• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon -Sony’s silence on PS5 has done wonders for the next-gen Xbox

CyberPanda

Banned
A new generation of gaming consoles will arrive in 2020, but you wouldn’t know that from how Sony is handling its marketing of the PlayStation 5. So far, in terms of new information this year, we’ve got the unveiling of a new logo ... and that’s kinda it.

There are other bits and pieces, of course — we know that the PS5 will be powered by AMD tech, and that it will be backward-compatible with PlayStation 4 games. Most of this information came out in 2019. Beyond that, the latest whispers surrounding Sony’s next hardware foray paint a troubling development picture, notably when it comes to keeping the PS5’s price point down for consumers. Mostly, though, there’s silence.

“We’ve begun to share some of the incredible features you can expect from PlayStation 5, but we’re not quite ready to fully unveil the next generation of PlayStation,” Sony notes on the official PS5 web portal, which launched a month ago. Accordingly, the website doesn’t have much on it yet.

Microsoft, on the other hand, has been lapping up the next-generation headlines. We know what the Xbox Series X looks like, what specs we can expect. We know of a couple of exclusives, like Ninja Theory’s Project: Mara. We know that Smart Delivery means that if you buy something like Cyberpunk 2077 for Xbox One, you’ll also get to play the Xbox Series X upgrade for free. We know that the Xbox Series X can resume wherever you were in a game, even after a reboot. We know that if you decide to not upgrade, first-party games will be available for both the Xbox One and Xbox Series X. We know what the ports look like.

Why are we talking about ports, though? They’re important to a degree, yes, but some of the Xbox Series X information that is being published on news sites is mostly incremental coverage right now. At the same time, they’re headlines.
Microsoft has spent years trying to brighten up the public’s perception of the Xbox brand through experiments like Xbox Game Pass and the Xbox Adaptive Controller, but many of these innovations aren’t embraced on the level of say, Sony “announcing” that it will continue to let players share used games among their friends. That video of a thing that isn’t even a feature has 17 million views.

But right now, Microsoft doesn’t have to fight for attention. And that’s allowing people to realize that, hey, Microsoft will be trying some interesting things in the next generation, to the degree that consoles may not even be the best point of comparison. Eventually, Sony will unveil what it’s got in the works, and business might go back to the usual. For now, though, Microsoft is stealing the spotlight in a way it hasn’t for a long, long time.

I’ve said before that I honestly think Sony’s silence is a mistake. It’s not like the release is 2 years away. It’s sooner than a lot of people realize.

If they haven’t done a full reveal by the end of April then I’ll officially start to worry

Meanwhile the XSX details have already convinced me to purchase Day One when I originally was just going PC/PS5 next gen

Last edited:

LMJ

On forums and the like sure, but in real day to day buzz all I'm hearing is excitement for FF7 and as of the other night Ghost Of Tsushima as well...and Nintendo Switch of course

Specs are awesome and (barring the stupidity and denial in the AMD RNDA2 thread) fun to debate, but games are king and Sony is letting its exclusives talk right now...

Last edited:

mejin

giphy.gif

Shambala

Well deserved for MS. They've been open and engaged with gamers unlike Sony. In my opinion either there are big problems with the PS5 or this is Sony at their most arrogant.
Arrogant Sony is back baby 😂. It’s not like Sony is focusing on their big release games first. While Microsoft is forcing to focus on next gen cause this gen is a huge failure for them...

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Well deserved for MS. They've been open and engaged with gamers unlike Sony. In my opinion either there are big problems with the PS5 or this is Sony at their most arrogant.

Only those two, not a third or fourth option?

Either concern or hubris?

Hmm 🤔

Entroyp

Arrogant Sony is back. Well deserved MS.
Gamers have been the center of MS strategy since don left.
BC, crossplay, play anywhere, smart delivery, gamepass, all the good thing for the gamers. Thanks MS! Well deserved.

For me all of that is is worthless without a quality exclusive output. But that’s only my opinion. Sony brought the games and that is great for customers like me.

MS is at least trying now so that’s great for everyone.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I’ve said before that I honestly think Sony’s silence is a mistake. It’s not like the release is 2 years away. It’s sooner than a lot of people realize.

If they haven’t done a full reveal by the end of April then I’ll officially start to worry

Meanwhile the XSX details have already convinced me to purchase Day One when I originally was just going PC/PS5 next gen
Ive defended the silence in the past...i didnt think it would be this frustrating though. The whole crouching down thing sounded like the long wait before Goku comes back after training for like 10 years.

I know its only March, but man i need something. Im literally saving money for a console i know very little about. I guess it doesnt mayyer because save some type of catastrophe. Imma buy it anyways. Actually thats probably why its so frustrating. My purchase decision has already been made so just show me the damn thing already, ya know?

Panaphonics

Banned
Arrogant Sony is back baby 😂. It’s not like Sony is focusing on their big release games first. While Microsoft is forcing to focus on next gen cause this gen is a huge failure for them...

lol but Sony started the talk back in OCTOBER and then they went fucking silent. Also they had PLENTY OF TIME in January and February to reveal some stuff.
This is just a lame excuse

Panaphonics

Banned
No. Just no. PS5 logo is still more shared than xbox reveal.
Becaude People were making fun of that, because it was so pathetic and showed how out of touch Sony is. People were making fun of Sony.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Becaude People were making fun of that, because it was so pathetic and showed how out of touch Sony is. People were making fun of Sony.

It’s still in everybody’s minds, I mean look at you, you can’t stop talking about the PS5.

I only think this will become a mistake for Sony if MS blows it out the water at the pre-e3 reveal AND the E3 reveal, which Sony is skipping. Until then meh.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I’m not sure if I believe that. The consoles aren’t even close to coming out. How is that a win for anyone? You’ll get to play Cyberpunk 2077 before either console hits the consumer market.

Sony is still making bank on the Final Fantasy VII Remake as well as The Last of Us also getting an HBO series. Someone tell me how that isn’t somehow getting a head? What if, for a second, they talk about the PS5 like the Series X. Aren’t the consumers going to be playing the next 4-5 months of games instead?

Look how popular The Witcher was when the Netflix TV Series was on. Everyone jumped back on board to play The Witcher 3 for what? A month. Where’s all the “toss a coin” stuff in March 2020.

I don’t think these articles mean anything, especially when 1-2 reveals will sell the console (either side). The Demo for FFVIIR is more important than news about the PS5 “at the moment”. Why would little pieces of info about the hardware make 1 console better than the other?

All it’s going to take is 1-2 exclusives around launch. 1-2 announcements. That’s how I’ve seen this work before.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Sony IS talking. They're talking by showing how they bring games. Just look at the PS4 games still coming out. That does a lot more for confidence in PS5 than 100 Phil Spencer interviews a week.

Sony is literally putting their money where MS's mouth is. It has been this way for so many years now.

Massive PS console exclusive
Phil Spencer promises future will be better

People say Sony being quiet says a lot that they don't have anything. It's just the opposite. MS keeps talking because they don't have anything. What games are they showing with all these endless Phil Spencer interviews over the years? Not much. Meanwhile, PS quietly keeps dropping massive hit after hit.

THAT'S why everyone still talks more about PS5 despite knowing so little details. Games.

Last edited:

Panaphonics

Banned
I’m not sure if I believe that. The consoles aren’t even close to coming out. How is that a win for everyone? You’ll get to play Cyberpunk 2077 before either console hits the consumer market.

Here is the thing though, Microsoft has been so open so they told us about SMART DELIVERY:

You can buy cyberpunk NOW and play it on Xbox one.
And as soon as series X releases and cyberpunk nextgen series X version releases YOU CAN PLAY IT FOR FREE.
How awesome is that? What about Sony? Will they do the same?
In the beginning of this gen, we had to rebuy all the remasters! Wonder if it will be the same again.

Panaphonics

Banned
Sony IS talking. They're talking by showing how they bring games. Just look at the PS4 games still coming out. That does a lot for confidence in PS5 than 100 Phil Spencer interviews a week.

meh. No it doesn’t or did you see the launch lineup? We only know about Godfall and this one looks horrible.
do you know about any other launch titles? Any good once?
PS4 launche lineup was mediocre.

AGNT4SD6

Neo Member
When do they announce at this point with all that is going on? I feel like the only way to do it now it’s in a Nintendo style Direct. Maybe they will drop it out of the blue like they did with the FF7Re Demo.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Here is the thing though, Microsoft has been so open so they told us about SMART DELIVERY:

And as soon as series X releases and cyberpunk nextgen series X version releases YOU CAN PLAY IT FOR FREE.
In the beginning of this gen, we had to rebuy all the remasters! Wonder if it will be the same again.

That is awesome. Believe me, I see your point. However, how many enthusiast will replay it or how many will move on? Let’s say I played BioShock, paid $65 back in 2007. Over the years I spent another $65 on that Remastered Edition for PS4 and then maybe $10 on the PC versions. Same with Skyrim. They gave me an enhanced edition for the entire BioShock series and Skyrim. That’s awesome, but my primary gametime was spent playing through each game on 360 and PS3 (Skyrim). Granted, not everyone is like that. That initial window of playing a game and focusing on it, is at launch. It certainly is a bonus. How many hardcore fans will want FFVIIR on its next platform? It’s literally a year wait to play it elsewhere. It’s an awesome idea and it’s a huge bonus. We also have an industry that spins on a dime and fans can come/go with each title. Enhancements (especially FREE enhancements) are amazing. I just wonder how much of an impact it will be if Smart delivery is somehow delayed or postponed.

I’m sure if I had a choice to pay for a game I played 6 months prior, that it wouldn’t be a huge concern if I somehow didn’t get the upgraded graphics or peaks.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

They’re giving you the Series X patch for free, just like you already get the One X patch for free, locked behind the online DRM since they’re not going send you a disk with it already on it for those who buy physical.

Both companies will probably be doing this since both have full blown current gen BC in the same ecosystem out of the gate. MS is just good with marketing buzzwords.

Panaphonics

Banned
Both companies will probably be doing this since both have full blown current gen BC in the same ecosystem out of the gate. MS is just good with marketing buzzwords.

Not a Patch though. It’s a complete different version.
It’s like When we had different versions GTA V for XBOX 360 and Xbox one.
We will see how different cyberpunk will look on series X compared to Xbox one.
Also, this is something completely different to BC. Way different league. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.
Also, not sure if Sony is going to allow it. They made tons of money selling their lastgen games as „remasters“. They will want to do the same.

Vawn

Banned
meh. No it doesn’t or did you see the launch lineup? We only know about Godfall and this one looks horrible.
do you know about any other launch titles? Any good once?
PS4 launche lineup was mediocre.

I'm talking about how they support their consoles the entire generation. They don't disappear a few years in like Xbox has done every generation.

PlayStation is releasing a bunch of huge exclusives THIS YEAR for PS4. They're not abandoning the console early. They've done this every generation. That builds confidence for the next generation.

I suppose to an extent. But all that really matters is that everything is known about both consoles when the official preorders go up.

Xbox preorders probably go up on the day of E3. If I were Sony I would do my full reveal up to a month prior, that’s a good chunk of time that you can only ‘officially’ preorder one of the consoles.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Not a Patch though. It’s a complete different version.
It’s like When we had different versions GTA V for XBOX 360 and Xbox one.
We will see how different cyberpunk will look on series X compared to Xbox one.
Also, this is something completely different to BC. Way different league. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.
Also, not sure if Sony is going to allow it. They made tons of money selling their lastgen games as „remasters“. They will want to do the same.

You don’t know this. Far as I’m aware, they haven’t detailed the exact plans of it. I’m going off current trends.

What you’re describing is basically Cross Buy as well. And with BC, etc, the transitions will remain smooth for everyone.

Last edited:

Atrus

Gold Member
iPhone 12 releases this year and supposedly there’s an iPhone SE2 at the end of March.

Why won’t Apple release any info? Surely this strategy of not revealing anything before launch is costing them!

When a brand is as well known as PlayStation, they create news waves of their own. Unlike some consoles, the PS4 still has life left.

molasar

Banned
Yeah! Because every single gamer out there is thinking: Fuck Sony! Why TLU2 and Ghost of Tsushima are getting released! I want PR about Ps5! I want empty promises and spins that will make me proud!

/s

You mean that every single gamer who does not know how to run a business. Also those two games can give indications about how much Sony cares about their customers. Plus you are going to get your 'PR about Ps5' sooner or later.

Top Bottom