• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 [OT] Taking Over The World One SSD At A Time

Cyborg

This console has been a joy to play since the launch.

1. Games: so much cool games for me
- Demon Souls (never played it, got my platinum)
- Sackboy (so much fun)
- Astrobot (damn what a game, got my platinum)
- Spiderman MM (got my platinum),
- Daysgone (never played it, amazing game and got my platinum)
- Bugsnax (hey, its Bugs)

2. PS+ and PS+ Collection are just awsome
- Realy strong months with games I dont own but always wanted to try
- 19 games for ''free'' and almost half of them I never experienced

3. Hardware
- The DualSense is so good, I just cant go back to DS4 or other controller
- The speed is insane, almost instant!Wwhat a joy to play instead of waiting for things to load
- UI navigation is sublime and feels good

4. Future looks bright
- Upcoming games (while crossgen, doesnt bother me) are looking so good and I cant wait for them to experience it.
- My son (5 years) is in love with the PS5 and DualSense so a PS fan is born

For me its an 9/10 and I love it combined with my Switch.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

- Sackboy (so much fun)

3. Hardware
- The speed is insane, almost instant!Wwhat a joy to play instead of waiting for things to load

4. Future looks bright
- Upcoming games (while crossgen, doesnt bother me) are looking so good and I cant wait for them to experience it.

Between the controller (OMG Astro’s Play Room is so so good 😊), the 60 FPS patches (GoT has been taking al my gaming time recently), etc... it has had a lot of nice interesting moments and yes the overall OS UI changes they have made are golden!!!

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I got my PS5 last month but yesterday I finally found the time and energy to unbox and plug it in.

First impressions? Heavy and ugly with cheap plastic everywhere. Luckily it fits behind my TV so I don't have to look at it.

Ghost of Tsushima is finally playable with smooth 60FPS. I had to start from the beginning because I forgot that Sony doesn't do cloud saves in 2021 by default and you have to be subscribed to PS+ to enable them.

Menu music is nice. I had to update the console, all the games and even a controller so it's been playing in my living room for a while.

Now let's wait for some big exclusives to drop.
Christ... aren't you miserable

D.Final

Banned

- Sackboy (so much fun)

3. Hardware

4. Future looks bright

I'm waiting just for more exclusive

- Sackboy (so much fun)

3. Hardware

4. Future looks bright

Couldn't have agreed more!

skit_data

cant see how anyone can say this, the control centre is always so slow to come up when you open first time after a while
I have never experienced this, do you power off the console or leave it in sleep mode?

I remember the PS4 UI got slow before i started turning it off instead of sleep mode but never experience it as i always turn the PS5 completely off everytime im not using it.

Last edited:

Moogle11

Banned
Yeah I think UI laggingness is related to using rest mode. A restart should fix It. I’ve been just fully powering down since it turns on and loads games so fast and there were reports of issues like that and problems with external HDDs when using it.

The console as a whole I like a lot, but probably should have bought later on as it’s not getting a ton of use. Nothing wrong with it, just not much out I care to play and I was mostly caught up on PS4 games having mained that console last gen. Since I also got an XSX, that’s got most of my time as I didn’t play a lot of Xbox or PC last gen and was behind on their games and many of the indies on Gamepass.

That said, I don’t really care as there’s no way I’d wait until a price drop to get a PS5 as I’ll want the best version of Horizon 2, want Ratchet and Clank etc. so it’s not like I cost myself any money. Just wasted some time and energy securing the order on something I haven’t used that much. I did start up Genshin Impact on it and I’m liking that so far so it should get some more use going forward. Going to try the Immortals Fenyx Rysing demo too and see if I like that more than GI.

I’ll probably make this the last generation I early adopt though. Especially if it takes a similar amount of time and effort to get orders in as it did this time. Doesn‘t feel worth it when I’be mostly been playing things I could have played on my old consoles or PC, but with graphics/FPS boosts. Launches don’t have the same appeal as in the past when all games were next gen exclusive, especially since I’m less wowed by graphical improvements than in my younger days.

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
I got my PS5 last month but yesterday I finally found the time and energy to unbox and plug it in.

First impressions? Heavy and ugly with cheap plastic everywhere. Luckily it fits behind my TV so I don't have to look at it.

Ghost of Tsushima is finally playable with smooth 60FPS. I had to start from the beginning because I forgot that Sony doesn't do cloud saves in 2021 by default and you have to be subscribed to PS+ to enable them.

Menu music is nice. I had to update the console, all the games and even a controller so it's been playing in my living room for a while.

Now let's wait for some big exclusives to drop.

I can see you angrily shaking your finger at the PS5 the whole time you were setting it up.

I look forward to your post in a few weeks or a month about how the system has coil whine and/or loud fans because you dont have it properly ventilated.

Moogle11

Banned
I can see you angrily shaking your finger at the PS5 the whole time you were setting it up.

I look forward to your post in a few weeks or a month about how the system has coil whine and/or loud fans because you dont have it properly ventilated.
Behind a TV should be plenty of ventilation. It’s likely sideways and thus the rear vents not right up against a wall. I considered putting mine that way, but it didn’t fit. Thus the XSX is there on the corner behind the TV and PS5 is on top my subwoofer (kept low and rarely use the surround sound in my mancave anyway).

Main worry with either would be putting them on a shelf in a TV stand that’s not fully open in the back as they both blow out a lot of air, or having the PS5 with it’s back vents up against a wall. Other than that, sticking behind a TV or whatever should of be fine as that’s out in the open and allows good airflow etc.

This big boy has plenty of space to breath behind my TV. I just need to do something with the cables.

Downloading Spider-Man remastered right now. It's my favorite Sony exclusive from PS4 era. Will check it out this evening.

JSRnKQL.jpg

Moogle11

Banned
It's ruining my feng shui. I don't want to look at it. I want to play Gran Turismo 7.
Mine bothered me less than I thought in my all black set up (well mostly, Orbi router is also white and bugs me). I ended up putting it on top the subwoofer where I had my PSVR on a stand so my eyes were used to something white and black sticking out there. Which it would fit to swap places with the XSX though as it would look better and the XSX being behind the TV makes the IR sensor for my Harmony remote a little hit or miss sometimes. Prefer using it for streaming as I like the UI better and nice to not have to buy the media remote or deal with navigating with a controller on PS5.

QN5FNWQ.jpg

Gaf, how do I download Gran Turismo Sport from the store? I own it digitally and it shows up in my library but there's a padlock next to it and it asks me to buy it again? Same with other games. Help, please.

I have a bc question.
For ps4 games that had "automatic" pro vs standard modes, how to choose these now?
Like last guardian. Will it start in 1890p or 1080p ?(30fps both ways since I play patched because of freezing).

Like, in a games that did not had a toggle like Uncharted 4. I know that on slim it ran 1080p and 1440p on pro... so is ps5 emulating a ps4 pro? Or is that dictated bt "game preset" option? or is that only for new ps5 games...
Game preset is only for ps5 games based on the 40 ps4 games I have tested it out on. Your ps5 will automatically play your PS4 games on pro version if there’s one. So in your case last guardian will run at 1800p, even better if you run your disc copy unpatched for last guardian and god of war, it’ll run at 4k60fps for both games CBR

cripterion

I like the console, as said before I'm just playing Nioh 2 on it but got Fifa, 2K, Spider-Man for it. Astrobot was a good showcase for the Dual Sense. Valhalla runs good and glad I chose the PS5 to the pc version but the game sucked my soul, it's boring, can't take Ubisoft gameplay mechanics anymore.

The console definitely has potential and so far the real game changer is the SSD cutting those load times. As for more powerful CPU, nothing on the system translates to that... Every experience on the games they claim to be next gen could be had on last gen.
My overall experience is that the PS5 is what the PS4 pro should have been...

Folks who couldn't get their hands on one aren't missing a thing, system needs updates, still no sign of SSD support, VRR and 2021 will be a dry year for gaming IMO.

I'm mostly disappointed that with the lack of games, we don't have more last gen games with PS5 support. Most notably FFVII remake, TLOU2 and God of War. Especially after how well received were the updates to GoT and Days Gone.

Last edited:

DaveinAmaze

Neo Member
I bought the disc version of Ryza 2 which comes with a PS5 version for free download. I deleted the PS4 version because why would I need a lesser version of the same game install. When I turn my PS5 on now it always tries to install the PS4 version until I stop it. Is there a way to prevent this?

I think that's a system bug as it seems to be like that for most physical ps4 games that include a ps5 version. The system will always try to install the ps4 version even if the ps5 version is already installed. Surprised they haven't patched this yet.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Game preset is only for ps5 games based on the 40 ps4 games I have tested it out on. Your ps5 will automatically play your PS4 games on pro version if there’s one. So in your case last guardian will run at 1800p, even better if you run your disc copy unpatched for last guardian and god of war, it’ll run at 4k60fps for both games CBR
thanks! That's the answer I was looking for.
So uc4 will be 1440p and last guardian 4k. Disc version freezes and I am fine with 30, so it's ok.

Another one - the 3d sound for headphones that is turned on by auto if You plug into controller.. is it like on every game? or only supported ps5 games? Will bloodborne audio be messed up by this ?!

If that's a great fit then I don't even want to know what's a tight fit. :messenger_hushed:
Gotta be the angle of the image then because there's like 15 cm of space on each side and maybe 5 cm on top. Around 20 cm free space behind it too 🙂

Also, the front of the cupboard is covering the bottom front of the PS5 som it looks a lot tighter than what is is I think.

Last edited:

Moogle11

Banned
Yeah as long as it’s open in the back it’s fine since that’s where it vents air.

Hell, my PS4 Pro was fine for 4+ years in a shelf in my TV stand that was mostly closed in the back (couple wholes for wires) as long as I kept the glass doors open when playing. Probably would have been a bit less noisy more out in the open, but never got in of the overheating shutdowns etc. I put my new consoles out in the open as in the pic above as I just though they looked better (PS5 esepcially as the white showing through the glass doors on my TV stand would stick out and annoy me more than being off to the side) and just wanting to maximize quiet after how loud my PS4 and PS4 Pro were.

Jebron

So I was finally able to get a Digital Edition, got delivered Wednesday and I've been playing a ton. Before I go through my first impressions, I played primarily last-gen on PS4 and PS4 Pro, I did not own an Xbox One. I was unsuccessful in pre-ordering any PS5's last year, despite my best attempts, but I was able to pre-order the Series X and got it on release day. I've put hundreds of hours on the Series X so far, and overall I'm quite impressed with the machine. I don't want to re-iterate things that have been said a million times like the speed of the SSD, but there are a couple things I wanted to mention:

1) The DualSense controller is absolutely incredible, I'm blown away by how good it is and how good it feels. I thought the Series X controller was an improvement from the Xbox One controller, but the DualSense is incredible! Sony knocked everything about this controller out of the park. The build quality, input latency, haptics, mic, battery life, overall it's just a massive improvement over the DualShock 4.

2) The overall UX is a breath of fresh air, I'm really enjoying the new interface and how snappy everything feels, as well as the minimalist approach Sony is taking. There are some glaring issues though, like the lack of a friend activity feed and the Store being a cluttered mess. I know some people dislike the UI, but I feel like Sony has some great plans for the future and the foundation (like the card system and game help) looks very solid. I look forward to seeing how they build on it.

I think the majority of my gaming time is going to be spent on the PS5, the controller and the future-potential of the UX have me very excited for things to come. I'm curious if the past 7 years of PS4 has skewed my opinion a little, but even though (on paper) the Series X has more horsepower, I just feel at home with the PS5 and it excites me way more than the Xbox. While all this is personal opinion, I'm curious how others who own both consoles feel on this topic.

Moogle11

Banned
So I was finally able to get a Digital Edition, got delivered Wednesday and I've been playing a ton. Before I go through my first impressions, I played primarily last-gen on PS4 and PS4 Pro, I did not own an Xbox One. I was unsuccessful in pre-ordering any PS5's last year, despite my best attempts, but I was able to pre-order the Series X and got it on release day. I've put hundreds of hours on the Series X so far, and overall I'm quite impressed with the machine. I don't want to re-iterate things that have been said a million times like the speed of the SSD, but there are a couple things I wanted to mention:

1) The DualSense controller is absolutely incredible, I'm blown away by how good it is and how good it feels. I thought the Series X controller was an improvement from the Xbox One controller, but the DualSense is incredible! Sony knocked everything about this controller out of the park. The build quality, input latency, haptics, mic, battery life, overall it's just a massive improvement over the DualShock 4.

2) The overall UX is a breath of fresh air, I'm really enjoying the new interface and how snappy everything feels, as well as the minimalist approach Sony is taking. There are some glaring issues though, like the lack of a friend activity feed and the Store being a cluttered mess. I know some people dislike the UI, but I feel like Sony has some great plans for the future and the foundation (like the card system and game help) looks very solid. I look forward to seeing how they build on it.

I think the majority of my gaming time is going to be spent on the PS5, the controller and the future-potential of the UX have me very excited for things to come. I'm curious if the past 7 years of PS4 has skewed my opinion a little, but even though (on paper) the Series X has more horsepower, I just feel at home with the PS5 and it excites me way more than the Xbox. While all this is personal opinion, I'm curious how others who own both consoles feel on this topic.
I have both as well. Also mained PS4 last gen, while also having a Wii U and Switch and PC for Xbox games.

So far it’s looking like I’ll be back to maining Xbox (mained 360 the prior generation). I’m loving both platforms so far, but I prefer the XSX UI, especially prefer my Elite controller (and Xbox controller layout in general) and Gamepass is just huge for me. I don’t collect or replay things, so a rental type service is just ideal for me vs. buying digital games I beat once (if I finish them) and never touch again or buying physical games to hassle with selling after I’m done. I also just have a ton to catch up on that’s on Gamepass as I fell off PC gaming so I’m behind on Xbox games and behind on indies that are on there vs. the Sony side where I mostly played the PS4 games that interested me and was only interested in Miles Morales and Astrobot among the new stuff so far.

So unless something changes, I’ll probably spend more time on Xbox and Gamepass this gen, but still plenty of time on PS5 for Sony exclusives and online games with my PS friends and Switch and it’s eventual successor for Nintendo games and my portable gaming needs.

I’ll always have all consoles so not that big a deal which one I spend more time on I suppose.

Last edited:

I like the new UI. I just hope we get a few QoL updates back (things we lost from PS4), namely folders (or at least let me pick what games show up on the dashboard, not just my most recent ones), uploading/downloading save data straight from game menu, and social activities/friend updates.

I really do enjoy playing on the PS5. I recently spent too much money upgrading my PC (was hard not to impulse buy a new CPU and GPU when I had a chance to get them for MSRP and not scalper fucked), but even with my new build sitting here I am more often than not on my PS5.

I have popped more Plat trophies the past 3 months than the last 3 years combined. My PS5 is almost always on.

Just me install internal SSD expansion and I am all set.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
there is no plastic film right ?
I am looking at mine and I can't decide if there is :p I've not even dusted it off yet since the glossy part is said to be so soft

thanks! That's the answer I was looking for.
So uc4 will be 1440p and last guardian 4k. Disc version freezes and I am fine with 30, so it's ok.

Another one - the 3d sound for headphones that is turned on by auto if You plug into controller.. is it like on every game? or only supported ps5 games? Will bloodborne audio be messed up by this ?!
3D turned on helps with games that specifically take advantage of the 3D audio processing capabilities. In all other games the effect isn’t that much pronounced. But sound hasn’t been messed up at all. At least not for me, I’ve tried out range of ps4 games with 3D and they all sounded the same if not slightly more crisper/clearer and louder

Yesterday I finally played some more on my PS5.

New Spider-Man looks and feels amazing. That moment when you get to freely swing around the city. Snowfall, city lights, Jaden x Kid Cudi playing in the background. Just perfect.

I was tired after a couple of days of 14+ hours coding sessions so I only played for like 1.5 hours and when I was about to switch off my console I started to dig into the new menus and discovered that new section that recommends you things to do. Very cool idea. I selected activity that said it will take 5 minutes to complete and saved a cat.

10/10

Last edited:
Yesterday I finally played some more on my PS5.

New Spider-Man looks and feels amazing. That moment when you get to freely swing around the city. Snowfall, city lights, Jaden x Kid Cudi playing in the background. Just perfect.

I was tired after a couple of days of 14+ hours coding sessions so I only played for like 1.5 hours and when I was about to switch off my console I started to dig into the new menus and discovered that new section that recommends you things to do. Very cool idea. I selected activity that said it will take 5 minutes to complete and saved a cat.

10/10

Is your PS5 defective?

Rolla

Banned
The Dualsense has been an absolute revelation. Most of last gen I used the Elite Series and then Version 2 on the PS4. But since the Dualsense came out I haven't been able to go back. I tried but it just feels arbitary. I use it most for COD and although Cold War isn't the best Multi, in my opinion of course, the implementation of the Dualsense is simply sublime. The feeling. Like really... The feeling.

Every Kill streak
Every Slide
Every weapon
Every Explosion

Like the list goes on and even then there are varients that determine the intensity. I never play COD solo but the DualSense has me running games regardless of who is running with me.

I don't know I'm just asking you had any issues with it. You did get a later production model so maybe some of the early issues were resolved.
No issues so far. Bear in mind that I only used it for a couple of hours. Disc drive is annoyingly loud when it starts to spin but other than that it's tip top.

Top Bottom