microsoft has some components that are easier or less costly to manufacture. The ssd memory specifically is a lot less costly then what sony is using due to performance targets. Cooling tech used is also less costly then whats used in ps5. I dont think its an apples to apples comparison

Mattyp

Gold Member
The problem with the narrative you're trying to push is that prices have risen, globally. But you're here calling Sony "papa" when someone points that basic point out to you.

You're worried about the extra pennies on PS5. Ok cool. But there are elderly people facing a choice between food and heating here in the UK.

_126407191_energy_price_cap_cornwall_22_08-nc.png

While the energy companies openly celebrate having more money than they know what to do with.
Our government has admitted that many people will die this winter due to complications from not being able to keep themselves warm but here you are going hard at the manufacturer of a luxury item.

Some of you are way too transparent.

There is zero argument comparison here, we’re on a VIDEO GAME FORUM.

Not a politics forum of the UK & EU cucking themselves to prove a point when they rely on Russia for gas still.

Until they raise the price in the US where the Xbox competes this is nothing but a fuck you we can get away with this while having record profits.

Fucking the consumer while having record margins shouldn’t be defended for any company. Energy or electronics. But let’s not forget we’re on Neogaf not r/politics.

Ozriel

M$FT
Because this is not an isolated thing where Sony went insane and just raised prices, so with macro economical shift you need to also look at what is the competition doing and why they can afford to do so or not. Otherwise we can keep on a “anti consumer vs pro consumer” level discussion and throw rotten fruit at each other all day… 🤷‍♂️.

Everyone knows this isn’t an isolated thing. The argument here is that this is (nearly) unprecedented in the console space, and ideally one would expect Sony to eat the additional costs.
We had the thread where Meta hiked the prices for the Oculus Quest 2 and everyone raked them over the coals for it. So your strident defence of Sony’s hike is the aberration here.

The fact that they aren’t doing the hikes In the Us clearly shows they know the benefit of eating the additional costs.

I dont know how much ms is eating but i doubt its a lot. Microsoft has some components that are easier or less costly to manufacture. The ssd memory specifically is a lot less costly then what sony is using due to performance targets. Cooling tech used is also less costly then whats used in ps5. I dont think its an apples to apples comparison
Yeah, it's hard to tell. Of course the SOC is more expensive compared to PS5, but as you said, other parts are cheaper.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Everyone knows this isn’t an isolated thing. The argument here is that this is (nearly) unprecedented in the console space, and ideally one would expect Sony to eat the additional costs.
We had the thread where Meta hiked the prices for the Oculus Quest 2 and everyone raked them over the coals for it. So your strident defence of Sony’s hike is the aberration here.
I am not defending them trying to spin it as a good thing, you are arguing strawmen here.

The fact that they aren’t doing the hikes In the Us clearly shows they know the benefit of eating the additional costs.
They know they cannot afford it globally and maybe inflationary worries are greater outside of the U.S..

ACESHIGH

Banned
I hope MS trolls Sony with the price increase same as sony did with the used game bs and always online ate the start of the 8th generation.

Last edited:

skit_data

I think it would’ve been more strategically sound to announce this price increase along with maybe a slim edition/slightly bigger SSD or something. 1 TB storage instead of 825 GB would probably been a pretty small BOM increase. Small stuff like that could’ve made it look less greedy while effectively still achieve their goal.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Cmon, man. Why bring up MS. or are you saying Sony are actually really worried about MS and can't compete? I don't get it.

This has nothing to do with Microsoft it's just purely down to the economic crisis and post covid issues.
Or it could be that demand is outpacing supply so they can raise the price and make more money.
yL5yJOD.gif

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
I think it would’ve been more strategically sound to announce this price increase along with maybe a slim edition/slightly bigger SSD or something. 1 TB storage instead of 825 GB would probably been a pretty small BOM increase. Small stuff like that could’ve made it look less greedy while effectively still achieve their goal.

They’d have to redesign the console for 1TB. Not nearly as simple as swapping a single module.

draliko

The mental gymnastics some of you guys are doing is extraordinary... how this is defensible is beyond my comprehension... I'm really starting to think that some of you have sex with your consoles... sony pricing was awful from the start, from the cross gen game updates to everything else... and still skmeone would kill his mom to defend them...

Rykan

So where do you get your data about E-bay making only a fraction of sales, but in fairness only mentioned them because they are very prominent, and as for E-bay or anyone else gaining or losing out, surely there is a right and wrong thing to do, in this case they are encouraging scalping.
Because ebay is but one of many places to sell scalped consoles, think facebook marketplace, craigslist or local alternatives in many countries. Many of these are more suitable for reselling consoles specifically because scalpers want to sell lots of consoles in a small area.

These websites certainly encourage scalpers, but they have no reason to care. More traffic is more traffic.

Mr.ODST

The mental gymnastics some of you guys are doing is extraordinary... how this is defensible is beyond my comprehension... I'm really starting to think that some of you have sex with your consoles... sony pricing was awful from the start, from the cross gen game updates to everything else... and still skmeone would kill his mom to defend them...
You’d be surprised

skit_data

They’d have to redesign the console for 1TB. Not nearly as simple as swapping a single module.
Yeah I guess those soldered parts aren’t that good for that type of change. They’d have to pretty much change the mobo layout if they were to add another chips to it. Unless there are chips with higher capacity or something.

Last edited:

oldergamer

I heard that they lose so much money on the digital version and i have no problem if they
rise the price for it but why the disk version ? Series X now is cheaper by £30 in UK
I dont know why people think sony is losing money on the digital version. They hardly produce any. Its such a low percentage overall sales i dont think it impacts the numbers.

They could honestly kill that sku with this price increase, and they would still sell all units made.

Von Hugh

Soon companies will start creating arbitrary supply issues with their products in hope for justification for price increases, better profits and the sentiment of fear of missing out. Welcome to the new world.

Banjo64

cumsessed
He is either delusional to the n-th degree and should go immediately or he is not that happy about doing that either. I do not see a middle ground sorry.

I saw it, again I still do not think we are comparing like for like. Also considering how bigger and bigger the shift to digital is…

Still, let’s look at distributors:
jjBrhNQ.jpg
jVe46yo.jpg

Shopto, Curry’s… definitely not £35. We cannot compare sales and cost eaten by the distributor to SRP.
Ok, now compare any game that’s not BOTW or Smash?

First party games from this year;

Mario Strikers £34.99

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09S77J9TX/

Kirby and the Forgotten Land £36.99 (was £34.99 last week on Shopto)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09QR6MX9V/

Legends Arceus £36.99
https://www.currys.co.uk/products/n...+Deals+Ltd&sv1=affiliate&sv_campaign_id=47868

I bought Metroid Dread for £34.99 on launch day from Curry’s. I’m in the UK and Curry’s have had a £5 off gaming code on for around 2 years now which results in the £34.99 games at launch day.

Plus games like Splatoon 3 you can pre-order for £38 from Shopto now but other retailers will drop the price at release too.

But anyway, point is that even Nintendo with their reputation are cheaper than their competitors at retail, and it’s not even close.

As always, vote with your wallets and fuck 'em over every chance you get by sharing your physical games with your friends instead of each of you buying a copy. Also, dont forget you can share your PS Plus membership with one other person, supposedly your family, but yeah.

Don't wanna be that guy, but you know, share this info with as many people as you know and eventually Sony might start to feel the hurt.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Ok, now compare any game that’s not BOTW or Smash?

First party games from this year;

Mario Strikers £34.99

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09S77J9TX/

Kirby and the Forgotten Land £36.99 (was £34.99 last week on Shopto)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09QR6MX9V/

Legends Arceus £36.99
https://www.currys.co.uk/products/nintendo-switch-pokemon-legends-arceus-10227350.html?awc=1599_1661422107_1bd1caf548f369ede3046e9046a51a70&srcid=369&xtor=AL-1&cmpid=aff~HotUKDeals~Discount Code~47868~Pepper+Deals+Ltd&sv1=affiliate&sv_campaign_id=47868

I bought Metroid Dread for £34.99 on launch day from Curry’s. I’m in the UK and Curry’s have had a £5 off gaming code on for around 2 years now which results in the £34.99 games at launch day.

Plus games like Splatoon 3 you can pre-order for £38 from Shopto now but other retailers will drop the price at release too.

But anyway, point is that even Nintendo with their reputation are cheaper than their competitors at retail, and it’s not even close.
Again, you are comparing games of very very different budgets and you are using distributors which may or may not eat in their margins too in markets that are shifting more and more to digital. Comparing official shop prices is more insightful.

Btw in japan all Apple devices increase price also, iPhones / ipad and macs are up for around 300us 😭
Not just in Japan. And it's pretty much all the big players in the tech industry. As a PC gamer buying new hardware (especially GPUs) was pretty much impossible for reasonable prices. Even now 2 years after the launch it's hard to find anything at MSRP outside maybe the US and there is no supply problem anymore.

Topher

Gold Member
I dont know why people think sony is losing money on the digital version. They hardly produce any. Its such a low percentage overall sales i dont think it impacts the numbers.

They could honestly kill that sku with this price increase, and they would still sell all units made.

The only difference is the drive and that isn't close to being a $100 cost savings so why wouldn't you think they lose money on the DE? And where are you getting the DE's percentage of sales from?

Fishake

Neo Member
Sony prices USA Vs. Rest of the world:

Games:
USA: 69.99$
Rest of the world: 79.99€/69.99£

Console:
USA: 499$/399$
Rest of the world: 549.99€/499.99€ - 479.99£/389.99£

If currency conversion is done, the prices are the same everywhere except in the USA. Why does Sony make these differences?! What is different in the rest of the world and not in the USA?! It seems that we, the rest of the world, are not treated or do not have the same treatment as those in the USA. Shame on you Sony!

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
It's a damn shame Xbox games arent even close to being ready this generation cause this would be the perfect time to drop a Starfield Xbox bundle for the holidays

Dropping the Series S in price, and having the $500 Series X alongside Game Pass, Microsoft Rewards, and some crazy acquisitions…they should be sitting pretty.

Sony prices USA Vs. Rest of the world:

Games:
USA: 69.99$
Rest of the world: 79.99€/69.99£

Console:
USA: 499$/399$
Rest of the world: 549.99€/499.99€ - 479.99£/389.99£

If currency conversion is done, the prices are the same everywhere except in the USA. Why does Sony make these differences?! What is different in the rest of the world and not in the USA?! It seems that we, the rest of the world, are not treated or do not have the same treatment as those in the USA. Shame on you Sony!
USA is without taxes included. The rest of the world includes taxes.

winjer

Gold Member
This is really strange move. The console has been on the market for 2 years now. It's price should be going down.
The chip crisis is over. There is much less precure on N7 process node, as companies move to N5 and soon to N3.

For example, just yesterday NVidia posted a drop of 44% in GPU sales.

jaysius

Banned
They're really doubling down on the PlayStation 5 as a luxury brand meme and the get a 2nd job meme.

Let's see how this pans out in this economy.

Otre

Banned
g'damn, i sure as fuck did not expect for sony to shoot itself right in the foot.

But hell, the name playstation carries so much weight with normies, they will take the price hike right in the ass and redirect it right to the prostate.

This is really strange move. The console has been on the market for 2 years now. It's price should be going down.
The chip crisis is over. There is much less precure on N7 process node, as companies move to N5 and soon to N3.

For example, just yesterday NVidia posted a drop of 44% in GPU sales.
Component, transport & energy costs have gone through the roof though. Chip crises is also not over at all and a new node that costs way more per wafer doesn't exactly make things better.

jaysius

Banned
What? And you Say that you pay for a Game 69.99$ + taxes?
Games in USA that cost $60 are $80 + tax (tax ranges from 5-15%) in Canada, our dollar fluctuations never really factor in here either for the worst, when our dollar gets better the price just sticks at that shitty spot.

$70 goes to $90.

USA also has a lower cost of living, all the gas bitching they do is about gallons which is roughly 4 liters, so they bitch about $3 a gallon while we're at roughly $8 for the same amount of gas give or take 0.25-0.50.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Component, transport & energy costs have gone through the roof though. Chip crises is also not over at all and a new node that costs way more per wafer doesn't exactly make things better.

The PS5 is still in N7. Components prices have gone down, such as flash memory, dram memory, etc.
Only energy prices have increased, mostly in the EU. But Sony doesn't make the PS5 in the EU.
It makes them in Asia, where several countries are getting russian gas and oil at a discount.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Happy to have mine since last year and at the reccomended price of 500€! Shame for Japan they have abandonned the market it seems.

Top Bottom