• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Campaign live on Fig

[tweet]https://twitter.com/WorldofEternity/status/907668599703191552[/tweet]

Looks like the multiclass update is next week some point. I know they've filmed a video for it, so it's going to be a big one. Presumably they'll show us the system in game?

Anno

Update 40 is out - Multiclassing Part 2. Too much to copy/paste into here coherently on mobile. tl;dr 3E style is out, 2E style is in. Multiclassed characters end up with loads of abilities but at later levels and can't access the top power level.

Here is the accompanying video where Josh talks about the what's and whys and shows off some gameplay. I think we should all agree that the pre-alpha UI looks like a major improvement.

If someone else has the time it might be worthy of a new news/new thread with all the information presented well. If not I'll look into it when I get home of people think it's worthy.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Update 40 is out - Multiclassing Part 2. Too much to copy/paste into here coherently on mobile. tl;dr 3E style is out, 2E style is in. Multiclassed characters end up with loads of abilities but at later levels and can't access the top power level.

Here is the accompanying video where Josh talks about the what's and whys and shows off some gameplay. I think we should all agree that the pre-alpha UI looks like a major improvement.

If someone else has the time it might be worthy of a new news/new thread with all the information presented well. If not I'll look into it when I get home of people think it's worthy.

Here's a link to the post where Josh explains the mutliclassing changes in-depth:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/93848-update-40-multiclassing-part-ii/

So for folks familiar with Baldur's gate, it's similar to the multi-classing avaialble to all non-human characters, but the human-style dual-classing from one class to another is not an option (which honestly is fine since that lead to most of the totally unbalanced builds anyway).

Anyway I'm sure I'll end up as one of the Chanter multiclasses. They seem to lend themselves to mixing with other classes very well.

Massicot

. Imagine having the job of coming up with all of these.

classnames.png

Neat, looks like my character is gonna become a Shifter Druid. Hope there's no other restrictions on spells than no casting while shapeshifted.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
The mutli and subclassing options look crazy. This game has the potential to have some serious legs when it comes to multiple playthroughs.

ResourcefulStar

Neo Member
Hierophant is a really strange choice for the Cipher/Wizard multiclass. Neither class has any divine flavor to it, and ἱεροφάντης literally means something along the lines of "one who makes holy things apparent".

Massicot

Hierophant is a really strange choice for the Cipher/Wizard multiclass. Neither class has any divine flavor to it, and ἱεροφάντης literally means something along the lines of "one who makes holy things apparent".

I was actually talking to Josh during E3 about coming up with these. He said that there was a lot of times where he would initially come up with what he thought was good title for a certain combination, and then he would reconsider and have it moved to a another that he felt would be a better fit. I wonder how set in stone those are.

Anno

I wonder how a Shattered Pillar monk (wounds from DPS) stacks with a Cipher. Gain full wounds and focus on each strike? Half and half? Subclassses aside that was likely gonna be my first character.

Giolon

LMAO how many takes did the intro to this video take to make. I'm fucking dying.

Also, oh my god the character models are looking fantastic. I didn't expect this much improvement compared to the first game (in which they were fine, but here they look good).

Anoregon

I wonder how a Shattered Pillar monk (wounds from DPS) stacks with a Cipher. Gain full wounds and focus on each strike? Half and half? Subclassses aside that was likely gonna be my first character.

I imagine they work independently of each other, so you would get full focus and wounds per hit as if you were a pure monk or cipher of that level.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Great change. I *HATE* 3e multiclassing so I'm real happy about this.

adj_noun

. Imagine having the job of coming up with all of these.

classnames.png

Oooh, let's see how close I got with chanters.

I'll try my favorite class, Chanter.

Chanter +

Barbarian = Grunter

Cipher = Earworm

Druid = Fox Speaker

Fighter = Heavy Metal

Monk = Chatterboxer

Paladin = Oathshouter

Priest = Litany

Ranger = Bard :D

Rogue = Plagiarist

Wizard = Soothsayer

Aw, nuts.

I still maintain chanter/rogue should have been Plagiarist.

Kimaka

Their video updates are so much like corporate training videos. I love them.

The ui is looking snazzy and more responsive which hopefully stays that way once it releases. Poe got really sluggish at times.

Oooh, let's see how close I got with chanters.

Aw, nuts.

I still maintain chanter/rogue should have been Plagiarist.

I prefer your idea of Chanter/Ranger being Bard over Wildrhymer too.

Anno

Also it goes without saying that Eder will immediately become a Hunter with the Stalker specialization and maybe Devoted? A man dedicated to both his weapon and his faithful hound.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
God damn this game is really looking amazing. Those character models and menus look outstanding and the multiclassing sounds great. I also love the cheese of these videos, normally this type of thing sucks but Sawyer and co actually make it endearing.

Also diid anyone else irrationally come to the conclusion they were trying to drop some hints with the Tim Cain cameo and the Pip-Boy use?

Altazor

Man, the (pre-alpha) UI is looking so damn nice. The improved models and effects too.

And, yeah, the new multi-classing seems really fucking promising.

Labadal

This is by far my favorite update for the game. There are what, like 1000+ class combos? That is if you include subclasses, of course. I already have a few combos that I am interested in.

Giolon

This is by far my favorite update for the game. There are what, like 1000+ class combos? That is if you include subclasses, of course. I already have a few combos that I am interested in.

By my calculations, 1117 combinations (50 choose 2 minus 15 specific prohibited combinations between Paladins and Priests, minus 93 classes multiclassed with any of their own subclasses (4 choose 2 for 8 classes and 6 choose 2 for 3 classes)

Fuck yes, 2E multiclassing!

3E is just too much bullshit. It's odd how after playing a lot of DOS2 the past week I'm EVEN MORE excited to play Deadfire. It's great and all but I must return to the RTWP world I belong to.

Giolon

When is this expected to be released?

Q1 2018 is what the Fig campaign advertised, but I have no idea if hitting all those stretch goals or other schedule changes have delayed the game. I do know they started the crowdfunding further along in development this time than the first game, so it may still be true!

Irobot82

Q1 2018 is what the Fig campaign advertised, but I have no idea if hitting all those stretch goals or other schedule changes have delayed the game. I do know they started the crowdfunding further along in development this time than the first game, so it may still be true!

Plus they aren't building all their tech from scratch, just updating it.

StereoVsn

Man, mukticlassing options bring back that BG2 feel and that's excellent. The graphics and these changes are really looking good. Here is to hoping the game will turn out as good as Divinity OS2.

The character models looks like a step up from the first game, even in pre alpha. All that options for multiclass will make so hard for me to what to choose. XD

Are they planning to do a beta test this time out?

The character models looks like a step up from the first game, even in pre alpha. All that options for multiclass will make so hard for me to what to choose. XD

Production values are so much nicer this time out. I already thought PoE looked fantastic but they have really stepped things up. I also like the changes to spell effects, animations, and pacing- it makes combat more visually comprehensible than in PoE.

Arulan

Hah, I voted for AD&D 2nd Edition multi-classing in the initial twitter poll. I do think 3rd Edition multi-classing allows for more flexibility, and is a few steps towards how you build characters in classless systems (Divinity: Original Sin 2 for example)...

sawyer.gif

, but I feel AD&D 2nd Edition might be a better fit for Pillars of Eternity. I don't believe it was mentioned in the video, but you'll still be able to shift focus from one class over the other via general feats.

The subclasses look amazing as well. Paladins and Priests are really going to live up to the promise of the first game with the varying deities and orders.

Paladin

Bleak Walkers - Flames of Devotion (Remember Rakhan Field) generates black flames and does Corrode damage. Healing given and received is reduced. - Cannot multiclass with priests of Eothas, Berath, or Skaen.
Darcozzi Paladini - Lay on Hands (Flames of Darcozzi Palace) creates a flame shield around the paladin. Lower Zeal power. - Cannot multiclass with priests of Berath, Magran, or Skaen.
Goldpact Knights - Sworn Enemy (Gilded Enmity) creates protective gold armor on the paladin. Cannot learn Zealous Auras. - Cannot multiclass with priests of Magran or Wael.
Kind Wayfarers - Flames of Devotion (Sword and the Shepherd) heals nearby allies. Does less damage against enemies vulnerable to Sneak Attack. - Cannot multiclass with priests of Berath, Magran, Wael, or Skaen.
Shieldbearers of St. Elcga - Lay on Hands (St. Elcga's Grace) prevents the target from being knocked out for a short duration. Cannot use Lay on Hands on self. - Cannot multiclass with priests of Skaen, Magran, or Wael.

Priest

Berath - Can learn Decay spells from the druid list, cannot learn Condemnation spells. - Cannot multiclass with Bleak Walker, Kind Wayfarer, or Darcozzi paladins.
Eothas - Can learn Elemental spells from the druid list, cannot learn Protection spells. - Cannot multiclass with Bleak Walker paladins.
Magran - Can learn Fire spells from the wizard list, cannot learn Restoration spells. - Cannot multiclass with Shieldbearer, Kind Wayfarer, Goldpact, or Darcozzi paladins.
Skaen - Can learn rogue offensive abilities as priest spells, cannot learn Inspiration spells. - Cannot multiclass with Shieldbearer, Bleak Walker, Kind Wayfarer, or Darcozzi paladins.
Wael - Can learn Illusion spells from the wizard list, cannot learn Punishment spells. - Cannot multiclass with Shieldbeaer, Kind Wayfarer, or Goldpact paladins.

The interface design is really starting to come together too.

bIpWYIN.jpg

And I'm really excited by increase in number of skills.

Anno

I wonder if some of the passive skills are only for speech checks or if they all have some kind of mechanical purpose. Like what mechanic would History or Metaphysics get you? It's also odd to see both Alchemy and Herbalism. I'm guessing alchemy might be more for explosives than potions.

ResourcefulStar

Neo Member
I wonder if some of the passive skills are only for speech checks or if they all have some kind of mechanical purpose. Like what mechanic would History or Metaphysics get you? It's also odd to see both Alchemy and Herbalism. I'm guessing alchemy might be more for explosives than potions.
Herbalism probably allows you to get ingredients by harvesting plants.

Anno

Some more news: Deadfire will not be published by Paradox, but rather by Versus Evil. They've previously published a number of small indie games on Steam, the Banner Saga series chief among them. So this is certainly a step up for them.

Press Release said:
Independent games publisher Versus Evil today announced its partnership with Obsidian Entertainment to publish Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire. The sequel to the critically acclaimed, award-winning RPG Pillars of Eternity, will launch on Windows PC, Mac and Linux in early 2018.

“Pillars of Eternity and Obsidian are practically synonymous with quality RPGs and we couldn’t be happier to work with their team and their community in supporting Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire”, said Steve Escalante, General Manager of Versus Evil. “The sequel builds on the massive critical success of the first game and will be one of the premier RPGs to launch in 2018. Fans of the franchise will be thrilled with everything that this sequel has to offer, and newcomers to the Pillars universe will get to experience a technically superior RPG adventure with a more meaningful companion system, deep progression mechanics and uniquely rich storyline for the first time.”

For its part, Obsidian Entertainment CEO Feargus Urquhart said: “We are thrilled to be working with the team at Versus Evil on Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire, the first sequel we’ve ever made into one of our own IPs. Partnering with a team that is as passionate as we are about making Pillars of Eternity outstanding has already been such a gratifying and exciting experience. We know that Steve and his team will treat Deadfire right and help us make it the game that our incredible fans and generous backers expect and deserve.”
In Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire, players embark on a dangerous voyage of discovery as they hunt down a god to save their own souls. Building on the award-winning gameplay of the first Pillars of Eternity, every aspect of Deadfire has been improved and expanded. Vastly more detailed graphics, deeper game mechanics, increased player choice and reactivity, a new companion relationship system, streamlined combat, and an entirely new, hand-crafted adventure make Deadfire the ultimate cRPG experience.

Players travel the far-flung region of the titular Deadfire Archipelago by ship, where they will discover new races, visit exotic islands, defend their ships against pirates, and, most importantly, choose their allies carefully, as there are powerful factions to encounter at nearly every port.

Thoughts?

Utter speculation on my part: Obsidian will handle even more of the traditional publishing duties than the first time around as they have expressed interest in self-publishing or publishing others and these guys are just cheaper to handle the rest of it. Plus presumably Obsidian is confident that they're good.

Massicot

Some more news: Deadfire will not be published by Paradox, but rather by Versus Evil. They've previously published a number of small indie games on Steam, the Banner Saga series chief among them. So this is certainly a step up for them.

Thoughts?

Utter speculation on my part: Obsidian will handle even more of the traditional publishing duties than the first time around as they have expressed interest in self-publishing or publishing others and these guys are just cheaper to handle the rest of it. Plus presumably Obsidian is confident that they're good.

Interesting. The partnership with Paradox seemed strong and allowed them to hold onto control of the IP. Wonder what the impetus was for switching.

ResourcefulStar

Neo Member
I expect Paradox to publish a different Obsidian game in the near future. Paradox had paid for the trip that led to all those Obsidian articles appearing on Eurogamer recently. There must be a reason why they're interested in promoting the company.

Labadal

I expect Paradox to publish a different Obsidian game in the near future. Paradox had paid for the trip that led to all those Obsidian articles appearing on Eurogamer recently. There must be a reason why they're interested in promoting the company.
They had an expansion for Tyranny that released during that period. I'd like to think that there is something more to it, but I am a die hard pessimist.

Anoregon

It's odd how after playing a lot of DOS2 the past week I'm EVEN MORE excited to play Deadfire. It's great and all but I must return to the RTWP world I belong to.

I hear ya man. I'm actually getting really into DOS2 after not playing the first much at all, but this recent update has me yearning to get back to that sweet Baldur's Gate-inspired deliciousness, for it is where my heart truly lies.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I'm trying to get this, but it won't let me select country during the shipping part of checkout. Does anyone have any suggestions? It just says select country and when I go to put the information in, it defaults back to select country. It doesn't do this for any other field.

Anno

I'm trying to get this, but it won't let me select country during the shipping part of checkout. Does anyone have any suggestions? It just says select country and when I go to put the information in, it defaults back to select country. It doesn't do this for any other field.

You mean on the Obsidian slacker backer portal? Don't know what the issue is but there's a contact button there on the front - maybe send them a message? They updated the website today so maybe something broke in the process.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
You mean on the Obsidian slacker backer portal? Don't know what the issue is but there's a contact button there on the front - maybe send them a message? They updated the website today so maybe something broke in the process.

Yeah, that's what I'm doing now. I'm just going to send a message to their support. I wasn't sure if this was a known issue or not and if there were any fixes already known. Guess not haha

The Wart

Interesting. The partnership with Paradox seemed strong and allowed them to hold onto control of the IP. Wonder what the impetus was for switching.

My only guess is that Paradox wanted to increase their level of involvement in and control over the IP, whereas Obsidian wants to keep it entirely their baby and don't want any other companies being too closely affiliated with it.

So they went to Fig to get away from publishers, only to sign with a publisher. I'll be skipping this game it seems then, publishers ruin CRPGs, they all said the genre was dead and dumbed it down as a result.

Anno

So they went to Fig to get away from publishers, only to sign with a publisher. I'll be skipping this game it seems then, publishers ruin CRPGs, they all said the genre was dead and dumbed it down as a result.

This seems like a weird take. They went with Fig because they thought they would raise more money there and because Feargus is a member of the advisory board. And there's no way that Versus Evil is making gameplay decisions on Deadfire if Paradox wasn't on the first game. They are there for distribution and marketing just like Paradox was last time. Virtuallly everything about the game is set to be more complex than the first which was already a pretty dense cRPG.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

This is such a strange post.

It's not a regular publishing deal, it's a distribution deal. They have no input into the game, they are just producing and distributing the retail copies and physical kickstarter rewards. It's the exact same situation the first game had with Paradox, Divinity OS had with Focus, Wasteland 2 had with Deep Silver and Torment had with Techland.

It's completely normal.

So excited! I finally finished the first game + expansion and loved every moment of it. I wish I would have the time to go through it again with a new class, but it took me 114 hours the first time. On my play schedule that was a loooooot of months ;)

Even if this were the case, wouldn't it make more sense to make a decision like this after the game was finished and see if it was any good or not?

Eusis

My only guess is that Paradox wanted to increase their level of involvement in and control over the IP, whereas Obsidian wants to keep it entirely their baby and don't want any other companies being too closely affiliated with it.
That makes a lot of sense to me, though if Versus Evil is a "lighter" publisher that might be another reason, just to have tighter reins on publishing and maybe do more in the future there.

Top Bottom