• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Swapping

Have you swapped your PS5?

• I had the standard edition but swapped to the digital edition

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • I had the digital edition but swapped to the standard edition

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • I bought the standard edition and kept it

Votes: 55 72.4%
  • I bought the digital edition and kept it

Votes: 14 18.4%
  • My system died and I replaced it with the same model

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters

Celcius

°Temp. member
This generation of PlayStation has been unique in that the disk drive is optional. At first most PS5 consoles were the standard edition and the digital edition was hard to find.
Over time that changed, then some people bought the digital edition but later regretted not being able to play disc games. On the other hand if you don't play disks at all then the digital console is a little sleeker and arguably better looking (and cheaper).

Have any of you bought one edition but then later switched to the other version? or are you still on your original PS5?

angrod14

I bought the standard one because I have some PS4 physical games I still have to complete. Once I do that I'd like to get the upcoming version with optional drive. I don't care much about the dettachable drive but at this point there's no reason to swap for the OG Digital Edition.

Mahavastu

I kept my PS5s (1 digital, 1 normal) I got at launch. Never thought about changing it.
If there would be a cheap way to add a disc drive to the digital edition I might do that, but somehow most of the games I have on disc ended up at PS+ or in my digital library anyway, so I don't really care that much...

ReBurn

Gold Member
I will swap if the rumored slimmer model with detached drive appears. I would definitely swap for a pro model.

Puscifer

Had a digital one, but sold to my little sister for her son. Bought a disc version the next morning from Target lol during the shortage, no clue how I managed that

Banjo64

cumsessed
I had a digital one but it was too ugly to keep under the same roof as my children.

Give me a slim Jim and I’ll be back on board.

danklord

Gold Member
Digital day one. I'm a lifelong PC gamer, so buying digital doesn't bother me, and I buy most of Sony's first-party games on day one anyway. I appreciate not having the clutter in my living room. With an additional m.2 drive, it's great to never think about discs and have your whole catalog instantly available. Though it does sometimes sting when I see the retail deals during the Holidays.

I went with digital and my only regret is not being able to play 4k blu-rays. Which isn't a big deal anyway because I own none, lol.

Also, it doesn't do Dolby Vision or perform as well as standalone uhd blu ray players, so if that's what you're chasing, it's not the thing.

Last edited:

Leonidas

I've only ever had the digital edition, that's the only model I ever wanted. And it's a nicer looking console.

$100 less and no useless (to me) disc drive.

I don't even have to buy games, I've beaten over 10 games on PS5 in the past 5 months thanks to PS+ Extra.

With PS+ Extra I have no reason to buy any games as it seems every PS5 exclusive I've been interested in has come to it so far, and it allows me to try other games I might not have tried.

Valonquar

I have the disc version from launch. I have put a total of one disc inside of it, one time just to see how loud the drive was. My next console will be completely digital 100%

Lone Wolf

Had the digital. Sold it when I got the disc version. I’m all digital with games, but I buy all my movies on disc.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I originally wanted a digital edition, but bought a HFW bundle with the disc version because that was all that was available at the time. I got bored with PS5 and sold it for what I paid. Bought a PS4 Pro for a killer deal to play GoW Ragnarok then sold it all for what I paid. The PS5 digital edition finally came up for sale at GameStop so I bought one and, in effect, used the difference between the HFW disc bundle and the PS5 DE to get a Pulse 3D headset and black side plates.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
I have the disc version from launch. I have put a total of one disc inside of it, one time just to see how loud the drive was. My next console will be completely digital 100%
I was the exact same way lol. I put one disc in a few weeks ago just to see how loud the drive is and then went back to never using the disk drive.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I buy majority of my games physical so bought disk version from get to and I never needed to swap it.

Banned
I actually swapped a digital for a disc version.
a friend of mine had a disc version, he doesn't buy discs tho and he liked the look of the digital version more, so we swapped and I gave him an Xbox controller as a bonus on top to seal the deal.

Top Bottom