• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 owners- disc drive or no disc drive?

disc or digital only?

• PS5 Disc Edition

Votes: 425 76.2%
  • PS5 Digital Edition

Votes: 100 17.9%
  • Both

Votes: 11 2.0%
  • None

Votes: 22 3.9%

• Total voters
Again, people somehow believe that every game is broken and it's not true at all.
If not broken, incomplete.

Developers "Go Gold" before they finish the game. That's why there is basically always a Day One patch. They know they have the time between printing discs and the actual release to finish the game. What's on disc does not have that patch.

And often even the day one patch isn't quite complete in time and it takes extra weeks or months to get the game to the state they intended it to be in upon release.

This is in stark contrast to the days before online game connectivity. Back then a game breaking bug was catastrophic. Today, it's not nearly as big of a concern as long as they can fix it fast. But, of you only have access to whatever is on the disc, your game isn't getting fixed.

Last edited:

omegasc

I like having the option to buy physical games. Some great deals happen from time to time. But I prefer digital because I am a lazy bastard.

20cent

Banned
Disc version.
Not planning to buy any games on disc anymore, but I have too many physical PS4 games including some I haven't touched yet.
And PS3 discs as well, but hardware + disc emulation won't probably happen.

sendit

Sony made more disc versions of the PS5. Didn't have to vote to know the results. I would rather them dump the archaic physical medium.

Last edited:

ranmafan

While I have gone completely digital this generation for games, I still got the disk model for three big reasons. One much easier to get. Two to play the disk based games I haven't replaced with digital yet. And most importantly three, for watching bluray, uhd, dvd movies and tv shows. Especially anime disks.

Zeroing

Banned
No offence but the reason it is dead is because people like you buy and accept the digital version. You threw it into the coffin. How do you think they are getting away with it now?
So the solution is to buy the disk version even if I don’t use it? I moved to a small island. Second hand gaming doesn’t make sense financially here. Even if someone wanted to buy a game outside the island I’ll have to pay for shipping and the “island” shipping tax.

so… tell me what should I do? I don’t want to be the responsible for killing physical gaming ! I don’t wanna go to jail!

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
That's bs.

No, play lots of games, and the only one i have that it's so broken you need patches is cyberpunk.
Every other game i own, i can put the disk on the console, have no patches and play from start to finish without any game breaking bug, or glitches that can ruin my experience.
Again, people somehow believe that every game is broken and it's not true at all.
Without patch notes on the internet, nobody would even know what’s changing with these patches.
Besides, it’s interesting and useful to have gold disc version of the game. The one to back to off patches suck or remove content

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Disc Edition. Would never buy a digital only console unless every game was at least half price day one. Bought Miles and Ratchet on disc. Traded both in. Bought Kena digitally because I didn't want to wait and HFW digitally because I know an expansion, perhaps two is coming so the disc would be worthless to trade in by the time this happens.

Justin9mm

So the solution is to buy the disk version even if I don’t use it? I moved to a small island. Second hand gaming doesn’t make sense financially here. Even if someone wanted to buy a game outside the island I’ll have to pay for shipping and the “island” shipping tax.

so… tell me what should I do? I don’t want to be the responsible for killing physical gaming ! I don’t wanna go to jail!
If you care about the future of gaming then short answer is yes, you buy a physical disc version. Your situation is in minority in comparison to majority of the world. It doesn't hurt to have that option, you're telling me that you have fast enough internet on your small island for digital games but you can't go to the shop to buy a physical disc? I have a huge digital library but for new release games, I can save up to $40 or more in my country. The whole 'I only buy digital games' is the most ridiculous excuse under the sun. You can still choose to purchase 99% of your games digitally with a disc console. I don't understand why you want your statutory rights taken away. It's a matter of principal.

Rayderism

Even though I've been 100% digital since PS4 and Vita, I bought the disk edition of the PS5 simply because I don't wish to limit any potential options that may arise in the future.

Zeroing

Banned
If you care about the future of gaming then short answer is yes, you buy a physical disc version. Your situation is in minority in comparison to majority of the world. It doesn't hurt to have that option, you're telling me that you have fast enough internet on your small island for digital games but you can't go to the shop to buy a physical disc? I have a huge digital library but for new release games, I can save up to $40 or more in my country. The whole 'I only buy digital games' is the most ridiculous excuse under the sun. You can still choose to purchase 99% of your games digitally with a disc console. I don't understand why you want your statutory rights taken away. It's a matter of principal.
We have fast internet because of the submarine cable and we have no caps and yes it’s cheaper to buy digital, stores only lower the price after PSN does it but never cheaper than the digital version! Like you said I’m in a minority with very different situation than most people. But sure keep doing your lecture at only me!

Tommi84

Why would I want to limit my options? Especially that I still have quite a few ps4 disc-based games to complete

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
PS5 owners!
I'm curious and would like to know the ratio here on the forum between PS5 consoles with and without disc drive.

Which one did you buy?
What is the point of the “none/neither” option to canvass PS5 buyers?

Anyways, Disc because of UHD movies (do not want a separate player, always preferred PS movie playback to Xbox generally so with my XSX it is not like I thought I would have my movie playback needs fulfilled… I know, with neither supporting DV for Blu-Rays I am the sucker :p) and for PS4 discs I had.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I went with Series S because it was considerably cheaper, and because it's pretty much a Game Pass machine considering all MS IPs go there day one. But when it comes to PS5, I think the disc version is a no-brainer.
I went with the XSX because I wanted the best Xbox next gen visuals and to match my 4K TV as well as have the best versions of the BC titles from Xbox One (X), Xbox 360, and OG Xbox.

Kupfer

What is the point of the “none/neither” option to canvass PS5 buyers?
Simply to give people who can't control themselves and have to vote for something, even if the vote is not directed at them, a way out so that the results are not skewed. And hey ... it worked for 7 people ...
This way you can calculate the exact results yourself.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Simply to give people who can't control themselves and have to vote for something, even if the vote is not directed at them, a way out so that the results are not skewed. And hey ... it worked for 7 people ...
This way you can calculate the exact results yourself.
Fair :).

Bramble

Disc obviously: resell games, buy used games, pay less for new games, watch movies. Only pro of digital is it's cheaper, but that will even out fast when you buy used and resell.

The PS5 Digital Edition has been my choice.

The last disc I purchased was Arma II (PC). Everything after was digital: Steam, Gog, Epic. It is simply more convenient for me.

Ops, I voted for Disc Edition before reading all the options

I have no PS5 nor am I in a rush to get one, I just think that's the better purchase.

Last edited:

Kupfer

Ops, I voted for Disc Edition before reading all the options

I have no PS5 nor am I in a rush to get one, I just think that's the better purchase.
Why read 8 whole words before making a decision .... the world is doomed.
You can change your vote ;)

Last edited:

tommib

Fuck discs. Digital all the way. Couldn’t care less about having boxes of plastic and game discs lying around. I find it absurd to have to have a disc on a console to just authenticate a game that’s fully installed on my SSD. I was using Steam in 2005 and saw the future.

There’s no romanticism with game discs. These aren’t vinyl records with beautiful artwork.

I went out of my way to get a digital PS5 more than a year ago because they were impossible to find.

Last edited:
Why read 8 whole words before making a decision .... the world is doomed.
You can change your vote ;)
Thank you. I didn't know I could change it. It's not the norm to jump the gun, but it happened.

Amended it for result consistency.
digital obviously. physical is dying and the sooner people admit it the better.
I don't think it's about not admitting that it is happening, but about keeping doors open for as long as possible. If I was digital-only throughout the PS4 generation I would have overpaid. It's not like I prefer it, I prefer whatever costs less.

Consoles with disc drive will have higher resale value down the line while the Digital will be a hard sell.

And I do hope discs get replaced by something that can be bought on stores regardless. But to be fair, regulators are sleeping on the job and the future doesn't look bright. PS4 country-locked codes are bullshit. You can't change your storefront country, ever, and you can't buy a french game that comes with a code and redeeem in spain without creating a french psn account.

Insane. If that wasn't the case, replacing discs with code vouchers would suffice, what you need is availability of something that is an alternative to online buying. If it can be resold all the better.

I would like to resell some digital games I already finished and get some cashback. $5 would already be better than nothing. We'd be surprised that a lot of people would actually maintain plenty of games without selling back, but it would mean increased pressure on the console manufacturer to not discontinue the online storefront support and developers to not discontinue the online functionality of games. Just imagine everyone refunding GT Sports ahead of GT7, or refunding part of the Fifa 2021 value to buy Fifa 2022. I think that would be really fair.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I have already saved the diffrence in cost by buying discounted disc games over digital.

I have also used it as a UHD 4k blu-ray player... why would you go digital only?

GenericUser

Disc, disc as long as it will be an option. I like reselling games I don't like. Just recently happened with GT5. If I wouldn't be able to sell the game, I would have lost 70 euros. I also like the option to buy used, as long as the disc isn't scratched or something there really isn't anything that deteriorates in a videogame.

Filben

Physically of course. Half my library is on disc. Wouldn't mind full digital probably to be honest because I already have that on PC.

It's cool to share games on disc with friends though. We still do that regularly, like old times.

Oh, and still need the disc drive as Blu-ray player.

Last edited:

NeonDelta

Disc as I mainly use it for exclusives and I’m not paying 70 or 80 quid for games with no replayability Like ratchet and clank

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Don't understand the "save gaming by buying physical" stance. A non walled garden digital only place on console should be the actual goal, to give smaller devs breathing room and the ability to self publish. Musicians are able to make it without recordables (who had an iron grip on physical media) - all thanks to digitalization.

Kssio_Aug

I went with the XSX because I wanted the best Xbox next gen visuals and to match my 4K TV as well as have the best versions of the BC titles from Xbox One (X), Xbox 360, and OG Xbox.
And there's nothing wrong with that in my opinion. I just meant that, contrary to Series S, I don't really see enough reason for choosing the digital edition of PS5. The money a person might save buying physical games is more than enough, in a short to medium term, to make up for the difference in price. Obviously that is a subjective matter, and if a person always buys digital, this person might as well just save some money with the digital edition.

Last edited:

Kupfer

Small summary after one day:

Out of 308 PS5 owners, 252 people have purchased a PS5 with disc drive and 56 people have purchased one without.

That's about 82% disc drive to 18% digital edition.

I find that interesting, since it is, in addition to personal preference, also about availability and many, as it reads in the thread, have taken what was there.

Since Sony, as far as I know, does not publish official figures on the ratio between disc drive and digital editions, we have now roughly determined that there is one digital edition for every 4 disc drive editions.

Similar could be read on some sites at the time of release, at that time they assumed 20% -25% of digital editions, but in the meantime it has become quiet and I just wanted to "investigate" for myself.

Thanks for participating!

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Oh, well at least we can count on you to always hold Sony accountable. Microsoft, obviously can do no wrong, so put all your focus on holding Sony accountable on each and every issue.

Seriously, I find it funny you're complaining about Sony purposefully making Digital PS5s hard to come by, as if there are disc-based PS5s just piled up on store shelves or something.

Your response just proves what I said, nobody here holds them accountable. You just throw up yours hands and say "but they are all sold out" instead of actually looking at how many of each they built. Keep your head in the sand, it's fine.

For the record, there's plenty that ms does wrong, but since there's 3 to 1 posters who hold ms accountable vs sony, no reason for me to add to that lopsided story.

Top Bottom