• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro Reviews

preorder cancelled for BF1 or the Pro? Because a lot of games already show much bigger improvements. Have you seen/ downloaded the Ratchet and Clank vids on gamersyde?
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_ratche...-18526_en.html
That went from a jaggy game to a pixar movie in 1080p
Well R&C is a special case as they released a patch with temporal AA that works on the regular PS4 - it provides a huge boost even without a Pro.

Lulu23

preorder cancelled for BF1 or the Pro? Because a lot of games already show much bigger improvements. Have you seen/ downloaded the Ratchet and Clank vids on gamersude?
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_ratche...-18526_en.html
That went from a jaggy game to a pixar movie in 1080p

BF1 is out, so for the Pro. Maybe I'll get it down the line, but right now I kinda want it for BF1 improvements only. Hoping for more stable (= playable, unlike on OG) 64 players framerate, IQ improvements and less resolution drops.

Not getting ANY info on how that "day 1 patch" will actually support the Pro seems like a bad sign though. :(

Yeah, but there's a much bigger difference on the Pro. Download it.

I have, not denying it looks great it does and I'm sure it's a big improvement over the PS4 - but the biggest issue with the PS4 version was the aliasing/pixel-crawling and the temporal AA patch helped massively with that. In fact when the pics of it were posted in one of the threads I and others thought it was the Pro version, when they were actually from the PS4 with the new patch.

BF1 is out, so for the Pro. Maybe I'll get it down the line, but right now I kinda want it for BF1 improvements only. Hoping for more stable (= playable, unlike on OG) 64 players framerate, IQ improvements and less resolution drops.

Not getting ANY info on how that "day 1 patch" will actually support the Pro seems like a bad sign though. :(
Well for you i hope there will be some clearity very soon then.
I have, not denying it looks great it does and I'm sure it's a big improvement over the PS4 - but the biggest issue with the PS4 version was the aliasing/pixel-crawling and the temporal AA patch helped massively with that. In fact when the pics of it were posted in one of the threads I and others thought it was the Pro version, when they were actually from the PS4 with the new patch.
Yeah it was an amazing patch for PS4. Insomniac is awesome.

We have no official words for FIFA either, so it could be something to do with the dealio with Microsoft. Since they had commercial deals with both FIFA and BF1 I think?
I don't want to go into the direction of some conspiracy.
Maybe there is some logical technical reason.

Afrikan

My guess is the extra GPU power is just keeping it at 1080p without a patch and that is why it looks different? I dunno.

sounds about right... is the regular game is still 900p?

I thought I remembered reading that all games that are under 1080p...will be 1080p on Pro.

Ozorov

I don't want to go into the direction of some conspiracy.
Maybe there is some logical technical reason.

latest

Well to be fair, we have not got information from other Day 1-patched games as well.

GoaThief

Why? Scorpio will be EXACTLY the same. Old games will need support and they've been quite clear that they are allowing devs to choose how they want to use the power. Literally the same thing, you just romanticized that console around some idea in your head.
Really? So 50% more power than the pro but will only output Pro levels of graphics? Precedent set with no patches required for games (albeit in less of a capacity)? Bigger jump over XB1 to Scorpio than PS4 to Pro? A whole extra year of studios developing enhanced multiplat console titles leaving more on the menu for consumers? A whole extra year for first party devs and games? A whole year for prices to come down on components and 4k TVs?

There's plenty the Scorpio has going in its favour at present. The attempts to frame platform bias are quite frankly miles off base and only serve to move the thread into unnecessary ststem warz territory. Not the purpose of this thread nor my initial post (see fixation on one tiny part of it).

As a double dipped PS4 owner the Pro is just not offering enough for me and others (including reviewers) at present. That's the bottom line.

Really? So 50% more power than the pro but will only output Pro levels of graphics? Precedent set with no patches required for games (albeit in less of a capacity)? Bigger jump over XB1 to Scorpio than PS4 to Pro? A whole extra year of studios developing enhanced multiplat console titles leaving more on the menu for consumers? A whole extra year for first party devs and games? A whole year for prices to come down on components and 4k TVs?

There's plenty the Scorpio has going in its favour at present. The attempts to frame platform bias are quite frankly miles off base and only serve to move the thread into unnecessary ststem warz territory. Not the purpose of this thread nor my initial post (see fixation on one tiny part of it).

As a double dipped PS4 owner the Pro is just not offering enough for me and others (including reviewers) at present. That's the bottom line.

What does this mean? Because I'm fairly certain more games will support Pro then Scorpio.

You've spent this entire thread essentially defending your companies shoddy development techniques and how they'd be game breaking, downplaying anyone who's mentioned the XBOS' enhancements that end up negating the need for a patch.

Get a grip.
Um... I don't work for Sony.

I'm also not defending. I'm explaining why X cannot equal Y.

I'm downplaying comparing apples to oranges, correct.

I suppose you wouldn't actually read what I wrote and just write whatever you want about what I said like this:
His development techniques are non existent as he basically downplayed not knowing much about the adjusted low level APIs.

When I actually said this:
I don't work with low level. Not needed for what I'm doing.

I mean, if you're going to talk shit - quote me, don't just make shit up. It's a bad tactic.

I don't work with it for our current title. That doesn't mean I don't know how or haven't played around with testing random things. Often I will break for a day or two to change the channel and do crazy shit, just to see what I can do and switch gears. It's how i first wrote my own physics code - by mucking about one day. I'm a self-taught programmer so I do fancy me some hands-on black-belting in messing around.

With that - I'm out. Everyone is hereby free to believe what they want and talk as much shit as they want and pretend I said shit I never did. This is grossly OT.

deadduck

Really? So 50% more power than the pro but will only output Pro levels of graphics?

There's plenty the Scorpio has going in its favour at present.

If people can barely see the 120% jump in power over XBO to Pro, not sure 50% over pro will be so big.

Right now Scorpio has nothing going for it, because it doesn't exist.

Grechy34

WTF happened to this thread man? I thought GAF was better then the trash that I expect to see on twitter and facebook.

Unknown?

Dude was it that hard to comprehend my post? I didn't mention anything about power. You were complaining about games needing to be patched which will ultimately be the same exact situation for Scorpio. Same with how devs actually use the 6tf meaning not every game will have much effort put into it like Rise of the Tomb Raider has, it will vary. Old games WILL need those patches because it's not a minor upclock. Nor did I frame platform bias, I merely stated you're making romanticized assumptions about Scorpio that aren't going to happen.

As far as games go by the time Scorpio comes out Pro will have a MUCH larger library of games as well.

winstano

Don't be prematurely calling for bans now.

Right. Here we go. Tried to hit the share button at the exact same time on each console. Think the PS4 took it a split second before the Pro though.

battlefield1_20161109uojw0.png

PS4
battlefield1_20161109t4s1r.png

PS4 Pro

Hadn't moved an inch, so not 100% sure why the positions are slightly different.

Have at it, GAF.

(edit: 2160p image was captured - https://abload.de/img/battlefield1_20161109z3kof.png)

Electret

BF1 screens

I've not been following the BF1 situation closely at all, but I do notice the UI is upscaled in the Pro shot. Although some other games do upscale their UI, you would think Dice would render theirs at native res in their Pro version. Anyone know if the UI in BF4 was upscaled from 900P on PS4, or renderd at 1080P?

Don't be prematurely calling for bans now.

Right. Here we go. Tried to hit the share button at the exact same time on each console. Think the PS4 took it a split second before the Pro though.

battlefield1_20161109uojw0.png

PS4
battlefield1_20161109t4s1r.png

PS4 Pro

Hadn't moved an inch, so not 100% sure why the positions are slightly different.

Have at it, GAF.

(edit: 2160p image was captured - https://abload.de/img/battlefield1_20161109z3kof.png)
clear difference. Less aliasing, sharper. And higher res screen?

winstano

there's barely a difference here.

Nobody ever said it was a massive "OMGZ level of difference (I certainly didn't), but there *is* a difference. When it's running it looks noticeably sharper.

Anyway, it's gone midnight here. I'm going to bed. Blatant plug for our site: nextgengamingblog.com, and youtube.com/nextgengamingblog - Gonna have some more PS4/Pro comparisons coming this week. Hopefully none quite as controversial as this one!!

Electret

Leather straps on the buckles, the numbers on the gun, edges of the gauntlets for me...

Not sure I agree. The increased brightness will naturally highlight details to a greater degree that a relatively lesser brightness would not. As such, comparing the two is mighty difficult.

Edit: actually, these elements do appear slightly sharper to me. Seems to be a combo of sharpness and brightness. It's just super, super minor.

PS4 Pro captures at either 1080 or 2160 regardless of whether you're playing on 1080p screens or not.

Man, that vindication feels good.

Haha.
But you also noticed it while playing?

I still have no idea what is going on. And hope for a additional patch in the future for our BF1 fans here.

Top Bottom