• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planet Coaster |OT| The Tycoon King is Dead, Long Live the Coaster King!

MouldyK

-10 mascots including Coaster King, Gulpee Rex, Princess Amelie, Ellie the Sherif... and a mascot created, thanks to an open contest at Frontier, by yours truly, Foxy Coffee, the hipster fox coffee lover with a heart of gold!

So it was you who made the Worst Mascot according to PC Gamer?!

PC Gamer said:
Foxy is a fox, and foxy also means pretty, and I think that's about as far as Foxy's mascot concept goes. I’ve never had any sort of attraction to anthropomorphic animals, so I can't really say I find Foxy particularly foxy—not that she has any reason to care in the least—though I will say her attitude is a bit of a downer. The sense I get is that she is a rather aloof fox, absentmindedly flipping her fur-hair, sipping what I assume is a $47 latte held in her gloved hand, and waving as if she is not terribly interested in being there. "Yes, hi. Hi, or whatever."

I'm a little baffled at the reaction of the guests: a few are cheering and clapping, and at least two people are dancing, all at the sight of a bipedal fox drinking coffee. Maybe they don't get out much.

The Planet Coaster mascots ranked from worst to best

Do you guys think in an update they will introduce the Firework show system from RCT3 again? That was one of the more impressive things from that game.
I dont know anything, but Im 99% sure one of the updates in the future is going to be the mixmaster. Wouldnt surprise me if its part of a big expansion though.

I love that your park feels like it emerged from a forest, like the way a castle might in an old fairytale. Is that a roller coaster that spans the entire park?

Also, this game's lighting is gorgeous.

Thank you! :D There are 2 coaster in that image, but the very long one goes from one part of the park to the other, and its a recreation (not exact, but similar with a whole theme changed) to a real world one called Shambhala at Port Aventura.

So it was you who made the Worst Mascot according to PC Gamer?!

The Planet Coaster mascots ranked from worst to best

lol, well I cant win with everyone. probably hates it because he doesnt like the notion of furries, but I desgned with the basis of a disney character mascot like Daisy Duck walking around the park, and the official artbook says that one of the reasons why she was chosen. And no, her concept was not becuase she is called Foxy, in fact, her name was the last thing I thought of her design, they wanted a modern coffee mascot and I made a hipster fox (and before that she was a 1930's girl teapot, and after that a hipster half octopuss half human) .At the end i chose a fox because I thought the face shape of a fox, and its characteristics as an animal, play really well with modern type city tropes. I also chose it to be female becuase they were no female characters at the time I designed her.

Funny he has the most hated mascot in the game as his favourite (even if I appreciate cosmic cow more now, she is still my least favourite and the only real lover is Johny Watts hahaha), and the 2 mascots done by the community (Foxy, and sunnestich's Tiki) as the worst, even when Foxy, Tiki and Gulpee Rex are always ranking into the favourite lists of the community, the forums and even Frontier's team.
At the end, there is no accounting for taste.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I dont know anything, but Im 99% sure one of the updates in the future is going to be the mixmaster. Wouldnt surprise me if its part of a big expansion though.

Mixmaster would be amazing. You think people make impressive stuff now wait till you get the 30min firework shows in the middle of the park.

Helloween

lol, well I cant win with everyone. probably hates it because he doesnt like the notion of furries, but I desgned with the basis of a disney character mascot like Daisy Duck walking around the park, and the official artbook says that one of the reasons why she was chosen. And no, her concept was not becuase she is called Foxy, in fact, her name was the last thing I thought of her design, they wanted a modern coffee mascot and I made a hipster fox (and before that she was a 1930's girl teapot, and after that a hipster half octopuss half human) .At the end i chose a fox because I thought the face shape of a fox, and its characteristics as an animal, play really well with modern type city tropes. I also chose it to be female becuase they were no female characters at the time I designed her.

Oh you designed Foxy? I think shes great and people in my park love her :D Great job!

Mixmaster would be amazing. You think people make impressive stuff now wait till you get the 30min firework shows in the middle of the park.

Yup, its going to be out of this world when that arrives (if it does of course, but im nearly sure its happening)

Oh you designed Foxy? I think shes great and people in my park love her :D Great job!
Thank you! :D
The only think im sad/laughing about is the rule 34 ive seen of her already. I knew it was sadly going to happen but it surprised me it was so fast hahaha. And even then I suppose that means she is popular enough lol

Corsick

How to you make the chain lift go up in an incline? I select it with enough money and it keeps making a straight and level track instead. This is in the management mode where you have to research everything.

Edit: Nevermind, wasn't dragging the tracks to shape them correctly.

Kabouter

Started on a pirate area (because I love going back and forth between themes rather than finishing one and moving on :p), was pretty happy with how this building with drinks/food/toilets/ATM came out. Was originally just going to have the two shops downstairs, but then I figured I might as well make actual use of the large roof terrace.
20161126122857_1aisbk.jpg

Edit: And I'm noticing in the background that a support for the monorail clips through my bridge, need to remember to fix that.

Kabouter

Started on a pirate area (because I love going back and forth between themes rather than finishing one and moving on :p), was pretty happy with how this building with drinks/food/toilets/ATM came out. Was originally just going to have the two shops downstairs, but then I figured I might as well make actual use of the large roof terrace.
20161126122857_1aisbk.jpg

Edit: And I'm noticing in the background that a support for the monorail clips through my bridge, need to remember to fix that.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=807381914
Workshop link for building above. :)

Kabouter

20161127145841_1hnsjf.jpg

My little pirate-y area of my park. Need to get some more foot traffic there, otherwise pretty happy with it.

Oh, and during daylight:
20161127145222_1ers72.jpg

Comandr

20161127145841_1hnsjf.jpg

My little pirate-y area of my park. Need to get some more foot traffic there, otherwise pretty happy with it.

Oh, and during daylight:
20161127145222_1ers72.jpg

Wow. I love this. I tried to make a pirate bay style area in one of my parks. I created a lake and wanted to do a sort of land mass in the center to build around. After deciding on a sea serpent theme, I started shaping the mountain to look serpentine. In the end, it came out looking like a hippopotamus somehow (shapes are hard), and I just kind of ran with it. When I realized shortly after that the 4m paths that I laid down and then built the entire park around were not NEARLY wide enough to sustain the traffic, I ended up scrapping the whole park; hippo bay included.

It's too bad you can't save certain elements like that. I still haven't figured out how to "Save track with scenery..." ala RCT.

So, I'm not sure how much people mess around with the campaigns, but maybe you guys can help me.

I've never really been one to focus on shops, but one of the campaign challenges requires you to make $6,000 in profit from your shops in one month. I was just wondering if there were any quick and easy ways to boost my shop haul. I've got them all set up in pretty good places, and everytime I find one that isn't profiting, I tweak it until it is, or failing that, demolish the shop and replace it with something else. I'm just wondering if there are any gameplay tricks to boost my shops.

I thought maybe having the Shop Mascot Entertainers might help, but I'm not sure it has. I'm also not sure if putting extra on items, or attracting certain types of guests might help. Just wondering if anyone had any ideas! Thanks.

GeoGonzo

So, I'm not sure how much people mess around with the campaigns, but maybe you guys can help me.

I've never really been one to focus on shops, but one of the campaign challenges requires you to make $6,000 in profit from your shops in one month. I was just wondering if there were any quick and easy ways to boost my shop haul. I've got them all set up in pretty good places, and everytime I find one that isn't profiting, I tweak it until it is, or failing that, demolish the shop and replace it with something else. I'm just wondering if there are any gameplay tricks to boost my shops.

I thought maybe having the Shop Mascot Entertainers might help, but I'm not sure it has. I'm also not sure if putting extra on items, or attracting certain types of guests might help. Just wondering if anyone had any ideas! Thanks.

I'm on the same boat, I think. Even worse, I don't even think training the vendors makes any difference: I set up two shops of the same thing on the same street, one across from the other and the level 1 sold pretty much exactly the same as the level 5. And not even a lvl5 vendor seems to be able to make a profit selling balloons, people simply don't want them (but can't get enough milkshakes).

-edit-

Holy shit, Ridley! That park is amazing, great job!

I'm on the same boat, I think. Even worse, I don't even think training the vendors makes any difference: I set up two shops of the same thing on the same street, one across from the other and the level 1 sold pretty much exactly the same as the level 5. And not even a lvl5 vendor seems to be able to make a profit selling balloons, people simply don't want them (but can't get enough milkshakes).

Yeah, I've given up on balloons. They just don't sell. And I'm not training my vendors because I tried that, but having to pay them more really cuts in to your profits.

StayDead

FANTASTIC path tutorial for all of you struggling (me included!). Explaining and lot of things I didn't know about.
Super helpful, make sure to check it out.

On a side-note - I absolutely adore that the janitors whistle the soundtrack every now and then :D

Thanks for linking this, that's made things 10x easier for me!

Tash

Damn, SPR, that looks so incredibly amazing. I just now also started to add more text and custom signs..

I just uploaded the themed toilet to go with my other custom buildings to my workshop. You can see it in the image below. Can be placed on solid ground or elevated with the pillars.

Je4iJCU.png

I am so freaking slow but I think I am progressing nicely with my quest to bring my new processor to its knees..I am still adding to the first part of my park and am also working on the jungle area. I don't even wanna know how much single props I placed so far..

My problem also is that I can't stick to one area and finish it. I am jumping around all the time because there is so much more detailing to do on everything -.-

fgjh9h7.png

Z6B3QTY.png

1uzoPQE.png

EfKETZi.png

So I jumped on the bandwagon!

Maybe when I get slightly better I'll try my hands at a modern day Nintendoland haha.

I will actually start with that when i have a little more time, want to make it similar to the drawing I made some years ago about it, but taking out the disney parts and going the realistic way with Universal funding (in this case, a park instead of an area like in real life).

Damn, SPR, that looks so incredibly amazing. I just now also started to add more text and custom signs..

I just uploaded the themed toilet to go with my other custom buildings to my workshop. You can see it in the image below. Can be placed on solid ground or elevated with the pillars.

Je4iJCU.png

I am so freaking slow but I think I am progressing nicely with my quest to bring my new processor to its knees..I am still adding to the first part of my park and am also working on the jungle area. I don't even wanna know how much single props I placed so far..

My problem also is that I can't stick to one area and finish it. I am jumping around all the time because there is so much more detailing to do on everything -.-

fgjh9h7.png

Z6B3QTY.png

1uzoPQE.png

EfKETZi.png

You talk about my park being amazing, but yours is no slouch either. I really really love, it has such a distinctive flair and the buildings are incredible. The rice part is so impressive.

Tash

You talk about my park being amazing, but yours is no slouch either. I really really love, it has such a distinctive flair and the buildings are incredible. The rice part is so impressive.

Totally forgot to mention that making the map is so kickass. I love how you did that.
I am most probably already in trouble for asset count and I am not even a quarter done with my park -.- I just now started to work on the jungle part with waterfalls. Not even wanting to think about how many trees and shrubbery I am going to add..

Thanks for linking this, that's made things 10x easier for me!

Haha, the problem is after watching the guide I was so tempted to redo all my pathways and lines. I wish I found that earlier. Learning by doing just means my first park won't be as perfect as I want it to be!

HF2014

Is it easy to pick up and play like Theme Park? I remember having ton of funs playing that old game, was not too complicated. Cause it seriously got my attention.

Tash

Is it easy to pick up and play like Theme Park? I remember having ton of funs playing that old game, was not too complicated. Cause it seriously got my attention.

It literally is as easy (pick it up and start building, make all your parks with the premade coasters and buildings and props) or as complex (create proper layout and custom buildings, do everything from scratch including terraforming, buildings, props and coasters).
Or in another example: I have never EVER played a RC Sim before and while building a custom coaster was and still is challenging for me and I am still getting the hang of creating custom buildings, it was easy to get into at first in challenge mode,even for a n00b like me.

Well, the problem here is that Theme Park is the most simple vanilla management game ever done.
So no, its not going to be as simple as that, and some thing you will need to get the hang of them, but at the end of the day the management aspect of Planet Coaster is on the easy side of this type of game, and the creative side is as complicated as you want it to be.

elyetis

I am missing something or there isn't currently an solution to that problem ?

All I want is this :
Doesn't seems like there inverted slope piece like that, and while the 'free' contruction tool is incredibly good, wall and the like which only work within a grid feel... quite limited.

Going to make a new youtube series called Planet Coaster Museum starting tomorrow, here is a little preview:
planetcoaster2016-11-wiki7.png

I am missing something or there isn't currently an solution to that problem ?

All I want is this :

Doesn't seems like there inverted slope piece like that, and while the 'free' contruction tool is incredibly good, wall and the like which only work within a grid feel... quite limited.

Yup, sadly gridbase are going to stay gridbase.
You can do that though, not with that material, but with the art shapes to recreate something similar.
I always solve this type of probems with out of the box thinking.

Question when it comes to placing Scenery.

I very much enjoy the freedom to place Scenery any which way you want to, but I also enjoy that Building parts and Paths can be set to also work on a more grid-based system, with pieces snapping in to place. I can't seem to do that with Scenery, and I'd very much like to be able to. Like, when I build a Building, it's all well and good, but then when it comes to putting windows on my building, I'd like to have them centered and hanging at the same height, and currently I feel like I just have to eyeball it. Or, when I'm placing some piece of scenery and I'd like to tile an area with it and have each piece of Scenery be placed next to each other with no gap in between, it's just a matter of zooming in as far as I can and making micro-mouse movements to try and get it close. Is there any way to make Scenery snap in place in a similar way to how Buildings and Path can?

elyetis

You can do that though, not with that material, but with the art shapes to recreate something similar.
I always solve this type of probems with out of the box thinking.
Yeah but then it mean changing the entire thing if I want everything to have the same texture no ? I mean I see some alternatives with numerous planks etc which would make a 2 minutes work, a 2 hours one.

It seems like such a strange choice not also put as non-grid objects all the object in the grid mode. I mean I get why there is a grid mode, it's easier to use for simple things, and maybe even take less computing power... but the is a so much stronger system already in the game, just allow it as an option already ( or people to mod them in ).

The Argus

I'm having a new performance issue with the game. Placing items (not just rides) seems to slow my frame rate down dramatically, as does open a item/ride menu. It clears up almost instantly after the item is placed, but makes for placing a lot of props a total chore. Anyone else seen this?

Kabouter

I very much enjoy the freedom to place Scenery any which way you want to, but I also enjoy that Building parts and Paths can be set to also work on a more grid-based system, with pieces snapping in to place. I can't seem to do that with Scenery, and I'd very much like to be able to. Like, when I build a Building, it's all well and good, but then when it comes to putting windows on my building, I'd like to have them centered and hanging at the same height, and currently I feel like I just have to eyeball it. Or, when I'm placing some piece of scenery and I'd like to tile an area with it and have each piece of Scenery be placed next to each other with no gap in between, it's just a matter of zooming in as far as I can and making micro-mouse movements to try and get it close. Is there any way to make Scenery snap in place in a similar way to how Buildings and Path can?

With stuff like windows, try holding f (default key) to centre it on the wall/roof tile you're currently hovering over.

Also incredible looking stuff Tash.

The Advanced Move & Duplicate (ctrl+X) tool will duplicate the item, such as a window, and the duplicate will be in the exact same position as the original. You can then drag it along the horizontal axis with the advanced movement tool keeping it at the exact same height. You can also select multiple items and do the same thing by holding ctrl and clicking them all. That way you can, for example, select all of your first story windows, use advanced move & duplicate which will create an identical copy of them all, and drag them vertically so you have second story windows perfectly aligned with the ground floor ones. Also useful for making big floors with sunken wooden pieces, for example... or anything really that requires big duplicate but precise patterns.

Tregard

Soothsayer
Gah I am so pumped to get this game when I come into some money. I've had this idea I'm quite fond of for a Back To The Future Park with the main hub being 1985 Hill Valley, and then three separate areas you get to via some Monorail with a flux capacitor:

- 1885 Hill Valley (Western Theme)
- 1955 Hill Valley (No idea)
- 2015 Hill Valley (Future Theme)

Gah I am so pumped to get this game when I come into some money. I've had this idea I'm quite fond of for a Back To The Future Park with the main hub being 1985 Hill Valley, and then three separate areas you get to via some Monorail with a flux capacitor:

- 1885 Hill Valley (Western Theme)
- 1955 Hill Valley (No idea)
- 2015 Hill Valley (Future Theme)

Hell yeah! I'm still brainstorming an idea for what I want to base my park on.

Top Bottom