• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 5 VR is going to show what the VR medium is truly capable of

AphexTwunt

Pretty certain that MS will just start to support the PC headsets on Xbox and bring across the software - that would be in-keeping with the platform-agnostic approach they're taking - locking a headset to a particular console is always going to be a bad idea for the consumers and developers especially towards the end of a generation

Let's not sleep on the importance of larger FOV. 110 just isn't enough. For me, above graphics, FOV is an immersion killer. If they can make it over 200 or something, that would be game changing. Until we get there, it just isn't as impactful. I have Rift S, Cosmos, PSVR, Quest, Oculus Go, and a Rift. Have used the Vive many times. They all collect dust pretty well. (did sell a few of them)

Wonko_C

Let's not sleep on the importance of larger FOV. 110 just isn't enough. For me, above graphics, FOV is an immersion killer. If they can make it over 200 or something, that would be game changing. Until we get there, it just isn't as impactful. I have Rift S, Cosmos, PSVR, Quest, Oculus Go, and a Rift. Have used the Vive many times. They all collect dust pretty well. (did sell a few of them)
100% this. I have the feeling it's the low FOV that makes me not feel heights at all like other people do. In flying games it doesn't look like I'm hundreds of meters above the ground. I can freefall and not feel anything, even in Mirror's Edge I felt my stomach turning anytime Faith fell to her death, and that was playing on a TV!

Last edited:

kyliethicc

My assumption is that Sony's new VR setup, its entire setup, will be PC compatible. There's no way Jim doesn't jump on that opportunity to move the new headset into the PC market. It will definitely be fully optimised for PS5 first and foremost, but everything is indicating that it'll be an adaptable piece of kit: USB-C plugin, inside-out tracking (most likely), wirelessly connectable controllers, etc.
Could be, but I'd bet its more likely that they just want all their PS5 VR games to be easily ported to PC. The hardware could work with a PC, maybe, but its less likely. I'm not sure how many PC GPUs would have the sufficient USB-C port (thats maybe customized on PS5) to drive the PSVR2 headset.

The bigger issue for Sony will be justifying large budgets for PS5 VR games. Putting those games on PC VR to increase sales could be their solution for that. Maybe not every single VR game will go to PC too, but I could see them porting most.

Keeping the hardware itself just an accessory for their console while putting most/all their games on every VR headset possible seems the simpler, more likely scenario.

Tiamat2san

I tried PSVR1, it was too pixelated and graphics were often very low in quality.

If the resolution is good enough, I will buy it this time.

chasimus

Could be, but I'd bet its more likely that they just want all their PS5 VR games to be easily ported to PC. The hardware could work with a PC, maybe, but its less likely. I'm not sure how many PC GPUs would have the sufficient USB-C port (thats maybe customized on PS5) to drive the PSVR2 headset.

The bigger issue for Sony will be justifying large budgets for PS5 VR games. Putting those games on PC VR to increase sales could be their solution for that. Maybe not every single VR game will go to PC too, but I could see them porting most.

Keeping the hardware itself just an accessory for their console while putting most/all their games on every VR headset possible seems the simpler, more likely scenario.
I guess I never really thought of the USB-C to GPU issue. My laptop has that feature, just figured most would on PC too. Maybe they'll have a USB-C to HDMI add-on haha, if that's even a thing. How does the Quest 2 do it then? That's the most used VR headset on Steam right now and it has to (officially) connect via USB-C

iQuasarLV

It is a nice dream to think Sony can pull it off.

However.

Historically speaking, when has Sony ever pulled off an accessory designed by themselves that absolutely became a must-have mainstream killer?

The only time Sony was recognized for a paradigm shift in the console market was when the PS1 launched with a CD drive.

Tygeezy

Higher FOV is most definitely welcome. It's hyperbole in my opinion to say currently it's not good enough though or unplayable. The motion blur we are subjected to on televisions also isn't "good enough" but it's not stopping people from enjoying them. Only in the realm of VR is not good enough equating to people not willing to use it when for the first time the tech is both accessible due to affordability and is good enough technology wise to enjoy it.

Tygeezy

I guess I never really thought of the USB-C to GPU issue. My laptop has that feature, just figured most would on PC too. Maybe they'll have a USB-C to HDMI add-on haha, if that's even a thing. How does the Quest 2 do it then? That's the most used VR headset on Steam right now and it has to (officially) connect via USB-C
The quest 2 uses USB C, but it doesn't connect to HDMI. h.264 compression is used to stream it to the headset (like blu ray, or nvidia shield game streaming). USB has enough bandwidth when h.264 or HEVC compression is used. They could do this on ps5 since there is usb c in the front and it would open the door for wireless streaming to the headset.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Current VR displays are definitely good enough. You get better motion clarity on quest 2 lcd than you do with a crt. That doesn't mean there aren't improvements to be made, but they are definitely "good enough."
Unfortunately, they’re far away from human clarity, suffer from washed colors and don’t provide the deepest blacks. Moreover, the refresh is lacking. Moreover, there’s distortions when you get larger than 140 degrees, which is both a software and hardware issue.

Unfortunately, they’re far away from human clarity, suffer from washed colors and don’t provide the deepest blacks. Moreover, the refresh is lacking. Moreover, there’s distortions when you get larger than 140 degrees, which is both a software and hardware issue.
You can list flaws for any television that ever existed. That doesn't stop people from gaming in it. Human eyes are extremely adaptable and you don't need one to one clarity. As long as the framerate is high enough your eyes are okay with it.

Tygeezy

And modern sample and hold displays we use for movies and gaming suffers from objectively horrible motion blur and if you aren’t using oled have bad black levels, terrible contrast and inaccurate colors, but that doesn’t stop people from enjoying them

There is a lot of improvement to be made but these displays we have now are outstanding and affordable and will only improve rapidly.

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
And modern sample and hold displays we use for movies and gaming suffers from objectively horrible motion blur and if you aren’t using oled have bad black levels, terrible contrast and inaccurate colors, but that doesn’t stop people from enjoying them

There is a lot of improvement to be made but these displays we have now are outstanding and affordable and will only improve rapidly.
Of course, but all the flaws are significantly more noticeable in VR, with these panels close to your face.

Mr_Potato

Banned
I'm in for PSVR 2 if the software is there too. I don't want small games anymore, I want blockbusters, I want high budget games. DO IT SONY !

While 200 would be nice, it'd also mean that PSVR2 would need a very high resolution in order to not look pixelated. We're talking native 4Kish at the minimum. Way too high if they want to target 120 hz (which they should).

RayHell

Why does it matter whether it's official or not? The fact of the matter is you can and it's easy. Just purchase Virtual Desktop on the oculus store and away you go.
Because you're running a full fledge application on the side which is using extra resources and it's a layer of complexity that is not user friendly and add a dependency that user and Oculus doesn't have control on.

RayHell

Virtual Desktop is officially supported through the Quest App Store these days.

It's already been proven maaannnnny many many times that you don't need a cable as a good router is more than capable of providing the throughput.
False, you cannot call Oculus if your have difficulty connecting Virtual Desktop to you PC to play PCVR game. Sure it's achievable but it's clumsy solution for a mass market crowd.

Tygeezy

Nah, still waiting for that killer app.
Maybe in 10, 20 years or so.
bwcs1t3i3xo11.jpg

Romulus

PC gaming always paves the way when it comes to innovation. Consoles can't do nothing but follow.

At most Sony will come up with a device with decent tech and pricing.

Where Sony thrives is their first party studio talent. Psvr2 will never suppress the best PCVR headsets but there will undoubtedly be a slew of great VR games there you only play on psvr2, especially considering the hardware is more dev friendly now.

Top Bottom