• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pete Hines: Indiana Jones (Machine Games) Will be PC/Xbox Only - Will Launch on Game Pass Day 1

Ozriel

M$FT
Waiting for MS to raise Gamepass subs another dollar now Indy is xbox GP day one exclusive.

Yes, they only made the decision today, in the courtroom 🙄

Just read the thread instead of trying to contribute but falling flat on your head, they didn't sign it but chose to break it once they acquired beth/zen.Lots of others pointed it out and explained it, I know that you are eager to defend MS at each and every possible occasion but try to do it good at least.

You’re saying they broke a contract by sitting down with Disney and renegotiating the contract?

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Yes, they only made the decision today, in the courtroom 🙄

You’re saying they broke a contract by sitting down with Disney and renegotiating the contract?

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv
It is indeed breaking a contract even if both parties agreed it is a contract that is no longer being enforced.I broke my bail when I moved out but both me and my landlord agreed to it, the contract was still broken though.It is even called an "rupture amiable" in French meaning it broke 'friendly" that's a rough translation.

Last edited:

midnightAI

Incorrect.
Not in regards to Ghostwire and Deathloop, these were both in development and Sony paid for exclusivity long before the acquisition. A contract would have been in place, they can't just break it. It was cute of MS to say they'll honour the contract, but unless they wanted to be taken to court over it they had no choice but to honour it.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
It is indeed breaking a contract even if both parties agreed it is a contract that is no longer being enforced.I broke my bail when I moved out but both me and my landlord agreed to it, the contract was still broken though.It is even called an "rupture amiable" in French meaning it broke 'friendly" that's a rough translation.

When you renegotiate a contract, you change the terms and still get left with a legally binding contract. Your landlord analogy makes no sense in this context.

Xbox/Bethesda/Machine Games is still in a contract with Disney to make Indiana Jones. just exclusively on Xbox/PC

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
When you renegotiate a contract, you change the terms and still get left with a legally binding contract. Your landlord analogy makes no sense in this context.

Xbox/Bethesda/Machine Games is still in a contract with Disney to make Indiana Jones. just exclusively on Xbox/PC
Just as I was with my landlord but instead of staying another +9 months it became 1 month...Which is a renegociation but is still called a "rupture amiable".

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Well I hope the games good and Microsoft is throwing big money at it to make it special. It could be great.

Tbh, they must and are deffo throwing money at it if they've paid Disney to make it exclusive and on game pass day one. That should incentivise them to make sure the game is the best it can be.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Not in regards to Ghostwire and Deathloop, these were both in development and Sony paid for exclusivity long before the acquisition. A contract would have been in place, they can't just break it. If was cute of MS to say they'll honour the contract, but unless they wanted to be taken to court over it they had no choice but to honour it.
This is all big mega US corps, Apple does the same, they proudly state they will honour laws and law binding agreements as if it was optional for them 😂.

Sacred

Not in regards to Ghostwire and Deathloop, these were both in development and Sony paid for exclusivity long before the acquisition. A contract would have been in place, they can't just break it. If was cute of MS to say they'll honour the contract, but unless they wanted to be taken to court over it they had no choice but to honour it.
So like I said, you clearly don't know what you are talking about. I have negotiated a merger and all contracts that were in place by the company getting acquired must go through an integration hearing and be agreed on by both parties. The company with majority stake then makes the final classification after the new contract is finalized.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Xbox Courthouse Showcase 2023 brought us:

• Exclusivity confirmed for Indiana Jones
  • Next Xbox and PlayStation coming in 2023
  • Outer Worlds 2 may go to second rate consoles
  • Starfield is still awesome
  • Phil has six pack abs and did the dirty to your mom
Still might be better than the Sony Showcase.

Last edited:

kyussman

An Indiana Jones game,what year is it,lol.......I guess they are looking to cash in on Uncharted's success.....oh wait,that franchise has been gone for years......I guess they are looking to cash in on the new movie......oh wait,Disney have destroyed the franchise.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
The faux outrage here is…something. Business deals happen, and MS not wanting to tie down a first party studio for years making a multiplatform game isn’t exactly the pinnacle of evil.

The irony isn’t lost that most of the angry folks in this thread are playing a Final Fantasy game today that Sony struck a financial deal with Square to keep off Xbox. Next year’s release will make it three FF games in 4 years. And it’s just business.

I don’t see how this also goes against the ‘case by case’ basis, since we’ve seen MS bring some Bethesda content and games to PlayStation post acquisition.

One difference: Xbox actually owns the studios in question Sony does NOT own the developers of FF.

kuncol02

Banned
Wipeout was multiplatform before Sony bought psygnosis.
Technicaly Sony owned Psygnosis sine like 93, but they were separate subsidiary from PlayStation. You can see when they were merged because all they released after that is Wipeout and F1 games year after year.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I'm fine with the exclusivity news, but really this just shows Microsoft is just as bad. Not that we needed more evidence of that, but it is what it is.

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live
I'm just tired of it all. I think either everything should be exclusive or nothing. At this point, I'd prefer MS drop this deal and just come out and announce everything will be exclusive so we can move on from this shit.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
You mean like FF7R, FF16, and several others they tried to pay for exclusivity. They even tried to buy out Starfield as an exclusive till MS bought the company. Sony is much bigger problem for anti-consumer shit than MS.
We're making up stories now? If that were true, it would have come up in the court case. False narratives.

And FF7R and FF16 are as much timed exclusives as The Medium, Stalker 2, and Ark 2 are for Xbox. If they are still not released on PlayStation after the exclusivity contracts are expired, it's SquareEnix not doing an Xbox version, just like the Scorn devs are not doing a PlayStation version after Xbox's exclusivity.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
MS getting a first party adventure game with a high rating is a big need. Could move some units if it is in the 90s on the scoring.

Game Pass is great too. I only have to rent it in the best deal but slightly more expensive in gaming.

No one complains about Sony exclusives. People complain about MS exclusives.

Ozzie666

Microsoft would have done the exact same with Deathloop, if they could have. But obviously the contract and promotion were with Sony. Power and Respect to Microsoft for making Redfall an Xbox exclusive, saved a lot of gamers the pain. No really - thank you.
Big fan of Indiana Jones, I'm disappointed it won't be on PS5. Lucky I can sub to game pass for a month to play it and forget it. Would have been nice to play with some haptics.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
We're making up stories now? If that were true, it would have come up in the court case. False narratives.

Not being brought up by who, the FTC lawyers doing the questioning against Microsoft ?

Besides the news coming from reliable industry insiders, you just need to look at the pattern of Zenimax's releases, 2 in a row before Starfield was formally announced post acquisition were bought-for timed exclusives.

That's not how it works, at all.They aren't free to break any contract however they want.Bethesda was still contracted to do said work under x circumstances except if they went bankrupt but that's a whole new problem that have nothing to do with qhat's happenning here.

What are you talking about? It was said pretty clearly that it was renegotiated. MS/Zenimax didn't just break a contract for no reason. Disney would have sued their asses.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Not being brought up by who, the FTC lawyers doing the questioning against Microsoft ?

Besides the news coming from reliable industry insiders, you just need to look at the pattern of Zenimax's releases, 2 in a row before Starfield was formally announced post acquisition were bought-for timed exclusives.

What are you talking about? It was said pretty clearly that it was renegotiated. MS/Zenimax didn't just break a contract for no reason. Disney would have sued their asses.
Read the rest of my posts instead of running to defend MS as always.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

This rumor was literally from one person -- Imran Khan, who hasn't shared any reliable leak or rumor in years.

And when Pete Hines was asked about exclusivity contracts, he had every opportunity to mention that Sony was interested in also acquiring Starfield as a timed exclusive. He did not.

As of now, there is literally 0 evidence that Sony was interested in getting Starfield as a timed exclusive. Besides, if Sony wanted it, they would have got it before MS closed the acquisition because MS legally could not intervene in Zenimax's operation until then. Sony had free reigns.

Moses85

Literally changing contracts, paying money, to remove PlayStation for a third-party IP.

"Gaming is for everyone."
"Sony makes it harder for us by making it discreet exclusivity deals."
"When everyone plays, we all win."
"Zenimax acquisition was not done to take games away from PlayStation."
Sounds Good Season 4 GIF by The Office

Sign Here GIF by Eternal Family

Fredrik

This deal and exclusivity in general has ruined so many good talks, people turn into rabid fanboys left and right, even people with all consoles are in there fighting as if exclusivity will stop them from playing a game, it’s depressing.

Sacred

And FF7R and FF16 are as much timed exclusives as The Medium, Stalker 2, and Ark 2 are for Xbox. If they are still not released on PlayStation after the exclusivity contracts are expired, it's SquareEnix not doing an Xbox version, just like the Scorn devs are not doing a PlayStation version after Xbox's exclusivity.
This is well known, go look it up and then you can apologize.

Sacred

This rumor was literally from one person -- Imran Khan, who hasn't shared any reliable leak or rumor in years.

And when Pete Hines was asked about exclusivity contracts, he had every opportunity to mention that Sony was interested in also acquiring Starfield as a timed exclusive. He did not.

As of now, there is literally 0 evidence that Sony was interested in getting Starfield as a timed exclusive. Besides, if Sony wanted it, they would have got it before MS closed the acquisition because MS legally could not intervene in Zenimax's operation until then. Sony had free reigns.
The mental gymnastics you do to shill for a company..

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Moneysoft at its best.

The lack of creativity the company has turned into a buyout rampage that's not healthy at all for the industry.

This deal gets worse by the minute. In case it's approved I just hope both Nintendo and Sony wake the fuck up and go to war.

Last edited:

Dis

Moneysoft at its best.

The lack of creativity the company has turned into a buyout rampage that's not healthy at all for the industry.

This deal gets worse by the minute. In case it's approved I just hope both Nintendo and Sony wake the fuck up and go to war.

Final Fantasy VIII remake
Make it happen Sony

I mean... who though otherwise?
PlayStation only gamers.

Hint: there the one who keep saying “yep Microsoft can be trusted”

Meanwhile it’s a 1st party developer developing an exclusive for for their console……. regardless if they were bought or organically grown like a bunch of fucking crop….

adamsapple

Read the rest of my posts instead of running to defend MS as always.

Oh, I did, and despite you saying "rupture amiable", it still doesn't change the fact that, reportedly, the publisher of the game and the IP holder re-negotiated to the new terms. A "refinancing" if you will, since you want to use housing terms.

So, you're still wrong based on the latest info we have about the game.

Yeah, that's exactly what we've all been talking about, if the MS/Zenimax announcement wasn't announced when it did, Sony would have gone for it. The acquisition 'saved the day' ;)

also re: Imran Khan (not *that one lol)

He doesn't do a show like Grubb so we don't hear from him, but he has a pretty accurate track record, including Re4 remake news, Starfield delay, 1-2 Switch sequel, Demons Souls / Elden Ring release windows etc. You can see most of it here.

Last edited:

Gorgon

Really the bethesda acquisition screwed over Sony only gamers way worse than activision will. I would trade every COD game for Starfield.

Indeed. I couldn't care less for COD and Diablo (the latter came bundled with my XBX and I haven't even played it yet). But I do care for Starfield, Elder Scrolls, and Fallout. Those are huge in the WRPG market, which is a huge part of the gaming market itself. Also, add to that the aqquisition of Obsidian and inExile and MS is riding it on the WRPG front. All of that together with the further aqquisition of Ninja Theory and Undead Studios simply forced me to also get a XSX this gen. They just reached critical mass. That and better modding support on Xbox.

This too.

Correct. A company that has agreements/contracts and gets aquired by another company will still have to honour those contracts since the new parent company is now beholden to them too. Renegotiations are needed to change that and that's what happened here. Big fuss about nothing, as usual.

Correct. And it was a big mess-up by Sony if indded they had the opportunity. They are severely underdelivering on the WRPG market, which happens to be quite a big chunk. On the other hand, as far as "high-performance consoles" go, they are sailing through on the JRPG business, which is also quite big. Unfortunately I don't care much for the latter.

adamsapple

I hope it explores a mythology that indy hasn’t before. celtic, china, japan, south pacific, to name a few

I would like to know if it's even a third person game or first person game in the first place. Machine Games doesn't exactly do third person adventures.

Top Bottom