• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon -Sony’s silence on PS5 has done wonders for the next-gen Xbox

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Equating success with hardware unit sales is boomer mentality.
It’s all about services. It’s all about profits. Most of the times Sony and MS actually lose money by selling the console it self, it’s the services and sold software that makes money.
tell me, how many of those PS4 unites in Europe, like Germany and UK, only bought PS4 because of a single game: FIFA? Lol
Sony doesn’t make much money with them.
The winner of each generation has always been determined by who sells the most consoles. Now y'all want to change it lol

DonJorginho

Banned
Every single fucking piece of console news/speculation takes about 5 minutes to become another console war thread.

I've had enough.

the-pirate-bay-sue-kanye-west-pablo.jpg

Malcolm9

It’s all about services. It’s all about profits. Most of the times Sony and MS actually lose money by selling the console it self, it’s the services and sold software that makes money.
tell me, how many of those PS4 unites in Europe, like Germany and UK, only bought PS4 because of a single game: FIFA? Lol

Grow up with the boomer bullshit please.

It is a fact that Playstation worldwide massively sells more than Xbox. I know that those European countries buy more than one game, have you checked out the charts in the countries you have stated? Facts again prove you wrong.

Last edited:

yurinka

If we look at the financial reports from Sony and MS we see that worldwide (remember that PAL-land is Sony's top 1 market), Sony makes x4 or x5 the amount of money that MS does in "content (digital games+DLC+IAP) and services", being that 66% of PS revenues in 2019, and specifically PS services (PS+ and PSNow) generated 25% of PS revenue in 2019.

So services are important, but PS gets 75% of its money from other sources. And since these content and services are mostly for their consoles, it's key for them to sell the more consoles as they can. And sure, Sony sold over 2x the amount of consoles than MS, which helps them to cash way more from content and services than MS (like the PS+ required to play FIFA online multiplayer matches).

So Sony dominates the games and service markets, and this is party because they dominate console hardware market, because these games and services are for these consoles.

P.D.: To call someone boomer as something negative is pretty dumb too.

Last edited:
It would take a epic mistake from Sony for most people to switch from the PS4 to the XSX next generation

I don't see it happening

The PS3 came a year after the Xbox360, launched at $600, was difficult to code for and had no games until later. It still caught up with the Xbox360

Still doesn't change the fact that half the user base happily moved to the 360. If ecosystem and brand loyalty is as strong as you suggest they would have waited a year for the PS3. Especially since Sony was coming out of their most successful gen ever.

Hobbygaming

Still doesn't change the fact that half the user base happily moved to the 360. If ecosystem and brand loyalty is as strong as you suggest they would have waited a year for the PS3. Especially since Sony was coming out of their most successful gen ever.
A year is a long time and this time they're launching in the same year like last generation

And you have all of the momentum the PS4 has built. PS is going to gain even more momentum when TLOU 2 and Ghost of Tsushima release

The 360 is the only occasion where MS outsold Sony in the US and UK, so historically facts are against them doing it again with how well the PS4 and Playstation consoles in general have done and are more popular worldwide, not just in two countries. Lets not forget the 360 was released a year earlier and the PS3 have a massive starting price point that caused the difference, but over the course of that generation Sony caught up and finished strongly.

Ecosystems do make a difference, why would I move across to Xbox if I have over 400 PS4 games that I can play on my PS5 alongside fantastic exclusives and 1st party support from Sony. Look at how the current PS4 is being supported over the next few months, what are MS doing apart from selling Gamepass cheap as chips?

Show me the receipts.gif.

Talking about support, so having services like Gamepass, BC with upgraded performance, and a bunch of exclusives (not necessarily AAA) doesn't count as supporting the platform...? Why, because you say so?

If you want to talk "historical facts" then you should acknowledge that every gen large parts of each console base switch to another console. Once again, PS2 to PS3 and Wii to Wii U or even 360 to One are prime examples of the user base having no loyalty. History and facts back it up.

You say you have 400 PS4 games, which means the huge majority of that is probably physical which also means your "ecosystem" is pretty much just your black plastic PS4 box. And sales show that the majority of PS4 gamers but the systen to play play COD, FIFA and GTA5. What's that ecosystem they're so scared to leave behind lol.

Sorry bro, just doesn't very convincing.

Klayzer

Awww... another SonyGAF / Xbox victim card played, how many of those do you have in your deck?
Good God! Talk about an overplayed card. As if, repeating their mantra constantly would stop other users from being critical of their posts. When will they learn to debate without all the emotional theatrics.

A lot chest pounding, but in reality,the Xbox guys are very sensitive to criticism of Microsoft. IMO

Malcolm9

Talking about support, so having services like Gamepass, BC with upgraded performance, and a bunch of exclusives (not necessarily AAA) doesn't count as supporting the platform...? Why, because you say so?

If you want to talk "historical facts" then you should acknowledge that every gen large parts of each console base switch to another console. Once again, PS2 to PS3 and Wii to Wii U or even 360 to One are prime examples of the user base having no loyalty. History and facts back it up.

You say you have 400 PS4 games, which means the huge majority of that is probably physical which also means your "ecosystem" is pretty much just your black plastic PS4 box. And sales show that the majority of PS4 gamers but the systen to play play COD, FIFA and GTA5. What's that ecosystem they're so scared to leave behind lol.

Sorry bro, just doesn't very convincing.

Most are digital actually.

Stop being afraid of the facts, you'll sleep better bro.

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
Good God! Talk about an overplayed card. As if, repeating their mantra constantly would stop other users from being critical of their posts. When will they learn to debate without all the emotional theatrics.

A lot chest pounding, but in reality,the Xbox guys are very sensitive to criticism of Microsoft. IMO
It's not surprising that it's the xbox fans who got banned over the weekend.

I almost feel bad for them.

Almost.

FUT is a goldmine. You think that FUT in first 3 years was a cheap for MS to be exclusive on Xbone?

Btw. you should chill out with meaningless posts.

Last edited:

Nasemann

Banned
It's not surprising that it's the xbox fans who got banned over the weekend.

I almost feel bad for them.

Almost.

and you wonder why this place is sometimes called "SonyGAF". See thats the problem, if you only ban the xbox fanboys and leave the sony fanboys here, then things get unbalanced, and thus SonyGAF is born.

Things should be balanced, remeber?

perfectly-balanced-as-all-things-should-be.jpg

Psykodad

Banned
and you wonder why this place is sometimes called "SonyGAF". See thats the problem, if you only ban the xbox fanboys and leave the sony fanboys here, then things get unbalanced, and thus SonyGAF is born.

Things should be balanced, remeber?

perfectly-balanced-as-all-things-should-be.jpg
The mods also barred me from commenting in a xbox-related thread because xbox fans got pissed over something I said, something Phil Spencer himself said as well (in different words) a couple of weeks later.

So the way I see it, at least some mods are xbox fanboys.

Guess there is balance after all.

Last edited:

Nasemann

Banned
The mods also barred me from commenting in a xbox-related thread because xbox fans got pissed over something I said, which is something Phil Spencer himself said as well (in different words) a couple of weeks later.

So the way I see it, at least some mods are xbox fanboys.

dude, I was just joking. I don't give a shit about Console wars. I have all consoles+PC anyway lol

Psykodad

Banned
dude, I was just joking. I don't give a shit about Console wars. I have all consoles+PC anyway lol
Couldn't tell if you were.

Some people need to learn how far they can take things. If you get banned, you only have yourself to blame.

And let's be honest, somehow this past weekend a couple of people went completely mental. Lol

From personal experience, i haven't seen a single person that i know that has cared about any of the xbox anouncements for the series X, they only care about getting news about the PS5. These are some people that had a 360 and the OG xbox too.

Not all of us live in a bunker in a stranded village in Albania.

devilNprada

From personal experience, i haven't seen a single person that i know that has cared about any of the xbox anouncements for the series X, they only care about getting news about the PS5. These are some people that had a 360 and the OG xbox too.

From a personal experience nobody I know cares about either.

Journey

Banned

Cerny memes became a thing when the PS4 outperformed Xbox One by 30%, not necessarily because of his work on Knack, is that correct? I'm wondering what will become of that meme if XSX is in fact 30% more powerful than PS5, will it be ok simply because 9.2 TF is enough? I mean one would say that 1.31 TF was enough for XB1, but for many, that will be a huge hypocrisy, no one was proud of MS engineers for delivering a console with 30% less power, that being said, will you still be proud of Cerny at 9.2TF?

replicant-

Sony‘s failure to control the narrative and lack of transparency is a bit mind-boggling. Take covid out of the mix - we are 7-8 months from launch (Oct/Nov).

Their current laissez-faire approach has allowed leakers and trolls take absolute control. Ultimately it may lead to disappointment if the console doesn’t meet lofty expectations driven by leaks from*cough* insiders. Even a UK national tabloid posted a picture of a leak.

This all could be strategic planning, or their hand has been forced by external influences e.g. CoM. Time will tell.

To think all the speculation could be easily fixed by an article similar to Phil’s. It doesn’t need to be a full reveal yet.

Last edited:
I hope after PS5 reveal Polygon create another article...

“Sony’s PS5 reveal do wonders to destroy next-generation Xbox”

:messenger_tears_of_joy:
No it will be: Whe tested the XboxSeX and the PS5 extentialy for 24 hours and the XboxSEX takes the lead on all fronts, its the console you must own.
And thats our unbiased opinion....POLYGON😋

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Seems like typical vapid journo garbage. Sony will announce when it announces and the product will either be attractive or it won't.

Going tit-for-tat in a PR battle for a few weeks/months of attention seems painfully short-sighted, but of course journos have no clue how their own industry works so they have to make a mountain out of a molehill for dem clicks.

That might be true if they're just talking about performance, and maybe even launch titles if Halo Infinite turns out to be a killer app like Halo CE. :pie_thinking:
That might bee true but you dont know yet what Sony is bringing to the table when next gen starts en the PS5 specs are out😉

devilNprada

Are they gamers?

Not "Gamers", but how many "Gamers" are there in reality... The one or two million or so launch units will sell out, and will sell quickly for a couple months after release, but at the point you start seeing them on shelves, they are for people that weren't interested.

disclaimer: My perception

docbot

Banned
I don't think most regular gamers know anything about the new Xbox at all. The only thing that really matters to the general public is game footage, the specs are just... interesting for a few. Unless Microsoft can get GTA 6 to be a timed exclusive, it will be hard to compete against the PS5. The Playstation Brand is just too strong and Sony has development Teams that can produce AAA Games like few else. Maybe it's different in the states, but here in Europe the Xbox feels quit irrelevant.

Last edited:
Hmm I wonder about that - the silence has created so much gossip and speculation about PS5 then when Sony actually releases full details it will steal all the headlines for long time.

Also Microsoft is like a bridge player who has to bid first - they need to show their hand while Sony is in leader position and can react accordingly.

From personal experience, i haven't seen a single person that i know that has cared about any of the PS5 announcements, they only care about getting news about the XBox Series X. These are some people that had a PS3 and the OG PS2 too.

Klayzer

This thread really backfired, and took a lot of soldiers down with it. Thanks Obama, um Curry.

Can you good users answer this question for me: Why are banned x-alts trippin over themselves to post on a supposedly Sony fansite? Seems to me they have always been a variety of opinions welcomed on this board. Shrugs🤷‍♂️

quest

Not Banned from OT
Sony is quiet because they are still releasing great games for PS4. That's what they're focusing on.
That is such a bad lazy excuse. Sony was releasing games on the PS3 until almost the day the PS4 was released new GT game but had a technology reveal February that year. So we can stop with that excuse move on to a new excuse. Sony was pounding their chests 8 gig of gddr5. This silence is just stupid and alienating fans. A technology reveal is Not going to stop any sales of the last of us 2 just like the technology reveal of the ps4 did not stop sales of the original the last of us. Sony is just being cute for the sake of it.

Last edited:
That is such a bad lazy excuse. Sony was releasing games on the PS3 until almost the day the PS4 was released new GT game but had a technology reveal February that year. So we can stop with that excuse move on to a new excuse. Sony was pounding their chests 8 gig of ddr5. This silence is just stupid and alienating fans. A technology reveal is Not going to stop any sales of the last of us 2 just like the technology reveal of the ps4 did not stop sales of the original the last of us. Sony is just being cute for the sake of it.

Don't speak too much sense in here please.

Hobbygaming

Either they're preparing a big reveal with 5-7 new AAA games that will be shown or they don't want to take some of the focus off of their remaining PS4 blockbusters

Either way, they can afford to wait

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Sony has never been predictable, yet some people in here want to base things off their past as if they would repeat everything to the T. They won’t, clearly, since here we are March the 9th.

Top Bottom