• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Campaign live on Fig

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I think Edér's new portrait looks great. Looks a few years older and wiser, love the pipe and the accompanying animation too.

Quick google search didn't net me anything, but have they stated yet just how many years after PoE Deadfire takes place? All I can find is mentions of "sometime after" and "years later."

Lister

Banned
One of the devs just tweeted that pillars has sold a million copies on Steam!

So it's deifnitely sold over a million thanks to GOG.

More people need to play this game though :)

Arkkoran

Unconfirmed Member
One of the devs just tweeted that pillars has sold a million copies on Steam!

So it's deifnitely sold over a million thanks to GOG.

More people need to play this game though :)

Hopefully the recent Humble Monthly bundle attracts some new people

Anno

Well, now that I've finally had the chance to play the game for a decent # of hours I'd say the systems are not bad, for a RTwP system (at this point I realize even the best RTwP game won't match a half-decent TBed system, for me). The mechanics, while similar to the Infinity Engine games are a noticeable improvement from what I recall.

Main issues:

- Trash mobs. This is practically trash mobs, the game. Holy crap. Even worse than the IE games, and without the more memorial encounters.
- Rest system. Argh. Hate the D&D style spell/skill system that revolves around resting. Particularly combined with the weak encounter design. I notice that there are some "per encounter" skills. Makes more sense given the current design.

Oh, and for shitsakes, allow us to detect traps without being in stealth mode. So annoying.

My other main issues are probably related to the game using a RTwP system, and there probably isn't much that can be done about them.

Also, I hope the level up system is revamped. Leveling up is significant in terms of your power, which is good, but it is largely a passive event, which is disappointing.

Well for what it's worth your three top complaints are being specifically addressed in the sequel. Fewer trash mobs and more tailored fights, almost all abilities being per-encounter and detection working all the time based on your perception and probably some other stuff.

RE: leveling up, I think its more interactive than any other classic RTwP game, so I dunno what else you want. Only time will tell what may be different in Deadfire though.

I think Edér's new portrait looks great. Looks a few years older and wiser, love the pipe and the accompanying animation too.

Quick google search didn't net me anything, but have they stated yet just how many years after PoE Deadfire takes place? All I can find is mentions of "sometime after" and "years later."

I've read "5~ish years" is what they're going for, but I think they also said they're not going to say exactly in the game. It's been a few years and they'll leave it at that.

edit:
"How long is Pillars 1 after Pillars 2? Months, years?"
JS: "Right now we're saying three to five years. It's probably about five years. We're not being specific for various reasons that...why pin it down unless it's absolutely necessary. But probably about five years."
https://www.reddit.com/r/projectete..._of_eternity_ii_deadfire_qa_stream_5/depa5j3/

Here is another piece of art to compare with:

Itumaak looks majestic as fuck in that WM picture, can't believe I never noticed that.

Also Eder is petting him :D

Decado

Well for what it's worth your three top complaints are being specifically addressed in the sequel. Fewer trash mobs and more tailored fights, almost all abilities being per-encounter and detection working all the time based on your perception and probably some other stuff.

RE: leveling up, I think its more interactive than any other classic RTwP game, so I dunno what else you want. Only time will tell what may be different in Deadfire though.
Cool.

Leveling isn't a matter of what kind of combat system used. Most classes don't have a meaningful choice to make at half their level ups. That's pretty weak design, imo. It isn't like you gain 50 levels over the course of the game.

The Wart

Cool.

Leveling isn't a matter of what kind of combat system used. Most classes don't have a meaningful choice to make at half their level ups. That's pretty weak design, imo. It isn't like you gain 50 levels over the course of the game.

Compared to what, though? Certainly not the IE games, which had zero choices on level up unless you're a sorcerer. And like, weapon proficiency I guess.

Altazor

Neketaka's looking amazing. I'm incredibly hyped for Deadfire
and I haven't even finished the first game. I'm just at the point of no return though, so I'm finishing The White March first before tackling the actual last stretch of the game

Also, I love that Edér's love for the animals is sort of his defining characteristic, lol.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I've read "5~ish years" is what they're going for, but I think they also said they're not going to say exactly in the game. It's been a few years and they'll leave it at that.

edit:
"How long is Pillars 1 after Pillars 2? Months, years?"
JS: "Right now we're saying three to five years. It's probably about five years. We're not being specific for various reasons that...why pin it down unless it's absolutely necessary. But probably about five years."
https://www.reddit.com/r/projectete..._of_eternity_ii_deadfire_qa_stream_5/depa5j3/

Awesome, thanks for linking the official line. I figured it would be around there. It's a nice span of time, but not too long.

Mivey

I wonder if the mentioned previous near-extinction of the Huana is due to
the actions of Ondra, hinted at in The White March 2, where it's told that she brought down a moon to destroy the Engwithans, and Abydon first smashed it with his hammer, and then blocked some remainders using himself as a shield.
I think it mentions that some hit the sea and cause a huge tidal wave. That could have hit the Deadfire region and even caused it to become an archipelago.

Decado

Compared to what, though? Certainly not the IE games, which had zero choices on level up unless you're a sorcerer. And like, weapon proficiency I guess.
??? As you say, the IE games are hardly the gold standard in this regard. Good thing there are a hundred+ other RPGs that have been released over the years. Fallout, Wasteland, Divinity, and pretty much any of the more "hardcore" RPGs available utilize more involved systems. Even action RPGs allow for more than "click next to level up" 1/2 the time and pick a skill or two every other level.

I wonder if the mentioned previous near-extinction of the Huana is due to
the actions of Ondra, hinted at in The White March 2, where it's told that she brought down a moon to destroy the Engwithans, and Abydon first smashed it with his hammer, and then blocked some remainders using himself as a shield.
I think it mentions that some hit the sea and cause a huge tidal wave. That could have hit the Deadfire region and even caused it to become an archipelago.

I guess we'll need to watch Infinity War to find out.

I'll be here all week.

The Wart

??? As you say, the IE games are hardly the gold standard in this regard. Good thing there are a hundred+ other RPGs that have been released over the years. Fallout, Wasteland, Divinity, and pretty much any of the more "hardcore" RPGs available utilize more involved systems. Even action RPGs allow for more than "click next to level up" 1/2 the time and pick a skill or two every other level.

I mentioned the IE games because they are the direct predecessor of and inspiration for PoE, so they are the natural point of comparison most people look to. Fallout in particular seems like an odd comparison since the many choices you have on level up are a consequence of the freeform, sandboxy nature of the series, which is very different from PoE. Divinity makes more sense, since it is also combat-focused, but I haven't played it yet so I can't comment.

I am curious as to what action RPGs you think have more interesting leveling than PoE, as I'm drawing a total blank.

I don't understand why Obsidian is making this game, was anyone asking for this after the first POE???

Yes lots of people, the game's Fig campaign has even more funding than the first and the first game was well received.

People like myself want complete RPGs which we really don't get that much of any more due to how few developers create them, Obsidian is also the only studio of this size that is still making RPGs.

A lot of games nowadays just use some RPG elements and call themselves RPGs without having the sum of its parts, for example the only RPGs since New Vegas that actually did ability checks properly like in dialogue has been PoE, The Age of Decadence, and Tyranny (another Obsidian RPG).

Games like The Witcher 3 aren't complete RPGs, everything is designed around Geralt, you always play Geralt, all the interactions you have with him is designed by a team of writers and quest designers, the character is designed. This is why TW3 falls flat in things like ability checks in dialogue because games like TW3/Mass Effect do not need those RPG mechanics because what's the point when everything has been specifically designed around the established character any ways, they don't need ability checks for "what if this character is zealous? or a conniver? or an idiot?". You always play Geralt, you can make him a bit more of a brooding ass, or a little less, but he's still always the same because he has a designed scope - the designers have taken over the role of the player when it comes to RPGs, you don't get to design and roleplay. It's not much different from playing Nathan Drake from Uncharted.

In a complete RPG you can play a lot of different personalities and characters (in terms of skill set like thief) which is why ability scores are so pivotal to building a character which governs it because they support combat, dialogue, and world object interaction. As it is in table top RPGs.

Games like PoE 2, Divinity: Original Sin 2 etc are happening because people want fully fledged RPGs.

TW3 is a fantastic game but it doesn't satisfy the complete RPG experience for myself for example and it's a type of game that seems more popular than fully fledged RPGs today, it's the Bioware-style with Mass Effect, even Bethesda tried it with Fallout 4. It's more RPG-lite. Games like PoE are for those that want complete RPG experiences which honestly seems to becoming a more niche genre when it was once the most popular.

Bluth54

I don't understand why Obsidian is making this game, was anyone asking for this after the first POE???

What kind of question is this? Not only did the game sell very well and get high reviews but the Fig campaign made more than the Kickstarter. Plenty of people were asking for more Eternity, myself included.

Durante

Yes, of course. PoE was an amazing game, and one that had great potential for an even better sequel once they had the technological basis and the setting down.

What a silly question.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

I don't understand why you would be so opposed to obsidian making a sequel to a passion project they poured years of effort into making with dedicated support from fans? What exactly is your issue here?

sleepnaught

Um, well, if you read the OP you'd know they quadrupled their funding goal with over 33,000 backers. So, yes, plenty of people including myself asked for this.

Ladies and gentlemen, do 12 people at once need to answer a dumb question about a crowdfunding campaign that outstripped the already record breaking first outing?

No, I do not think so friends.

I didn't think PoE was particularly great, but it was really good at what it set out to be, which was a retro RPG, and it was an experience that was almost extinct.

Plus, it sold really well. Even if it sold moderately well, a sequel was not unexpected.

You're acting like it was a total bomb.

epmode

Every time I go back to the first game, I get a really noticeable stutter every 20 or 30 seconds regardless of what’s happening onscreen. It’s annoying enough to stop me from playing. It’s especially disappointing after I put so much momey into the campaign.

God, I hope the sequel doesn’t have the same issue.

Yes, it's even better than the base game.
This. White March is where it feels like Obsidian was really starting to get the handle on PoE and 2 looks its completely taking off from there.

I enjoyed the base game a good deal but White March is inarguably an improvement.

Dmax3901

I'm playing White March for the first time at the moment and while I am enjoying it, can you guys elaborate on why you think it's better than the main game?

Anno

I'm playing White March for the first time at the moment and while I am enjoying it, can you guys elaborate on why you think it's better than the main game?

I think pretty much everything is better mechanically. Most importantly better encounters and more interesting itemization. A lot of the spells and talents that come with the increased levels are really cool, too.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
If PoE was Baldur's Gate 1, WM feels like Icewind Dale. Heavly focused, combat heavy dungeon crawler.

WM definitely worth the bucks.

Moff

I finished white march 1 but not white march 2, it's honestly too combat focused for me, I enjoyed the base game way more.

One major thing is they actually start diving into and exploring the world and the gods in depth more instead of just setting everything up like in the base game.

The Wart

I finished white march 1 but not white march 2, it's honestly too combat focused for me, I enjoyed the base game way more.

WM1 is basically a protracted set-up for the narrative payoff in WM2. It uses the world's lore better than anything in the base game, imo. And you can get through most of the story content with very little combat, if you're careful. So if you already own it I'd strongly recommend giving it a shot.

I found the WM stuff to be a lot better, the best way to play for me was to make a bee line for the WM around level 6, and then just do expansion content and bounties. I don't bother with Act 3 anymore, I just consider (spoiler for WM2 ending)
my character drowning in Crayon's Scar to be the canon ending. It fits the tone of the game quite well.

... I don't bother with Act 3 anymore, I just consider (spoiler for WM2 ending)
my character drowning in Crayon's Scar to be the canon ending. It fits the tone of the game quite well.

I thought that was a great ending for my character too but...

The spirits of the dwarves I released from their imprisonment at the end of WM1 were reborn as the Not-Sahaugin and saved me :D It was a pretty beautiful moment actually. Plus I'm not going to give Ondra the satisfaction of dying and her secret dying with me.

edit:

I just sent in the giants to
collapse the canyon because they owed me for resolving their conflict peacefully.

hahaha, you ass. Do the giants even know what you're asking them to do?

I just sent in the giants to
collapse the canyon because they owed me for resolving their conflict peacefully.

Maybe not the most heroic thing to do but hey my MC and his buddies still had a lot more heroing around the world to do and I wanted to carry that over to the potential sequel at the time.

Anno

Kinda bored at home sick so I figured I'd throw together a couple recent revelations from Josh's Twitter and SA account.

On changes to dual-wielding different types of weapons. Sounds pretty rad to me.

He's dual-wielding sceptres...You can also mix them (wand/sceptre, wand/pistol, pistol/blunderbuss) or mix melee and ranged (pistol/sabre, wand/flail, whatever). If you do the latter, you will use the appropriate weapon for whatever range you're at. I.e., if you're close, you'll use the melee weapon. If you're out of melee range, you'll use (only) the ranged weapon.

Here's a video of Aloth's paper doll model showing off new materials and idle animations.

Interesting armor restrictions for Pallegina - hopefully more to come?

DGuk886VYAEtxCK.jpg

paladins of the brotherhood of the five suns may only wear vailian clothing, breastplate, or full plate. anything else drops their zeal...all paladin orders have drawbacks. all healing given/received by bleak walkers is reduced, for example.

Expanding on save importing/creation options:

you can select a save, choose from a list of pre-made endgame states (e.g. "scorched eora"), or set individual states & save (& share) them.

Will we be able to choose who we pushed into the Blood Pool when we select story states in Deadfire?

GOG/Steam saves compatible for importing

To select a save do I have to have both games on the same platform (Steam, GOG) or can I just choose a save file?
you just need to have the save file in a specific folder.

Naito

A little out of the blue, Update #39 has been published!

This time we have the third part of "From the Feed of the Director", a collection of videos
showcasing snippets of the game with "a little something for everyone".

In this video (all footage is work in-progress) :

- "This ship's wheel is too darn big!"
- Bombs of the Deadfire - to throw, or not to throw?
- Guns Work Best When You Line Up and Everyone Shoots at Once, by Ulysses S. Magran
- Dancin' and barfin'
- Yes, Josh's cat is in the game again

Big tease for the next Update ("in a couple of weeks"): Josh Sawyer will explain the multiclassing
and subclassing systems, plus a first glimpse of the multiclass names. Hype!

Top Bottom