• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Boss Jim Ryan Admits Starfield Xbox Exclusivity Is Not 'Anti-Competitive'

Draugoth

Gold Member
caixas-do-xbox-series-ja-comecam-a-vir-com-artes-de-starfield-084289.jpg

PlayStation boss Jim Ryan has admitted he does not view Starfield's Xbox console exclusivity as "anti-competitive".

During the ongoing trial between Microsoft and the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the head of PlayStation took the stand. During his testimony, he was asked if anything was wrong with Arkane Studios' Redfall and Bestheda Game Studios' Starfield being console exclusives on Xbox.

I don't like it, but I have fundamentally no quarrel with it and i dont view it as anti-competitive.

TxKnight7

I am laughing too hard now when we say sony made many deals to make games like final fantasy ,ghostwire deathloop KOTOR Remake, Silent Hill 2, Forspoken, Ni Oh
Project eve ,SFV a Known ip ,Rise of Ronin etc etc exclusive to their platform and cancel xbox ver of some of the games here it is fine because its sony, even buying a publisher Psygnosis), they had many multiplatform games before , wipeout 3 and wipeout fusion was made exclusive to Sony platforms.
Now when we say microsoft has the right to make New ip's from bethesda etc exclusive to their platform from a company they own and they help and fund their projects" it is wrong and a big problem microsoft should stop!"

some of them said oh"( we know damn well ms made 360 what it was by 3rd party )".

did they even know sony was doing this since Ps1 and before xbox was even a thing?! i didn't know xbox was released before playstation.

Chris Deering
We targeted Microsoft from day one -- we were ruthless," he says. "I'm not of this mentality anymore, but at the time it was life or death as far as I was concerned. We had this expression in our business meetings: 'Kill them right at the start and take no prisoners
Chris Deering, who was Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) Europe's boss at the time.
says that the company still wanted to embrace a broad audience, including more mature demographics. One of his core focuses was -- as with the original PlayStation -- trying to nail down as many third-party exclusives as possible.

MarkMe2525

I'm surprised we don't have a thread discussing the email revealing the fact that Jim Ryan never actually believed MS intended to pull CoD from Playstation.

Edit: I don't actually condone such a thread (as i believe we should have one FTC case mega thread) but everyday we have four "Phil said" threads posted.

Last edited:

KaiserBecks

His hearing is interesting. I wonder how a person with such bad memory can have a leading position in a company this big. Who am I kidding
Plead The Fifth Dave Chappelle GIF
Plead The Fifth R Kelly GIF

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I am laughing too hard now when we say sony made many deals to make games like final fantasy ,ghostwire deathloop KOTOR Remake, Silent Hill 2, Forspoken, Ni Oh
Project eve ,SFV a Known ip ,Rise of Ronin etc etc exclusive to their platform and cancel xbox ver of some of the games here it is fine because its sony, even buying a publisher Psygnosis), they had many multiplatform games before , wipeout 3 and wipeout fusion was made exclusive to Sony platforms.
Now when we say microsoft has the right to make New ip's from bethesda etc exclusive to their platform from a company they own and they help and fund their projects" it is wrong and a big problem microsoft should stop!"

some of them said oh"( we know damn well ms made 360 what it was by 3rd party )".

did they even know sony was doing this since Ps1 and before xbox was even a thing?! i didn't know xbox was released before playstation.

Chris Deering
We targeted Microsoft from day one -- we were ruthless," he says. "I'm not of this mentality anymore, but at the time it was life or death as far as I was concerned. We had this expression in our business meetings: 'Kill them right at the start and take no prisoners
Chris Deering, who was Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) Europe's boss at the time.
says that the company still wanted to embrace a broad audience, including more mature demographics. One of his core focuses was -- as with the original PlayStation -- trying to nail down as many third-party exclusives as possible.
ojylIgZ.jpg

Banjo64

cumsessed
Not sure this is an admittance or just a statement of fact.

I myself thought that XGS combined with Zenimax was more than enough to compete with Sony. Fallout and TES are bigger than any Sony franchise.

M$ aren’t happy to just compete with Sony though. That’s not what they want.

ZoukGalaxy

Well, that's really fairplay to admit it since Playstation has a lot of exclusives, that's the rules of the game.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

Chris Deering
Why do people like you just come and say nonsense and think you can get away with it. HAs it, not occurred to you that there are generally very knowledgeable people on this forum that would call you out on it?

First ff, when Sony acquired Psygnosis in 1993, they did so for $20M. Inflation-adjusted, that's $40M in today's money.

But you know the part no one ever seems to mention, even though sony acquired them, they left them to be independent, the games they published, still were on other platforms. Furthermore, do you know that the platforms they made games for were practically dead by the time PlayStation came along? (Amiga)...

ANyways... Psygnosis... is nothing like Bethesda. Money wise, and or IP wise.

Vognerful

That e-mail was dated 2 days after the acquisition announcement. At the time yeah things probably did look fine but Phil has been pretty wishy washy throughout which seems to validate his later concerns.
HE iterated again in the FTC session that he doesn't think Microsoft will remove CoD from playstation, and in fact that he would do it if it was him (make it exclusive) and that he believes Microsoft would honor any contractual agreement will be made between them.

Unfortunately, we couldn't hear exactly what are the terms that was made at the end and was rejected (i believe in august 2022?) by Sony. there is a hint that other future titles (excluding CoD) maybe was not part of the deal. Jim mentioned overwatch 2, which in a weird way released before the acquisition, and the MSFT lawyer questioned him that in earlier instances based on an email he didn't see a problem with it.

Moneal

Chris Deering
Nioh is a Sony owned IP. Its why the dev team made wo long. Its the same as Demon Souls and Dark Souls.

Top Bottom