• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Beta Update Introduces Discord Chat,1440p VRR & Wireless Controller Updates

TrebleShot

Very nice,
Four massive changes that I appreciated:

• Percentage of main mission completed on the dashboard, this is amazing, I don't have too much time to play games day to day and seeing how far I am in a game is really important for instance seeing I am 33% into DS remake is brilliant.
  • Hours played, I just like seeing which games I have spent the most time in at a glance and just seeing what I sink my time into, GT7 is top with 120hrs wow.
  • Wireless controller updates, wow, seems so small but makes a big difference
  • Being able to play digital versions of the disc version of the games you own - havent tested this but something is mentioned in the patch notes about it.

I feel as though Sony are slowly but surely developing the PS5 into a really nice gaming hub, when you use something like it then swap to PC for instance you realise how cack handed gaming on PC is, everything is a third party, hacked or awkwardly implemented.

Next Id like to see the following for PS5:

• Reviews in the store with user rating - Not sure if it would ever happen considering sony may be afraid of user review bombing
  • Indication in the store on time to beat, maybe integration with how long to beat
  • Best sellers and most wish listed more prominent
  • Further enhancements on the resume activity section, at the moment its quite large in the UI directly below the tiles, needs to be a bit smaller and plugged into the rest of the UI enhancements.
  • The new trophies tile is slick and I like it but Id like to see the integration into the rest of the UI to be a bit more cohesive, its a little bit awkward, you click the tile, it opens another pane with the trophies listed full screen, I think trophies listed in an activity card is good enough so link to that.
  • Extend the VRR range

Last edited:
Can someone testing the discord features clear something up for me? Once you've made a channel or party or whatever using discord, and you're talking with some of your friends on discord and other friends on PS5, are PS4 users able to join that party?

I only saw mention of the feature working on PS5, and I get that you might only be able to start a discord party using the new PS5 beta, but it would be pretty sad if PS4 users were never able to join these parties. Is that working yet?

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Wireless updates are huge.
Really cool features, they should integrate Playstation Stars into the console. It's a nice program, I saved 25€ thanks to it but until it is restricted to the app many people won't even know about it.

They should consider enabling point rewards within the program for people who buy disk based games, and not only digital ones.

Just put a QR code or a flyer within the games box, which, when scanned, gives you a unique code to register your game within the program/app.

I know it's a pain in the ass, but it is also a pain in the ass being unable to collect points just because you don't buy digital games.

Last edited:

Kupfer

Is it?
Seems like the simplest dashboard yet.
For me, there are just way too many functions, menus, submenus, and duplicate key bindings.
This started with the PS4 and I couldn't get used to it.

The XMB of the PS3 / PSP was superior in its simplicity and could offer the same functionality in meaningful categories without this, in my eyes, arbitrary menu structure of the current console.

Simple, plain, functional and clearly arranged

ikwHsUF.jpg

I've had the PS5 for 2 years now and still have to fiddle around when I want to get to certain places in the menu(s).

And I'm not alone with this :
gTGgwkE.jpg

Last edited:

bitbydeath

For me, there are just way too many functions, menus, submenus, and duplicate key bindings.

The XMB of the PS3 / PSP was superior in its simplicity and could offer the same functionality in meaningful categories without this, in my eyes, arbitrary menu structure of the current console.

ikwHsUF.jpg

I've had the PS5 for 2 years now and still have to fiddle around when I want to get to certain places in the menu(s).

gTGgwkE.jpg
I usually just pick a game and press X, could be three button presses tops, or even just load straight in without pressing anything.

Ar¢tos

I wonder if they get rid of the PS4 install icon for a game where the PS5 version exists. Death stranding PS4 to PS5 upgrade is one good example.
?!??
Why?
What's wrong with having options?
Some people might want to have both versions installed for whatever reason. Or prefer to run the ps4 on ps5 because of performance issues (ex Elden Ring at launch).

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
?!??
Why?
What's wrong with having options?
Some people might want to have both versions installed for whatever reason. Or prefer to run the ps4 on ps5 because of performance issues (ex Elden Ring at launch).

Give me an option to disable it then? I have a PS5 so l don't need to see PS4 and PS5 game icons!

Ar¢tos

Give me an option to disable it then? I have a PS5 so l don't need to see PS4 and PS5 game icons!
But there are still some games (indies) being released for Ps4 only, without a native ps5 version. If you don't know which version you have it will add confusion when, for example, trying to backup saves.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
But there are still some games (indies) being released for Ps4 only, without a native ps5 version. If you don't know which version you have it will add confusion when, for example, trying to backup saves.
So then you display the PS4 icon as there's no PS5 version. But do l need to see both? - nope. I want an option to hide PS4 icons if there's no PS5 icon, otherwise show the PS5 icon only.

Sometimes what happens is l click the PS4 game icon by accident and it starts installing. I meant to click PS5 game icon, where the game is already installed. So an option would clean things up for me.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

So then you display the PS4 icon as there's no PS5 version. But do l need to see both? - nope. I want an option to hide PS4 icons if there's no PS5 icon, otherwise show the PS5 icon only.

Sometimes what happens is l click the PS4 game icon by accident and it starts installing. I meant to click PS5 game icon, where the game is already installed. So an option would clean things up for me.
I see, it's a disc game issue only. Yeah, maybe adding a setting to prevent this on disc games.

Mr Moose

Link/Quote?
The way installed games are started has been changed.
If your PS5 has the downloaded version of a game that you haven't purchased (such as those that other users on your PS5 have purchased). and if you have the disc version, you can now play the installed downloaded version by inserting the disc (without installing the disc version).
Similarly, if you've installed a game using the disc, and you've purchased the downloaded version of the game, you can now play the installed disc version of the game without installing the disc.

reksveks

Quoting isn't working but Mr Moose Mr Moose its basically you don't have to reinstall games from going between a 'digital licensed game' to a 'disc licensed game' ?

I incorrectly read the 'Being able to play digital versions of the disc version of the games you own' as you not needing the disc in the drive.

TVexperto

Really cool features, they should integrate Playstation Stars into the console. It's a nice program, I saved 25€ thanks to it but until it is restricted to the app many people won't even know about it.
wait what? how do i join this programm, i would like to get a coupon as well :D

angrod14

I thought 1440P VRR was already a thing? Isn't TLOU Part I "Performance unlocked" mode 1440p VRR?

Last edited:

Mr Moose

I thought 1440P VRR was already a thing? Isn't TLOU Part I Performance + Mode 1440p VRR?
This is screen res not game res.
PS5 had 1440p non-VRR for a while now but this update brings it in line with 1080p/4k.

Last edited:

Elios83

You need to use the Playstation App on your smartphone. There's the Playstation Stars icon/section and you can join the program for free and quickly.
Once you're part of the program when you buy games on the store or satisfy certain requirements that change every month (most of them are pretty easy, you just have to launch certain specific games) you get as a reward 3D trophies and points. The points can be exchanged for actual Playstation Store credit.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/playstation-stars/

angrod14

Fake

ikwHsUF.jpg

gTGgwkE.jpg

PS3 XMB is the best UI ever made.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I identify with PlayStation and their professionalism they’re aware of discord and today it’s apart of ps5.

wvnative

I'm confused about the discord implementation, can I use the discord app to talk to friends who are in a normal PS5 party? I briefly tried it last night and it booted me out of the party and made like, a separate discord party, but didn't have time to figure out if I could invite friends to that party.

Luipadre

Its working great on the LG 27" OLED 240hz monitor just wish this screen didn't look like someone smeared Vaseline on it

its that bad? im hearing mixed things about the coating. Man im waiting for these monitors for years now i dunno what to do. Maybe i should wait more :(

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
its that bad? im hearing mixed things about the coating. Man im waiting for these monitors for years now i dunno what to do. Maybe i should wait more :(
Its pretty bad and really wish LG would have had 2 options as I would have for sure picked a glossy screen since I mainly use it at night and reflections are not an issue

Its still by far the cleanest looking picture I have ever seen in a monitor even at 1440p and super fast games look great if you have a PC good enough to drive the 240 hz

Top Bottom