• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Projecting The 12 Live Service Games At PlayStation

mitch1971

Easter Bunny Loop GIF by Super Simple

One basket. Load of eggs.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Looks like Sony is taking a big crack at MP again. They tried it a lot during the PS3 days, and gave up after KZ Shadowfall. During PS3 they had KZ, Resistance, MAG, SOCOM, Motorstorm, those big PC shooter ports like Planetside 2 and probably some more I missed. All MP, but at the time no mtx except whatever limited map packs to cosmetics were released that gen. The mtx revenue is only so big.

In an old article Jim Ryan or one of the other execs even said, all they need is 1-2 of them to be giant sellers. And that would cover the failures of the rest.

The MTX revenue model is too tempting to give up. It used to be everyone trying to copy COD. Then it was PUBG, then Fortnite.

Last edited:

Godot25

Banned
I wonder what strategy will Sony choose here. Putting those GAAS games into PS Plus day one is no-brainer outside of Bungie games and I honestly expect TLOU MP to be free-to-play...
...but knowing Sony, they will try to charge 70$ for TLOU MP and then wonder why they live service is not working

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I wonder what strategy will Sony choose here. Putting those GAAS games into PS Plus day one is no-brainer outside of Bungie games and I honestly expect TLOU MP to be free-to-play...
...but knowing Sony, they will try to charge 70$ for TLOU MP and then wonder why they live service is not working
We'll have to wait and see their approach.

Sony has been supporters of full price gaming, and no day one games on sub services.

I hate this GaaS-infested live service turnaround by Sony. Stick to high end single player games.
Because they've stopped the single player games?

As for some of the 12 GaaS games
Gran Turismo 7
MLB The Show
Destruction All-Stars (failed)
TLOU Online
Twisted Metal
Destiny 2
Bungie's next game
Haven's game

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Because they suck at it. Their MP-centric output during PS3 was mediocre at best. And now it's gonna be infested with mtx-galore. No thanks. Stick to your strengths and what you do best.

Who's "they"?

What percentage of employees who made the failed PS3 multiplayer games do you think are working on the 12 PS5 live service titles?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Source from the OP forgot...

1. Helldivers 2
2. FireSprites two multiplayer games.
3. Firewalks multiplayer game.
4. Insomniacs multiplayer project.
5. Sony Bends next multiplayer game.
6. Housemarque has been hinting at multiplayer.
7. Media Molecule is hiring for Live Service.

Last edited:

vivftp

Because they suck at it. Their MP-centric output during PS3 was mediocre at best. And now it's gonna be infested with mtx-galore. No thanks. Stick to your strengths and what you do best.

In the past they did a half-hearted push into multiplayer content, whereas this is a full, proper push into that sphere. We can't take their past efforts as an indication of what's to come because they've never put this level of effort into live services games before. They even brought in Bungie who have a wealth of knowledge they can tap into for live service games to help with their other efforts. We don't yet know much about what this live service push will look like, but we do have Hermen Hulst talking about how live service games can have great stories as well, so it seems like they may take what they've learned with their amazing single player games and integrate that into their live service approach. We already know that the TLOU MP title has its own story for folks to experience.

Even with all the live service games they're doing, they're not ignoring their single player content in the least so you're still getting exactly what you want. If anything the live service push will help to generate more revenue that will help to further expand their portfolio so we can get even more games. You should be WANTING them to succeed in the live service sector because they'll have more money to sprinkle around all of SIE. Just like they'll be earning more money from their PC, mobile, VR, subscription and PlayStation Productions endeavors to make more money that can be re-invested for further growth.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I see what you are saying but don't forget, the same number of non live service games are still being made.

This is not necessarily true.

Sonys budget for single player is only seeing a mild increase over the next 5 years.

If single player games are getting more and more expensive to make, that increased budget may still mean a smaller # of single player games overall.

schaft0620

This is not necessarily true.

Sonys budget for single player is only seeing a mild increase over the next 5 years.

If single player games are getting more and more expensive to make, that increased budget may still mean a smaller # of single player games overall.

Per Sony, when they said they had 25 games in the works 12 were live service. By default they are making at least 13 non live service games.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
what a trash take

Imagine hating a company for diversifying their portfolio

Apple should just stick to phones and nothing else
His take was pretty common in here some years ago.

People in here preferred Sony only kept doing what they do best:

Single player games.

vivftp

They’ve green lit a lot more games since that was said. They’ve got a lot more brewing, especially from Xdev.
Yeah, there's enough reason to believe that the over 25 figure comes only from first party studios once you start breaking down how many projects they're all working on. The total figure with Xdev included and Bungies projects should be notably higher.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
All of Media Molecule's games are live service and i didn't see anyone complain back then.
Because hardly anyone plays Dreams and community creation games are their own universe. When people are nervous about GAAS it's about taking a standard game like a shooter or sports game and bombarding it with P2W or loot boxes.

Jaybe

We'll have to wait and see their approach.

Sony has been supporters of full price gaming, and no day one games on sub services.
It will be interesting with the TLOU MP. I could see it being $20 like how RDR and GTA had their online components spun off separately. Given that low price point and the need for engagement, likely adding it to PS Plus Extra.

Why does Twisted Metal keep getting so many chances while franchises like Resistance and Killzone are ignored? Makes even less sense if it's Lucid Games again.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Because they've stopped the single player games?

No. Not yet at least. But the investment they have made into these live service games could have been put into great single player games instead. And the games you've listed are as boring as watching paint dry. Crossed fingers for Twisted Metal though.

You should be WANTING them to succeed in the live service sector because they'll have more money to sprinkle around all of SIE. Just like they'll be earning more money from their PC, mobile, VR, subscription and PlayStation Productions endeavors to make more money that can be re-invested for further growth.

I have no issues with Sony branching out to PC or VR, those are good investment for growth, but live service games and GaaS is a dark path Sony should avoid. It's the wrong direction if you ask me. Unfortunately, money talks and they have already laid the groundwork for this new road ahead.

Last edited:
Why does Twisted Metal keep getting so many chances while franchises like Resistance and Killzone are ignored? Makes even less sense if it's Lucid Games again.

There’s enough crazy in TM for it to hit some sort of zeitgeist or critical mass that could work for a live service game. Resistance and Killzone were very straight-laced gritty shooters and that market is saturated.

I’d love for GG’s GASS game to be set in the Killzone Universe though.

decisions

I want a Socom reboot with battle royale and Tarkov modes. Could be third-person or first I don’t care.

I feel like a lot of popular MP shooters these days have clunky and unsatisfying gameplay mechanics. They succeed because of good MP design.

This is why Warzone was so awesome when it came out. But eventually they ruined the design of that game starting with the Cold War migration.

Last edited:
I want a Socom reboot with battle royale and Tarkov modes. Could be third-person or first I don’t care.

I feel like a lot of popular MP shooters these days have clunky and unsatisfying gameplay mechanics. They succeed because of good MP design.

This is why Warzone was so awesome when it came out. But eventually they ruined the design of that game starting with the Cold War migration.
Factions with tlou part 2 gameplay

vivftp

I have no issues with Sony branching out to PC or VR, those are good investment for growth, but live service games and GaaS is a dark path Sony should avoid. It's the wrong direction if you ask me. Unfortunately, money talks and they have already laid the groundwork for this new road ahead.

So basically you think you know what the outcome of their live service endeavor will be (you don't, none of us do), and are saying they shouldn't even try without seeing what they're actually doing.

Let me ask this, what if they are able to make some hit live service titles akin to Destiny? That's an example of a high quality live service title that has a good story, amazing gameplay, can be played solo or with friends, and includes optional mtx. This isn't a purely black and white matter of single player vs live service, there's a large grey zone between them where the lines can be blurred. Sony's acquired one of those companies who have managed to blur the lines and are going to be utilizing their knowledge and experience to help with their other live service games.

So how about waiting to see what they're actually working on before dismissing this strategy?

Their last gen model is unsustainable. This is why they are making movies, offering a new subscription service and now GAAS titles.

Yeah, maybe if most those people that purchased spider-man, god of war, horizon, uncharted 4 when they first came out instead of waiting until they were highly discounted sony wouldn’t be so desperate for live service games to keep them afloat.

Sony is responding to the market and all the ‘hardcore’ single player gamers are too busy whining about paying 10 dollars increase for AAA games, while little Timmy just spent 200 dollars on fortnite dbz skins this week.

Last edited:
Top Bottom