• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Themes were cool

Thought it would be a "coming soon" feature when PS5 launched but I guess they have decided to ditch it. Shame.

Please post some of your favorite themes.

tifa-theme.jpg

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Yeah, I miss these.

Menu became pretty boring.

In a sense it's kind of weird they dropped this. It worked extremely well for Digital editions.

Plus, more then one time I paid for a specific theme that I wanted. I'm sure others did too.

Still boot my PS4 from time to time just to hear the FFVII Remake Midgar Custom theme tune. It's so damn beaufitul.

Last edited:

mdkirby

Yes, they were. Tho I sometimes wonder if their removal was derived from data. As an unusual human, and a data point of 1, this is entirely anecdotal, but I would often leave the ps4 idle, just sat on the Home Screen for hours sometimes, whilst browsing my phone, happily listening to the curated background music and dynamic theme, kinda like reading a book by the fire. With the ps5, I do that way less, and feel compelled to quickly move into the Netflix app or launch a game etc, rarely leaving it idle for more than 10 mins. It’s just not well suited to background idle. Either way that will mean for Sony, “engagement” for me personally will be up as a result of scrapping dynamic themes. Do they have any data to suggest this was a broader experience I wonder? And that helped inform their decision to get rid of them?

kiphalfton

Got a virus on our home PC 15+ years ago when downloading a theme for PSP...

Was a Gears of War one, so should have known better.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
PS3 you could find custom made themes on the web. I miss preordering a game and getting a theme for that game. It made the wait extra special. All you get now is “Purchased” under the thumbnail of the game.

Drew1440

I always liked the ones that brought custom sounds. The themes with custom icons didn't age well however when Sony updated or added new stuff to the Xmb that the theme didn't have an icon for.

Reactions: Isa

Fake

PS3 and PS4 ability to use theme are amazing.

Can't believe PS5 was such a downgrade. Is embarrassing.

• Fire
Reactions: Isa

ReBurn

Gold Member
There were some really good ones, but I never used them. I liked the simplicity of the basic themes. Hopefully people who use them get what they want.

DonF

I remember getting one with the symbols and stars, that had music that sounded great on my headphones.

but thats it.

StueyDuck

Yes, they were. Tho I sometimes wonder if their removal was derived from data. As an unusual human, and a data point of 1, this is entirely anecdotal, but I would often leave the ps4 idle, just sat on the Home Screen for hours sometimes, whilst browsing my phone, happily listening to the curated background music and dynamic theme, kinda like reading a book by the fire. With the ps5, I do that way less, and feel compelled to quickly move into the Netflix app or launch a game etc, rarely leaving it idle for more than 10 mins. It’s just not well suited to background idle. Either way that will mean for Sony, “engagement” for me personally will be up as a result of scrapping dynamic themes. Do they have any data to suggest this was a broader experience I wonder? And that helped inform their decision to get rid of them?
I'm sure there's some element of that with data they have.

But I imagine it's mostly because they wanted the UI and OS to be as little bloated as possible.

It could also easily just be badly designed and initially they weren't thinking about themes when creating the OS, then by the time it came around to implement it they realized they had done something that would make adding themes a fecking nightmare.

Games change their backgrounds now when hovered over and some even do it based on how far you are in the title. I wouldn't be surprised If there some logic deep in the OS that allows the dynamic UI that you really can't fuck with because it barely works as is and can break everything when changed

Last edited:

mdkirby

I'm sure there's some element of that with data they have.

But I imagine it's mostly because they wanted the UI and OS to be as little bloated as possible.

It could also easily just be badly designed and initially they weren't thinking about themes when creating the OS, then by the time it came around to implement it they realized they had done something that would make adding themes a fecking nightmare.

Games change their backgrounds now when hovered over and some even do it based on how far you are in the title. I wouldn't be surprised If there some logic deep in the OS that allows the dynamic UI that you really can't fuck with because it barely works as is and can break everything when changed
Oh for sure, plenty of possible reasons. Just something that occurred to me based on my own behaviour. I’m probably not a good example for the actions of the masses tho, my brain tends to do things a bit weirdly 🤣

I did this too with the PS4 menu music. I'd get home drunk after a work night out and slump at my desk waiting to feel sleepy to that music. Great memories, already nearly a decade old!

The PS5 menu music ain't that bad though. It's just a bit sterile. The PS4 blue is so warm and inviting.

Last edited:

Nvzman

PS3 was such a great media center device, having CD, DVD, Blu-Ray, and USB mp4 playback that you could even save to the HDD was so cool and its a shame Sony dropped nearly everything with the PS4 and PS5. The custom themes were cool as hell on PS3 too, PS4's were neat, there is a PS2-themed one thats pretty awesome but otherwise I always preferred the PS3 themes.

mdkirby

I did this too with the PS4 menu music. I'd get home drunk after a work night out and slump at my desk waiting to feel sleepy to that music. Great memories, already nearly a decade old!

The PS5 menu music ain't that bad though. It's just a bit sterile. The PS4 blue is so warm and inviting.
For sure, I hope the audio engineer on those was paid well :messenger_tears_of_joy:.

Aside from the menu, I spent SO many hours just idly listening/watching the dynamic themes for:

Journey,
Everybody's Gone to the Rapture,
Firewatch
Last of Us
and a handful of others I can't recall.

StereoVsn

PS3 was such a great media center device, having CD, DVD, Blu-Ray, and USB mp4 playback that you could even save to the HDD was so cool and its a shame Sony dropped nearly everything with the PS4 and PS5. The custom themes were cool as hell on PS3 too, PS4's were neat, there is a PS2-themed one thats pretty awesome but otherwise I always preferred the PS3 themes.
PS3 could also act as media server or use a windows PC media server. It was a great machine from multi media perspective.

And I do miss themes on PS5. Still have my PS3 hooked up but don’t have PS4 anymore since there was little reason to keep it and my PS4 Pro sounded like a jet taking off.

Mossybrew

I hear you OP. I had several that I rotated through to give different vibes. I think my favorite was the Firewatch one that changed with time of day. Really miss this feature on PS5.

I didn't care about themes at all on 3DS, when they were a thing. But I would totally love to do with Switch 2, if they're like $1 and they move instead of being static. Like the Series X themes. Those are cool, I love staring at them.

Top Bottom