• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro Reviews

Actually I think it's because both games Titan fall and bf1 are being marketed for xbox one . So EA can't really promote how much better the game will look on pro. But hey common sense isn't allowed in GAF sometimes (not talking about you inceptional. Was just following up the conversation)

That makes sense and would also feed into what I said as well, I just think they don't want to throw the PS4 version under the bus either since that's the platform it's selling like gang-busters on. The Xbox deal makes sense too but I think it's just about sales and perception in general.

Even if I try to argue this against myself, and if the problems with games reliant of perfect hardware timing would only manifest in the most edge case scenarios (which goes against all the experience I have on the issue), just let the player take a risk, provide an option and a warning screen. Option would not be enabled by default.
This argument has been made before, and it's an inherent problem with a system that's often used by multiple people.

You have a conflict between the nature of a console and tying a potentially critical compatibility flag deep within the menus. Now if you make it more easily accessible, you then run the risk of it being flagged accidentally. if you try to nestle it deep within more advanced options, then you run the risk of a family member who's not aware that their brother enabled this and tries to play their game and not understand what the heck is going on when it won't run.

I wouldn't have a problem with this. Most of GAF likely wouldn't. But I think people seriously overestimate peoples tolerance for shit-not-working with respect to consoles and underestimate the appeal of not having to worry about critical settings affecting games actually running for the console crowd. It's why you get gaffers arguing that a DIY PC is such an 'obvious' choice over a console because it can get better framerates, there's an inherent bubble enthusiasts on forums like this live in with respect to the technical acumen they're willing to accustom themselves to in order to have a better entertainment experience. Most people just aren't willing to do that.

Only do so for a select few games that actually benefit from upclock,
...so now you've just made Sony the QA dept for third parties (at least more than they already are).
Another option as I mention, recruit people to do this via beta testing.
Which is different from creating a patch, how? They have to do the same QA, and to be accepted as a Pro-enabled patch all they have to do is enable supersampling.

As devs here have said themselves, people are grossly underestimating the important/time-sink involved with QA. Regardless, these last two scenarios are just so close to the current system of requiring a patch to enable Pro support I don't see the point.

Now, it is entirely possible that PS4 games are all created in such a way that they simply would not work period if the clock changes even slightly.
We know it's inherently more than 'possible' as Cerney has himself stated they've already experimented with this and went this route for compatibility.
In that case, no need to put any effort into this. But I find that really hard to believe considering how flexible games tend to be nowadays.
I don't understand what this means. How are console games 'flexible' with regards to differing hardware? What evidence is there of this? Please don't use the Xbox S with it's 2% frame uptick in a handful of games, please no.

Marmelade

980ti and yes I know I probably should stick with that and get a PS4 pro. I just don't know about having to many platforms and very little time seems like a waste like I'm sure getting a 1070 would be since I have a 980 Ti.

Granted the lower power and better VR more VRAM etc are reasons why I'm considering it.

Unless you can sell it at a good price, going from a 980 Ti to a 1070 makes little sense, even for the reasons you mentioned

Either stick with the 980 Ti or sell it to buy a Pro if you really don't wanna have multiple platforms and prefer console gaming

pixelation

Quieter, White, Fastest and Most Reliable Gaming Network

So what is the purpose of coming over to the Pro thread to drop logs on it?, if you're so enamoured with the other box then head over to its official thread and praise it over there.

I do not coincide with your choice... why?, games... u don't need an XBO to play most of their exclusives and if you really care that much about the IQ then you're better off building a good rig. U can't say the same about Playstation exclusives now can you?... i thought so.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Unless you can sell it at a good price, going from a 980 Ti to a 1070 makes little sense, even for the reasons you mentioned

Either stick with the 980 Ti or sell it to buy a Pro if you really don't wanna have multiple platforms and prefer console gaming
Yeah, going from a 980Ti to a 1070 wouldn't really be a big gain.

I'd wait for a 1080Ti before switching.

UHD blu-ray, 4k game scaling, performance boosts without patches, $300. the choice is clear
I'm sure this is a joke post, but it should be noted that the actual scaling quality of the Xbox One S isn't really that amazing. Most high-end 4KTVs feature much better scalers. I know LG's OLED TVs scale 1080p a lot better than the XO-S, at least.

The XO-S is a beautiful machine, though. The hardware itself is just fantastic looking.

Show her some charts and graphs about optimal TV viewing distance. Wives like it when their husbands educate them.

giphy.gif

winstano

Right. I've had enough of being called a liar by people publicly and privately. These are uncompressed PNG screenshots of the 40mb/s video that we exported before uploading to YouTube. Battlefield 1. On PS4 Standard and PS4 Pro.

screenshot2016-11-08af6s5s.png

screenshot2016-11-08a15szq.png

Tell me there isn't a difference.

screenshot2016-11-08a98sk9.png

screenshot2016-11-08a33suy.png

Caayn

Right. I've had enough of being called a liar by people publicly and privately. These are uncompressed PNG screenshots of the 40mb/s video that we exported before uploading to YouTube. Battlefield 1. On PS4 Standard and PS4 Pro.

https://abload.de/img/screenshot2016-11-08af6s5s.png[img]
[img]https://abload.de/img/screenshot2016-11-08a15szq.png[img]

[img]https://abload.de/img/screenshot2016-11-08a98sk9.png[img]
[img]https://abload.de/img/screenshot2016-11-08a33suy.png[img][/QUOTE]Thanks for posting these. A clear difference can be seen on the leather straps on the player's hands and the bottom of the player's helmet. Although it isn't world shattering to be honest.

How does it run in Conquest and Operations? Smoother than the ps4?

Are we sure the PS4 Pro updated wasn't on the disc for BF1? What has EA said?

Winstano and Gamespot aren't the only ones claiming to notice a difference. Someone on Reddit mentioned there being a difference as well.

It's possible these people are just experiencing a placebo effect.

Funny you should upload that path. In the split view video I saw it as a potential difference on the ground textures but the nature of the video split made it difficult to highlight.

Do you have any clue how many people it takes to test a single game before gold? Do you even know what testers have to do?

Do you honestly think a handful of people are going to run into every wall, shoot every wall, crouch in front of every wall, prone in front of every wall, cast every spell in front of every wall, try each menu option in front of every wall, try every conceivable action in front of every wall then repeat it for doors, floors, moving platforms, yada yada yada?

There's a whooooooole string of strange behavior that can happen in very remote situations with off-the-wall action combinations that it would be an insurmountable task to test.

You don't just boot, play for 5 minutes and call it a day.

What are you even on about in this thread? Seriously? Don't get a pro if you are continuing to willfully not even TRY to understand what potential problems can happen and why steps were taken to ensure maximum compatibility.

You've got to be trolling, at this point. I get being disappointed that you won't see bumps in unpatched games but this? Holy cow.

You've spent this entire thread essentially defending your companies shoddy development techniques and how they'd be game breaking, downplaying anyone who's mentioned the XBOS' enhancements that end up negating the need for a patch.

Get a grip.

Ozorov

Will be interesting to see what the Patch will bring

Lol, every single person that you don't agree with you have been bashing them. Responding with rhetoric and cherry picking comments to fit your agenda. Are the mods out voting still today? Because this is getting ridiculous.
Lol you don't even know what you're responding to. This has nothing to do with our discussion.

This was the response he was talking about, a poster extolling the virtues of the Xbox One S in a PS4 Pro review thread:

NedxqKW.png

Again, lol. Calm down sonny. Really, whining to the 'mods' because I and others point out shoddy arguments is beyond sad (there isn't an irony meter explosion large enough to complain about "cherry picking quotes", btw).

You've spent this entire thread essentially defending your companies shoddy development techniques
Explain why they're "shoddy". In fact, explain his 'development techniques" to begin with - what are they?
and how they'd be game breaking, downplaying anyone who's mentioned the XBOS' enhancements that end up negating the need for a patch.
They should be downplayed, as it's a minute improvement of a different system and it's ridiculous to use it as 'evidence' that another platform with far more significant differences between the models should not exhibit any issue. A slight GPU uptick, and that's it - vs a much larger CPU jump, massive GPU upgrade, different development environment, etc.

With the firecuda being sold out everywhere for the foreseeable future and no reviews on the advantages of dad's I guess the regular 2.5 barracuda is the disk of choice?

Fisty

Lol, every single person that you don't agree with you have been bashing them. Responding with rhetoric and cherry picking comments to fit your agenda. Are the mods out voting still today? Because this is getting ridiculous.

You've spent this entire thread essentially defending your companies shoddy development techniques and how they'd be game breaking, downplaying anyone who's mentioned the XBOS' enhancements that end up negating the need for a patch.

Get a grip.

Man what the hell is going on in this thread

DBT85

RG0BS1U.gif

Have to say, look at the disparity isn't as large as I would expect.

viHuGi

Banned

Better IQ, AF and texture resolution but has the game been updated yet?

Fucking hell Dice, why even bother? Jesus

Looks like a slight res bump as well
5Tec.png

Not followed the game, I guessing its 900p on PS4 and they've done 1080p for the Pro. Thanks for the video stills albeit not the best of quality. Some screenshots would be great. Hardly seen any.

-griffy-

Banned
I'm not convinced those BF1 shots are showing a difference. The game has so much post processing that it looks like it could just be motion blur in the base shot.

I was about to. What in the name of sweet baby Christ happened here??

I'm sure this is a joke post, but it should be noted that the actual scaling quality of the Xbox One S isn't really that amazing. Most high-end 4KTVs feature much better scalers. I know LG's OLED TVs scale 1080p a lot better than the XO-S, at least.

The XO-S is a beautiful machine, though. The hardware itself is just fantastic looking.

Yeah joke post. As an aside: you don't think the XB1S scaler is that good? Hm. It's too bad it's so hard to compare scalers. I have a 4K Panasonic from last year, but I'm not sure whether it upscales better than the XB1S.

Sony has, some say, the best 4K upscalers in the TV business. I wonder how their PS4 Pro upscaling will look.

Top Bottom