• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation's spending spree is radically different to Xbox's

Interfectum

Ok, im looking forward to the day when Sony will be able to make Zenimax level purchase. Lol.
Take the L already. How many times can one be wrong in a single thread?

The Simpsons GIF

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
People are saying Sony can't make a Zenimax level purchase because they can't afford it.

Let me ask you guys this:

If Nintendo magically went up for sale for $10.5 billion, do you think Sony would pass because they couldn't afford it?

Hezekiah

Banned
This is a hot take but not all that wrong. Especially considering Halo Infinite and Forza Horizon 5 are probably going to be the only two MS first party games released until 2023. But with zenimax now in the picture, they will have redfall and starfield release next year filling in a crucial second year. Avowed, Perfect Dark, Hellblade 2, Fable and State of Decay being MIA could mean they are 2023 titles at the latest.

That said, if MS was really desperate they wouldve just gone out and bought exclusives like they always have. Titanfall, Rise of Tomb Raider, Ryse, Scalebound. Plenty of studios would give up exclusives for a $100 million or so. They spent $7.5 billion because they are in it for good. It's a bold statement of intent, not a desperate last second hail Mary.

If buying smaller studios is smart then surely MS buying Ninja Theory, Obsidian, Playground Games, Undead Labs is also considered smart, no?
I don't rate Ninja Theory, I had Heavenly Sword back in the day, not great to be honest. Hellblade doesn't look anything special either, and I think both games are why Sony didn't buy them.

Undead Labs are another mediocre studio. Obsidian could be good, but am only interested in Avowed and that's a way off so it's wait and see with them.

Leyasu

Banned
People are saying Sony can't make a Zenimax level purchase because they can't afford it.

Let me ask you guys this:

If Nintendo magically went up for sale for $10.5 billion, do you think Sony would pass because they couldn't afford it?
?? How could anyone possibly answer your question lol

If Nintendo went up for sale at 10bn, the final sale price would be much higher I feel. It would turn into a vicious battle of war chests. There would be loads of interest in Nintendo

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
?? How could anyone possibly answer your question lol

If Nintendo went up for sale at 10bn, the final sale price would be much higher I feel. It would turn into a vicious battle of war chests. There would be loads of interest in Nintendo

I'm excluding things such as a bidding war because this is purely hypothetical. People think Sony can't make a Zenimax level purchase because they don't have the money and that $7.5b would be too much for them.

so, you insinuating, that Sony should buy something mediocre and overpay 5 Billion, just to show their power?
They already made lot of mediocre acquisitions, latest is in form of Housemarque.

Zenimax level massive acquisition is impossible for Sony doesnt matter how Sony fans spin it. Whole existence of the company depends on one division regardless of how you want everyone to believe otherwise.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Talk to me when they Zenimax level purchase. Till then go sleep and imagine about Sony's wealth lol.
We don't have to. There was a detailed post about sony's wealth earlier. They have plenty of money. They simply don't need to spend because they aren't as desperate as MS.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Talk to me when they Zenimax level purchase. Till then go sleep and imagine about Sony's wealth lol.
This is rather dumb. lol

Just because Sony hasn't purchased someone as big as Zenimax, that doesn't mean they're not capable of doing it. The argument can be made that Sony may have thought the price wasn't worth, considering a lot of their IPs aren't hits.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
They already made lot of mediocre acquisitions, latest is in form of Housemarque.

Zenimax level massive acquisition is impossible for Sony doesnt matter how Sony fans spin it. Whole existence of the company depends on one division regardless of how you want everyone to believe otherwise.
Where's your proof that its impossible?

This is rather dumb. lol

Just because Sony hasn't purchased someone as big as Zenimax, that doesn't mean they're not capable of doing it. The argument can be made that Sony may have thought the price wasn't worth, considering a lot of their IPs aren't hits.

Or Sony not capable of making big acquisitions like Zenimax.

If Sony had option or money to outbid MS to get Zenimax, they would have done it but we all know they cant.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

If Sony had option or money to outbid MS to get Zenimax, they would have done it but we all know they cant.
Again, where's your proof they can't make a Zenimax level purchase?

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch

My dad can beat up your dad! How sad. Tell me how has the Zenimax acquisition helped out so far? Still in third place?

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Come on, they can’t afford a Zenimax acquisition. Stop pretending.

They can afford stuff like Housemarque and the other PC guys they bought last week, that’s about it.
Saying, "Come on, they can't afford a Zenimax acquisition" is not proof.

Again, where's your proof?

Where's your proof that its impossible?
Where's your proof that its possible? Which 8-10b level purchase Sony made till now? MS made plenty such purchases.

Columbia pics was Sony's biggest acquisition for 3billion something afaik.
My dad can beat up your dad! How sad. Tell me how has the Zenimax acquisition helped out so far? Still in third place?

Starfield coming exclusively next year. How does that Sound?.

And its irrelevant to discussion. We talking about financial power of companies in this thread. You trying to change subject to oh - PS division makes more money". We all know that but we talking about whole company.

Which 8-10b level purchase Sony made till now? MS made plenty such purchases.

MOTM

Banned

The fact that they are hunting for studios and bought Housemarque and the other guys that nobody knew existed.

Also the fact that they are wasting money on timed exclusivity for every Bethesda game they could money hat. MS just bought them straight up because they have the cash, Sony doesn’t.

Now, I know you know already Sony doesn’t have the money so you’re asking for « proof » to keep the denial going.

How can u prove they can? Have they made 8 to 10b level acquisition before?

Company had to sell their NY office to survive few years back. They not that wealthy like you all want to believe. If you remove PS division their value tanks and me and you will be able to buy them lol.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Where's your proof that its possible? Which 8-10b level purchase Sony made till now? MS made plenty such purchases.

Starfield coming exclusively next year. How does that Sound?.

And its irrelevant to discussion. We talking about financial power of companies in this thread. You trying to change subject to oh - PS division makes more money". We all know that but we talking about whole company.

Which 8-10b level purchase Sony made till now? MS made plenty such purchases.

Starfield lol. That could be a thing. And MS losing handily is entirely relevant. Sony doesn't have to. They are winning. That may be hard for you to accept but it's empirically true. MS is throwing billions out there to try and stay in the game. Sony doesn't need to. Nintendo doesn't need to either. MS is desperate. Why haven't they bought someone like epic then? If they have all the money in the world?

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

So, I asked you proof and your response is, "Where's your proof?".

Don't go around tell people that they can't without proof. They literally have enough cash to make a big 7.5b, which proof in itself. Its a matter of if they want to or not.

The fact that they are hunting for studios and bought Housemarque and the other guys that nobody knew existed.

Also the fact that they are wasting money on timed exclusivity for every Bethesda game they could money hat. MS just bought them straight up because they have the cash, Sony doesn’t.

Now, I know you know already Sony doesn’t have the money so you’re asking for « proof » to keep the denial going.
Yup

They were trying real hard to secure Starfield exclusivity for PS before acquisition but MS came in overpowered them with $$$ and Sony gave up.

Leyasu

Banned
Starfield lol. That could be a thing. And MS losing handily is entirely relevant. Sony doesn't have to. They are winning. That may be hard for you to accept but it's empirically true. MS is throwing billions out there to try and stay in the game. Sony doesn't need to. Nintendo doesn't need to either. MS is desperate. Why haven't they bought someone like epic then? If they have all the money in the world?
How many I.Ps with the studios to make those games would epic bring if bought?

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

Do you know how many big studios they tried to acquire and they didn't want to be bought?

Do you know how many studios they're currently after?

You're using time exclusivity as proof they they couldn't make a purchase, which is dumb.

I can easily say that they only wanted time exclusive deals for some games because buying the entire company who make a lot of unsuccessful titles wasn't worth the 7.5b price tag.

They don't? That's not what the facts show. Your proof is that since they're looking for timed exclusive deals and they purchased a small studio, that's proof they can't afford it.

You can't use assumptions as proof.

Correction - Sony cant.

And we talking about whole company not just purely Xbox and PS division. MS will still remain 2trillion dollar company without Xbox but Sony will be dead without PS. That's the main difference. Sony dependent on gaming like Nintendo to survive but MS can kill Xbox even though its making billions every year and still nothing will change for them.

Fact Sony can't even afford their own data centres and server farm and need AWS or now Azure to keep their online services running proves how wealthy Sony is as a company lol

Gediminas

Banned
So, I asked you proof and your response is, "Where's your proof?".

Don't go around tell people that they can't without proof. They literally have enough cash to make a big 7.5b, which proof in itself. Its a matter of if they want to or not.
we need to stop feeding trolls. they are acting like children, popularity instead of logical, calculated and clever business. is m$ acting like headless chicken, does not mean that everyone has to follow them, m$ doing stupid shit all time.

that's why Sony on top and m$ is at the bottom.

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
Fortnite is still a big deal is it not? That's bigger than anything Bethesda has.
Fortuite is a big deal because of its multi platform presence. Like minecraft.

I ask again, how many I.Ps and the studios to work on those games would epic bring?

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
How can u prove they can? Have they made 8 to 10b level acquisition before?

Company had to sell their NY office to survive few years back. They not that wealthy like you all want to believe. If you remove PS division their value tanks and me and you will be able to buy them lol.

You're admitting you don't have proof because you keep asking me the same question I'm asking you. People already posted how much cash they have on hand, but you ignored it for obvious reasons.

If I ask for proof and you only ask me the same question that I asked you, then you're admitting you don't have it and you're only assuming.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Correction - Sony cant.

And we talking about whole company not just purely Xbox and PS division. MS will still remain 2trillion dollar company without Xbox but Sony will be dead without PS. That's the main difference. Sony dependent on gaming like Nintendo to survive but MS can kill Xbox even though its making billions every year and still nothing will change for them.

Fact Sony can't even afford their own data centres and server farm and need AWS or now Azure to keep their online services running proves how wealthy Sony is as a company lol
So since you all have given up on winning in sales of consoles, software or services now it's about the parent companies wealth? Alrighty then. Take what you can get I guess.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Fortuite is a big deal because of its multi platform presence. Like mine craft.

I ask again, how many I.Ps and the studios to work on those games would epic bring?
I fail to see how that is relevant. Unreal engine would be the big get there besides Fortnite. Imagine owning the engine that most games are built on? Besides all that wasn't there rumors years ago of MS in fact trying to buy epic?

Leyasu

Banned
I fail to see how that is relevant. Unreal engine would be the big get there besides Fortnite. Imagine owning the engine that most games are built on? Besides all that wasn't there rumors years ago of MS in fact trying to buy epic?
You don’t see the relevance because you haven’t figured out why they purchased Bethesda. They wanted the I.P and the studios to pump out content for game pass.

Fortnite is massive and the unreal engine would be great gets, but they ain’t what Microsoft need, they need content and lots of it, with the manpower to make said content

Papacheeks

Banned

Your literally calling Housemarque mediocre developer?

Their output is super good.:

I'm sorry but thats super solid for a small developer.

Also have you ever taken a second to think Sony doesn't want to add a ton of developers with it's own publishing company? It adds way more complexity to oversee that many studios and projects. Sony like to actually manage their studios and their projects so they can screen for quality.

Same as Nintendo when it comes to internal managed studios.

Where is that quality control within Micrsoft? You literally have a mixed bag with internal teams and MS seem hands off, which is great for creativity, but not great for screening what is working what isn't.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
You don’t see the relevance because you haven’t figured out why they purchased Bethesda. They wanted the I.P and the studios to pump out content for game pass.

Fortnite is massive and the unreal engine would be great gets, but they ain’t what Microsoft need, they need content and lots of it, with the manpower to make said content
I would see your point if Microsft had not paid a billion dollars for Minecraft alone. Or was it two billion? Fortnite plus unreal engine are worth much more than that easily. You know that. So why haven't they bought them? I can take it even further and ask why they haven't bought Nintendo. That's the only acquisition out there that could possibly change everything. They even tried on that one point and were laughed out of the building. Why not offer them even more money?

Microsoft doesn't have enough cash to buy Sony, even if it was actually possible..... which it is not.

I really wish people would not talk about stuff they have not the first clue about.
please show me where i ever said that MS has that money to spend? read over it again and think about it.

i was only comparing the finances of both companies and dumbing it down to make it easier to understand. i know how a business is run and how stocks/finances work.

:rolleyes:

Leyasu

Banned
I would see your point if Microsft had not paid a billion dollars for Minecraft alone. Or was it two billion? Fortnite plus unreal engine are worth much more than that easily. You know that. So why haven't they bought them? I can take it even further and ask why they haven't bought Nintendo. That's the only acquisition out there that could possibly change everything. They even tried on that one point and were laughed out of the building. Why not offer them even more money?
Minecraft was pre gamepass. But neither you nor I can say why they bought it.

Again, fortnite is one game, and people won’t pay a subscription to play that or the unreal engine. They need games that are coming out every few months. The only way to do that is with I.Ps and studios. Not one free to play game and a game engine.

Your talking about buying Nintendo is not a gotcha. You do understand that right? Although I am sure that Microsoft would love to buy them if they could.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Minecraft was pre gamepass. But neither you nor I can say why they bought it.

Again, fortnite is one game, and people won’t pay a subscription to play that or the unreal engine. They need games that are coming out every few months. The only way to do that is with I.Ps and studios. Not one free to play game and a game engine.

Your talking about buying Nintendo is not a gotcha. You do understand that right? Although I am sure that Microsoft would love to buy them if they could.
It is. The whole point that you guys are making is that they have all the money in the world and they need ips. Nintendo would give them some of the most valuable ips in the world. They know that. They tried to buy them. This was confirmed by MS themselves.

No need to buy the whole company if you're just gunning for timed exclusivity on a single title, MS had a huge gap in their GP lineup, wanted to stack it, that's the explanation. Also, Sony could afford if they wanted to, they have a decent chunk of cash on hand. If they didn't have it on hand, they could raise it through other means. There is like these big houses, that house lots of money, that let big companies borrow/take out lines of credit, it's the craziest thing.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Correction - Sony cant.

You're insulting Sony's business acumen.

Leyasu

Banned
It is. The whole point that you guys are making is that they have all the money in the world and they need ips. Nintendo would give them some of the most valuable ips in the world. They know that. They tried to buy them. This was confirmed by MS themselves.
It’s not. You said yourself Nintendo didn’t want to sell. They can’t buy if Nintendo don’t want to be bought. So I don’t really understand why you think that talking about them proves anything.

Oh yeah, I didn’t say that Microsoft have unlimited money.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
It’s not. You said yourself Nintendo didn’t want to sell. They can’t buy if Nintendo don’t want to be bought. So I don’t really understand why you think that talking about them proves anything.

Oh yeah, I didn’t say that Microsoft have unlimited money.
That's what your compatriots are going with now. Since MS is losing in every metric they are going on parent companies' wealth now. Keep up.

Leyasu

Banned
That's what your compatriots are going with now. Since MS is losing in every metric they are going on parent companies' wealth now. Keep up.
Don’t include me with those idiots. I didn’t quote you originally because of console wars, I quoted you because your post was a little crazy.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Don’t include me with those idiots. I didn’t quote you originally because of console wars, I quoted you because your post was a little crazy.
I'll give you the credit you are making a lot more sense than them. I'm well aware of the IP need for MS. They can't count on the holy trinity of Forza, Halo, Gears anymore. That was made obvious in the last generation. I was going at them for the whole unlimited money argument. I assumed you were with them in that argument. My bad on that.

Leyasu

Banned
I'll give you the credit you are making a lot more sense than them. I'm well aware of the IP need for MS. They can't count on the holy trinity of Forza, Halo, Gears anymore. That was made obvious in the last generation. I was going at them for the whole unlimited money argument. I assumed you were with them in that argument. My bad on that.
No worries. I am just trying to imagine a gears, forza, halo only gamepass schedule lol.

Microsoft don’t have unlimited funds for Phil. They are obviously investing for the service, but I feel that their purchases are tied to subscriber number milestones. I.E, they want subscription revenue to pay for the studios running costs.

Top Bottom