• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 owners- disc drive or no disc drive?

disc or digital only?

• PS5 Disc Edition

Votes: 425 76.2%
  • PS5 Digital Edition

Votes: 100 17.9%
  • Both

Votes: 11 2.0%
  • None

Votes: 22 3.9%

• Total voters

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Tons of people would have bought the digital, if available, I can't prove it but it sure appears Sony intentionally underbuilt it in order to save money. It's like the bakery who offers 20 loafs a day for 99 cents, then the next 200 are $1.20.
Doesn't sit well with me but nobody seems to care or hold them accountable. You'd think considering the market, they would be building at least 40% digital, it seems more like 10%.

solidus12

Disc edition of course.
I've noticed that the disc drive is louder when using PS4 discs compared to PS5 discs.

Maybe that's just me? :messenger_grimmacing_

[Sigma]

Disc Edition. Historically, ive gotten day 1 discounts a lot of the times. Plus I see price drops faster when it comes to discs than on PSN and last im a steelbook edition collector so I like to get that at times for games im absolutely hyped about or I just really liked the look of the steelbook.

Esca

Disc edition. I actually had the chance to get the digital but picked disc still knowing I'll just buy things digitally. I bought the disc edition for my 80ish disc games I had left for my ps4. Still have my launch ps3 that still works fine so I can play the rest of my ps games.

I'm fully digital though on my ps5 and was on when the ps4 pro came out is when I switched to full digital. Been digital on the pc for ages, probably a little after half life 2. Nintendo digital, hahaha

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
digital obviously. physical is dying and the sooner people admit it the better.
Seems like a myopic take. Physical gives you access to digital sales as well as physical. Case in point, Guardians of the Galaxy was $14 used from Gamefly in the last sale. It's been $30+ on digital. A digital console just limits your options and ensures you will be paying more.

Disc only. Why would I pay potentially more for something that I can't physically hold in my hands.

VbqM9MR.gif

WitchHunter

You can't bring your digital copies with you in the grave. What will future archeologist think when they unearth your grave? Look, another peasant, nothing was buried with him. Move on.

G-Bus

Banned
I got disc drive and I don't think I own a single physical ps5 game. have watched a bluray or two though.

Even if you don't plan on using it, it's nice to still be able to.

If you plan to buy discs, than obviously you know what to do. If your 100% sure your fine to go full digital, than go ahead and get the digital, if you can find one.

I got the disc edition. I'm not wealthy enough to go full digital at those rip off prices. There are good sales on the ps store often though but outside of that, it's a ripoff. You can get the physical copy for half the price.

Last edited:

skit_data

Got the Digital Edition, but I wish I went with the Standard Edition for three reasons:
1. Prices in the EU are ridiculous.
2. I bought a 4k TV, so I’d like to get UHD movies on disc.
3. …and because I went with a Digital Edition I have to keep my PS3 hooked up to watch the blu-rays I own.

Edit: On the upside I got it at launch day. And it looks way better than the Standard Edition.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
When I get mine I am going discless

Reminds me of the ghostbusters scene lol

“Yes this man has no dick” 😂😂😂

Last edited:
Our public library loans out ps5 games for a week at a time and you can borrow it for longer if no one puts a hold on it. With that in mind we went with the disc version.

Doesn't sit well with me but nobody seems to care or hold them accountable.
Oh, well at least we can count on you to always hold Sony accountable. Microsoft, obviously can do no wrong, so put all your focus on holding Sony accountable on each and every issue.

Seriously, I find it funny you're complaining about Sony purposefully making Digital PS5s hard to come by, as if there are disc-based PS5s just piled up on store shelves or something.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
not only you don’t get the control over your account and games but there are games not sold on psn. Maybe like driveclub

Dthomp

Physical, the sooner gamers realize that a digital only future for home console systems will never happen the better.

Valonquar

DIsc edition I don't think I've put a single disc into. I have a small handful of Blu-Rays I'd at least like to still be able to play if the mood hits me.

Rivet

Disc, as an option. I basically go full digital these days just because I hate constantly swapping discs. But having the option to play discs too is great.

Definitely disc version because I prefer physical and I get the best of both worlds. I still will buy digital when it’s reasonable or exclusive, but I don’t want to shut myself out from all possible gaming options. Also, I don’t trust none of these companies with their digital pricing especially with no competition.

Quezacolt

$70 unpatched, incomplete games pressed to a disc are also not okay.

Digital.
like every day 1 patch changes games drastically, right? 99% of games can be played without patches and you'd have no issues.
it's absurd that people still believe the myth that an unpatched game is a broken mess.
the games that are like that, they most of the times, keep being broken messes even after getting patches.

like every day 1 patch changes games drastically, right? 99% of games can be played without patches and you'd have no issues.
it's absurd that people still believe the myth that an unpatched game is a broken mess.
the games that are like that, they most of the times, keep being broken messes even after getting patches.
Have you been away from gaming the last decade?

Damn that sucks, it would have been days before I got to play if my copy of GT7 was like that.
You can't play GT7 offline anyways.

Switch is the worst. Often you buy an empty box with a download code. Or when there is a cartridge, it's often only 10% of the game and you still need to download the rest.

Last edited:

Nydius

Probably already been said but I'm lazy and didn't go through every post. You might spend more up-front for the disk edition but you'll save more in the long run by having the option of purchasing physical copies when they're on sale -- sometimes deeply discounted. It doesn't even take long for physical releases to go on sale these days whereas console digital sales take much longer and, in my opinion, are lacking.

I mentioned this elsewhere a week or two ago: Consider Cyberpunk, which has repeatedly been marked down to $10 (and twice marked down to $5 at Best Buy) for the physical copy. The cheapest it's ever been on either Sony or Microsoft's digital storefronts has been $25.

[Sigma]

You can't play GT7 offline anyways.

Switch is the worst. Often you buy an empty box with a download code. Or when there is a cartridge, it's often only 10% of the game and you still need to download the rest.
I know, but he was saying his copy of GT7 basically didn't have the game's data on it. Mine did.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Probably already been said but I'm lazy and didn't go through every post. You might spend more up-front for the disk edition but you'll save more in the long run by having the option of purchasing physical copies when they're on sale -- sometimes deeply discounted. It doesn't even take long for physical releases to go on sale these days whereas console digital sales take much longer and, in my opinion, are lacking.

I mentioned this elsewhere a week or two ago: Consider Cyberpunk, which has repeatedly been marked down to $10 (and twice marked down to $5 at Best Buy) for the physical copy. The cheapest it's ever been on either Sony or Microsoft's digital storefronts has been $25.
Also the disc version is more valuable. Even though it costs an extra $100, when you resell/trade it in, you'll probably get back most of it. The longer it goes the gap will close, but 5 years from now, you'll probably still get $50 extra for it.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Disc edition although I haven’t bought a single physical game for it. Just wanted the disc drive for backwards compatibility and blu ray playback

Quezacolt

No, because the game is usually still unfinished even after that patch. Unless the developer has a squeaky clean track record or they're a first party studio, we normally receive a good, functional game within 6 to 12 months after release.
That's bs.

Have you been away from gaming the last decade?
No, play lots of games, and the only one i have that it's so broken you need patches is cyberpunk.
Every other game i own, i can put the disk on the console, have no patches and play from start to finish without any game breaking bug, or glitches that can ruin my experience.
Again, people somehow believe that every game is broken and it's not true at all.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
there is no point of getting a digital version as the disc version has a disc drive..... its 2 versus 1

Topher

Gold Member
Tons of people would have bought the digital, if available, I can't prove it but it sure appears Sony intentionally underbuilt it in order to save money. It's like the bakery who offers 20 loafs a day for 99 cents, then the next 200 are $1.20.
Doesn't sit well with me but nobody seems to care or hold them accountable. You'd think considering the market, they would be building at least 40% digital, it seems more like 10%.

How would Sony be saving money by underbuilding the DE when they would be making more money on every digital game sold? Seems pretty obvious to me that the disc version was just more in demand.

That's bs.

No, play lots of games, and the only one i have that it's so broken you need patches is cyberpunk.
Every other game i own, i can put the disk on the console, have no patches and play from start to finish without any game breaking bug, or glitches that can ruin my experience.
Again, people somehow believe that every game is broken and it's not true at all.
This entire conversation hinges on which games all 3 of us have individually played and our experiences with them. For me, EA, Ubisoft, Bethesda, Eidos, and a few others have been releasing unpolished, buggy, and broken messes of games at launch lately. For example, I have a hard time believing you would pop in a disc to Farcry 6 version 1.0 with zero patches and claim that it's a completely fine product, the same as you not believing that version of the game was a complete and utter mess for me.

We could trade lists back and forth to try and prove each other wrong, or instead, if you're alright with it, we'll agree to disagree on this.

Top Bottom