• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 owners prefer boxed games to downloads

dDoc

They know they have you by the balls

No they don't.

Just don't buy any games during this "sale" and buy physical from elsewhere. When Sony starts comparing the data from previous sales to the new shitty sales they should realise the figures changed. Hopefully for the worse for Sony :D

KAL2006

Banned
To be fair it's good others pay digital, we need people to supoor the industry, if everyone bought used games like me and resold games publishers wouldn't make money. We need you digital purchasers to support the industry for cheap people like me. I'm just hoping it just doesn't get to a stage where they abandon physical for the next generation but like I said before if that happens I'll move to piracy with PC gaming.

To be fair it's good others pay digital, we need people to supoor the industry, if everyone bought used games like me and resold games publishers wouldn't make money. We need you digital purchasers to support the industry for cheap people like me. I'm just hoping it just doesn't get to a stage where they abandon physical for the next generation but like I said before if that happens I'll move to piracy with PC gaming.
So you want entertainment but never pay anyone for it. Well done you.

Azurro

Banned

So wait, you get angry that people imply you are broke when they don't want to quickly sell their games for 25 bucks soon after completing them, yet effectively call people that buy digital idiots and then admit you'll pirate stuff. That's called being a parasite mate.

Last edited:
4A9Acji.jpg

Nice to have a choice. Didn't know they included stickers.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
Boxed for new games.

Digital for older game bargain bin sales.

If I'm paying £40 or more for any game I'm getting the physical copy.

KiteGr

Always buy boxed.
Digital have 0 collection value, with even your ownership of them being a sensitive topic.
Even if I had no issues with Digital, the PlayStation store and library is a nightmare to manage compared to Steam, giving you limiting access to your library depending on the console and not even notify you when products you are interested are on discount.

KAL2006

Banned
So wait, you get angry that people imply you are broke when they don't want to quickly sell their games for 25 bucks soon after completing them, yet effectively call people that buy digital idiots and then admit you'll pirate stuff. That's called being a parasite mate.

I was just messing, piracy is not just illegal but really inconvenient on PC for many games to not have auto updates for patches and online play. Most likely scenario if PS6 didn't have a physical option I'd fully transition to PC gaming, buying games in Steam Sales, key resellers etc.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
This is the same price as digital elden ring or cheaper where I live.
You get a fabric patch, stickers, poster, some art. nice.
anyone knows if the game box will be this shitty black or normal ps5 box ?
The steam version IS cheaper from cdkeys but I might get it for ps5.

More on the topic:
Physical games of the pas... Fat instructions with added lore, maps, promotional items, stickers.
In the past like 360 and before, games often came with this stuff. Now it's more barren but I still appreciate having the sleek, smallery shiny box with artwork and a disc.

6DNQPkg.jpg

MjsmxWc.jpg

s97z9kS.jpg
yw9oMFF.jpg

iS7gVT1.jpg

btw. Notice how bigger the 360 maps were due to bigger boxes. but I still like smaller, ps4/5 boxes.
HD7zs3m.jpg

NvlThUt.jpg

KAL2006

Banned
Lol so Guardians and Deathloop are in retail stores on better sales than Digital. This is another example of why physical is superior. But like I said we need you suckers to buy digital day 1 to support the developers while I can buy used or new physical sales where games is all patched up by you early beta testers who pay more. Then I can resell game when I'm done. If everyone was like me these games wouldn't be made with the budgets they are now so thank you.

ParaSeoul

This is the same price as digital elden ring or cheaper where I live.
You get a fabric patch, stickers, poster, some art. nice.
anyone knows if the game box will be this shitty black or normal ps5 box ?
The steam version IS cheaper from cdkeys but I might get it for ps5.

More on the topic:
Physical games of the pas... Fat instructions with added lore, maps, promotional items, stickers.
In the past like 360 and before, games often came with this stuff. Now it's more barren but I still appreciate having the sleek, smallery shiny box with artwork and a disc.

6DNQPkg.jpg

MjsmxWc.jpg

s97z9kS.jpg
yw9oMFF.jpg

iS7gVT1.jpg

btw. Notice how bigger the 360 maps were due to bigger boxes. but I still like smaller, ps4/5 boxes.
HD7zs3m.jpg

NvlThUt.jpg
Unrelated to this thread but how does Bloodborne look on OLED?

dano1

A Sheep

71% of PlayStation Games Sold in Q1 FY2021 Were Digital Download​

We’ll things have changed fairly quickly. It was 49% at launch. And it’s probably over 80% now

Topher

Gold Member

71% of PlayStation Games Sold in Q1 FY2021 Were Digital Download​

We’ll things have changed fairly quickly. It was 49% at launch. And it’s probably over 80% now

That 71% is counting PS4 and PS5 games combined. This report is just counting PS5 games.

If I want something day one, I'll go digital. If there is something I can wait on then I'll wait for a sale on PSN, couple of £ here and there isn't a big deal. I probably make those savings back on PC. I tend to only buy physical if there is a really good deal and I see it by chance.

dano1

A Sheep
That 71% is counting PS4 and PS5 games combined. This report is just counting PS5 games.
Very true. Thing
That is true but most people when they get a new console they pick up 2 or 3 games at launch then things turn digital after awhile. That also means PS4 is over 80% Like it or not it’s the future.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Very true. Thing

That is true but most people when they get a new console the pick up 2 or 3 games at launch then things turn digital after awhile. That also means PS4 is over 80% Like it or not it’s the future.

I wouldn't be surprised if next gen is all digital, but I thought that would be the case this gen as well. There is still demand for physical, for better or worse. Personally I hope physical stays as long as possible. I'm for more options, not less.

dano1

A Sheep
I wouldn't be surprised if next gen is all digital, but I thought that would be the case this gen as well. There is still demand for physical, for better or worse. Personally I hope physical stays as long as possible. I'm for more options, not less.
More options are better but personally I would have rather had a extra TB of memory instead of a drive. And the reason I prefer digital over physical besides convenience is when the drive finally goes away those discs are useless on the new console. Playing my digital PS4 games on my PS5 is so nice. Plus a bunch have PS5 upgrades.

Unless you enjoy getting shafted by PS store prices it's a no brainer to go physical for most titles, in the UK at least.

I mean not even sale prices are good for newer games on PS right now. Returnal is like £54 in the 'Black Friday sale'. That is more than I've paid for every new or newer game I've bought physical on the PS5 bar Demon's Souls at launch.

I feel sorry for people who went digital lol.

skit_data

I’m the odd one out then.
Haven’t bought a physical game since PS4 launch. My whole library is digital.

That’s why I bought a PS5 DE, a lot of bang for the buck. I have a PS3 for my blurays anyway.

Edit: Strangely enough I’m one of those wierdos that collect vinyls and blurays but I have no interest in collecting physical games.

Last edited:

FrankWza

Gold Member
That argument doesn't really hold up right now when it's literally impossible to go into a store and buy a PS5.
It’s a gesture of support. You will need them eventually even if supplies are limited for now. Besides, retailer bundles and lines are the best way to avoid scalpers and bots

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
i perfer digital cuz convenience. i'm not exactly the type to sell my games..... i don't think ownership is that much of a problem, as long as you have the game on your console's drive, you'll be able to play it.
Also, yeesh is playstation really that bad when it comes to digital sales? on xbox i can find a ton of games under 20 easily and they're usually critically acclaimed/unique stuff too. and don't get me started on steam sales.

Last edited:
You know I’ve seen this topic so many times, but I really think digital games should maybe be priced like $10 less than their physical versions if they really wanted people to go digital. Wasn’t that even the original argument for digital in the first place? It could be cheaper due to not needing to be published physically?

Instead that never happens and physical tends to go on sale sooner since shelf space is a scarcer resource than server space.

Either way I prefer Physical even on Xbox, but get digital when there’s good sales.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
actually, the main reason i don't sell my games is cuz i don't like the idea of having to deal with ebay and shit just so i can get a good return on my investment (also i don't own many physicals anyways)
If i could sell stuff digitally by having it on a digital used marketplace or something, that would be sweet, and i think steam should do something like that. plus digital doesn't have the disadvantages of physical where a used disc is more tattered and worn down, they're the same files just used previously
also, i hate the elitism from physical zealots. screaming at the top of your lungs about how you own your games isn't really going to change my mind on how i like the convenience. I say this cuz it's usually the physical guys on the offensive trying their hardest to crap all over digital while digital players just enjoy their games

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Convenience is big, congrats to collectors and your collections and having the ability to buy/sell though.

zcaa0g

Banned
Digital makes a lot more sense if you replay games or play games frequently enough that have replay value such as fighting, racing, sports, and multi-player focused games. If a person plays a single player only game and doesn't like to replay those games later, yeah, physical makes more sense.

Arthimura

Every game I have the option, I choose to buy a physical copy.

In my country, it's very common that physical copies are cheaper than digital ones, and they often have higher price cuts than digital copies. Some games are sold basically for free after some time.
I can lend and sell my games, and I'm not afraid of online stores being shutdown, like Nintendo is doing with the Wii U and 3DS eShop.

The only downside is having to wait for the delivery instead of playing at launch.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Digital makes a lot more sense if you replay games or play games frequently enough that have replay value such as fighting, racing, sports, and multi-player focused games. If a person plays a single player only game and doesn't like to replay those games later, yeah, physical makes more sense.
Thats not true for everyone, I replay my games multiple times and I still prefer physical copy over digital.

Korso

As a game collector I'm definitely physical whenever possible. But that is even problematic with patches and such making every game essentially digital anyways.

Top Bottom