• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 5 VR is going to show what the VR medium is truly capable of

PS5 VR headset will finally show the possibilities with VR:

- Slightly higher than PS4 Quality Visuals in VR @ 90 FPS (vs. extremely low-rez sub PS3 era visuals)
- Substantially improved Visual Fidelity for the Lenses
- Significant upgrade for the controller interface that isn't limited by PS3-era tech
- No breakout box required (tech is integrated into PS5)

Feels like the PS5 is truly designed with VR in mind and won't have nearly as many compromises as PS4 VR with fuzzy resolution and low quality visuals with a hugely outdated controller. I have a feeling that PS5 VR is going to launch Fall 2022 for $299 which hits the right price, and Team Asobi is working on an AstroBot launch title to show off the features and will be an immediate killer app for the platform.

Unlike many, I don't think the fact that it has a cord is a big deal. It makes the unit significantly cheaper, smaller, lighter, and higher quality. They can also probably create a custom adapter that supports wireless capability for a higher cost. Think back to PS VR in 2016. It brought some of the best fidelity/optics for the price point at the time. Six years later will have significant improvements.

I'm pretty excited. AstroBot and Half Life Alyx were the first big AAA titles, but VR is on the verge of really breaking out with the power of next gen consoles + the improvements in optics and control.

Last edited:
We'll have to see but after finally getting into Quest 2 a little while ago, I'd say they have their work cut out for them.

OQ2 is the gold standard of VR right now:
-It's light and comfortable,.
-The screen quality is excellent.
-It's entirely wireless (this is going to be a real challenge for PSVR2).
-Very affordable price point.

It also helps that OQ2 can operate as a standalone entertainment device, though you can connect it to a PC for the big boy games. This might be a big barrier to PSVR2 becoming mainstream if it requires a PS5 to even function.

I am sorry, but no. OQ2 and/or the Index on a high end PC show off what VR is capable of.

PSVR2 (or PS5 VR, whatever the name is) will be great. It will be a very nice step up from PSVR on a PS4/Pro, but it will not be the pinnacle of what the medium offers.

It will not come close to a Valve Index on a high end PC, probably won't match the Quest 2.

No, I am not PCMR. It's just reality. If you expect it compete with something like Half-Life: Alyx experienced on the Index running on a 3090, it will pale in comparison. That's not even the best analogy/comparison I should make, but you get what I mean.

Last edited:
We'll have to see but after finally getting into Quest 2 a little while ago, I'd say they have their work cut out for them.

It also helps that OQ2 can operate as a standalone entertainment device, though you can connect it to a PC for the big boy games. This might be a big barrier to PSVR2 becoming mainstream if it requires a PS5 to even function.
Main thing thats gonna hold back the Quest 2 is the mandated Facebook integration. Whether justified or not, gamers tend to value their anonymity, and I can see that being a hurdle they face long term. Index is going to be their main competitor in that arena though, not PSVR. Now if PSVR unlocked their tech to allow it to work on pcs without having to jurryrig a monstrosity of different tech together, they might get the edge simply due to having quality PSVR exclusives like RE7

I am sorry, but no. OQ2 and/or the Index on a high end PC show off what VR is capable of.

PSVR2 (or PS5 VR, whatever the name is) will be great. It will be a very nice step up from PSVR on a PS4/Pro, but it will not be the pinnacle of what the medium offers.

It will not come close to a Valve Index on a high end PC, probably won't match the Quest 2.

No, I am not PCMR. It's just reality. If you expect it compete with something like Half-Life: Alyx experienced on the Index running on a 3090, it will pale in comparison. That's not even the best analogy/comparison I should make, but you get what I mean.

You're misinterpreting my argument. I'm not suggesting PS5 VR will be the peak capability in terms of technical characteristics. I'm suggesting that PS5 VR will achieve a very high benchmark for the lowest total cost of entry, with the most robust lineup of (non-shovelware) games.

This is one area where VR can be more widely adopted. The options you listed require expensive headsets and expensive PCs. I also think that Sony is going to take a more PC friendly approach with PS5 VR. I believe they will sell ALL of their PS5 VR games on PC marketplaces, allow them to be compatible with a variety of headsets, and the only requirement for those folks that prefer the PC and a different headset for the vendor will be to buy the PS5 VR controllers.

So that's all I'm suggesting - Sony will be playing in both the console and PC space, giving consumers the lowest barrier to entry at a very high level of fidelity, while also supporting more headsets in the PC space given how fractured the VR market place is. I don't think Sony cares whether you buy their headset. They DO care that you buy their games. I think this is far more important for their VR initiatives than them porting over PS5 console games to PC, and is probably one way to dramatically improve their market penetration.

So in terms of adoption I think we will see it rise substantially from where it currently sits at less than 5%. And with them supporting PC (which for VR is critical, imho), they will make money on controller sales and games.

Last edited:
I would have to see it to really believe it.
Way way way too much grey in that discussion so far. Especially as this sounds to be a long way off and we know of some incredible systems as well coming out.
But I wish them well.

I just have faith that the technology right now is getting to the point where it's *Just Right*.

In 2016 it was pretty janky, admittedly, but pretty damn awe-inspiring as well. AstroBot was the first time I had a Mario64 moment in decades, and Half Life Alyx provided that too. With Sony's developer prowess, I see them being able to flex so much more with PS5 VR and provide pretty high AAA production values that slowly but surely start piquing the interest of more mainstream consumers. Unfortunately outside of Valve they are one of the few ones that are still willing to take big risks in this space.

I can totally see MediaMolecule for instance going all in on VR at launch along with Team Asobi. I think Insomniac games is also not finished with VR and probably have a side team that will develop content for it at or near launch.

I really don't know why you think so. It seems all your points are just that it will be better than PSVR1..... well, yeah.

It will likely be outdated before it's even released, and if not then it WILL be outdated shortly after. Just look at how massively outdated PSVR is right now. It's only marginally better than the DK2.

Literally THE FIRST piece of info we got about PSVR2 was that it would still be wired. Not an encouraging sign. It turns out you don't even need anything crazy or expensive to do wireless VR. Literally a decent Wifi router will do.

Last edited:
I really don't know why you think so. It seems all your points are just that it will be better than PSVR1..... well, yeah.

It will likely be outdated before it's even released, and if not then it WILL be outdated shortly after. Just look at how massively outdated PSVR is right now. It's only marginally better than the DK2.

Literally THE FIRST piece of info we got about PSVR2 was that it would still be wired. Not an encouraging sign.

Please read all of my posts. PSVR at the time of launch was extremely competitive. But as you said, a lot changes in 6 years time when PS5 VR will release. Do you think it won't be competitive, especially given the cost? Of course it will

How does that work when the PS5, without taking into account the PSVR2 headset is already more expensive than the Quest2, which doesn't require anything else?

Quest 2 has PS5 hardware visuals powering it? No...it needs to be linked to a high end PC. That's kind of my point.

And Quest 2 will be 2 years old by the time PS5 VR comes out. I expect improvements in 2 years

Last edited:
No, but the writing is on the wall IMHO.

For something as currently niche as VR is, and with so many third party headsets in the market, the only way to become a dominant software player is to be a bit more platform agnostic.
If they do go that route it will be a game changer, but I have my doubts they're gonna do it. They have been historically slow to support using their products with pc hardware. Them allowing some of their ps4 exclusives to release on PC feels like more of a marketing push to get more players invested in their franchises and hook them into buying PS5s than a genuine attempt to loosen those archaic restrictions. Hope I'm proven wrong, but realistically I wouldn't hold my breath.

CamHostage

Main thing thats gonna hold back the Quest 2 is the mandated Facebook integration. Whether justified or not, gamers tend to value their anonymity, and I can see that being a hurdle they face long term.

Part of Quest 2's success is that it isn't trying to sell to us jaded, scowling, neck-bearded gamers. It's selling to anybody who likes fun experiences and crazy party toys. Those people are on Facebook.

Oculus will have a harder time holding onto those casual customers, though, after they wear it a few times and then drift back to their phones, while PlayStation has a better chance of getting gamers to put on a helmet for the newest war game, but PS won't have it that easy either. Gamers tend to value their familiar buttons and joysticks and TVs too, and the hurdle for Sony is getting a Call of Duty gamer to not tell them to fuck off with their newest Waggle Goggles...

Please read all of my posts. PSVR at the time of launch was extremely competitive. But as you said, a lot changes in 6 years time when PS5 VR will release. Do you think it won't be competitive, especially given the cost? Of course it will

Will it be competitive? Depends on how you gauge that.

PSVR released in Oct 2016 and it's replacement probably won't be out until Oct 2022. That's just way too long.

What do you think PSVR2 will bring to the table? I think the best case scenario would be if it's not outdated but actually does something that's more advanced than anything in the PC space and forces other headsets to step up to compete.

Not trying to be so negative because I really do like VR. It's just my opinion that consoles and VR are not a good match.

Would love to be proven wrong with PSVR2.

onesvenus

Quest 2 has PS5 hardware visuals powering it? No...it needs to be linked to a high end PC. That's kind of my point.

And Quest 2 will be 2 years old by the time PS5 VR comes out. I expect improvements in 2 years
Your opening posts says to expect PS4 level visuals so no PS5 visuals for PSVR2 either.
I'd argue that standalone Quest2 has PS4 level graphics, except for the really high-end PS4 stuff.
But that's a moot point, there are numerous studies showing that perception benefits more from better haptics and sound cues than from visual fidelity.
Let's see how those are in PSVR2 but I don't expect anything more than what PSVR is: a headset that was almost obsolete when it launched, and with only a handful of games taking proper advantage of it

Will it be competitive? Depends on how you gauge that.

PSVR released in Oct 2016 and it's replacement probably won't be out until Oct 2022. That's just way too long.

What do you think PSVR2 will bring to the table? I think the best case scenario would be if it's not outdated but actually does something that's more advanced than anything in the PC space and forces other headsets to step up to compete.

Not trying to be so negative because I really do like VR. It's just my opinion that consoles and VR are not a good match.

Would love to be proven wrong with PSVR2.

I think the controller will be a game changer and more importantly the software.

I think headsets are going to be a bit of a commodity. What will be more important is software. And I truly think Sony will release their controller and software on both PS5 and PC.

Your opening posts says to expect PS4 level visuals so no PS5 visuals for PSVR2 either.
I'd argue that standalone Quest2 has PS4 level graphics, except for the really high-end PS4 stuff.
But that's a moot point, there are numerous studies showing that perception benefits more from better haptics and sound cues than from visual fidelity.
Let's see how those are in PSVR2 but I don't expect anything more than what PSVR is: a headset that was almost obsolete when it launched, and with only a handful of games taking proper advantage of it

stand-alone quest2 is nowhere close. The most important thing for VR won’t be the headset, they will all be “good enough”. The most important feature in 2022 will be software quality, interface, and barriers to entry

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
PS5 VR headset will finally show the possibilities with VR:

- Slightly higher than PS4 Quality Visuals in VR @ 90 FPS (vs. extremely low-rez sub PS3 era visuals)
- Substantially improved Visual Fidelity for the Lenses
- Significant upgrade for the controller interface that isn't limited by PS3-era tech
- No breakout box required (tech is integrated into PS5)

Feels like the PS5 is truly designed with VR in mind and won't have nearly as many compromises as PS4 VR with fuzzy resolution and low quality visuals with a hugely outdated controller. I have a feeling that PS5 VR is going to launch Fall 2022 for $299 which hits the right price, and Team Asobi is working on an AstroBot launch title to show off the features and will be an immediate killer app for the platform.

Unlike many, I don't think the fact that it has a cord is a big deal. It makes the unit significantly cheaper, smaller, lighter, and higher quality. They can also probably create a custom adapter that supports wireless capability for a higher cost. Think back to PS VR in 2016. It brought some of the best fidelity/optics for the price point at the time. Six years later will have significant improvements.

I'm pretty excited. AstroBot and Half Life Alyx were the first big AAA titles, but VR is on the verge of really breaking out with the power of next gen consoles + the improvements in optics and control.
Dont forget the mesh shaders/primitive shaders performance boosts. Looking at how well those mesh shader benchmarks perform on even AMD cards, (1700% boost, over 500 more fps) I think you will get better quality visuals than PS4 if the devs design their games from the ground up to take advantage of primitive shaders.

i love the tech behind PS VR and I truly believe its the future but i want to throw up every time the character moves in Blood and Truth or when i drive a car in Driveclub vr. i just cant do it. I think if they can sort that out somehow we are gold.

this thing will need software support though. PS VR was a niche product but sony needs to take it seriously now that the tech has caught up. they need to invest hundreds of millions into new AAA studios for this before Apple or Facebook take over and create their shitty version of Ready Player One. Sony needs to lead the way.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I think they key will be resolution, until we hit 4k per eye, its not really much different than pc vr right now. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my quest 2, but it needs oled, wider fov, and higher resolution to take a leap.

Also a wildcard, Maybe some sort of form factor making it lighter and more comfortable, almost like glasses would go a long way.

onesvenus

The most important feature in 2022 will be software quality, interface, and barriers to entry
Again, how will PSVR2, needing a PS5, have a lower barrier to entry than OQ2?
And seeing the support PSVR had, why do you talk about software quality? It was not there on PSVR except for a couple of games.
I can see the point about interface with the haptic feedback tech but let's see how they do finger tracking and all that before

Again, how will PSVR2, needing a PS5, have a lower barrier to entry than OQ2?
And seeing the support PSVR had, why do you talk about software quality? It was not there on PSVR except for a couple of games.
I can see the point about interface with the haptic feedback tech but let's see how they do finger tracking and all that before

OQ2 requires an extensive PC to run competitive games

Dont forget the mesh shaders/primitive shaders performance boosts. Looking at how well those mesh shader benchmarks perform on even AMD cards, (1700% boost, over 500 more fps) I think you will get better quality visuals than PS4 if the devs design their games from the ground up to take advantage of primitive shaders.

i love the tech behind PS VR and I truly believe its the future but i want to throw up every time the character moves in Blood and Truth or when i drive a car in Driveclub vr. i just cant do it. I think if they can sort that out somehow we are gold.

this thing will need software support though. PS VR was a niche product but sony needs to take it seriously now that the tech has caught up. they need to invest hundreds of millions into new AAA studios for this before Apple or Facebook take over and create their shitty version of Ready Player One. Sony needs to lead the way.

Agreed, they need a big studio push. I think if they go platform agnostic on PC, they will be better able to justify spending some big money on projects.

If I were Jim Ryan I would have MediaMolecule become a VR studio along with Team Asobi.

I would then have every major AAA studio create a smaller B team to support VR projects. That means we get a Naughty Dog, SSM, Guerrilla, Iand Sucker Punch VR title

they don’t need to be 30 hour blockbusters. 10 hour experiences that are highly immersive and don’t require as many huge production values

Regardless of what anyone says right now, VR absolutely is the future of entertainment and they need to stay on top of it and continue to grow adoption or they will get left behind. It’s only a matter of time before VR becomes the next big thing in gaming, it just needs the combination of hardware and software to drive adoption

Last edited:

kyliethicc

I doubt the PSVR 2 headset will work with a PC. It will likely just be a PS5 accessory.

However, I do think Sony will make most/all their VR games run on both PS5 and PC. So users with PC VR rigs can buy their games.

Like if Sony want to make a AAA VR game, they will want it on as many VR platforms as possible.

My hope is they can have PS4 fidelity games running in VR on PS5. If I can play (full game) GT Sport in VR, I'll buy.

The one USB-C cable setup is good enough for me. Simple. But I'm curious what controller(s) they will use.

Last edited:
PC VR > PSVR by number of software sales and hardware. Quest 2 is the gold standard of VR industry.

f5047e01-9e93-4abb-b031-72d9fd9d61e1.png

easset_upload_file11174_1712898_e.png

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Regardless of what anyone says right now, VR absolutely is the future of entertainment and they need to stay on top of it and continue to grow adoption or they will get left behind. It’s only a matter of time before VR becomes the next big thing in gaming, it just needs the combination of hardware and software to drive adoption
I thought Ready Player One laid out the perfect formula for these companies to follow. A shared universe with CG quality visuals that dont need to be photorealistic while offering some of that escapism we only get in movies. We might not get there until 2040 but they need to invest today to have studios that can create new experiences within that world every month if not every week.

People are going to spend their entire lives in there and you will need content like Netflix needs content right now. whoever gets it right will basically have a monopoly on video games in the future.

I think Nintendo going handheld only forcing all their studios to develop for a handheld was a stroke of genius (bad for fans of AAA gaming, but good for business). I think Sony will definitely need ND, SSM and Sucker Punch directors and designers releasing AAA goty caliber games on it. It's time to invest in first party studios in a way only EA and Ubisoft currently do.

PC VR > PSVR by number of software sales and hardware. Quest 2 is the gold standard of VR industry.

f5047e01-9e93-4abb-b031-72d9fd9d61e1.png

easset_upload_file11174_1712898_e.png
That top graphic is massively flawed for the point you're making. Of course a product that only entered the market this year is going to see massive q4 2020 sales compared to a product that entered the market 5 years ago. Like I get the aversion to using Sales to Date to compare the 2, because obviously that would skew in PSVR's favor by virtue of being on the market longer, but at the very least you could compare sales of their first quarter or two on the market.

Like I dont even necessarily disagree with the point you're making, but using that graph the way you are is some seriously misleading shit.

Last edited:
IF the next PSVR is corded then I'll skip it and just stay with the original. Tripping over the cord and pulling the breakoutbox across the floor was bad enough , don't intend on pulling the PS5 off the shelf.

TLZ

Banned
Hopefully the next one is child friendly. There’s no point in buying one if my kids would constantly hound me to play too.
I agree. They keep wanting to use it but I keep telling them they have to be 12 or older. Feel sad for them.

mango drank

Whatever they do with it, I hope they make it as comfortable as the PSVR1. I saw someone in another VR thread say the halo strap design was outdated vs the padded-goggles-mashed-up-against-your-cheekbones design, and I thought, what's this guy smoking?

Even if Sony doesn't do a halo strap again, I hope they do something super comfortable. And don't hand the industrial design over to whoever designed the PS5 itself. 🤢

Whatever they do with it, I hope they make it as comfortable as the PSVR1. I saw someone in another VR thread say the halo strap design was outdated vs the padded-goggles-mashed-up-against-your-cheekbones design, and I thought, what's this guy smoking?

Even if Sony doesn't do a halo strap again, I hope they do something super comfortable. And don't hand the industrial design over to whoever designed the PS5 itself. 🤢

check out their recent patents

This patent also says PS5 VR will work on a PC, but ergonomics are hugely important to Sony

I think the controller will be a game changer and more importantly the software.

I think headsets are going to be a bit of a commodity. What will be more important is software. And I truly think Sony will release their controller and software on both PS5 and PC.

What controller innovations do you think Sony can bring to VR?

I don't think headsets are going to be a commodity quite so soon. There's a LONG way to go before we have light weight ultra comfortable, high FOV with retina like resolutions.

And even if they do make their VR headset PC compatible, there will only be a small timeframe where that will make any sense. Then better and cheaper headsets will become available.

Madjako

Whatever that psvr2 is, I'll buy it on day one. I just love my psvr and still play vr games a lot. I also use it to watch movies (ever If the resolution is clearly not great).
Basically the psvr2 will be a much better vr headset than the first one and that is enough for me.

QQ2 solved the motion sickness problem the majority of people suffer from?

QQ2 solved the motion sickness problem the majority of people suffer from?
I can't speak for others but it definitely did for me. I tried a friend's PSVR a couple of years back and it made me nauseous when playing certain games. I didn't even know I could feel motion sickness until then.

I have yet to feel any kind of sickness or discomfort with OQ2, and I've tried a bunch of different rapid moving VR experiences on it. OQ2 made me a believer in VR when previously I was a skeptic.

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
I can't see it giving a better experience than an index tbh.

Main thing thats gonna hold back the Quest 2 is the mandated Facebook integration. Whether justified or not, gamers tend to value their anonymity, and I can see that being a hurdle they face long term.
This one's interesting to me. I made a burner facebook account and I use it to play on OQ2 without any problems. Really isn't any different from creating a new account on any platform.

That being said there is no flippin way I'm letting Mark Zuckerberg publicise my VR (mis)adventures on my main FB account.

mrmeh

Should obviously be better than the last gen but it's sandwiched in between the Oculus Quest 2 simplicity and PC's high end wow. Difficult position as it will struggle to compete with both ends.

Maybe a cheaper way to get some of the more demanding titles(i.e not on Quest) like Alyx and Starwars Squadrons? But it does seem at the moment its ease of use that's driving the market i.e Quest

perkelson

This might be a big barrier to PSVR2 becoming mainstream if it requires a PS5 to even function.

OC2 is still well behind PSVR 5MLN sales. When it comes to mainstream there is only PSVR with now OC2 still having good distance toward it.

But yeah OC is effectively new console and headset. I think this recent no show announcement of PSVR2 is kind of answer to that. They saw OC2 sales and mindshare and they quickly send message to fans "don't buy it wait for PSVR2" kind of thing.

Main thing thats gonna hold back the Quest 2 is the mandated Facebook integration. Whether justified or not, gamers tend to value their anonymity

Let me laugh harder.jpg. For mainstream consumers facebook integration is a pro not a cons. And no gamers don't care about their privacy. That only like 0.00000000000000000001% of people who play games that do.

Last edited:

mrmeh

Main thing thats gonna hold back the Quest 2 is the mandated Facebook integration. Whether justified or not, gamers tend to value their anonymity, and I can see that being a hurdle they face long term. Index is going to be their main competitor in that arena though, not PSVR. Now if PSVR unlocked their tech to allow it to work on pcs without having to jurryrig a monstrosity of different tech together, they might get the edge simply due to having quality PSVR exclusives like RE7

'Gamers' ? Assuming you mean the hardcore - Quest is aimed at the mass market which is why its doing so well, the FB thing like another poster said is not an issue.

This one's interesting to me. I made a burner facebook account and I use it to play on OQ2 without any problems. Really isn't any different from creating a new account on any platform.

That being said there is no flippin way I'm letting Mark Zuckerberg publicise my VR (mis)adventures on my main FB account.
So while I'm 99% sure nothing will ever come of it, using fake info for a Facebook account is against their terms of service and can be used to justify account termination. If that happens, your Occulus library is gone permanently.

Like I said, the probability of them taking action out of the blue is super low, but if someone reports it for whatever reason they may take action, and I dont like the possibility of it hanging over my head, no matter how remote.

'Gamers' ? Assuming you mean the hardcore - Quest is aimed at the mass market which is why its doing so well, the FB thing like another poster said is not an issue.
The problem is the hard-core market is going to be your lifeblood until passive VR entertainment comes around. Until we get something like movies made using 360° cameras, the more passive Quest market will treat the thing like a novelty. Sure it'll be fun to break out every now and again, but it will eventually be seen as a fad, and put away like casual audience did to the wii before it. To truly make consistent inroads in those demographics, you need something people don't need to be active participants in.

Last edited:

mrmeh

OC2 is still well behind PSVR 5MLN sales. When it comes to mainstream there is only PSVR with now OC2 still having good distance toward it.

But yeah OC is effectively new console and headset. I think this recent no show announcement of PSVR2 is kind of answer to that. They saw OC2 sales and mindshare and they quickly send message to fans "don't buy it wait for PSVR2" kind of thing.

The real indication will be specific PSVR games bought and time spent playing them, one of my friends got it and tried it a few times then nothing. How many people regularly play PSVR games etc. Maybe it was the faf, quite surprised that PSVR2 is not wireless.

Top Bottom