• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Themes were cool

The Uncharted anniversary theme on PS4 is still the best to me. I also went a long period of time with the Nioh bloody grave theme.

On PS3, I think I still have the Tales of Symphonia collector's edition theme enabled.

I imagine they are hesitant to introduce themes since they are just another security risk.

Fbh

They were cool though to be honest I don't really miss them that much as I don't spend a lot of time on the main console dashboard anyway.
I think the last one I had before selling my ps4Pro was the Ghost of Tsushima one

One constant in the universe...if there's a feature that people like, companies will always take it away.

I don't really get why though.
It can't be that hard to implement, right? And many of them were paid which is just extra revenue for Sony. Plus they can use them as an added pre order bonus and things like that

Last edited:

Sushi_Combo

These themes were also a great incentive in investing for the digital editions. I loved pre-ordering and knowing that most games either offered a theme or some avatars.

TYRiAX

Themes are something I think are cool (if you can find one that appeals to your taste) but really I'm in the dashboard so little these days I wouldn't bother setting one should Sony ever enable them for PS5

SABRE220

The ps3 custom themes were the benchmark. Still don't know how we ended from that to the current sad state in the ps5.

CamHostage

Mmmmmm, PlayStation Themes...

-b_oKf.gif

Last edited:
I loved the themes on my PS4, particularly the real-time 3D ones. Some of them were really clever.

EDIT: ^ Yep those by Truant Pixel were really good

Last edited:

Audiophile

Still got a HDD somewhere with loads of custom PS3 themes I built. Will have to have a gander later..

This really seems like a case of Sony leaving money on the table. There's so many cool possibilities.

Not just Full Themes but individual icon packs, dynamic backgrounds, background sounds, menu/interaction sfx, even startup sounds and animations. I'd pay $2.99 for a PS1/PS2 startup remastered animation and sound, or the PS2 dynamic background with the sound of those waves.

It's not exactly a high cost endeavour and they could have a whole storefront of this stuff.

I appreciate having a degree of uniformity to a UI/UX and maintaining some rigidity in how you present your brand but the PS5 UI/UX is completely bland and uninspiring to begin with, it really couldn't hurt much. There's already a load of wasted space and when it is used it's for visual clutter that practically no one actually uses. Might as well fill it up with something nice.

Last edited:
Top Bottom