• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Campaign live on Fig

. Imagine having the job of coming up with all of these.

classnames.png

Let's see, out of my guesses/suggestions in February, I got matches on the following (some of which, I believe, were known at the time I posted):

Psyblade = Fighter x Cipher
Cleric = Fighter x Priest
Herald = Chanter x Paladin
Battle Mage = Fighter x Wizard*
Liberator = Paladin x Druid*

*Definitely previously announced

Right name, wrong classes
Geomancer = Ranger x Wizard (I had Wizard x Druid)
Shaman = Priest x Barb (I had Wizard x Barb)*
Sorcerer = Wizard x Druid (I had Wizard x Paladin)
Warden = Fighter x Druid (I had Fighter x Ranger)
Brawler = Fighter x Monk (I had Fighter x Barbarian)
Hunter = Fighter x Ranger (I had Rogue x Ranger)
Savage = Barbarian x Ranger (I had Barbarian x Rogue)
Mystic = Cipher x Priest (I had Druid x Priest)
Inquisitor = Paladin x Cipher (I had Priest x Cipher)
Zealot = Rogue x Priest (I had Paladin x Monk)
Ascetic = Druid x Monk (I had Priest x Monk)
Oracle = Druid x Cipher (I had Priest x Barbarian)
Mindstalker = Rogue x Cipher (I had Ranger x Cipher)
Shepherd = Ranger x Paladin (I had Ranger x Priest)

Most of these are stolen from D&D, so it's not exactly surprising there would be overlap. There are also a few where my name is a near synonym to one of theirs (e.g., wanderer and itinerant)

I think the only names I suggested that I like better than where Obsidian landed are Marshal (Ranger x Paladin), Jongleur (Rogue x Chanter), and maybe Siren (Chanter x Cipher)

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Been playing original sin 2 and can't help but feel underwhelmed by this game in comparison. I hope they re-examine their design in comparison to DOS2 and try to offer a deeper game with more meaningful role playing. And voice acting.

Mivey

Been playing original sin 2 and can't help but feel underwhelmed by this game in comparison. I hope they re-examine their design in comparison to DOS2 and try to offer a deeper game with more meaningful role playing. And voice acting.
Very different games in their specific design goals.
Divinity has a classless, everything goes, approach, that also allows you to change your specs, if you realize something doesn't work. Pillars if heavily focused on classes, which each of them feeling different depending on how to invest into stats. A Barbarian with focus on Might, will feel different to play than one with focus on Intellect, for example.
Also the pen and paper freedom of Divinity, being able to place objects, elementary interactions, cursed/blessings, would be hard to put into Pillars without redesigning pretty much the entire game.
Honestly, I feel Obsidian should refine their sequel based on the impression of people who did enjoy the first one. That's what Larian did with DOS2 after all. Just copying what is successful leads to bland and boring experiences. Not everyone has to like it, that's okay.
Voice acting is probably a question of money, Larian made a lot of cash from Original SIn. Obsidian should focus on making a better game, imo, not bankrupt themselves.

Anno

Have they done anymore info on the stories of the companions yet?

Nothing on their stories to my knowledge. We do know two of the original four proposed sidekicks are out, replaced with two others we don't know anything about. I think the two Vailians in the portrait tweets are the new ones.

Honestly, I feel Obsidian should refine their sequel based on the impression of people who did enjoy the first one. That's what Larian did with DOS2 after all. Just copying what is successful leads to bland and boring experiences. Not everyone has to like it, that's okay.

Indeed. Larian has their thing and it's good, Obsidian should continue pursuing their own design. Obviously the two will take cues from each other but I want them to remain their own distinct thing.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Very different games in their specific design goals.
Divinity has a classless, everything goes, approach, that also allows you to change your specs, if you realize something doesn't work. Pillars if heavily focused on classes, which each of them feeling different depending on how to invest into stats. A Barbarian with focus on Might, will feel different to play than one with focus on Intellect, for example.
Also the pen and paper freedom of Divinity, being able to place objects, elementary interactions, cursed/blessings, would be hard to put into Pillars without redesigning pretty much the entire game.
Voice acting is probably a question of money, Larian made a lot of cash from Original SIn. Obsidian should focus on making a better game, imo, not bankrupt themselves.

I didn't say the should copy divinity, obviously they are two different games. I'm actually saying that they need to re-examine the improvements or "growth" in this sequel similar to how improved divinity 2 in comparison to part 1. This sequel to me doesn't feel as improved right now in comparison to poe1. Just adding more classes or multi classing is not where I want them to go with a sequel. I hope they will have a much better story, more meaningful and daring choices and consequences, expanded content, and more interesting progression.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I didn't say the should copy divinity, obviously they are two different games. I'm actually saying that they need to re-examine the improvements or "growth" in this sequel similar to how improved divinity 2 in comparison to part 1. This sequel to me doesn't feel as improved right now in comparison to poe1. Just adding more classes or multi classing is not where I want them to go with a sequel. I hope they will have a much better story, more meaningful and daring choices and consequences, expanded content, and more interesting progression.
This is a worthless checklist. Just do more better. Also voice acting is a worthless expense Obsidian shouldn't waste their budget on

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
This is a worthless checklist. Just do more better. Also voice acting is a worthless expense Obsidian shouldn't waste their budget on

It's not a checklist, I'm not the one designing the game. If you don't understand the basic message I'm trying to convey then I don't know what to tell you.

Sounds to me that you're content with what they are doing, which is ok.

Anno

I mean they've talked about all those things being important goals of this sequel. Josh has talked quite a bit about focusing on more reactivity, both to choices in this game as well as carrying over from the first. Factions will be much more important and dynamic, being likened more to something like New Vegas. The world will be more open for exploration and discovery rather than following a very strict path. Obviously no one knows until it launches what will come of it all, but I don't think you need to worry about them not trying.

And stuff like multiclassing and subclassing is important to the breadth of roleplaying, so I don't see why you're discounting it.

Paches

I thought that way as well when we learned that D:OS2 would have it, but it really helped, at least myself, engage with the story and characters way more than I thought it would.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
I mean they've talked about all those things being important goals of this sequel. Josh has talked quite a bit about focusing on more reactivity, both to choices in this game as well as carrying over from the first. Factions will be much more important and dynamic, being likened more to something like New Vegas. The world will be more open for exploration and discovery rather than following a very strict path. Obviously no one knows until it launches what will come of it all, but I don't think you need to worry about them not trying.

And stuff like multiclassing and subclassing is important to the breadth of roleplaying, so I don't see why you're discounting it.

Yup, and he recently tweeted about DOS2 lighting a fire under their butts. I'm hoping this really galvanises them to put a lot effort into improving the game.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
I thought that way as well when we learned that D:OS2 would have it, but it really helped, at least myself, engage with the story and characters way more than I thought it would.

Yes I was going to say the same. I was always the one saying voice acting is unnecessary in those isometric crpgs, but it really made a huge difference in DOS2. I think this only works when the writing and the voice acting is top notch, so it can backfire big time too.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member

What's worthless for some, is invaluable for others.

I lose interest after ~40 hours it seems in games where I have to read everything, no matter how good they are: I blame youtube/internets/genY/clouds etc.

DOS2 is a godsend of an RPG, emulating their focus on voice acting would boost my hype for PoE2 a thousand-fold.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
It doesn't matter to me. Shadowrun Dragonfall still has by far the best story and party of any of the new indie rpgs and thats completely voiceless.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I want either full VO or none at all. One of the few major complaints I have with PoE and Tyranny is the rather random and inconsistent use of VO for conversations. Some seemingly very critical and important interactions would remain dead silent, or cut out halfway through, while other seemingly less important conversations would be fully voiced.

It's a major cost, but I think it's money well spent and I think they realize it too as doubling the VO was a stretch goal in this campaign. I'm fine if faceless NPCs don't have VO, but if they have a portrait or play a role in a quest that is more than just a paragraph of lines they should be voiced fully.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I prefer voice on the initial lines in the conversation and fully voiced dialogue would get in the way of the way games like Pillars or Shadowrun weave descriptive text with dialogue. Something I think when done right is worth more than good VA

Kimaka

The way PoE does voice over is almost perfect to me. The first few lines gives me an indicator on how the NPC sounds so when I read the the voiceless lines I hear their voice in my head. I often skip lines in voiced games after a while since I read faster than the voice over.

The one thing I would change is to not have voice acting after the introductory text. I didn't like the instances of voice over in between silent text.

Anno

The one thing I would change is to not have voice acting after the introductory text. I didn't like the instances of voice over in between silent text.

Yeah this was kinda annoying. I'm glad they've talked about being more cognizant of that this time around.

Mivey

Great writing might be elevated by voice acting, but at the same time, I feel it is something I can easily live without. The Trails in the Sky games have made this clear for me. Really great writing and interesting characters, pretty much 0 voice acting, the only exception are a few voices in the combat.
I personally feel that PoE, especially in the White March expansion, did a great job using voice acting for important story moments. They already doubled the amount they wanted to to do for PoE2 based on a stretch goal. Going for complete voice acting might easily double their VA budget, considering how much writing there was in PoE1. That's not a justifiable expense for Obsidian, Larian can afford this better, with their recent successes.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
The way PoE does voice over is almost perfect to me. The first few lines gives me an indicator on how the NPC sounds so when I read the the voiceless lines I hear their voice in my head. I often skip lines in voiced games after a while since I read faster than the voice over.

For me what was annoying in POE is that there was descriptive text in-between voice acted lines. So the NPC would be talking and I'd be reading what he is saying and then there would be some descriptive text thrown in there while the NPC is still talking, which ends up desyncing what you're reading and hearing. This may seem like a small issue but it really annoyed me. I hope they don't do this in the sequel.

Durante

Personally, despite it being generally good, I find myself skipping most of the VA in D:OS2 in longer dialogues.
As such, I agree that it's a luxury you should really only spend money on after you've taken care of everything else you could possibly do and still have some left over.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Part of me actually thinks, in light of custom VO for everyone, I might prefer a single narrator doing it all like audiobooks have.

It would be a ton of work, but with a really talented VA like some of the better audiobooks have it could be pretty cool and create a very unique feel for the game. Would be kind of an odd shift mid franchise, but I could live with that.

Alternatively you could mix it up and still have companions and certain major story characters have their own unique VO, or have the narrator only voice the non dialogue parts and then use partial opening lines only VO to set the tone and character of NPCs. I'd especially love for the scripted interactions, which I want there to be far more of this time around, to have some great narrator accompanying them. But they of all things likely won't have anything at all.

With a few exceptions (basically just the party members) I didn't care for the casting and voice direction n PoE. Frequently I didn't feel like the voice matched the character and the performances weren't great either.

If PoE2 is going to have the same quality then I would vote no to additional voice acting. It was a harm more than an asset for that game IMO.

For me what was annoying in POE is that there was descriptive text in-between voice acted lines. So the NPC would be talking and I'd be reading what he is saying and then there would be some descriptive text thrown in there while the NPC is still talking, which ends up desyncing what you're reading and hearing. This may seem like a small issue but it really annoyed me. I hope they don't do this in the sequel.

This is a big issue as well. Unless they change the way they do the writing and/or at least make sure they force a pause in those passages.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
They already plowed a bunch of money into POE2 and the crowdfunding was almost entirely to enhance various aspects of the game and add more content.

Crowdfunding itself is also a value all its own. A great many companies have returned to crowdfunding even if they financially did not need to because of everything else it brings. The exposure from it is incredibly important and when you have something like PoE which was one of the most successful Kickstarter campaigns ever that goes a long way. They garnered a great deal of press coverage all throughout development and into the launch, not to mention all of the backers and individuals following the development, giving feedback through the beta and just talking it up across the internet went a long way.

On top of that they are now the most successful Fig campaign ever too and they managed to actually raise more money than the first game did by over half a million. That's the kind of marketing and accolades you just can't pay for or get from traditional self funding/publishing or by getting support from a traditional major publisher.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Part of me actually thinks, in light of custom VO for everyone, I might prefer a single narrator doing it all like audiobooks have.

It would be a ton of work, but with a really talented VA like some of the better audiobooks have it could be pretty cool and create a very unique feel for the game. Would be kind of an odd shift mid franchise, but I could live with that.

Alternatively you could mix it up and still have companions and certain major story characters have their own unique VO, or have the narrator only voice the non dialogue parts and then use partial opening lines only VO to set the tone and character of NPCs. I'd especially love for the scripted interactions, which I want there to be far more of this time around, to have some great narrator accompanying them. But they of all things likely won't have anything at all.
A narrator lends a tone that I don't think benefits PoE. It's too grounded for that.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
A narrator lends a tone that I don't think benefits PoE. It's too grounded for that.

Maybe, but I think that largely depends on the framing of the story and the delivery of the narrator. Certainly having a universal narrator voice all characters would be the most difficult and alter the tone the most, but with the right direction and writing I don't see what about PoE that is incompatible. Especially were they to still retain a number of unique VOs for companions and major NPCs.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Maybe, but I think that largely depends on the framing of the story and the delivery of the narrator. Certainly having a universal narrator voice all characters would be the most difficult and alter the tone the most, but with the right direction and writing I don't see what about PoE that is incompatible. Especially were they to still retain a number of unique VOs for companions and major NPCs.

It could be similar to, for example, the Witcher audio books, narrated by a single person but he is really good at characterization.

Taruranto

VA is useless for me, voice key scenes, but everything else is a waste of money you could use for something else (Like beta-testers...). It also severally limits what they can add at the last minute/later.

I don't even understand how people "get tired of reading" in these games, to be honest.

Anno

I'm down for a narrator only if it's grandpa Eder retelling his heroic journey around the Deadfire with the infamous Watcher of Caed Nua to a throng of small children and fluffy animals.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I'm down for a narrator only if it's grandpa Eder retelling his heroic journey around the Deadfire with the infamous Watcher of Caed Nua to a throng of small children and fluffy animals.

His opening of the Deadfire campaign trailer partly inspired my thought of a universal narrator. Though to actually use him would introduce certain questions and narrative requirements to explain things, but they could do a lot worse.

The Wart

His opening of the Deadfire campaign trailer partly inspired my thought of a universal narrator. Though to actually use him would introduce certain questions and narrative requirements to explain things, but they could do a lot worse.

I don't see how this could work. If Eder died in PoE he's dead in the sequel. I guess they could have Matt Mercer using Eder's voice without it actually being the character Eder.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I don't see how this could work. If Eder died in PoE he's dead in the sequel. I guess they could have Matt Mercer using Eder's voice without it actually being the character Eder.

Well I'd personally not pick Eder, or any established character for that matter, but I wouldn't be mad if they did choose him in such a hypothetical situation. Preferably I'd like there to just be some omniscient undefined narrator. Making it an actual character or person within the world to me requires that the story then be shaped and framed within their point of view.

That said just cause someone's dead doesn't mean they're gone in the world of Eora, which might actually come in handy for a omniscient narrator.

Anno

So in news that isn't explicitly Deadfire related but is also definitely Deadfire related Obsidian have put up a SurveyMonkey poll about what people want to see out of DLC and other post release support in their games. Pretty quick to fill out if you want your voice to be heard as they seem to be looking towards the results for what they do going forward.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
The DLC question is interesting. I prefer big add ons most of all but a mixed group or a stand alone expansion like Dragonfall are also appealing.

Anno

Yeah I chose mixed focusing on characters and other content stuff. My assumption has always been that Deadfire will have more piecemeal DLC than the original game just based on their thoughts around the White March. Maybe everyone will ask for beefy stuff and they won't change after all though.

Darktalon

I'm really excited that this is still in development, should be early enough to see what divinity original sins 2 did right and implement.

Altazor

So in news that isn't explicitly Deadfire related but is also definitely Deadfire related Obsidian have put up a SurveyMonkey poll about what people want to see out of DLC and other post release support in their games. Pretty quick to fill out if you want your voice to be heard as they seem to be looking towards the results for what they do going forward.

did my part and filled it out.

EDIT: chose "mixed bag" for the DLC approach. It was difficult to choose, though - 2 big DLCs, the mixed bag approach and a standalone expansion are all good stuff.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I'm for beefy expansions. I don't mind smaller and free DLC, stand alone expansions are cool too, but really I want that all in one. Give me a major expansion that adds in a sizable amount of content and also adds in new improvements and additions to the base game.

Hell I'll take a single big expansion that only has a modest new questline around ~5 hours instead of some ~20 hour White March size addition if they then add in ~15 hours worth of other smaller, but worthwhile, content throughout the base game.

Maybe they can do all that piecemeal and in chunks as some free and paid DLC, but I'd much rather it come all in one major update so as to better ensure their integration into the overall game and so they can implement as many improvements and additions.

Some people don't care for it, but these are still some of the few games I enjoy and can actually replay a few times. So having a massive 1.5 or 2.0 content update really helps and makes it's even more worthwhile to replay the game. I'm fine with starting a new game and not just being able to continue a save if that's necessary.

StereoVsn

Voted for big expansions focused on characters, quests, etc... Small DLCs are fine but they really don't do all that much for a game other then some flavor side stuff. Big DLCs/Expansions are also good point to replay a game.

Ah yes... I did see this email on my phone this morning but didn't have time to fill it out. Gonna do this now.

Sentenza

Wonder if one day we'll get one of these "new CRPGs" able to match Baldur's Gate 2 when it comes to itemization.

No matter how much I'm enjoying Divinity: OS2, that's clearly an an area where it still isn't anywhere near to match the classic.

Anno

Wonder if one day we'll get one of these "new CRPGs" able to match Baldur's Gate 2 when it comes to itemization.

No matter how much I'm enjoying Divinity: OS2, that's clearly an an area where it still isn't anywhere near to match the classic.

This is actually one of the things I'm most optimistic about going into Deadfire, both based on what they've talked about regarding changes to itemization and the pretty significant leap just between vanilla Pillars and White March. I'm very curious to see what the new unique items looks like, Soulbound especially. So far they haven't outright said no to the item I proposed as part of my Fig backing and it's a pretty big change from the first games items. Maybe they haven't even looked at it, I dunno, but I'm happy they haven't said, "No, try again" yet lol.

Varna

So I'm like doing my best to avoid any spoilers at all...

I have put well over 450 hours into Pillars of Eternity but I haven't actually beaten the game (I play for 2/3 of the game just trying different things).

Can someone summarize the main gameplay changes they are going with for this one?

Top Bottom