• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Principal Monetization Designer On The Last Of Us Multiplayer Game Has Left Naughty Dog.

proandrad

Donald Glover Reaction GIF

HTK

Banned
Well that's unfortunate was really looking forward to Factions. Time will tell what comes of all of this, so far this doesn't prove one thing or another but there is some sort of happening that's for sure.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Who is the moron who had this bright idea? Naughty Dog has been specialized in story-driven emotionally intense games with a lot of character development and you make them work on a GAAS? If they were that desperate for one with the TLOU IP, Sony should have just put together a new team to make a multiplayer game.

This just sound like a stupid move through and through. Not only is this game seemingly stuck in development hell, but it's also hamstringing one of Sony's best studios.

Last edited:

nowhat

I'm not so sure that GaaS is the future, no matter what "a certain someone" here would have us believe, but the fact that there's a position called "principal monetization designer" is just gross to me. Multiplayer or not, I'll gladly pay for a game instead of a subscription or getting fleeced constantly.

Flabagast

lmao what are they thinking over there ?

They are really willing to waste all the goodwill they gained on a shitty monetized GaaS turd ?

Last edited:

HTK

Banned
And because of that gaming in general and especially on mobile is complete shit as far as monetization goes for MP.
I don't play on mobile so I can't comment on that. I'm not sure how an skin or operator bundle in the store affects me or my gameplay. I choose not to buy 99% of the items in the store, but here I am putting in thousands of hours into a free to play game. So I'm sorry I'm not as outraged because I get maximum value out of the game for free....well not really free because I did buy the initial Battle Pass in 2020 and since then smooth sailing.

Also, instead of shitting on current system into the black hole. Do you have any fresh new ideas how to monetize a multiplayer? Because not doing so means not providing new content, means disappointing your community, means bleeding players/community.

I'm all ears to hear how you would do it....

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Before y'all celebrate, I doubt this means the position or their stance on the matter has been changed/removed.

Hilarious that people think that means the game is dead.

He'll almost certainly be replaced. He lasted less than a year, obviously, his review was coming up and they weren't on the same page so he is gone.

That happens everywhere in life.

He was at Ubi Soft for even less time (10 months).

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Most people have been taken off the project and the Q&A people have been working on this game since September.

I believe if Last of Us Part III is in development then they're going to include it with that, but it'll be scaled down.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
This entire thing is so dumb. Just put in some PvP maps in the base game and people will play it for years just like they did with TLOU1.

you dont need PvE campaigns, raids, loot drops, persistent online. You have what is probably the best TPS mechanics in a game ever. just put that in multiplayer. Thats what made Uncharted and TLOU stand out from a sea of cod ripoffs, there is still nothing like the melee/shooter hybrid and they blew it by trying to go after destiny's lunch.

TLOU2 sold only around 9 million copies compared to TLOU1 thats sold almost 38 million. i wonder if its because they didnt include multiplayer in the base game. it was very popular back in the day.

Saber

Gold Member
So whats the excuse this time? That he never really work on the project(or company) or was just a clown there and this is normal for companies?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I was really looking forward to this. It could have been so cool but I guess it's just not coming together.

Must be rough to be working on something as big as the last of us multi and it falling apart.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
This entire thing is so dumb. Just put in some PvP maps in the base game and people will play it for years just like they did with TLOU1.

you dont need PvE campaigns, raids, loot drops, persistent online. You have what is probably the best TPS mechanics in a game ever. just put that in multiplayer. Thats what made Uncharted and TLOU stand out from a sea of cod ripoffs, there is still nothing like the melee/shooter hybrid and they blew it by trying to go after destiny's lunch.

TLOU2 sold only around 9 million copies compared to TLOU1 thats sold almost 38 million. i wonder if its because they didnt include multiplayer in the base game. it was very popular back in the day.
The first game is around 25 million, not 38 million.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The first game is around 25 million, not 38 million.
yeah, i got that wrong. google said 37 million for part 1 but ND said that figure was for the entire franchise. since TLOU2 was around 9 million last time they revealed the figures, your figures are probably more accurate than mine.

Yoboman

So many assumptions about Naughty Dog, Factions 2 etc based on very little

Frankly it's self inflicted damage. Their decisions to go no marketing until they are ready is eroding any trust in them, when all we know is they are making a GAAS

One of the best things about Naughty Dog was how they built hype. There was barely ever a window we didn't have a clear view on what their next game was

This is particularly damaging as the one thing a GAAS Dev needs is clear communication and roadmaps

The new CEO needs to revamp the marketing of Sony as a whole and ensure they are showing games 2 plus years from release

StueyDuck

It was a bad idea from the start. The first one was great as a mp mode but getting too ambitious was getting people expecting DayZ at naughty dog fidelity and it was just never going to be that game.

Shoulda kept it a pvp mode. The movement is so great in tlou2 the factions would have been awesome If they'd just replicated the original

Who is the moron who had this bright idea? Naughty Dog has been specialized in story-driven emotionally intense games with a lot of character development and you make them work on a GAAS? If they were that desperate for one with the TLOU IP, Sony should have just put together a new team to make a multiplayer game.

This just sound like a stupid move through and through. Not only is this game seemingly stuck in development hell, but it's also hamstringing one of Sony's best studios.
agreed. i'm guessing sony thought that, at this point, anything built by naughty dog, no matter how inherently awful, was guaranteed to succeed. i think if they weren't so certain of this, they'd've likely done what you suggest...

DrFigs

if it wasn't for studios stepping outside their comfort zone, Guerilla Games would still be making killzone games and barely cracking 2 million in sales. It's one thing for companies to be fine with creative inertia and not taking risks, but that customers would also demand this? that's not great.

Last edited:

DrFigs

So many assumptions about Naughty Dog, Factions 2 etc based on very little

Frankly it's self inflicted damage. Their decisions to go no marketing until they are ready is eroding any trust in them, when all we know is they are making a GAAS

One of the best things about Naughty Dog was how they built hype. There was barely ever a window we didn't have a clear view on what their next game was

This is particularly damaging as the one thing a GAAS Dev needs is clear communication and roadmaps

The new CEO needs to revamp the marketing of Sony as a whole and ensure they are showing games 2 plus years from release
sad thing is ... they might be showing games 2 plus years from release. there's no way to know for sure... but yeah maybe the next time we see a sucker punch game is in 2026 for all we know.

Last edited:
Top Bottom