• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Principal Monetization Designer On The Last Of Us Multiplayer Game Has Left Naughty Dog.

StereoVsn

TLOU2 sold only around 9 million copies compared to TLOU1 thats sold almost 38 million. i wonder if its because they didnt include multiplayer in the base game. it was very popular back in the day.
It’s sold less because it’s just not as good. Also, they made some decisions they didn’t go over well with some of the fans of the first game.

Plus of course the first game sold for longer, released on PS3, PS4, PC and PS5.

DrFigs

It’s sold less because it’s just not as good. Also, they made some decisions they didn’t go over well with some of the fans of the first game.

Plus of course the first game sold for longer, released on PS3, PS4, PC and PS5.
I think part 2 is the better game. the leaks hurt it more than anything else. but otherwise i think we're in agreement. the fact that the ps4 didn't have bc and then they came out w/ a remastered version had a huge effect on sales .

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

It took 6 years to reach over 20 million in sales. The original game was bundled with PS4 consoles for years.

TLOU 2 is likely close to 15m than 10m now after a spike in sales due to the HBO series.

Makes sense, they don't need a monetization expert when Bungie is already looking over their shoulder showing them how GAAS is done.

Yoboman

All evidences we have until now suggest the game is dead or with big development issues.
The only evidence of that has been a delay in reveal. The rest has been rumours (eh rumours of delays due to Bungie getting involved) and stuff that could be explained by normal employment churn.

It could be in trouble or could not we really don't know enough.

kaizenkko

The only evidence of that has been a delay in reveal. The rest has been rumours (eh rumours of delays due to Bungie getting involved) and stuff that could be explained by normal employment churn.

It could be in trouble or could not we really don't know enough.
Naughty Dog is working on this game for 3+ years and until now we don't saw a single frame of it. With all the "rumours", I bet and hope this shit just gone let down. Hope they just re-release TLOU2 for PS5 with a basic PVP mode and move on.

Last edited:

Killer8

Every day I pray that current Naughty Dog gets burned to the ground and goes back to making fun mascot games.

Yoboman

Naughty Dog is working on this game for 3+ years and until now we don't saw a single frame of it. With all the "rumours", I bet and hope this shit just gone let down. Hope they just re-release TLOU2 for PS5 with a basic PVP mode and move on.
Which is more a problem of marketing than anything. Their lack of communication is making us assume and speculate it's in development hell

They didn't reveal TLOU Part 1 remake until like 2 months before release. That's the problem IMO. Dictating their own marketing they probably won't show anything until it's a few months from release

Keihart

I think its incredible that they somehow seem to have managed to fuck up Factions 2, it would have been a huge hit if it released closer to TLoU2, even if not feature complete, if they wanted to do gass shit they could of just added stuff post release.
what is even going on at ND? amazing

nowhat

The only evidence of that has been a delay in reveal.
The game was "officially" announced at TGA... 2021? 2020? With a single piece of concept art, with the message being that ND is excited to share some more info with the fans "soon".

Now Covid may have messed with our perception of time, I know it has for me at least, but I think "soon" has been over for quite some time.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
if it wasn't for studios stepping outside their comfort zone, Guerilla Games would still be making killzone games and barely cracking 2 million in sales. It's one thing for companies to be fine with creative inertia and not taking risks, but that customers would also demand this? that's not great.
You're 100% correct. For one, I was hoping they'd try their stab at something else. However, this isn't just stepping out of their comfort zone, this is stepping into a minefield they have no idea how to navigate. 99% of GAAS end up being complete flops so having your studio that is used to make the games that are furthest from GAAS doesn't sound like a particularly intelligent business decision.

Respawn for instance didn't make GAAS but did have experience with Titanfall and then knocked it out of the park with Apex Legends. This was a smart and smooth transition. Asking Naughty Dog to do a 180 is moronic.

kaizenkko

Which is more a problem of marketing than anything. Their lack of communication is making us assume and speculate it's in development hell

They didn't reveal TLOU Part 1 remake until like 2 months before release. That's the problem IMO. Dictating their own marketing they probably won't show anything until it's a few months from release
It's not only "lack of communication". First, back in may, Jason said that ND was moving people for others projects; now people get fired, including a very important role for the project. And, with all that said, ND still can't show the game, even with Neil saying last year that they would show more this year.

Tell me, Sherlock, what all that clues indicate?

DrFigs

You're 100% correct. For one, I was hoping they'd try their stab at something else. However, this isn't just stepping out of their comfort zone, this is stepping into a minefield they have no idea how to navigate. 99% of GAAS end up being complete flops so having your studio that is used to make the games that are furthest from GAAS doesn't sound like a particularly intelligent business decision.

Respawn for instance didn't make GAAS but did have experience with Titanfall and then knocked it out of the park with Apex Legends. This was a smart and smooth transition. Asking Naughty Dog to do a 180 is moronic.
It doesn't sound like it's going great for Naughty Dog given we havent had a single positive update on this game in like 2 years now. But i think we have to let these studios do different things. was there this much pushback for Respawn making single player games? Since they're known for titanfall and apex, surely they have no business making single player games like Jedi Fallen Order! They should stick to what they're good at!

Granted, this seems to be going poorly for Naughty Dog, but it's not just because this single player focused studio is daring to make a standalone multiplayer game, which is often what the complaint is in these threads.

Last edited:

gothmog

Gold Member
I'm hoping all this leads to them releasing a more streamlined and generous Factions experience instead of them cancelling it outright. It would go a long way to rebuilding some trust.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
The game was "officially" announced at TGA... 2021? 2020? With a single piece of concept art, with the message being that ND is excited to share some more info with the fans "soon".

Now Covid may have messed with our perception of time, I know it has for me at least, but I think "soon" has been over for quite some time.
Officially June 2022 during the Summers Games Fest. They were going to reveal it early this year but that's when Jason's report came out.

nowhat

Officially June 2022 during the Summers Games Fest. They were going to reveal it early this year but that's when Jason's report came out.
...was it really Summer Games Fest? Wow. I could have sworn it was earlier, and TGA. I guess the Dorito Pope is the same. I blame it on the covid (messing with my perception of time).

Still, it was known to be in the works for a much longer time, because before TLoU 2 came out it was announced that the multiplayer component will be a separate thing. And TLoU 2 at least came out years ago.

Alebrije

I dreamed Factions could be like The Division 2, ND just needed to copy paste the formula and get a nice multiplayer game.

Now Sony has to buy UBI and release Factions next year and by 2025 the Division 3 .this way will get two multiplayer IPs.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
zLRZWe7.jpg

if that's your job title, reconsider your choices in life
You’re right, but if you’re a company that employees someone with that job title, that seems worse. Sadly, I think most AAA devs have something similar.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
Can you imagine that with that budget they would have made a new Siren, Shadow of the Colossus, The Gateway 2, Socom reboot? New Ape escape Or a new IP??
I mean, all of that budget would have gone to whatever else Naughty Dog is doing, or just been used later.
Japan Studio/Team Asobi practically gets endless funding, it's literally Sony's pet when it comes to development pipeline. Not even Santa Monica Studio managed to get the same treatment, considering one flop was enough to almost get them dissolved (although I imagine things must be much, MUCH better these days).

Who is the moron who had this bright idea? Naughty Dog has been specialized in story-driven emotionally intense games with a lot of character development and you make them work on a GAAS? If they were that desperate for one with the TLOU IP, Sony should have just put together a new team to make a multiplayer game.

This just sound like a stupid move through and through. Not only is this game seemingly stuck in development hell, but it's also hamstringing one of Sony's best studios.
That moron would be Jim Ryan and his sudden exit along with this seems to coincide. GAAS was never a part of the Playstation DNA and needs to die off completely imo. Naughty Dog have mastered the art of offline SP narrative driven games and need to stick to them as it is a dying art form in todays gaming world. Glad to see this and Mister Ryans departure. Couldnt come soon enough.

nial

Gold Member
TLOU2 sold only around 9 million copies compared to TLOU1 thats sold almost 37 million.
That was for both games combined (plus remake and Left Behind standalone?), with the numbers being from December 2022, and TLOU2 having sold over 10M in June of that year. My personal guess is that the original game got around 22M, which is still very impressive.

Last edited:
This entire thing is so dumb. Just put in some PvP maps in the base game and people will play it for years just like they did with TLOU1.

you dont need PvE campaigns, raids, loot drops, persistent online. You have what is probably the best TPS mechanics in a game ever. just put that in multiplayer. Thats what made Uncharted and TLOU stand out from a sea of cod ripoffs, there is still nothing like the melee/shooter hybrid and they blew it by trying to go after destiny's lunch.

TLOU2 sold only around 9 million copies compared to TLOU1 thats sold almost 38 million. i wonder if its because they didnt include multiplayer in the base game. it was very popular back in the day.

Your numbers are completely off. First TLOUP2 has sold over 10 million copies and this was before the TV boosted sales. And TLOUP1 is nowhere close to 38 million. Not sure where you got that number from. Sounds like you took the franchise numbers and allocated it directly to part 1.

Part 1 has sold 27 million copies across the original PS3 title, the PS4 remaster, AND the remake... again, noting that this was before the show boosted sales.

We know that the PS3 version of the game sold 10 million copies at least, and the remaster also sold 10 million copies at least.

All evidences we have until now suggest the game is dead or with big development issues.

Literally, nothing we've seen suggests that the game is dead. If the game were truly dead, we'd see actual layoffs at Naughty Dog including full-time employees. ND is still hiring and has shown tremendous growth in the last 6 months.

Yoboman

It's not only "lack of communication". First, back in may, Jason said that ND was moving people for others projects; now people get fired, including a very important role for the project. And, with all that said, ND still can't show the game, even with Neil saying last year that they would show more this year.

Tell me, Sherlock, what all that clues indicate?
Jason isn't a reliable source on Naughty Dog after TLOU2. He said the same things then and it came out extremely polished and swept GOTYs

ergem

It’s just probably a shift in business model. The online MP that they have been working on will be bundled with TLoU 3.

The MP could still potentially become successful like GTA online if the game is good. Without it releasing on its own as a free-to-play title, the business model will not rely on microtransactions but with the game having long legs and selling for years.

The microtransaction will be a bonus but will not be it’s main money generation.

ND cannot do GaaS. The consumers must be constantly engaged with continuous content.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The great thing about GAAS is that you only need to find that one hit game to make yourself an absolute mint.

The problem with GASS is that you need to find that one hit game.

This is false. There's a huge gap between break even and Roblox level success. The majority of PlayStations 12+ GAAS titles will be profitable.

Everyone celebrating but I'm sad.

That's how many years of development work DOWN THE DRAIN?

So they could have been developing the next PS5 exclusive single player AAAAAAA blockbuster. Now we have to wait how long for our next Uncharted 4 reveal moment?

So very sad
giphy.gif

Last edited:
I think its incredible that they somehow seem to have managed to fuck up Factions 2, it would have been a huge hit if it released closer to TLoU2, even if not feature complete, if they wanted to do gass shit they could of just added stuff post release.
what is even going on at ND? amazing
My thoughts as well. TLoU2 basic multiplayer would've been fucking cool and I would've put a ton of time into that. Would've also dropped a bit on skins or whatever if they were cool. Alas.

Generic

And nothing of value was lost
It was, Fortnite's Battle Pass system is excellent and the fairest inclusion of monetization in a f2p game.

Any game having “Principal Monetization Designer” is a game to stay far away from.

Here is a design - You make a game and I will buy it.
Or make a f2p game with new free content every month and whose monetization is purely based on aesthetics.

Last edited:

Lupin25

I really want to know what they’ve wasted so much time developing.

It sucks too knowing Druckmann went up on stage proud of the product behind scenes. They really thought what they had would suffice and that’s what troubles me. They’re just not suited currently for live-service.

And to know ND probably has an amazing game on their hands and can’t release it, all because it won’t work as a live-service game… Just wow…

Top Bottom