• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5’s True “Generation-Defining” Games Won’t Come Until 2022 Says Jim Ryan

iJudged

Banned
jack black wtf GIF

Three

Gold Member
I don't know, your milage may vary but i don't think a thread where jim says devs take about 2 years to make generation defining games is worth a bump 6 months later to tell Jim to not make games on PC and PS4 but that's just me. 🤷‍♂️

People can do whatever they like l was just wondering why though.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
You
As a PS5 owner thanks Jim! Now I get to see starfield on Xbox this year and wonder why I bought in on that generations message!
You may or may not see Starfield this year but we'll definitely see Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart this year

SSfox

It's obvious, that pretty much how it always been with new consoles generations, but surpring he says that, i don't think it's good PR thing to say. The random casual would think "huh so what's the point of buying ps5 now, i'll wait 2022"

reinking

Gold Member
So I can kick it when it has no exclusives. Lol nah I just placed it there and haven’t moved it yet.
So we can expect you will be complaining to the cabinet manufacturer that you do not have enough content to use your drawers? :messenger_winking_tongue:

The PlayStation 5 has officially launched in all regions of the world, but it may be a while before truly transformational next-gen experiences arrive. Sony Interactive Entertainment CEO Jim Ryan famously stated that the company “believes in generations,” but a number of PS5 blockbusters including Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Horizon Forbidden West, and possibly God of War Ragnarok, are crossgen titles, and other Sony execs have hinted PS4 support will continue for at least another three years. Jim Ryan reiterated this idea in a new interview with the Russian News Agency TASS

So, if crossgen is going to be a reality of life for some time to come, when are those real next-gen PS5 experiences going to arrive? Stuff that wouldn’t even be imaginable on PS4? According to Ryan, they aren’t coming this year or even next year – 2022 is when the PS5’s power will be truly tapped.

Again, this doesn’t mean there won’t be PS5 exclusives before then – we already have two big ones in Demon’s Souls and the upcoming Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart. But it seems the real mind-blowing stuff with the fidelity of that amazing Unreal Engine 5 PS5 demo, is still some ways away.

The PlayStation 5 is available now worldwide. What do you think about Ryan’s comments? Are a couple years too long to wait for those generation-defining games? Or are you cool with this transitional period?

Uh oh.

Returnal?? :D I mean, there are already next-gen exclusives since day one. So, "we believe in generations" holds the water. There was also a PS3/PS4 cross-gen exclusive games - like Injustice, LittleBigPlaned 3, Toukiden, MLB

Last edited:
It’s been trademarked for 2021 I believe it’s happening

People try to guess a lot of things based on trademarks and it typically always amounts to nothing

Anyway all they're doing is filing for an extension until they can file for a statement of use

Last edited:

Spokker

Killzone Shadow Fall was one of the most impressive launch titles on any console, we probably won't see anything like that again. Still easily in top 3 best looking FPS games of last gen.
100%. The materials and lighting were things the previous generation could not even come close to pulling off.

The downsides were a bit of aliasing and an inconsistent framerate, but the leap was apparent from day 1.

Last edited:

sainraja

I should say Destiny was the first in Sep 2014.

Massive success, supreme gameplay, no game (at last on console) did what it did, every big publisher started to try to create it own Destiny (even today they are trying), etc etc etc.. B
Destiny was actually cross generation though.

Reindeer

100%. The materials and lighting were things the previous generation could not even come close to pulling off.

The downsides were a bit of aliasing and an inconsistent framerate, but the leap was apparent from day 1.
PS5 version is locked 60fps so that's most of the problems fixed. The leap was huge indeed.

Top Bottom