• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Campaign live on Fig

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
So I'm like doing my best to avoid any spoilers at all...

I have put well over 450 hours into Pillars of Eternity but I haven't actually beaten the game (I play for 2/3 of the game just trying different things).

Can someone summarize the main gameplay changes they are going with for this one?

The fuck.

Anyway, here are some major changes to gameplay, bolded likely being the biggest changes/additions

• 5 person party limit instead of 6
    [*]Probably altered health system, now Endurance only and wounds, which reduce Endurance 1/4. 4th kills
    [*]Camp supplies out, food now used when resting, which will cure wounds and provide buffs
    [*]Better; ie rarer/expensive, food = better buffs
    [*]Multiclassing and subclassing, at least two subclasses per class
  • Longer casting times generally
  • Retarget spells during casting
  • Most spells/abilities scale to your level/power source
    [*]Keyword system attached to spells/abilities; so water or cold spells counter fire ones, etc
  • Dual wield 1 handed and pistol or dual pistols/wands
  • Empower - per rest set of charges you can use to beef up any active ability like minolettas minor missiles getting several additional projectiles
    [*]Everything else is now per encounter
  • Additional equipment slot for class based trinkets
  • Lots more non Combat skills
  • Pickpocketing in and newer stealth mechanics, vision cones, sound radius
  • Grenades of various elemental and other effects
  • Engagement based on class abilities and equipment properties, not automatic but more impactful
  • More pull abilities for fighters
  • Dialogue no longer freezes game
  • Completely rewritten pathfinding

Probably a whole bunch of other stuff I can't remember or haven't read about yet.

Edit: also some of this might be outdated and or subject to change before launch as some things like the health system aren't totally written in stone.

Varna

I'm just gonna assume that's steam hours from leaving the game on in the background.

Yeah... let's go with that.

I do have a strange compulsion to start these kinds of games over and over again before hitting the "end-game."

Multi-class... hell yeah, my Fighter/Thief from Baldur's Gate will rise again!

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Cool cool. Will be interesting to see how beta backers respond to the new Health/Wound system. Plus the changes to recovery now tied to food and not campfires. I know a lot of people liked the Health/Endurance system, but a lot of others were quite confused by it and found it needlessly complex. This new system is a lot more straight forward but also far less forgiving, at least at first glance.

Not to mention the other changes like Per Encounter everything and the Empower mechanic.

Anno

Cool cool. Will be interesting to see how beta backers respond to the new Health/Wound system. Plus the changes to recovery now tied to food and not campfires. I know a lot of people liked the Health/Endurance system, but a lot of others were quite confused by it and found it needlessly complex. This new system is a lot more straight forward but also far less forgiving, at least at first glance.

Not to mention the other changes like Per Encounter everything and the Empower mechanic.

H/E I quite liked and I don't really see how it was that confusing but I believe Josh and the team when he says that it was. That said he and Bobby have both mentioned they're open to changing it based on feedback, so hopefully that beta is open soon!

The changes to rest I think are great. I like what they went for with campfires in P1 but in the end they just incentivized tedium more than anything. Resting was bad in the IE games too so it's nice to see them continuing to look for something different.

Been playing original sin 2 and can't help but feel underwhelmed by this game in comparison. I hope they re-examine their design in comparison to DOS2 and try to offer a deeper game with more meaningful role playing. And voice acting.
Simply by not being as hopelessly goofy as Divinity, Pillars wins for me. Also I hate hate hate the voice acting in Divinity.

Novel written by Richard Knaack? Ugh. His Warcraft novels were some of the worst things I've ever read.

Edit : another big change - druids and priests no longer get all their spells at level, they will select which they want like a wizard. Also apparently wizards can't learn from enemy grimoires. I am... unhappy with the changes.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Novel written by Richard Knaack? Ugh. His Warcraft novels were some of the worst things I've ever read.

Edit : another big change - druids and priests no longer get all their spells at level, they will select which they want like a wizard. Also apparently wizards can't learn from enemy grimoires. I am... unhappy with the changes.

That kind of sucks. I don't particularly care about Priests or Druids though. Always felt like I never got as good a grasp on their spells like I did Wizards due to having all of them at once. I wonder if those changes are due to the Multiclass system and trying to balance all that.

I like both of these things.

With Priests and Druids especially, having 10 new things unlock regularly was overwhelming, and I'd prefer the choice of picking between them.

Most of the mechanical changes bulleted above appeal to me.

Anno

That kind of sucks. I don't particularly care about Priests or Druids though. Always felt like I never got as good a grasp on their spells like I did Wizards due to having all of them at once. I wonder if those changes are due to the Multiclass system and trying to balance all that.

I think it's more about adding more meaningful item choice. We've seen that elsewhere with Pallegina being restricted in her armor choice if she's still a member of the Brotherhood.

What I hope it means is that they add in more spells that are unlearnable at level up but are particularly strong or unique, like Shadowflame. Now they are bound to the tome you bring into combat so there are downsides instead of it being just the best thing you can cast with a level 4 spell charge.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I think it's more about adding more meaningful item choice. We've seen that elsewhere with Pallegina being restricted in her armor choice if she's still a member of the Brotherhood.

What I hope it means is that they add in more spells that are unlearnable at level up but are particularly strong or unique, like Shadowflame. Now they are bound to the tome you bring into combat so there are downsides instead of it being just the best thing you can cast with a level 4 spell charge.

That would be an interesting dynamic. Would make setting up multiple Grimoires and swapping between them in combat more meaningful too.

It makes some sense lore wise, in DnD clerics and druids receive their spells through prayer as a gift of sorts. Clerics and druids in Pillars cast through their belief and soul power. Am I being petty just because it is a change from my beloved Baldur's Gate?

Yes. Yes I am.

epmode

That update says I should have some kind of omnibus in my Obsidian backer account but I’m not seeing it in my list of products.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Man it's gonna be a long bunch of months theorycrafting all sorts of fun multiclass build ideas waiting for this game to come out

Punch-singer monk/chanter (with monk subclass that has offense-focused wound generation

Dual-wield gun ranger/cipher (assuming DW gun works with ranger abilities, not sure)

Fighter/mage to try to recapture that BG2 kensai/mage feel - Fighter subclass Devoted provides bonuses to a single weapon type (very Kensai) and can pick one of the mage subclasses that would provide the most benefit to buffing melee

2hand Barbarian/Priest of Skaen - Barb with most priest spells and some rogue abilities (from skaen subclass)

aww yiss theorycrafting is my shiiiit

Mivey

Kinda dumb they they are releasing the short stories and novellas as PDF only. Would be nice to have it as an epub file. I can use koreader to get it look nice on my ereader, but having a more native support would be appreciated.

Arulan

That update says I should have some kind of omnibus in my Obsidian backer account but I’m not seeing it in my list of products.

Make sure you've confirmed your pledge. I just realized that I hadn't done it yet. I decided to add-on the signed print too.

I am seeing the Collected Pillars I Omnibus listed now.

Anno

I didn't even notice Ydwin's portrait changing. That's kind of a shame, I really liked Severely Dissapointed Ydwin.

Akronis

Divinity 2 is significantly less goofy than 1.

There's still some levity, but it's toned way down compared to the first one yea. It adds to the game. Not sure why people love super dark serious RPGs all the time. Divinity Original Sin (moreso 2) manages to balance it pretty well and it's a better experience because of it.

Sou Da

There's still some levity, but it's toned way down compared to the first one yea. It adds to the game. Not sure why people love super dark serious RPGs all the time. Divinity Original Sin (moreso 2) manages to balance it pretty well and it's a better experience because of it.
"Tastemakers" decided it so. DOS so far has been the most enjoyable of the crpg "Renaissance" stories because of it's whimsy.

Arulan

I agree. I certainly appreciate a setting that takes itself seriously, if done well, but there is room for something else. I also think it works incredibly well with Divinity: Original Sin 2's design mantra of player-freedom, and the ridiculous course of events that can come from it. Speaking to animals just wouldn't be the same.

beholditisiutpr0.png

KorrZ

I agree that some levity is definitely welcome versus a super grim dark game. I'm playing D:OS1 right now after loving 2, and while it doesn't bother me per say, I do think 2 has the better balance overall and is a better story. Though, that could simply be due to the writing in general being much stronger.

Anywho, about Pillars 2...Really the only thing I want for this game (which I think Josh has already touched on) is better itemization.

The first game was a huge drag on that side of the RPG spectrum, all of the loot was uninspired and boring.

Anno

Anywho, about Pillars 2...Really the only thing I want for this game (which I think Josh has already touched on) is better itemization.

The first game was a huge drag on that side of the RPG spectrum, all of the loot was uninspired and boring.

Yeah they've spoken about this being a pretty big focus and given a theoretical example or two. But even the WM significantly improved itemization over the vanilla game so now with their tech being much better I'm hopeful we get more cool stuff.

RevenWolf

Honestly the goofy tone is what made me fall in love with the Divinity series staring at Eco Draconis.

I picked it up on a whim expecting something very serious. Instead I found a pretty janky rpg with similar tones to Fable, not taking itself too seriously etc.

I was instantly hooked by the relatively unique tone and have played every game in the series since, at least that I'm aware of.

I am happy that POE stays with it's own tone however. I'm loving both series for very different reasons.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Man it's gonna be a long bunch of months theorycrafting all sorts of fun multiclass build ideas waiting for this game to come out

Punch-singer monk/chanter (with monk subclass that has offense-focused wound generation

Dual-wield gun ranger/cipher (assuming DW gun works with ranger abilities, not sure)

Fighter/mage to try to recapture that BG2 kensai/mage feel - Fighter subclass Devoted provides bonuses to a single weapon type (very Kensai) and can pick one of the mage subclasses that would provide the most benefit to buffing melee

2hand Barbarian/Priest of Skaen - Barb with most priest spells and some rogue abilities (from skaen subclass)

aww yiss theorycrafting is my shiiiit

I'm struggling to determine what I want to play as.

I beat PoE twice, first as a Rogue and then as a Monk, as well as a fair bit through as a Cipher and Chanter and I plan to beat it again before Deadfire as a Ranger.

I'm leaning towards Rogue/something, but not sure what. Monk or Barbarian would likely make for a rather devastating damage dealer, but Ranger might be great too with having an animal companion for flanking and inherent Ranger bonuses. Especially if I aim to favor pistols again.

Plus there's the issue of what the companion classes all are as I generally like to fill in the gap they leave open.

Arulan

I'm struggling to determine what I want to play as.

I beat PoE twice, first as a Rogue and then as a Monk, as well as a fair bit through as a Cipher and Chanter and I plan to beat it again before Deadfire as a Ranger.

I'm leaning towards Rogue/something, but not sure what. Monk or Barbarian would likely make for a rather devastating damage dealer, but Ranger might be great too with having an animal companion for flanking and inherent Ranger bonuses. Especially if I aim to favor pistols again.

Plus there's the issue of what the companion classes all are as I generally like to fill in the gap they leave open.

Cipher da best!

I still have to decide if and what I'm going to multi-class.

I really like the Priest class, but there was no way I wasn't going to bring Durance with me (in the first game).

durance16djds.png

Xoti also looks interesting to me.

Anno

Well that much we know (assuming nothing has randomly changed):

Eder - Fighter/Rogue
Aloth - Wizard
Pallegina - Paladin
Xoti - Monk/Priest
Maia - Ranger
Serafen - Cipher/Barbarian
Tekehu - Chanter/Druid

Then the sidekicks:
Chanter
Fighter
Wizard
Cipher/Rogue

Then obviously you can multiclass them all from those starting points to cover whatever you need.

Sentenza

Simply by not being as hopelessly goofy as Divinity, Pillars wins for me. Also I hate hate hate the voice acting in Divinity.
Couldn't disagree more.
I liked the VO in D:OS a lot, especially when talking to animals, where it got genuinely hilarious at time (the dog in the graveyard, the bunny welcoming you with a placing "'Sup, buddy", etc).
I liked D: OS THE MOST when it was "goofy" and I disliked the story precisely every time it attempted to set a more epic tone.
I also found PoE rather dull overall, *especially* in terms of overall tone.

P.S. I'm sure it was argued in detail previously and maybe it got even its own Kickstarter update, but could anyone summarize to me what's exactly the difference between companions and sidekicks in this game?
I mean functionally.

Anno

Couldn't disagree more.
I liked the VO in D:OS a lot, especially when talking to animals, where it got genuinely hilarious at time (the dog in the graveyard, the bunny welcoming you with a placing "'Sup, buddy", etc).
I liked D: OS THE MOST when it was "goofy" and I disliked the story precisely every time it attempted to set a more epic tone.
I also found PoE rather dull overall, *especially* in terms of overall tone.

P.S. I'm sure it was argued in detail previously and maybe it got even its own Kickstarter update, but could anyone summarize to me what's exactly the difference between companions and sidekicks in this game?
I mean functionally.

Sidekicks - Companions similar in scope to PoE1 companions (unique voicework/dialogue, portraits, quest tie-in, maybe ending slide)

Companion - The seven characters who tie into the broad relationship system and are more core to the central narrative of the game.

In Baldur's Gate terms, sidekicks = Mazzy or Cernd, companions = Jaheira, Viconia, Imoen etc.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Have they said anything about if we will be able to change class when we transfer our character over from PoE 1?

Yes, class and attributes will be changeable when importing. Plus character model appearance, but Race, Sex, Culture and Background will remain the same. At least as far as we know, of those four details I'm pretty sure Sex was never a factor in any quest outcome or interaction, so technically there's nothing preventing them from letting players change that.

Top Bottom