• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Beta Update Introduces Discord Chat,1440p VRR & Wireless Controller Updates

bitbydeath

Didn’t see it mentioned but look closely at this screenshot.

2964fd30b4eac4b1ed09a4e3e833f509bbfae5aa-scaled.jpg

Elios83

The hours played thing?

Also:

New “Friends Who Play” Tile. In game hubs, you can now see which of your friends have the game, who is currently online, and who is currently playing the game. By selecting the tile, you can see what your friends are doing now, and you can also access your friends’ profiles, where you’ll be given more interaction options.

Last edited:

TrebleShot

Hours played! that's brilliant!
Finally the UI is getting a little more user friendly.

In the UK we still do not have the new "whats new" section that you got in the US.
We also never got the news section you have in the US, we have one less tab.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Variable Refresh Rate support for 1440p. You can now enjoy smoother visual performance when using a VRR-compatible HDMI 2.1 display at 1440p resolution, when playing a game that supports VRR.

Why? HDMI 2.0 should be sufficient, right?

Reactions: RNG

Arioco

Variable Refresh Rate support for 1440p. You can now enjoy smoother visual performance when using a VRR-compatible HDMI 2.1 display at 1440p resolution, when playing a game that supports VRR.

Why? HDMI 2.0 should be sufficient, right?

PS5 only supports HDMI VRR and that's a 2.1 feature. There are a few TVs that support VRR through HDMI 2.0 out there (they adopted some 2.1 features before 2.1 was even released), I used to have one of them but I sold it, so I won't be able to test if it works with PS5 VRR.

I think SONY should enable Freesync support for PS5 anyways. Many people own a Freesync compatible monitor that doesn't support HDMI VRR, and now that SONY manufactures it's own monitors and accessories for gaming it would be a nice addition. Besides, Freesync range is wider (40-120 vs 48-120 fps). It also would be great if they implemented Low Framerate Compensation as a system level feature like XBOX does, otherwise SONY is just giving extra job to developers and many of then end up not implementing those features for those who own a VRR compatible display.

Last edited:

Hugare

Sigh, Sony will never support Gsync and Freesync, huh?

I have a Freesync monitor and not being able to use it properly bothers me so much.

All Series consoles support both Gsync and Freesync, so its possible.

Mr Moose

Sigh, Sony will never support Gsync and Freesync, huh?

I have a Freesync monitor and not being able to use it properly bothers me so much.

All Series consoles support both Gsync and Freesync, so its possible.
Isn't it just the Gsync screen supports FreeSync?

Last edited:

FUBARx89

PS5 only supports HDMI VRR and that's a 2.1 feature. There are a few TVs that support VRR through HDMI 2.0 out there (they adopted some 2.1 features before 2.1 was even released), I used to have one of them but I sold it, so I won't be able to test if it works with PS5 VRR.

I think SONY should enable Freesync support for PS5 anyways. Many people own a Freesync compatible monitor that doesn't support HDMI VRR, and now that SONY manufactures it's own monitors and accessories for gaming it would be a nice addition. Besides, Freesync range is wider (40-120 vs 48-120 fps). It also would be great if they implemented Low Framerate Compensation as a system level feature like XBOX does, otherwise SONY is just giving extra job to developers and many of then end up not implementing those features for those who own a VRR compatible display.

The "enhanced" 2.0b HDMI ports can indeed support VRR on PS5. My TV does it no bother.

Soooo, if anyone gets a spare UK code al take one. If I get a spare code al give it away.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
I wonder if they get rid of the PS4 install icon for a game where the PS5 version exists. Death stranding PS4 to PS5 upgrade is one good example.

Chronicle

Still no more customization or folders ? Meh.
Dashboard sucks
Woah slow down, man. These updates (which were on previous systems and should be implemented on day one) need to be rolled out over an eight year generation or we'll want something new! S/

Arioco

The "enhanced" 2.0b HDMI ports can indeed support VRR on PS5. My TV does it no bother.

Soooo, if anyone gets a spare UK code al take one. If I get a spare code al give it away.

That's great! Thanks for letting us know. I couldn't possibly know since I sold my VRR compatible TV with HDMI 2.0b before SONY implemented this feature... 🙄

NeonDelta

hopefully i can now continue fallout 4 without having the disc in. even though i have it digitally my save game is not compatible with that version.

FUBARx89

hopefully i can now continue fallout 4 without having the disc in. even though i have it digitally my save game is not compatible with that version.

Was it like a GOTY edition or something?

Dunno why but GOTY editions are dumb for not utilising PS4 saves. Ala Witcher 3, Shadow Of Mordor etc etc.

Top Bottom