• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planet Coaster |OT| The Tycoon King is Dead, Long Live the Coaster King!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I made a fake small town outside of the park because I had to do something with all these community creations
FBB9166606E896018BAC6227FB6499224F2FF8D0
No one goes past the 7/11

Kabouter

Ok, still working on the same area. Mostly because I learn new things all the time and keep improving on what I have. That is especially true for paths. Right now I am adding custom surface to all my paths..which takes ages of course :p

So here are some updated progress shots:

Looks absolutely fantastic!

Tash

Thanks for the feedback! Coming back here and checking others creations is really inspiring and makes me want to really think outside of the box. I wish you could make "invisible nature" paths. My idea was to use the portcullis as a scenic platform/balcony thing to stand on around the edges of the volcano opening so people can go out there for a thrill view. I had to end up using normal wooden roof tiles instead, though, which is a bit of a shame and not what I had in mind :(.

I've been working on my castle courtyard area in The Kingdom. Learning from that path tutorial, I'm now going square-cornered queues all day every day.

Edit: Also working on optimizing the line of sight when entering the park.

haha ikr - totally using the square corners everywhere now - so much more clean looking :)
That top down shot in the first pic is great. I love how neat the setup looks.

20161123000356_1i7swz.jpg

Built a monorail station for my fantasy area, built it in such a way that I'll be able to copy it and also use it in my Alpine area. Think it went rather well. Not sure if I should build cross-beams to 'fill in' the large squares (in the sections where there is wall, not the open ones) on the portion of the building where the actual station is.

Edit: And actually noticed the street lantern right in front of the entrance queue, forgot to remove that when I moved the path :D. The planter as well :p

Edit: Corrected screenshot:
20161123003055_1goss2.jpg

Would love to see the inside/waiting queue for this.

Finished up my Rapids ride, it didn't take nearly as long as I expected :)

Video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA4ar-1VF6E
Blueprint: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=804611290

magicrapids004smh1sfe.png

magicrapids007ansiz.png

That's a great idea with the lamps and using them in an organic way. Both the Mushroom and flower ones.

Tomorrow im going to record a tour through the aprk and also upload it to the workshop. Glad I could insih it after so many hours fixing it and finsihing the roman part.
planetcoaster2016-11-aejfx.png

planetcoaster2016-11-ivkiv.png

planetcoaster2016-11-38k4b.png

planetcoaster2016-11-jzk46.png

planetcoaster2016-11-ktjog.png

Absolutely fantastic looking as always :) The mix between tidied up queues and pathways and then the buildings is not easy. I am struggling with the general layout quite a lot.

Here's a sandbox park I've been working on. Still very early with only two themed areas, but there's five rides in place, including an inverted coaster, and a few shops/buildings. I like what I've done with the queue for the coaster, it snakes through the terrain to create a creepy and foreboding feeling before guests board the ride.

Link to the entire album: http://imgur.com/a/NcaWG

The pathways through the rocks/mountains look really cool. I bet you can do some nifty things with light/atmosphere there :D
Also, the carousel ride - I love what you did with the scenery/greenery to make it super nested. Looks lovely.

Ontoue

How do you guys sync up your animatronics? I'm pulling my hair out over here trying to get my knights to march in formation, or hold their axes over the gate at the same time.

Tash

How do you guys sync up your animatronics? I'm pulling my hair out over here trying to get my knights to march in formation, or hold their axes over the gate at the same time.

Are you using triggers? I don't think you can actually sync them for the animation unless you use a trigger and those only work on coasters iirc. You could always link it to a random coaster nearby so everytime a car goes through they sync up. actually - you could try to just make a small one near by and try to hide it - not sure if that's possible, though. Then solely use it for the triggers..

Hmm, I gotta test that myself..

prudislav

Maan this game is so mixed bag for me :-O

The designing part of it is incredibly amazing , but on other hand the management / gameplay part is sooo basic and sooo easy even in challenge mod
... which is almost refund-worthy for a person like me who values the tycoon part more and the designing and creative part is just once and done (aka create the dream park in sandbox once and maybe play again if the tycoon part is fine)
Conflicted if I should wait or reefund :-(

Tash

Maan this game is so mixed bag for me :-O

The designing part of it is incredibly amazing , but on other hand the management / gameplay part is sooo basic and sooo easy even in challenge mod
... which is almost refund-worthy for a person like me who values the tycoon part more and the designing and creative part is just once and done (aka create the dream park in sandbox once and maybe play again if the tycoon part is fine)
Conflicted if I should wait or reefund :-(

They are updating the game today with a tougher challenge mode.

Ontoue

Are you using triggers? I don't think you can actually sync them for the animation unless you use a trigger and those only work on coasters iirc. You could always link it to a random coaster nearby so everytime a car goes through they sync up. actually - you could try to just make a small one near by and try to hide it - not sure if that's possible, though. Then solely use it for the triggers..

Hmm, I gotta test that myself..

That might work, I haven't tried it yet but it sounds like it would work. Its a shame if there's no way to manually set the timing of the animatronics, like having the random animation starting point be a checkbox in the animatronic's settings or something, so that you could sync them by just pausing and placing them.

Edit: Being able to add a trigger to a path so that it activates when a guest walks over that tile would be really cool too.

Tash

That might work, I haven't tried it yet but it sounds like it would work. Its a shame if there's no way to manually set the timing of the animatronics, like having the random animation starting point be a checkbox in the animatronic's settings or something, so that you could sync them by just pausing and placing them.

Edit: Being able to add a trigger to a path so that it activates when a guest walks over that tile would be really cool too.

I totally agree. I think it was mentioned before on the official forums. It shouldn't be too hard but it might create performance issue with an already super heavy game if people can add triggers everywhere :)
Especially if there are hundreds/thousands of people. If anything you would have to be super careful and add long cooldowns. Thinking about it now..yeah, that wouldn't be feasible to have guests trigger it by walking by due to performance issues.

Mikeside

Tomorrow im going to record a tour through the aprk and also upload it to the workshop. Glad I could insih it after so many hours fixing it and finsihing the roman part.
planetcoaster2016-11-aejfx.png

planetcoaster2016-11-ivkiv.png

planetcoaster2016-11-38k4b.png

planetcoaster2016-11-jzk46.png

planetcoaster2016-11-ktjog.png

Can you give me some pointers on how you're making the signs with detailed text on them? I can't figure that out at all & it would add so much to my park

Tash

Can you give me some pointers on how you're making the signs with detailed text on them? I can't figure that out at all & it would add so much to my park

You can edit/write on the signs that are in building -> custom -> wallsigns. Add them then click on them again to edit font text and color. All of the ones that are labeled as "editable" but pretty much all the ones that have blank space even if they don't have it in the name can be written on. With that said - I really wish there was support for google font or something. So you get a bigger range than the ones that are there :/

I run into a weird issue. I can't for the life of me figure out why I cannot add water in the second ditch/level for another rice field. It's completely closed but I only get the red marker and can't add any water at all. Anyone any idea?

m6AUQWq.png

Mikeside

You can edit/write on the signs that are in building -> custom -> wallsigns. Add them then click on them again to edit font text and color. All of the ones that are labeled as "editable" but pretty much all the ones that have blank space even if they don't have it in the name can be written on. With that said - I really wish there was support for google font or something. So you get a bigger range than the ones that are there :/

I run into a weird issue. I can't for the life of me figure out why I cannot add water in the second ditch/level for another rice field. It's completely closed but I only get the red marker and can't add any water at all. Anyone any idea?

m6AUQWq.png

Oh I can do the ones that are editable - but in the photos I've quoted he's got one with ride height information etc etc.

like so:

capturefvk1c.png

m6AUQWq.png

Yeah, water placement is really arbitrary. Hope they end addressing that.

Also, is it just me, or is coaster music dynamic? The music I've set to my hybrid coaster matches the lift hills and drops suspiciously well.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Is it just me or do you need a shitload of janitors in this game? I put trash cans everywhere and still, constant littr, puke, whatever.

Kabouter

Judging by the screenshots here it seems like customization of buildings is like Sims?

Mostly, no. I love building houses in the Sims 4 (in fact, it's the only part of the game I really enjoy), but it's way more rigid than the systems in Planet Coaster.

Would love to see the inside/waiting queue for this.
All pathing is external atm, but that's not a bad idea...I might try to see if I can make the queue/exit paths mostly internal. Would look a lot cleaner, particularly don't like the exit path right now.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Still, you're building buildings right? I don't think even RTC series had that. Closest are just "prop walls".

Kabouter

Still, you're building buildings right? I don't think even RTC series had that. Closest are just "prop walls".

Yes, you can build buildings (or just place props that are not part of a building). Buildings are combinations of (hundreds or thousands) of props though.

Tash

You don't have to at all. It's just that some of us really like to create unique/our own buildings/props etc and you can, to an almost insane depth. The fact that they have a really good system helps. :)

Never played the Sims so I can't compare.

Kabouter

You don't have to at all. It's just that some of us really like to create unique/our own buildings/props etc and you can, to an almost insane depth. The fact that they have a really good system helps. :)

Sims has pretty much everything in rigid steps. In that you place walls and objects on a pre-determined grid and objects attached to walls are also on one of several slots on those walls. Only through cheats are you able to place objects in overlapping positions, and even then because of the grid-based nature of placing them, there's limited freedom in what you can actually create.

Tash

Sims has pretty much everything in rigid steps. In that you place walls and objects on a pre-determined grid and objects attached to walls are also on one of several slots on those walls. Only through cheats are you able to place objects in overlapping positions, and even then because of the grid-based nature of placing them, there's limited freedom in what you can actually create.

Oh dear, yeah so the PC is leaps and bounds ahead of that. I like the grid system but I love the fact that you can also place everything pretty much freely.

Vic_Viper

Downloaded this last night on my laptop and trying to transfer it over to my PC but it still wants to download everything again. Anyone know how to fix this? My laptop downloads files so much faster for some reason compared to my PC and I've done this numerous times before with no issues till now

Vic_Viper

Ok got the game installed on my home pc!

Now is there a good place to start to learn how everything works? Is there a good video showing how to get started?

Hip Hop

Update 1.0.1 is out.
559 MB

http://steamcommunity.com/games/493340/announcements/detail/289749803414191761

As you may remember from yesterday's competition announcement[forums.planetcoaster.com], we have a new update coming to Planet Coaster today!

It's live and ready for you to download now. The update notes are below. Don't forget there is a December update on the way too which includes more free content.

Enjoy!

New blueprints
​New shops/facilities blueprints for all 5 themes
New scenery blueprints for all 5 themes
New coaster blueprints

​Added a "harder" challenge mode
​Crash fixes/stability improvements
Optimisations
Bug fixes

Loading an old park will not reset your custom music
Fix black artefacts on HD4000 machines
Fix mouse issues on Windows 10 Insider
Fix heatmaps when a train falls off the track
Fix Priority Pass attendant animation issue
Reduced CPU/GPU usage when the game is minimized
Excitement, fear and nausea values now appear on coaster blueprints tooltip
Tacos icons now appear in Guest Inventories correctly
Fixed lights on dark ride in "The Creature Awakens"
Allow guests to stand at different heights on raised queues/paths
Guests re-equip balloons when leaving rides
Fix issue where control rebinding's were not being reapplied if you cancelled out of a change
Fix harness animation on Canyon Runner
Star Studded Career achievement fix
Guests now enter toilets/first aid centrally rather than clipping into the building
Guests with nothing to do leave the park rather than idling on the spot
Improved performance when editing terrain around water bodies

QoL improvements
​Coaster auto-avoid now ignores terrain when auto-tunnelling is selected
Clicking a notification will now rotate the camera to focus on the affected facility/exit/entrance
Height markers now appear when building downhill more often
Community translations now support overriding the games font, allowing support for East Asian languages where characters were previously not included.
Escape now exits the main menu

satriales

Ok got the game installed on my home pc!

Now is there a good place to start to learn how everything works? Is there a good video showing how to get started?
I haven't watched them but the official planet coaster channel put up some tutorial videos over the couple of days. Also check out Silvarret on Youtube he has started doing tutorials that don't go into controls or anything like that but more how to design a coaster.

OchreHand

FANTASTIC path tutorial for all of you struggling (me included!). Explaining and lot of things I didn't know about.
Super helpful, make sure to check it out.

oooh that was a great tutorial, esp about placing bins to prevent collision. hopefully in the future the developers add collision to props but that's a good work around.

and i don't even have the game yet but i'm taking mental notes

Ive been recording all day the park for the video, it was boring and tedious, tomorrow editing time lol

Made this in the meantime:
000189c94.gif

Its a one day cicle with the whole park in view.

I uploaded a new coaster to the workshop. Flying coaster, nearly 5,000 feet long with 7 inversions. The excitement rating is only 5.54, but that's with almost no theming.

Here's the Steam Workshop link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=805749552

I've also made progress in a few other areas of the park. This is a ruined looking restaurant in the Forbidden Valley section near the front.

And a major flat ride for the Town Center section. I used a building off the workshop, but attached a rear addition to house the ride itself and modified the structure to contain the queue. I named the ride "The Broken Boiler" and tried to give it the feeling like riders we trapped in a overworked boiler that was ready to explode.

Sevenfold

FANTASTIC path tutorial for all of you struggling (me included!). Explaining and lot of things I didn't know about.
Super helpful, make sure to check it out.

On a side-note - I absolutely adore that the janitors whistle the soundtrack every now and then :D

This is amazing. I've been playing for months and learned loads.

Still work-in-progress, but today's major addition to The Kingdom was a western-themed area:

It's anchored on the absolutely masterful Clover Ridge River Run, but I'm pretty proud of the mine train ride I built around it. The climb in the background of the first picture is a chain lift positioned after the ride's initial, thrilling descent through a dark underground passage.

Next steps are a lighting and foliage pass, but those will have to wait for tomorrow.

And a shot of how it's all fitting together:

Oh I can do the ones that are editable - but in the photos I've quoted he's got one with ride height information etc etc.

like so:

capturefvk1c.png

Any idea on helping with this, SPR?

Sorry for not responding you before Mike, was busy yesterday and i didnt read the posts so didnt know you were asking.
So ok that type of sign is "handmade" what i did was using the wooden plank you can write (it under themed signs) put a lot one below the other to make a sign. And then use anothe sign for the top decoration but is behind the others so its only used as a decoraction, not for writting). Then on every plank I wrote something, so for example, on the first plank I wrote the name of the ride with the font of the area (pirates in this case), then the Attention Riders in another plank with red modern font, and then in the rest of the planks I wrote the warning message on a normal black font. The problem is, you can only have up to 16 letters and spaces on ANY sign on the game, no matter how big it is, so you need to get creative in the way of how much you can write on them.

Then in the last plank, the NO red signs are done by hand, using the half circle from the artshapes, and sink it behing the plank to get a thin line.
And actually, I use this half circle to create most of the custom signs in my park, for example the huge port imperialis entrance logo, thats done with the art shapes (its tough and you need to be really creative with them, apart of probably wasting an hour to make a large text), but the results are amazing.

Hope this helps.

m6AUQWq.png

The left wall is too thin. I know this becuase it happened to me when i tried to create the small lakes. You need a lot of thikness in the walls were you want to put water, sadly.

Eh, is actually the same system as in RCT2 and RCT3, just inmensely improved becuase, intead of being inside a rigid world grid with awful collision detetcion for every object, here they made local grids for walls and roofs you can intersect however you want (to create more complex buildings), and then a bunch of building decorations with no colission detection you can move like if you were actually building something on a real 3d program. Thats why is much more versatile than anything on the sims.

Mikeside

Sorry for not responding you before Mike, was busy yesterday and i didnt read the posts so didnt know you were asking.
So ok that type of sign is "handmade" what i did was using the wooden plank you can write (it under themed signs) put a lot one below the other to make a sign. And then use anothe sign for the top decoration but is behind the others so its only used as a decoraction, not for writting). Then on every plank I wrote something, so for example, on the first plank I wrote the name of the ride with the font of the area (pirates in this case), then the Attention Riders in another plank with red modern font, and then in the rest of the planks I wrote the warning message on a normal black font. The problem is, you can only have up to 16 letters and spaces on ANY sign on the game, no matter how big it is, so you need to get creative in the way of how much you can write on them.

Then in the last plank, the NO red signs are done by hand, using the half circle from the artshapes, and sink it behing the plank to get a thin line.
And actually, I use this half circle to create most of the custom signs in my park, for example the huge port imperialis entrance logo, thats done with the art shapes (its tough and you need to be really creative with them, apart of probably wasting an hour to make a large text), but the results are amazing.

Hope this helps.

The left wall is too thin. I know this becuase it happened to me when i tried to create the small lakes. You need a lot of thikness in the walls were you want to put water, sadly.

Eh, is actually the same system as in RCT2 and RCT3, just inmensely improved becuase, intead of being inside a rigid world grid with awful collision detetcion for every object, here they made local grids for walls and roofs you can intersect however you want (to create more complex buildings), and then a bunch of building decorations with no colission detection you can move like if you were actually building something on a real 3d program. Thats why is much more versatile than anything on the sims.

that's great - I can work with that!
thanks very much :)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yes, you can build buildings (or just place props that are not part of a building). Buildings are combinations of (hundreds or thousands) of props though.

Ah, but you can immediately plop premade ones right?

In RCT the walls tiles roofs etc. are separate items whereas in Sims it's more like a "fence" that you can stretch out

Ahh I see, that is more flexible than what RCT has.

Ahh I see, that is more flexible than what RCT has.

Yup, but its foundations are actually the same, its just that for example, old rct walls had windows attached, while Planet Coaster walls are "clean" (just with the texture is themed on, differeing in sizes and shapes, like some of them being archs) and then windows and other decorations are in their own menu, and you can put them on any wall you want (even to the point that you dont need to put them in the middle, you can move them to the side, or even just turn them upside down, or put 3 windows on the same wall). This creates a great way for creating your own themes, instead of being forced to use the premade ones in the way the dev wants. For example you can use a modern window on a western wall, giving some type of futuristic feel. Basically your imagination is the limit here, thats is how somepeople are able to create asian, art noveau, steampunk... in the game and for them to look amazing, while those themes are not actually in.

Yo, SpacePirate Ridley, turns out that if you craft the Planet Coaster badge twice, you get a Street Fox Coffee badge. Just thought that'd be something you might like to know.

Yo, SpacePirate Ridley, turns out that if you craft the Planet Coaster badge twice, you get a Street Fox Coffee badge. Just thought that'd be something you might like to know.

Someone told me that on discord, but thanks for the headsup!
You get it by getting all the cards I suppose no? Never did anyhting with the badges before.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
i played this for one evening, had a pleasant enough time throwing a park together while realising it'll be another six months before this is actually a game and has function to match its form.

looking forward to it.

DMTripper

Bought the game today to play with my daughter mainly in sandbox mode. Unbelievable stuff in this thread, it's a real inspiration!

~Kinggi~

Banned
Do you guys think in an update they will introduce the Firework show system from RCT3 again? That was one of the more impressive things from that game.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Ive been recording all day the park for the video, it was boring and tedious, tomorrow editing time lol

Made this in the meantime:
000189c94.gif

Its a one day cicle with the whole park in view.

I love that your park feels like it emerged from a forest, like the way a castle might in an old fairytale. Is that a roller coaster that spans the entire park?

Also, this game's lighting is gorgeous.

Top Bottom