• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Players Won’t Feel Too Much Difference on Next-Gen Because of Hardware Specs, Says Chernobylite Dev

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

We recently interviewed The Farm 51 Creative Director Wojciech Pazdur on Chernobylite, the STALKER-inspired action/adventure game (currently out on Steam Early Access), and asked him whether that will translate into a meaningful difference for gamers. According to Pazdur, the skills of the developers and the tools used will make more of a difference than the next-gen hardware specs.

I don’t think players will feel too much of the difference just because of the hardware specs, the same as they don’t feel it so hard for the current generation. All will be related to skills in the utilization of the tech and the engines used by developers. Even more, Uncharted 2 was so great on PlayStation 3, which was weaker than Xbox 360, and now Uncharted 4 is even greater on PlayStation 4, but not because this console is stronger than Xbox One. But I’m sure that proper SSD usage will lead us to some groundbreaking changes in development technologies and content production pipelines. And for the last 10 years, I was never so excited as I’m now to grab the Unreal Engine 5 and check what this baby really can do with all our 3D scans waiting to shine on the next generation of hardware.

We also asked Pazdur an opinion on the next-gen controllers of the Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5.

The best thing for me is that these next-gen controllers (finally) will be similar enough with shape to not disrupt my comfort when switching from one to the other. I’m happy that Sony ultimately agreed that the PSX-shaped gamepad is not the song of the future (even if, having not very massive hands, I always felt comfy with PS controller). Hard to say today if the extra features or parameters will play a big role – I was very enthusiastic about the PS4 controller on its release but at the end of the day, all the fancy features didn’t mean a lot to my gaming experiences.

Lukin1978

MqJdiSb.gif

Rikkori

No lies detected.

It's all on the studios' talent now in terms of how games turn out as they have no real hardware limits anymore for game design. I think the gulf between games will widen, because for this generation the major studios were so limited by hardware they had little space to really push the envelope & innovate and so even smaller studios produced comparable games/experiences to those AAA(A) houses. Whether they actually will or not, who knows, but at least there's a chance now.

Reactions: Alx
consider that each generation the power gap gets smaller. Now also take note we had a mid-gen refresh (XB1X, PS4 Pro). 4k is also going to take a lot of resources, and those pristine 60 fps everyone wants. Now there will be a difference, but he's absolutely right. This is said every new generation though, so kind of redundant.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
He's stating the obvious. He's basically saying even if you have the most powerful hardware on the planet, it can only be fully utilized with talented devs and great dev tools. That's why not all devs are equal. That's why some games look and play better than others. And so on. Always been the case.

MastaKiiLA

Do people really make a big deal about switching controllers? It never made a difference to me.
I've had every PS made, and never owned an Xbox. But I've been mostly gaming on my laptop, since I lost my PS+ account credentials and subsequently traded away my PS4. So I've been using an Xbox-style controller, and I'm still not that hot on the switch of analog positions. The controller is super-comfy to hold, but the alternating analogs isn't my cup of tea. For me, that's the real issue. Just holding the controller isn't that big a deal, although I think the Xbox is much more ergonomic than the DS.

Mobilemofo

Code to the metal with consoles. Can't really do that with pc's because of the variables. Push the hardware as far as it will go, then rely on the skills of the devs to get that extra bit.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Do people really make a big deal about switching controllers? It never made a difference to me.
The other day, I had both my X1 and my Nintendo Switch switched on (no pun intended) to test a few image settings on my TV.
I had Amazon Prime Video going on the X1.

I adjusted some settings on the Nintendo console, then I switched to the X1. I pressed the cancel button very quickly to exit the Prime app.
Unfortunately, the “confirm” and “cancel” button on Nintendo and XBox are reversed. So, instead of exiting the app, I ended up renting a movie :messenger_tears_of_joy:

So yeah, I’d definitely say switching controllers can be a pain. (the movie was good though, so no big loss there)

I don't believe it.

I think that, unless you own a gaming pc, you are likely to see a difference when you boot up your first AAA first-party studio game by Sony or MS.

I say that because when I first booted up KZSF, my jaw dropped to the floor at the level of detail and fidelity. And that happened as well when I moved to gaming pc last year and experienced modern games in Ultra.

My point is, console-only players don't quite understand the significant in the differences of quality between the ps4/XsX in comparison to their pc counterparts unless they own a gaming pc - so i'd somewhat safely assume that when they move onto the newer consoles, they'd actually see what they've been missing out on then when the games they play hold much more detail and fidelity in it's presentation.

Top Bottom