• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 owners- disc drive or no disc drive?

disc or digital only?

• PS5 Disc Edition

Votes: 425 76.2%
  • PS5 Digital Edition

Votes: 100 17.9%
  • Both

Votes: 11 2.0%
  • None

Votes: 22 3.9%

• Total voters

Kupfer

PS5 owners!
I'm curious and would like to know the ratio here on the forum between PS5 consoles with and without disc drive.

Which one did you buy?

UPDATE #3 08/12/2022
Out of 520 valid console owners, 420 received a disc and 100 received a digital edition.
That's a ratio of roughly 81% disc PS5 owners to 19% digital edition PS5 owners.

UPDATE #2 05/01/2022
Out of 405 valid console owners, 334 received a disc and 71 received a digital edition.
100 votes later than the previous update, that's still a ratio of 82% to 18%.

UPDATE #1 04/29/2022:
Small summary after one day:
Out of 308 PS5 owners, 252 people have purchased a PS5 with disc drive and 56 people have purchased one without.
That's about 82% disc drive to 18% digital edition.
I find that interesting, since it is, in addition to personal preference, also about availability and many, as it reads in the thread, have taken what was there.
Since Sony, as far as I know, does not publish official figures on the ratio between disc drive and digital editions, we have now roughly determined that there is one digital edition for every 4 disc drive editions.
Similar could be read on some sites at the time of release, at that time they assumed 20% -25% of digital editions, but in the meantime it has become quiet and I just wanted to "investigate" for myself.
Thanks for participating!

Last edited:

T-Cake

Digital. But PlayStation is no longer my main gaming device so I'm happy to just sit and wait and see what gets given for free on PS+/PS Now.

Aenima

Even if you prefer digital only games, never handicap yourself with a digital only console. While thers an option, always go to the one that offers physical discs.

Practical example. The only way to play The Last Guardian at 60 FPS, is using a physical disk on PS5 without installing the day 1 patch. The digital version of the game is locked at 30fps.

Arthimura

Physical. Even without touching the topic of ownership of games, in my country just doesn't make sense going digital.

Prices of physical copies drops faster while digital copies stays with the price closer to the release price for months/years.

Why am I going to pay more for something that I don't own, can't sell, trade or lend?

theHFIC

Mine has the disc drive. Still have plenty of disc based PS4 games and I have been getting a lot better deals on PS5 disc based games than the Digital Store Sales.

Even though the disc contents nowadays is basically a text file that lets me download a 40 gig day one update any future console for me will still have a drive.

digital obviously. physical is dying and the sooner people admit it the better.
Yeah less choice and higher prices from the store are better than physical.
e39567133-meme-thinking.gif

sainraja

Even though most of the games I have gotten recently have been digital, I like to have the option of disc, specially for older games I've purchased on disc for the PS4. I probably still would have gone with disc version even if most of my PS4 games were digital.

We Portuguese are hoarders, we rarely give up a game and when we do, there is so many disks of the same game on second hand sales that nobody will give a fair price. This is Nintendo and Sony land but could be worse, you can be giving away a free xbox game and nobody would want it.

Brazil and Portugal have a crazy video game scene

Digital owners will keep telling you to get digital to help them justify their own purchase lol

Get Disc Version, it's always good to have options and buying many disc games are significantly cheaper than the digital PS Store version, I remember a few months ago I saw R&C Rift Apart in my local game store for £30, and at the same time the PS Store version was £70. It's happened with so many games now.

Lol

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Have the disc edition, would go with the digital edition now. The BD player is shit in the PS5 (no dolby vision, clunky operation with the controller, fan noise) so I got a dedicated one.
I got every game digital - because fuck swapping discs. I don't play old gen games, that's not what I got this machine for.

Have the disc edition, would go with the digital edition now. The BD player is shit in the PS5 (no dolby vision, clunky operation with the controller, fan noise) so I got a dedicated one.
I got every game digital - because fuck swapping discs. I don't play old gen games, that's not what I got this machine for.

How many PS4 or PS5 games have multiple discs

Like 2. And one is the install disc used used once

What a terrible argument against disc

Last edited:

Quezacolt

We Portuguese are hoarders, we rarely give up a game and when we do, there is so many disks of the same game on second hand sales that nobody will give a fair price. This is Nintendo and Sony land but could be worse, you can be giving away a free xbox game and nobody would want it.
I also live in portugal, and the market isnt as bad as you say. Also, many retailers have something like a 15% discount if you pre-order games.
Got Returnal, sealed, for 30 euros, after 3 months or so afte release, when it was full price on ps store, wich is also more expensive than physical anyway.

Kssio_Aug

I went with Series S because it was considerably cheaper, and because it's pretty much a Game Pass machine considering all MS IPs go there day one. But when it comes to PS5, I think the disc version is a no-brainer.

Zeroing

Banned
I also live in portugal, and the market isnt as bad as you say. Also, many retailers have something like a 15% discount if you pre-order games.
Got Returnal, sealed, for 30 euros, after 3 months or so afte release, when it was full price on ps store, wich is also more expensive than physical anyway.
It is, I moved to Madeira island. Now you can imagine that mess... if i want to send something to the mainland I have to pay, Worten here does not care about second hand games etc...

Top Bottom