• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Review Thread

OmegaDL50

My Take Your Heart edition is expected to ship today.

However I live close to an Amazon facility. Please hurry with the delivery or I will have a hee-ho hissy fit.
Not really.

Mine is still scheduled for Tuesday. I don't know why I ordered the Take Your Heart edition to be honest.

I'm not really interested in the Morgana Plush or the Book Bag, I simply wanted the Soundtrack CD and the Artbook. Eh, I know, I know. Still I'll probably find a spot for the collectable swag.

Mine is still scheduled for Tuesday. I don't know why I ordered the Take Your Heart edition to be honest.

I'm not really interested in the Morgana Plush or the Book Bag, I simply wanted the Soundtrack CD and the Artbook. Eh, I know, I know. Still I'll probably find a spot for the collectable swag.

with Prime the TYH edition is only $71 dollars.

OmegaDL50

with Prime the TYH edition is only $71 dollars.

Yeah I know all about the Prime Pre-order discount, with tax it came to about $77 for me.

Had it in place since June of last year. Can't believe I preordered a game 9 months in advance, but then again it IS Persona, so I wasn't going to disappointed anyways.

nasax

I'm in Texas and mine is "expected to ship" today through Amazon. Even knowing that it'll be shipped is extra hype for me.

*crosses fingers*

ckohler

My "Take Your Heart" Amazon order only says expected to ship with Arrival on Tuesday. It's said that for a while.

I ordered back on the day when preorders first opened.

My "Take Your Heart" Amazon order only says expected to ship with Arrival on Tuesday. It's said that for a while.

I ordered back on the day when preorders first opened.

Exactly the same for me, outside the fact that I had to cancel and reorder on Christmas day because of a mixup on Amazon.ca's end.

Neoweee

Difficulty in P3 meant being one shot by group death at the start of a fight and losing an hour of progress, that won't be missed

I know I'm probably in the minority, but MC Death = Game Over has always been a terrible mechanic that robs battles of interesting tension and scenarios, and makes the "ideal" strategy to just run through dungeons unlocking save points and grinding later.

The SMT/Persona series can't make up its mind whether that, and retries vs. no retries, should be "normal".

MTC100

Banned
tmp_27031-20170331_18b6u2s.png

Looks like they got it early, if I'm lucky I'll be able to play it on launch day :D

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
I know I'm probably in the minority, but MC Death = Game Over has always been a terrible mechanic that robs battles of interesting tension and scenarios, and makes the "ideal" strategy to just run through dungeons unlocking save points and grinding later. .

That bugs me so much. I've got three fully healed people, I've got numerous revivifying items, and a spell that brings people back from the dead at full health, but nope, the really quiet guy is dead, Game Over.

Lunar15

That's unfortunate, they seem to write good, level-headed reviews.

The weirdest stuff can get you kicked off of MC.

Their review of P5 was pretty spot on with a lot of import impressions, and I imagine a portion of people on GAF will feel the same way. They still loved the game, just certain issues stuck out a little more.

Neoweee

That bugs me so much. I've got three fully healed people, I've got numerous revivifying items, and a spell that brings people back from the dead at full health, but nope, the really quiet guy is dead, Game Over.

It's part of the reason why, despite having played the series hundreds of hours, almost none of my most memorable RPG fights come from the series.

Those times when you're down to one character and slowly revive your team back to the stability? Or one character at full health and no revives just goes all-in YOLO and pulls it off? Or when you kill the boss of FF4DS with a Kain jump when the rest of the team is dead? Yeah, those kinds of moments essentially don't exist in the SMT series, at least until rather recently. And even then, sometimes that is restricted to the "normal" difficulty, and not on Hard/Very Hard/ Maniac/Risky/Whatever.

How are Retries and MC Death handled on the various difficulty levels? I'm probably going Hard, because Challenge sounds immensely frustrating (weaknesses/crits are essentially insta-kills).

The weirdest stuff can get you kicked off of MC.

Their review of P5 was pretty spot on with a lot of import impressions, and I imagine a portion of people on GAF will feel the same way. They still loved the game, just certain issues stuck out a little more.

Yeah they can take a hike with that 7/10 score lol. Review did bring up some good points. But 7/10? This is a 90+ game and they gave it a 7. Numbers don't lie and they spell disaster for DT at Sacrifice.

Aeana

Why are people talking about preorders shipping and ordering the game and such in this thread? This is the review thread, that kind of thing belongs elsewhere.

Yeah they can take a hike with that 7/10 score lol. Review did bring up some good points. But 7/10? This is a 90+ game and they gave it a 7. Numbers don't lie and they spell disaster for DT at Sacrifice.

The numbers in this case are completely arbitrary, not a measurement taken with the Ultimate Instrument of Objectivity.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Why are people talking about preorders shipping and ordering the game and such in this thread? This is the review thread, that kind of thing belongs elsewhere.

I mean... there isn't another Persona 5 thread that is populated with users that are highly active (this is the most active persona thread as I'm seeing it now). The topic isn't necessarily worth creating a new thread for. And the OT hasn't gone up. Where do you think it belongs?

Chris R

So they didn't send it yet I guess, strange, thought amazon would get the game early.

That would have been nice after the whole cancelled order fiasco from earlier in the month.

They did pay for the fastest shipping option for me though so I got that going, means I'll get the game next week at least.

Aeana

I mean... there isn't another Persona 5 thread that is populated with users that are highly active (this is the most active persona thread as I'm seeing it now). The topic isn't necessarily worth creating a new thread for. And the OT hasn't gone up. Where do you think it belongs?

If enough people are getting the game before the release date, then the OT should be created. We have an "early impressions" thread which is currently functioning as an interim OT, and that would be a better place than this thread for all of this.

My personal opinion, though, is that, "OMG MY PREORDER SHIPPED!" is not a post that needs to go anywhere. You don't have to post every thought you have on the forum. Regardless, it does not belong in the review thread.

kayos90

If enough people are getting the game before the release date, then the OT should be created. We have an "early impressions" thread which is currently functioning as an interim OT, and that would be a better place than this thread for all of this.

My personal opinion, though, is that, "OMG MY PREORDER SHIPPED!" is not a post that needs to go anywhere. You don't have to post every thought you have on the forum. Regardless, it does not belong in the review thread.

Correct me if I'm wrong as I'm not famliar with OT rules nowadays but isn't the rule that the OT is not allowed to go up until at max a day before release date? Even if it was created it would've been locked.

Aeana

Correct me if I'm wrong as I'm not famliar with OT rules nowadays but isn't the rule that the OT is not allowed to go up until at max a day before release date? Even if it was created it would've been locked.

'Release date' here is defined as the date when a large portion of the userbase is able to get and play the game. The entire point of the rule in the first place is to prevent a thread full of hype nonsense, building insular communities before people are actually playing the game.

Audioboxer

People are excited!!! It's Persona!

We've had to go through this

CxaOXN7XAAEIpcq.jpg

then this

MtmjUV7.jpg

then this

HLGXYKl.jpg

and this

zIPDfzP.jpg

and then finally

91hjitY.jpg

But I do agree general posts would be best in an OT. Impressions threads scare people in case there are open spoilers.

And to make sure I don't get my ass kicked, the RPGsite review is short, sweet and hype building! http://www.rpgsite.net/review/5460-persona-5-review (10/10)

An OT is an impressions thread. That's what it's for. What's the difference?

'Release date' here is defined as the date when a large portion of the userbase is able to get and play the game. The entire point of the rule in the first place is to prevent a thread full of hype nonsense, building insular communities before people are actually playing the game.

PM'd cj_iwakura - either him or I will be posting the OT in the next few hours at the absolute most.

kayos90

Thanks for the clarification. Just a suggestion for future situations, I'm wondering if it might be easier to just make it a formal process but I think it'd be helpful if what you detailed was in the OT guidelines as it doesn't specify the point about release date being that definition. It's easy to make the distinction of release date being the formal street release date. In addition, it might be easier to manage conversations in general if there's a formal Early Impressions thread for all OTs in general if people want to talk about the game before the OT going up. This thread can eventually get rolled up to the OT. Having a formal process would make things easier to moderate, at least that's how I worked it out in my head.

Anyway, appreciate the insight.

Audioboxer

None really, but in the OT people do tend to be courteous and always spoiler tag spoilers. Impressions threads often end up with one or two open comments. In saying that most GAFers will go to a "spoiler impression thread". Thread semantics!

I think it might be best if an OT can go up soonish, but I don't know how strict GAF rules are on OT. It's usually 1 day before at all times is it not?

You are right a review thread should be 99% talking about reviews, but people are just antsy/excited due to the size/expectations of this title.

The general mentality, i'd say. Some people post needless spoilers in OT enough as is, but an impressions thread gives off the air that posting early game spoilers (even if they are big) are fair game.

I guess its more of a nuanced dumb thing than anything truly tangible.

Pretty much. As always the correct answer before a big game comes out is just don't go online lol. Always see people tweet about getting things spoiled. I've already seen it once or twice for Persona.

Mailbox

The general mentality, i'd say. Some people post needless spoilers in OT enough as is, but an impressions thread gives off the air that posting early game spoilers (even if they are big) are fair game.

I guess its more of a nuanced dumb thing than anything truly tangible.

Damn it Amazon, at least say dispatching soon. Just left with the cold statement of not dispatched. Now I'm going to be that guy 2mw at the restaurant checking his Amazon app to see if it's been dispatched.

Small question about the Japanese voice DLC!

At which time these kind of dlc gets released in general? Midnight? During the day? Do they get released at the same time worldwide?

Top Bottom