• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation's spending spree is radically different to Xbox's

Three

Gold Member
Yes absolutely, it's not as if I said the vast majority of Sony's studios make third person action adventure games - meaning some make Gran Turismo, AA-tier platfomers, under-performing "media creation".

I suggest reading a post before responding to it.
😄 AA-tier platformer and under performing media creation. Salty as f*ck. If R&C is AA-tier I'd love to hear what you think other platformers are. Also, it's 3 studios not 2.

FritzJ92

Sony needs Google Software and a Microsoft Software to keep its businesses floating.
Microsoft needs business customers, Sony being one of them.
That’s the difference.

Yeah
There is no alternative for Sony really

They simply cannot afford a big publisher so their strategy is really the ONLY viable one

not really news
Sony already have a significant amount of studios, there's no need for them to do arsh moves like MS is doing. A steady well though out strategy will work (obviously they don't want to let MS get away with an insane amount of studios).

Sony also has the option to grow their existing studios, which MS could not realistically do, given the state of their studio stable before they began their buying spree.

ZehDon

😄 AA-tier platformer and under performing media creation. Salty as f*ck. If R&C is AA-tier I'd love to hear what you think other platformers are. Also, it's 3 studios not 2.
Obviously I was referring to "Sackboy: A Little Big Planet Adventure" as its actually a platformer, while Ratchet & Clank is decidedly more of a third person action adventure game, with all the guns, explosions, shooting and such. So, like the previous poster, I'd suggest reading a post before replying to it.

Hezekiah

Banned
Yes absolutely, it's not as if I said the vast majority of Sony's studios make third person action adventure games - meaning some make Gran Turismo, AA-tier platfomers, under-performing "media creation".

I suggest reading a post before responding to it.
"if you're looking for literally anything else, Sony simply doesn't have an offering"

How about instead you don't send shit posts like the above which only reveal how clueless you are 💩.

Renozokii

The real question is, if Sony had the resources at its disposal that MS had, would it still be following its present strategy or would it mirror that of Microsoft? History points to it prehaps being more along the lines of Microsoft, there was a time when Sony was also quick to snap up studios as well. Sony's strategy is let's be real, a matter of reality versus what it prehaps would like to do.
The answer to your odd point is probably not but also kind of yes. For kind of yes,I don’t think playstation would ever aim to be the brand Xbox is because why the hell would they? Their strategy is infinitely better as seen by the numbers, you don’t follow the loser if you win, you keep doing what you do best. Their strategy of careful planning and bringing up devs and studios to be of what you could consider “PlayStation quality” before buying is the same as investing in small start ups with solid results and great talent before acquiring them vs what Xbox does, which is buy whatever companies you can with no rhyme or reason.

As for no, of course they’d have bought a few more studios by now if they could fling their money around similarly, but I still don’t see them buying any of the studios Microsoft has except maybe, MAYBE obsidian. Microsoft’s acquisitions spree is disjointed, the studios don’t appear to be working together all that much save for situations like halo infinite needing emergency help. Compare that to Sony’s studios being synergetic. The studios also have been growing very rapidly. We hear nearly every develop expanding to 2-3 teams despite many of them barely able to make a single really solid game at a good pace. Sony’s studios have been infinitely more solid and efficient yet growing them has seemingly been slow and somewhat painful. We are going to get stinkers form other wise fairly good studios that are now under Xbox because it’ll be some shit tier team cobbled together that gets to slap the studios name on their game. You can quote me on that. Sony wants teams that have shown stability and growth. Undead labs for example made a worse second game with more money and help. I’m pretty sure double fine is far past their peak even if pyschonauts 2 is pretty good. What’s the point of that purchase? Just filler?

Renozokii

MS buying Fine Aged Ribeye
Sony buying Walmart last day discount chuck
I mean honestly speaking MS is buying meat on the verge of expiration while Sony is buying baby cows. Xbox fans act like zenimax hasn’t been on the downswing basically the last 5 years

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I mean honestly speaking MS is buying meat on the verge of expiration while Sony is buying baby cows. Xbox fans act like zenimax hasn’t been on the downswing basically the last 5 years

‘yeah doom was shit you are right…

The Rock Reaction GIF by WWE

Renozokii

‘yeah doom was shit you are right…

The Rock Reaction GIF by WWE
Oh look the single counter example!

what about fallout 76, evil within 2, wolfenstein new blood, and dishonored 2? Games marginally worse are barely better than their predecessors all with underwhelming sales? You can even throw fallout 4 in that pile which ended up selling less than fallout 3 and definitely isn’t as celebrated by fallout fans. You gotta love it, I give a large time span and you counter with one single game, brilliant.

Returnal on the other hand was an immense step up for housemarque and a better triple a title than teams 3 times their size can dish out. Demons souls is to date amongst the best looking games on the market and one of the most comprehensive remakes we’ve ever seen. Plus bluepoint is looking to make a new ip. These are studios barely getting started. The vast majority of studios Microsoft bought are near their expiration date.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Oh look the single counter example!

what about fallout 76, evil within 2, wolfenstein new blood, and dishonored 2? Games marginally worse are barely better than their predecessors all with underwhelming sales? You can even throw fallout 4 in that pile which ended up selling less than fallout 3 and definitely isn’t as celebrated by fallout fans. You gotta love it, I give a large time span and you counter with one single game, brilliant.

Returnal on the other hand was an immense step up for housemarque and a better triple a title than teams 3 times their size can dish out. Demons souls is to date amongst the best looking games on the market and one of the most comprehensive remakes we’ve ever seen. Plus bluepoint is looking to make a new ip. These are studios barely getting started. The vast majority of studios Microsoft bought are near their expiration date.

gotta love it when bring up sales yet every game listed sold way way way way way less then the worse selling Bethesda game you mentioned. Tell yourself what ever eases the sting of the lose I guess.

Gamerguy84

Just wanted to point out if no one else has that purchasing a single studio is the initial investment.

After that you have payroll and any other expenses of owning said studio, unless it's factored in for a length of time. I honestly don't know how it all works but it's something else to consider. Maybe someone will chime in on this.

Just looked up Besthesda game studios and they have 420+ in 2021. Naughty Dog has 504 and grew their base by 20% last year (wtf are they up to right now)

Anyway the more studios you have the bigger your payroll is.

bitbydeath

Will never understand why people are so salty over Microsoft acquiring Bethesda.
If Sony ends up buying Epic Games or Square Enix (or both) we’ll no doubt hear endless complaints from MS fans, and that may be on the cards since Sony just bought SE’s partner studio and have already invested in Epic.

Last edited:

Renozokii

gotta love it when bring up sales yet every game listed sold way way way way way less then the worse selling Bethesda game you mentioned. Tell yourself what ever eases the sting of the lose I guess.
Point me in the direction of returnal and demons souls sales number please and thanks. And yes I’m more happy with a new ip even if it did sell less than a games sequel that was worse then its predecessors. I used sales for those games as none of them are new IP for a metric of popularity. Sequels that people like tend to do more than the original, no?

And lose? What the hell am I losing? I’ve had a steady stream of great first party content that actually uses the features of my new console so far. The first exclusive for the new Xbox consoles is a simulator game most will get bored of in a couple of hours and later this year another halo and another forza.

Sony has the resources. However with $7billion dollars you can pick up far more exclusive games with an exclusivity contract across many more studios especially as you are only combating a small xbox install base and would pay less for securing them. Securing those exclusives would be more costly for MS and they could have "moneyhat" the third party games too (as if a $7b acquisition is not a moneyhat). MS needed Bethesda more hence why they paid so much and Sony didn't. Just because they didn't it doesn't mean they couldn't. It's far more beneficial for Sony to do exclusives with third parties.
Well Xbox didn't want amazon or google picking them up as those companies dial up their presence in the game industry.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
If Sony ends up buying Epic Games or Square Enix (or both) we’ll no doubt hear endless complaints from MS fans, and that may be on the cards since Sony just bought SE’s partner studio and have already invested in Epic.
Epic Games would only affect Microsoft if they can't use Unreal Engine which I don't see happening because that's free money for Sony and wouldn't make any sense to take it away which in turn would also hurt their third party partners. Square Enix works closely with Sony for their Japanese games so even if Sony acquires them, Microsoft wasn't getting their Japanese games to begin with and if they do like Dragon Quest XI, it's years later. Losing out on Crystal Dynamics and Eidos Montreal would hurt Microsoft more but then again, looking at Avengers and GOTG, that may end up being a win instead of a loss. Also, Sony investing into Epic means nothing. It's like under 2% or something like that. Doesn't mean anything. Nixxes was independent and not owned by Square Enix who could have bid on Nixxes but Sony offered more which makes sense since Sony's end game is to put their exclusives on PC day one.

Renozokii

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2021-01-29/amazon-game-studios-struggles-to-find-a-hit

"Amazon is spending nearly $500 million a year operating the video game division, two people familiar with the budget say. That amount doesn’t include Twitch or a new project under different management, which is building a service to stream games to a computer, phone or Amazon Fire TV."
So no source on any of that being used on acquisitions or planned on being used for acquisitions? Also it’s not dialing up if they’ve BEEN spending 500 mill a year, but that’s just a technicality and I’ll let that go lol

So no source on any of that being used on acquisitions or planned on being used for acquisitions? Also it’s not dialing up if they’ve BEEN spending 500 mill a year, but that’s just a technicality and I’ll let that go lol
Thats dialing up from no presence a couple of years ago and tying a gaming service into amazon prime which has 157 million users. If thats nothing to you then you have huge expectations for the industry.

Renozokii

Thats dialing up from no presence a couple of years ago and tying a gaming service into amazon prime which has 157 million users. If thats nothing to you then you have huge expectations for the industry.
But the implication was they sensed Amazon moving in on an acquisition yet it seems they have yet to enter that stage, especially not to the degree of buying out a full publisher. It’s tiring Microsoft’s acquisition of Bethesda being painted as anything other than what it actually was thanks to pr and astroturfing. Xbox first party sucked ass. Even after many other acquisitions it still sucked ass. Zenimax was affordable and potentially available so Microsoft offered an obscene amount for them so their first party line up sucked less ass.

But the implication was they sensed Amazon moving in on an acquisition yet it seems they have yet to enter that stage, especially not to the degree of buying out a full publisher. It’s tiring Microsoft’s acquisition of Bethesda being painted as anything other than what it actually was thanks to pr and astroturfing. Xbox first party sucked ass. Even after many other acquisitions it still sucked ass. Zenimax was affordable and potentially available so Microsoft offered an obscene amount for them so their first party line up sucked less ass.
A good move is to attack the other multi trillion dollar businesses before they can gain a foot hold. Just look at tencent on the other side of the pond. With the industry consolidating and Playstation showing the value of IP the companies trying to push their service will spend a couple of billion dollars which is pennies to them to be at the center of a possible multi billion dollar play in the long run. Amazon, google, facebook, tencent are the companies with the capability to corner the market in a similar way. Mind you its only going to get worse as time goes forward. Don't be shock when you start to see major player acquired.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
So MS is "frenzied," because they are just throwing around money but Sony "goes on dates" first.

This just isn't all that accurate. MS basically was the biggest partner that allowed Bethesda to transition from a niche company into a juggernaut. Morrowind on the original Xbox and Oblivion on 360 is what built Bethesda. They have gone on dates before and explained this in the acquisition video.
MS and Bethesda dated 15 years ago. They then started seeing other people. They still hooked up every now and then, but it was clear that it was an open relationship. Then recently, Sony and Zenimax started thinking of going exclusive by agreeing to only fuck each other for a good year or two while they played Deathloop and Ghostwire tokyo, and MS freaked out and proposed with a $7.5 billion ring.

The way sony dates and then proposes is slightly different. They date for a good 5-10 years exclusively. they control their studios like saudis control their women. you date me and no one else. then after they have proven their worth with a few good games, they put a ring on it. See sucker punch, evolution studios, GG, housemarque and even Naughty Dog.

the only studio that doesnt fit this pattern is them buying nixxes. I am guessing this is due to them willing to let their games date PC gamers which is different from what they have done before.

MS on the other hand only had prior relationships with playground games. Ninja Theory, Obsidian, Zenimax are all companies that werent in an exclusive relationship with MS like bluepoint has been since they ported Titanfall on the 360 way back in 2014.
Sony is making smart moves buying companies they've worked and who fit their gaming ethos, while Microsoft was desperate and spent $7.5b on a publisher because no games and for the IPs.
This is a hot take but not all that wrong. Especially considering Halo Infinite and Forza Horizon 5 are probably going to be the only two MS first party games released until 2023. But with zenimax now in the picture, they will have redfall and starfield release next year filling in a crucial second year. Avowed, Perfect Dark, Hellblade 2, Fable and State of Decay being MIA could mean they are 2023 titles at the latest.

That said, if MS was really desperate they wouldve just gone out and bought exclusives like they always have. Titanfall, Rise of Tomb Raider, Ryse, Scalebound. Plenty of studios would give up exclusives for a $100 million or so. They spent $7.5 billion because they are in it for good. It's a bold statement of intent, not a desperate last second hail Mary.

If buying smaller studios is smart then surely MS buying Ninja Theory, Obsidian, Playground Games, Undead Labs is also considered smart, no?

Renozokii

A good move is to attack the other multi trillion dollar businesses before they can gain a foot hold. Just look at tencent on the other side of the pond. With the industry consolidating and Playstation showing the value of IP the companies trying to push their service will spend a couple of billion dollars which is pennies to them to be at the center of a possible multi billion dollar play in the long run. Amazon, google, facebook, tencent are the companies with the capability to corner the market in a similar way. Mind you its only going to get worse as time goes forward. Don't be shock when you start to see major player acquired.
>A good move is to attack the other multi trillion dollar businesses before they can gain a foot hold. Just look at tencent on the other side of the pond.

The best move however, is for consumers to buy the PR of corporate suits and obvious astroturfing to the point of looking favorably at a multi trillion dollar cooperation spending money out the ass after failing to compete in an industry.

>With the industry consolidating and Playstation showing the value of IP the companies trying to push their service will spend a couple of billion dollars which is pennies to them to be at the center of a possible multi billion dollar play in the long run.

Which should be looked at in disgust by any consumers, rather than repainting what Microsoft is really doing. They are fixing their short comings with money after failing to build up something stable and self sustaining within the gaming despite being present for decades. The comparison to tencent is stupid. Tencent is a Chinese government funded way to breach a massive industry through sheer money in order to push their agenda and of course make more money long term. I also disagree with your point of Sony showing the value of ips. Some of their best selling titles are new ips and almost none of their franchises get more than 4 or 5 games. What Sony’s done is show the value in understanding your audience, being in tune with developers, and building up studios with proper guidance. All qualities Xbox utterly lacks, no amount of buying will change that.

>Amazon, google, facebook, tencent are the companies with the capability to corner the market in a similar way. Mind you its only going to get worse as time goes forward. Don't be shock when you start to see major player acquired.

Which is all hilarious. Sony and Nintendo have some the largest and most valuable studios and ips in gaming. Microsoft is still the only major player to make these sorts of massive and numerous acquisitions. Even Amazon understands in order to come in hot you develop your own slate and build up your own studios over time. Facebook is trying to carve a standing in vr before it truly takes off, as is Sony.

Playstation will have vr, the best line up of exclusives, a far more recognized brand, and far more global appeal. They can enter the game streaming market at a moments notice, any large cloud providers would bend over backwards to partner with them, including Microsoft themself frankly. Sony’s strategy is better and proven more effective. Enough with the excuses. Major acquisitions aren’t as common as what Microsoft did in gaming recently anywhere else.

I love Sony's acquisition of quality (smallish) developers.
Assuming Bluepoint and Arcsystemworks is true then they are acquiring what I like.
Go China! I mean Sony.

The real question is, if Sony had the resources at its disposal that MS had, would it still be following its present strategy or would it mirror that of Microsoft? History points to it prehaps being more along the lines of Microsoft, there was a time when Sony was also quick to snap up studios as well. Sony's strategy is let's be real, a matter of reality versus what it prehaps would like to do.
Sony spends a bitch load in music. In games they are less aggressive. I think it has to do with third party relationships. Or Sony (real story) never wanted gaming to be their diving business. I constantly see 500 million music related purchases.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...ael-jacksons-stake-in-lucrative-music-catalog

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Yes they would. Some of yall act like Sony only has $2 Billion of cash on hand. Sony's strategy is just different from Microsoft's. And that's okay. Everybody doesn't need to be carbon copies of MS.

Spin it how you want but the fact is Sony simply can’t afford to spend the same as MS so they need to think smaller and be more cautious.

MS spent $7.5 billion on Zenimax. Could Sony spend that? Yes. But it’d wipe off about 6% of their total valuation and it’d take them about a month to make it back.

Don’t think that sounds too bad? let’s compare it to MS: when they spent $7.5 billion their market cap dropped about 0.36% and it’d take them about 8 days to make it back. They could spend another $7.5 billion today and make it back by next Wednesday. It’s basically nothing to them.

Another example of how much money MS has: if MS bought Sony it take 6 months to make back what they spent. Other way around?? It’d take Sony 16 years to make enough money to buy MS and another 2 to get back to where they are now.

Last edited:
Their strategies are different. MS needed to do something, anything to bolster their flailing portfolio. They just don't take the time to create proper relationships with their studios, and they end up mismanaging them to the point that even though they release games, most of them aren't too crash hot. The Bethesda buy was a much needed shot to the arm for talent and to pad their output with IPs that are guaranteed to sell.

Sony tends to buy studios that they have grown organically with over the years, they have great working partnerships, and Sony tends to expand those studios to have multiple teams. They don't need 40 studios, when you can have 20 studios working on 2 projects each with higher talent pools.

Both strategies work, but Sony's tends to lead to higher quality content with far more consistency.

This generation will be interesting for sure.

Spin it how you want but the fact is Sony simply can’t afford to spend the same as MS so they need to think smaller and be more cautious.

MS spent $7.5 billion on Zenimax. Could Sony spend that? Yes. But it’d wipe off about 6% of their total valuation and it’d take them about a month to make it back.

Don’t think that sounds too bad? let’s compare it to MS: when they spent $7.5 billion their market cap dropped about 0.36% and it’d take them about 8 days to make it back. They could spend another $7.5 billion today and make it back by next Wednesday. It’s basically nothing to them.

Another example of how much money MS has: if MS bought Sony it take 6 months to make back what they spent. Other way around?? It’d take Sony 16 years to make enough money to buy MS and another 2 to get back to where they are now.
Why would Sony spending $7.5B wipe out any amount off the total valuation?

Bryank75

Banned
Why would Sony spending $7.5B wipe out any amount off the total valuation?

Because he has no idea what he is talking about.....

He is probably another person who thinks 2 trillion is the amount of money MSFT actually has and doesn't know the difference between market cap and cash on hand or how companies work in even the most basic sense.

Bryank75

Banned

Microsoft doesn't have enough cash to buy Sony, even if it was actually possible..... which it is not.

I really wish people would not talk about stuff they have not the first clue about.

Iced Arcade

I see both MS and Sony protecting from the oncoming competition.

Big houses like Bethesda being scooped up by the likes of Google, amazon etc or apple swooping in and buying smaller established studios like Housemarque is definitely a threat.

I mean Microsoft literally has stated this being a thing already.

I mean I was obviously kidding abt Millions to Billions but you made me curious and I saw that Playstation was almost double the revenue of Xbox last year $12B to $22B

Looking back thru the years Xbox isn’t even touching Playstation records of a few years ago. The overall financial power of their respective gaming divisions isn’t even in the same league.

Yes, PS division makes more money than Xbox gaming division but that doesn't mean much coz we talking about overall company financial power as acquisitions are made by company not their divisions. House marque is acquired by Sony not PS division. It got merged into PS but purchase was made by Sony as a corporation. Same goes for MS acquisition.

Sony business and survival fully dependent on PS division success. If PS dies then Sony financial power is as big as company you find in Bangladesh lol.

Sony even in million years will not be able to make acquisition like Bethesda. They only can acquire indies which is fine but im just trying to point out when it comes financial power MS is different universe than Sony. Sony is tiny when compared to MS overall. But to agree with your point about divisions then Xbox is tiny when compared to PS popularity overall worldwide and global reach but that can change if upcoming 1st party games turns out to be really good and Xbox makes all right moves without fuckups.

Bryank75

Banned
Yes, PS division makes more money than Xbox gaming division but that doesn't mean much coz we talking about overall company financial power as acquisitions are made by company not their divisions. House marque is acquired by Sony not PS division. It got merged into PS but purchase was made by Sony as a corporation. Same goes for MS acquisition.

Sony business and survival fully dependent on PS division success. If PS dies then Sony financial power is as big as company you find in Bangladesh lol.

Sony even in million years will not be able to make acquisition like Bethesda. They only can acquire indies which is fine but im just trying to point out when it comes financial power MS is different universe than Sony. Sony is tiny when compared to MS overall. But to agree with your point about divisions then Xbox is tiny when compared to PS popularity overall worldwide and global reach but that can change if upcoming 1st party games turns out to be really good and Xbox makes all right moves without fuckups.

Although I don't know for sure.....

I don't think any of the acquisitions came out of Sony cash, I think they are so small that they can just pay from their annual budget. They literally cost less than what they spend on a first party game.

Sony is not dependent on PS division.... PS division made 3.1 Billion last year out of Sony's 10.7 Billion. The company is very profitable overall.

Also, no..... Sony has pretty comparable overall Assets to Microsoft and Sony could easily make a purchase like Zenimax.

I dunno where you get the idea that they are so badly off?

Total Assets of Sony: 248 Billion
Total Assets of Microsoft: 308 Billion

Now Market Cap

Sony: 126 Billion
Microsoft: 2.09 Trillion

Market cap is how much the shares that shareholders of the company own, are worth. They do not belong to the company anymore and do not factor into acquisitions / cash on hand or anything like that. Shareholders make the money from the price going up, not MSFT / Sony.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Ok Mr Gaf financial advisor. Tell us more :)

Sorry if I seem any bit condescending or not nice about the way I phrased things..... I just keep having to say the same things to people in the thread.

Anyway, I have a few posts including the one above. Macrotrends is a great resource to compare companies.

Microsoft has more cash on hand, absolutely but it's not the massive difference people make out due to other issues like debt etc.

Although I don't know for sure.....

I don't think any of the acquisitions came out of Sony cash, I think they are so small that they can just pay from their annual budget. They literally cost less than what they spend on a first party game.

Sony is not dependent on PS division.... PS division made 3.1 Billion last year out of Sony's 10.7 Billion. The company is very profitable overall.

Also, no..... Sony has pretty comparable overall Assets to Microsoft and Sony could easily make a purchase like Zenimax.

I dunno where you get the idea that they are so badly off?

Total Assets of Sony: 248 Billion
Total Assets of Microsoft: 308 Billion

Now Market Cap

Sony: 126 Billion
Microsoft: 2.09 Trillion

Market cap is how much the shares that shareholders of the company own, are worth. They do not belong to the company anymore and do not factor into acquisitions / cash on hand or anything like that. Shareholders make the money from the price going up, not MSFT / Sony.
Acquisition is made by Sony. All acquisitions not PS division. Same goes for Xbox.

And no Sony can never make acquisition of Zenimax scale. Crynchy roll their max capacity of big acquisitions. There's a reason Sony never made big acquisitions.

Intersting read

Acquisition is made by Sony. All acquisitions not PS division. Same goes for Xbox.

And no Sony can never make acquisition of Zenimax scale. Crynchy roll their max capacity of big acquisitions. There's a reason Sony never made big acquisitions.

Intersting read

Crunchyroll their max capacity of big acquisitions when 3 years ago they made an acquisition twice as big?

Till i see a huge Star wars or Zenimax level acquisition from Sony. We can't compare, i mean there's a reason Sony can't do game pass like subscription as it needs massive investment . There is a reason, Sony can't do Zenimax level or LinkedIn level acquisition that MS did.

Bryank75

Banned

Intersting read

They currently own stock in a single company of 18 Billion. (Sony own 33% of the company)

M3 Inc, so you are wrong about them not being able to buy a company worth 7.5 billion.

Net worth makes Sony look smaller than they are because you are using Market Cap......again, I explained that is not money the company has, it is investors money.

The article you posted isn't particularly insightful. Very basic info.

FranXico

Intersting read
Linked article does not prove the bold.

Last edited:
They currently own stock in a single company of 18 Billion. (Sony own 33% of the company)

M3 Inc, so you are wrong about them not being able to buy a company worth 7.5 billion.

Net worth makes Sony look smaller than they are because you are using Market Cap......again, I explained that is not money the company has, it is investors money.

The article you posted isn't particularly insightful. Very basic info.

Ok, im looking forward to the day when Sony will be able to make Zenimax level purchase. Lol.

Bryank75

Banned
Ok, im looking forward to the day when Sony will be able to make Zenimax level purchase. Lol.

M3 Inc

Sony Group Corporation230,457,80034.0%
Baillie Gifford & Co.55,936,4568.24%
Nomura Asset Management Co., Ltd.40,220,0475.93%
Harding Loevner LP22,424,0183.30%
JPMorgan Asset Management (Japan) Ltd.21,005,8083.09%
Nippon Telegraph and Telephone Corporation20,200,0002.98%
Nikko Asset Management Co., Ltd.19,509,8002.87%
Itaru Tanimura19,440,0002.86%
Daiwa Asset Management Co. Ltd.17,272,6952.54%
Capital Research & Management Co. (World Investors)15,554,351

M3 Market Cap is approximately 50 Billion

Sony's stake = 17 Billion.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
You people keep bringing up their financial struggle of a decade ago as if it's proof that they are broke right now LOL.
And back then, even the PS division was struggling, btw.

Yeah, not to mention the entire of Japan was in deep recession back then, they only recently exited that!

Top Bottom