• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 owners prefer boxed games to downloads

DrAspirino

Banned
It has not use for you maybe, but clearly there are plenty of people who see the value in owning the physical disk. Whether it is someone like me who wants to be able to sell or trade the game when done or others who want to collect games. That makes it more than a "CD key" or a "token" and the patches/updates have nothing to do with it.
I think the EULA in most games (ubisoft for example) says otherwise:

1.2 You shall not, directly or indirectly (i) sell, rent out, lease, license, distribute, market, exploit the Product or any of its parts commercially,

Reselling physical games falls into a legal gray-area that changes from country to country. Just because it's a "common" practice doesn't mean it is approved.

Last edited:

Deerock71

This is fucking stupid. Why would you want less choices? So you want me to be forced to pay the digital prices and lose the ability to sell or easily borrow to someone? Please explain the logic behind this.
tye sheridan ar GIF by Ready Player One

Dream-Knife

Banned
I'm sure price is the main factor, along with being able to resell it. Add in a bad refund policy, and uncertain digital store future and you have a perfect storm.

Although I don't think the PS4/PS5 store will go down anytime soon since it is standardized on x86.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
i can't take people seriously who buy physical games. i look forward to when consoles are all digital and you have no option but to buy digitally. the sooner MS/Sony abandon the disc drive the better.
I hope you're getting a big check. Because if you're not, you're in the wrong business.

Topher

Gold Member
I think the EULA in most games (ubisoft for example) says otherwise:

Reselling physical games falls into a legal gray-area that changes from country to country. Just because it's a "common" practice doesn't mean it is approved.

Ubisoft can put whatever they want in that license but that doesn't mean it will be enforced by a court of law. And the fact that GameStop and Amazon and others actively engage in commerce that violates that license is enough to say Ubisoft knows it isn't worth the paper it is printed on.

Rossco EZ

a few people i know from work mainly buy a psychical copy, complete the game then trade it in for credit or towards another game. then if they enjoyed a certain game or want to play again they buy the digital version when it’s on sale or something.

Kokoloko85

Ive been 95% digital since the last PS3 game I bought which was the last of us.
I think the only boxed games Ive bought since have been The Last Guardian and Infinite Warfare

ZoukGalaxy

Gold Member
I confirm this, boxed games exclusively (except if no physical release): less expensive and I don't trust companies.

Azurro

Banned
I still don't get this when your done with ratchet and clank and Elden ring, wouldn't you like to have alot of your money back. When you finish digital games how often do you go back and play these games.

So let's say Elden ring is 60 dollars, and if you resell the game for 25 dollars, that's 45 dollars Vs whatever it costs on PSN

I know how it sounds like, but for me It's not worth the time to list it online, set up a meeting place and all that stuff for a measly 25 bucks.

This is wrong Daniel Ahmad debunked it. Also remember there was a ‘data’ that said Spider-Man Miles Morales only sold 663k copies in first 30 days when Sony themselves revealed it sold 4.1 million in 49 days.
cRGPzc6.jpg

KAL2006

Banned
I know how it sounds like, but for me It's not worth the time to list it online, set up a meeting place and all that stuff for a measly 25 bucks.

Yeah I guess those 5 mins is not worth a measly 25 bucks for some. But for me spending 5 mins to to list something on Facebook marketplace responding to sale is worth a measly 25 bucks.

I sold something the other day on Facebook wasn't a game but literally took me a minute to post it. Took me another 2 minutes to respond to a buyer. While I worked from home the guy knocked on my front door and handed me the money.

That's online, now let's look at selling something in a trade in store. I wouldn't drive to a trade in store specifically to sell a game, but my trade in store is close other stores I usually visit say once every 2 months. So whenever I go to these other shops I just remember to grab the games I wanna sell and pop into the trade in store.

The 5 mins saving for a measly 25 bucks, after selling another 10 games that 25 bucks is now 250 bucks.

Ma-Yuan

Guardians full price? It's on sale for 35€ in stores near me, I almost bought it today but went with other games in the end.
You should have I bought it. I paid full price and I am not mad just sad it gets discounted so quickly. Deserves better but everyone should try it.

Topher

Gold Member
This is wrong Daniel Ahmad debunked it. Also remember there was a ‘data’ that said Spider-Man Miles Morales only sold 663k copies in first 30 days when Sony themselves revealed it sold 4.1 million in 49 days.
cRGPzc6.jpg

Again, this is limited to PS5 owners. Not PS4/PS5 like other reports.

RafterXL

It's more like "Playstation 5 users prefer not to get fucked in the ass by Sony's new pricing tactics"

I've been 100% digital for over 5 years now, both PS and Xbox, but every one of my PS5 games is physical, sans Demon's Souls, because Sony has been terrible this gen with pricing and sales. Imagine selling a PS5 without a drive, and then intentionally gouging those customers for a quick buck. I feel sorry for anyone who bought it.

Also, the entire digital vs physical conversation is moot. Even if this is accurate it's a blip, an aberration, not indicative of physical making a comeback or lessening its demise. Don't get too excite, physical bros.

Again, this is limited to PS5 owners. Not PS4/PS5 like other reports.
And this makes no sense. Why would PS5 owners prefer physical compared to PS4 owners because PS5 owners are probably richer. If anything it’s opposite.

This data is BS. remember there was a ‘data’ that said Spider-Man Miles Morales only sold 663k copies in first 30 days when Sony themselves revealed it sold 4.1 million in 49 days.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
cRGPzc6.jpg
Didnt Q1 start April 2020? Thats the covid bump.

Bryank75

Banned
Guardians full price? It's on sale for 35€ in stores near me, I almost bought it today but went with other games in the end.
I bought on launch though... I knew it would be on sale by now, I just thought it might be 40-50 instead of 35 hahaha

Physical has many advantages.

Your rights are usually specifically expressed in consumer law. If you have any problem with a physical purchase, it's clear what your options are. Digital - much less so. This isn't so much the fault of Sony and Microsoft as the failure of law to keep pace with technology.

Too much power in the hands of the platform holder. You might remember the rigmarole Pockets had to go through when he had a problem with his account. Took months of arguing with Sony customer service.

Delisting games. If you buy your first Xbox tomorrow, you're out of luck if you want to play Forza Motorsport. Unless, of course, you go physical, in which case you can play 5-7 and also FH 2-3 as well. Look at Outrun 2 - an absolute corker of a game. A masterpiece. But some licencing issues means we can probably never buy it again.

Not everybody will agree here, but I enjoy looking for a bargain in shops. Finding a cheap game in a charity shop or a carboot sale, or on eBay (when I should be working). That's fun for me.

I get that there are some advantages of digital, although they don't mean much to me. I'm always puzzled when people say they see no benefit of physical.

Someone brought up digital films and TV earlier. I do subscribe to Netflix, but finding western DVDs here in Japan is very pricey. They're cheap to rent (and then rip). But it's satisfying when a series I like and have on dvd has an episode removed or heavily edited because someone now finds it offensive and I have my uncut version at home.

Topher

Gold Member
And this makes no sense. Why would PS5 owners prefer physical compared to PS4 owners because PS5 owners are probably richer. If anything it’s opposite.

This data is BS. remember there was a ‘data’ that said Spider-Man Miles Morales only sold 663k copies in first 30 days when Sony themselves revealed it sold 4.1 million in 49 days.

It does make sense. There are a lot more digital PS4 deals out there than there are digital PS5 deals. New PS5 owners are going to want PS5 games and those are typically going to be the same price whether digital or physical at this point. The appeal for reselling or trading in physical games is still there.

The Spider-Man "data" has nothing to do with this though. Just because data was supposedly wrong previously doesn't make this data "BS" now.

No I don't, give me downloads over boxes and discs any day of he week.

ftfy

Last edited:

sainraja

Most of the games I've purchased lately have been digital. I started getting digital once they were on sale after already having the physical copy but I've pretty much converted to digital now.

Azurro

Banned
Yeah I guess those 5 mins is not worth a measly 25 bucks for some. But for me spending 5 mins to to list something on Facebook marketplace responding to sale is worth a measly 25 bucks.

I sold something the other day on Facebook wasn't a game but literally took me a minute to post it. Took me another 2 minutes to respond to a buyer. While I worked from home the guy knocked on my front door and handed me the money.

That's online, now let's look at selling something in a trade in store. I wouldn't drive to a trade in store specifically to sell a game, but my trade in store is close other stores I usually visit say once every 2 months. So whenever I go to these other shops I just remember to grab the games I wanna sell and pop into the trade in store.

The 5 mins saving for a measly 25 bucks, after selling another 10 games that 25 bucks is now 250 bucks.

I mean, I get it, I have sold games a couple of times before that I just didn't like, I did that with Monster Hunter for example. But those 10 games, it's over a period of time of what? A year? Then I also lose access to that game.

And honestly, 250 dollars a year...is not a big deal for me. I know how it comes across, but it really isn't.

KAL2006

Banned
The day physical games are dead and Sony and Microsoft go digital only is the day I will go PC only gaming and just pirate games

kingfey

Banned
So basically you are 1) lazy, 2) afraid of meeting people, 3) clearly never used ebay or the likes. 😵‍💫

Whats really useless are those completed digital games of yours. You have no right to sell them, give them away or even put them in a effin microwave because you dont OWN THEM. And you have the nerve calling physical media useless. 🤦🏻‍♂️
Compared to you, his games are forever on that system, until they stop using PlayStation store.

Your physcal games gets scratched, and all those hassle of breaking accidentally, kids breaking it, or losing it.

Each have its pros and cons.

For me, digital is much better, because I can get complete edition for cheap. I am not early adopter. I wait until the game is fully patched, with all its dlc. Something you dont find in the physical version.

TransTrender

Gold Member
I mean, yeah.
I love paying significantly less than MSRP and the full price they're charging for a digital copy, as well as the 5%-12.5% cash back rewards depending on the store and credit card promotion, and then having a physical copy I can trade in or sell at a later date.
It's great!

dorkimoe

Gold Member
I mean, yeah.
I love paying significantly less than MSRP and the full price they're charging for a digital copy, as well as the 5%-12.5% cash back rewards depending on the store and credit card promotion, and then having a physical copy I can trade in or sell at a later date.
It's great!
Yup. And not to mention WAITING. Going to end up with Farcry 6 for like 25bucks physical

kingfey

Banned
This is fucking stupid. Why would you want less choices? So you want me to be forced to pay the digital prices and lose the ability to sell or easily borrow to someone? Please explain the logic behind this.
Isnt there sales with digital games? Who said you need to pay 60$ bucks for it?

If you sell your copy, you are losing the game, and have to rebuy it again. Something digital people dont have to do it. You are losing your game away. You wont be able to replay it, even when there is good dlc gets dropped. Digital people will enjoy that option.

In sense, you are limiting your choices by buying physical, while digital people will have all the dlc on their digital purchases.

One more thing, dlc is a digital purchase. No matter what, you will buy the digital product. physical or digital game, you will need that digital dlc for the game.

kingfey

Banned
The way people try to eliminate physical media is so absurd to me.

So?
You mean the shitty disc, where you will sell it anyway, and wont be able to that game again, until you rebuy it?

I will rather have something, that I can have all dlc, and can redownload it, as much as i want to.

MrA

Banned
cRGPzc6.jpg
I hate needing to constantly explain this, but people are so thick sometimes
the digital download ratio is for ALL SOFTWARE, you know that 4000 game catalog the ps4 has so new games are much more physical heavy, but as a whole physical games are up against that whole catalog so let's say new games from a year are 3/4 physical but the legacy is either digital or used, obviously used is not going to included in sony's total but that so let's say the legacy catalog makes up 1/2 of all sales since they nearly 100% digital we have (1/4)/2 +1/2 or 62.5% digital
also on the revenue front 1st party digital sony gets 100%, where as physical they only get like 2/3 of the retail price and digital third party sony gets 1/3 digital but only like 1/6 of the price of third party games as revenue
right now ps5 games are all new releases, therefore majority of physical

You mean the shitty disc, where you will sell it anyway, and wont be able to that game again, until you rebuy it?

I will rather have something, that I can have all dlc, and can redownload it, as much as i want to.
unless the store shuts down, but seriously why do you get so worked up that some people prefer physical copies?
if you prefer digital rock-on, do things the way you see fit, why get upset that other people prefer something else? options are a good thing
I mean why are digital boys so big on HOW DARE YOU LIKE PHYSICAL PRODUCTS, I DON'T LIKE THEM YOU SHOULDN"T LIKE THEM

Topher

Gold Member
OMG I LOVE PLASTIC CLUTTER!!! LET ME PUT IT ON A SHELF TO COLLECT DUST PLEASE YES DADDY!

No, sell it when you are done with it. Or trade it in. These are not new concepts.

Stupidity Are You Stupid GIF

Sorry about your daddy issues.

Why would you sell something you wanted to play again? If you want to play it again and again.....then keep it. The difference is with physical you have a choice. With digital, you do not.

These are facts.

Last edited:
also on the revenue front 1st party digital sony gets 100%, where as physical they only get like 2/3 of the retail price and digital third party sony gets 1/3 digital but only like 1/6 of the price of third party games as revenue
right now ps5 games are all new releases, therefore majority of physical
Maybe you can’t read properly so I will highlight it for you. It says UNIT sales, not dollar sales. This official Sony data only highlights sales not revenue If they included dollar sales it would be even more one sided. Also more digital games is irrelevant since this data says that apparently more games are purchased physically which again is debunked by Sony official sources. You can’t lie to shareholders. These are accurate numbers.

Again I go back to that ‘data’ Spider-Man Miles Morales only sold 663k copies in first 30 days when Sony themselves revealed it sold 4.1 million in 49 days.

We are only talking about UNIT Sales not Revenue.
vjNqBTz.jpg

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
No, sell it when you are done with it. Or trade it in. These are not new concepts.

Why would you sell something you wanted to play again? If you want to play it again and again.....then keep it. The difference is with physical you have a choice. With digital, you do not.

These are facts.

Still doesn't make much sense to me.

Apart from niche interests like vinyl records, people have long ago left behind physical copies of movies and music in favor of streaming and digital stores.

Even as a Steam guy, I'm so damn glad something as competent as GamePass finally exists to prevent gaming from being stuck in the past

The industry is changing for the better imho

kingfey

Banned

These are facts.
Do you even read what you typed?

Most of you physical copies people here, scream that you can sell your games. So how the hell would you guys play the game again, if you sell it?

Its like dog chasing his tail. Pointing out that you can sell your physical games, while ignoring the need to replay it again.
Check In G Eazy GIF by Audacy

At least with digital, I can have replay value with it, for a long time.

Top Bottom