• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pete Hines: Indiana Jones (Machine Games) Will be PC/Xbox Only - Will Launch on Game Pass Day 1

solidus12

zcKgfhi.jpg

How do we know that’s never happened? Lol

I mean really before the internet who knows what deals have happened?

Tomb raider 2 was planned for sega Saturn.. Sony paid some money and poof no more tomb raider 2 on Saturn.

Wipeout was multiplatform before Sony bought psygnosis.

Spider-Man was multiplatform at one time before Sony took it in house.

I’m sure there are many others.
Marvel’s Spider-Man was never a multiplatform game. Disney approached Sony. Sony approached Insomniac. An Xbox version was never planned.

Whereas

Machine Games/Zenimax pitched a multiplat Indiana Jones game to Disney and signed a deal. Microsoft buy Zenimax and Microsoft pay/rewrite the contract to cancel the PS5 version.

The two scenarios are vastly different.

Last edited:

splattered

No, you are missing the forest through the trees on how MS lied to regulators and the public about this and tried painting Sony as the only ones to money hat IPs.

Ehhh i think people are making too big a deal out of it all... both MS and Sony pull this sorta crap.

MS hasn't lied about anything with Bethesda, i don't recall anyone at MS every claiming there were never PS versions of any games planned prior to or after that acquisition. They simply said they will review on case by case basis.. and so far basis has been pump out a few exclusives for Xbox and then probably put out some Multiplat titles that make sense down the road.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Ehhh i think people are making too big a deal out of it all... both MS and Sony pull this sorta crap.

MS hasn't lied about anything with Bethesda, i don't recall anyone at MS every claiming there were never PS versions of any games planned prior to or after that acquisition. They simply said they will review on case by case basis.. and so far basis has been pump out a few exclusives for Xbox and then probably put out some Multiplat titles that make sense down the road.
Nobody is making a big deal other than those who think people should be more upset, all they are doing is calling out the hypocrisy and double speak. Nothing more.

Like Nick said,
I think some people are reading things a bit differently because they are upset that no one is really upset over the substance of the news.
WHY AREN'T YOU GUYS MORE MAD!

Same dick move than anyone money hating games, thing that others did before them. At least theirs are a not exclusives anymore.
The difference being Xbox got the Zenimax deal through regulators partially by saying they’d not take games away from PlayStation. Now we know they cancelled Starfield, Redfall, Hi-Fi Rush, Indiana Jones and have stated Elder Scrolls VI won’t be on PlayStation.

They say one thing and do another. This is why the FTC have a problem.

Darsxx82

They renegotiated and amended the contract. In other words, they paid Disney to drop the PS5 version and signed a new contract that nullified the 1st one.
Or they agreed to increase the budget, production values and media funded by MS and that was a more interesting proposition for Disney. Among other things because it could favor the value of the IP. .... OK, no, no, that's only reasonable if we're talking about SONY.:messenger_winking:

Banned
The difference being Xbox got the Zenimax deal through regulators partially by saying they’d not take games away from PlayStation. Now we know they cancelled Starfield, Redfall, Hi-Fi Rush, Indiana Jones and have stated Elder Scrolls VI won’t be on PlayStation.

none of the games you listed were ever on PlayStation, therefore they weren't taken away from PlayStation.

so they technically didn't lie.
they clearly meant games that are already on PlayStation, like Elder Scrolls Online, Skyrim, etc. won't be removed or stopped being supported.

never interpet PR speech in the way that benefits users, and always interpret it in a way that benefits the company ;)

if you don't do that, then you gonna be fooled 🤷

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life

So they will not take away any game from PS as none of those games exists on PS.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
So microsoft pays to keep indiana jones off playstation and now they are the bad guy again....

I thought everyone said they want microsoft to do money hats...they just paid Disney to make it exclusive.

Was starfield ever announced for playstation? Was Indiana Jones?

Last edited:

vj27

Banned
Marvel was shopping for an exclusive suitor, even apporached MS.

Disney/Lucasfilm was shopping this as 3rd party (like Star Wars) and did, but MS "moneyhatted™" the contract after.

Context and nuance are a thing, but I expect that to be ignored by the fantard re re's.
My guy disagreeing with you doesn’t mean the end of the fucking world chill out lol.

Anyways Last I checked, money hatting games to not appear on a competitors consoles isn’t illegal. It’s not like MS buying a publisher forgoes their rights to participate in the age old 1st/2nd/3rd party exclusives. That’s just the game being played. Simple as that.

You are acting like Disney had a gun to its head, they probably were offered a shit ton of cash and royalties. Don’t see why they’d turn down an offer to get a game of there’s made and published and receive some extra cash on top of it lol. Either way, it’s not like this information of usual console deals is a gotcha from the FTC. If anything this is just news, not damning evidence. So again, content and nuance don’t mean shit because this evidence won’t amount to shit.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

None of those games were announced for playstation.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
So microsoft pays to keep indiana jones off playstation and now they are the bad guy again....

I thought everyone said they want microsoft to do money hats...they just paid Disney to make it exclusive.

Was starfield ever announced for playstation? Was Indiana Jones?

Look at all the people cheerleading for Sony for the same thing. Sad!

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
My guy disagreeing with you doesn’t mean the end of the fucking world chill out lol.
Jim Carrey What GIF

I have a feeling the usuals will ignore the first part of your comment lol. I mean, MS are the same guys the turned down a Spider-Man exclusive game developed by them. I feel like they learned their lesson from that given insomniacs Spider-Man’s massive success.
Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Lay the bait, catch the same 'tude, "my guy."

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I’m gonna stop feeding this particular troll. You aren’t discussing in good faith. You know as well as we all do that PlayStation versions of those games were in development.

Yawn. Ignore list.
Sure it's me the troll. /s .Having an early build or just a single asset already developed doesn't make any difference.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
The faux outrage here is…something. Business deals happen, and MS not wanting to tie down a first party studio for years making a multiplatform game isn’t exactly the pinnacle of evil.

The irony isn’t lost that most of the angry folks in this thread are playing a Final Fantasy game today that Sony struck a financial deal with Square to keep off Xbox. Next year’s release will make it three FF games in 4 years. And it’s just business.

I don’t see how this also goes against the ‘case by case’ basis, since we’ve seen MS bring some Bethesda content and games to PlayStation post acquisition.

Pallas

none of the games you listed were ever on PlayStation, therefore they weren't taken away from PlayStation.

so they technically didn't lie.
they clearly meant games that are already on PlayStation, like Elder Scrolls Online, Skyrim, etc. won't be removed or stopped being supported.

never interpet PR speech in the way that benefits users, and always interpret it in a way that benefits the company ;)

if you don't do that, then you gonna be fooled 🤷
True, I think people are misinterpreting that statement when it was made but I also feel like the way it was worded that was the intended reason.

Which I’m gonna assume that any kind of future remakes, remasters of older games of zenimax that were originally on the PlayStation will get ported to that console in the future.

I used to lambaste Microsoft from here to the Kuiper belt.
Well, well.. after years of abstaining, it seems they are flogging themselves these days. LMAO.
Still looking forward to Starfield, though.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The faux outrage here is…something. Business deals happen, and MS not wanting to tie down a first party studio for years making a multiplatform game isn’t exactly the pinnacle of evil.

The irony isn’t lost that most of the angry folks in this thread are playing a Final Fantasy game today that Sony struck a financial deal with Square to keep off Xbox. Next year’s release will make it three FF games in 4 years. And it’s just business.

I don’t see how this also goes against the ‘case by case’ basis, since we’ve seen MS bring some Bethesda content and games to PlayStation post acquisition.
So let that be a lesson.

Going forward, no more Moneyhats™ lingo should be thrown Sony's way. Amazing how it all NOW comes full circle for those that argued until they were blue in the face prior to this.

Ozriel

M$FT

Look at all the people cheerleading for Sony for the same thing. Sad!

It was hailed as a savvy business decision to attempt to drive them out of business then…

So let that be a lesson.

Going forward, no more Moneyhats™ lingo should be thrown Sony's way. Amazing how it all NOW comes full circle for those that argued until they were blue in the face prior to this.

Lesson for who? You should probably direct this at those who claimed that, then.

Both are spending money to make 3rd party games exclusive.

“case by case basis”

yep Xbox can totally be trusted while behind the scenes they go as far as to renegotiate an existing contract in order to remove the competition

I love how you say this without acknowledging that Sony does things like this far more often for console exclusivity, timed or otherwise.

Give me a break with the double standard already

graywolf323

I love how you say this without acknowledging that Sony does things like this far more often for console exclusivity, timed or otherwise.

Give me a break with the double standard already

Wake me up when I can play SFV, FFVII, Forspoken and FF XVI on Xbox :rolleyes:

Same shit everywhere.

People wanted consoles with a better identity ? Well there you have it.

name me one time Sony has bought a publisher that had a contract for a game and renegotiated that contract to cancel the game for a competitor’s platform

the only double standard here is this continued BS that because Sony makes third-party exclusivity agreements (ignoring the fact so does Microsoft!) that that then justifies Microsoft BUYING publishers

edit: of course this point has been made repeatedly before, you both know it and yet you continue to ignore it to instead spread FUD

Last edited:

RickMasters

…are you really comparing the circumstances around FFVII to Indiana Jones?

you’re not even trying to be intellectually honest are you?

Not comparing their situations...one sort of fell into sonys lap by way of nintendo opting for cartridge over CD. leading to severed ties between Nintendo and square for a decade. the other is MS re-negging terms for a game developed by a studio they own. And they are well within their rights to make the game exclusive. they own the studio. Im not here to talk morals and ethics. but im all for doing what you see fit with what you own. This is all about securing exclusives.. further a a game made by a studio MS owns. plain and simple.

And by the by...... using phrases like "intellectually honest" does not make your stance correct.

Last edited:
Top Bottom