• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Series Reaches 10 Million Copies Sold Worldwide, Brand Commercial Released

Draugoth

Gold Member
Persona-Is-Commercial.jpg

Following the announcement that Japanese actor Jun Shison would be appointed brand ambassador for the Persona series, actor Haruna Kawaguchi has now also been assigned as an official ambassador for the franchise.

Two new TV commercials have been released, featuring the two actors, which have begun airing in Japan as of December 15th. The first is the brand commercial “PERSONA IS -WINTER 2023-“. The second is “ANOTHER ME”, featuring Persona 5 Royal and celebrating over 10 million copies sold worldwide in the Persona 5 series.

The Persona 5 series had achieved 9 million copies sold worldwide as of June 2023. This constituted approximately 50% of total Persona series sales. Since then, the release of Persona 5 Tactica on November 17, 2023 was enough to push the P5 games into over 10 million sales, consisting of: Persona 5, Persona 5 Royal, Persona 5 Strikers, Persona 5: Dancing in Starlight and now Persona 5 Tactica.

Ozzie666

Persona Strikers exceeded all my expectations. Persona Q 2 was also decent as well. I've just started Tactica, not sure how I feel about it just yet. It's going to be really difficult to continue the sucess of the 3/4/5 casts for 6. I'm really curious on what sort of world meta they are going to trackle. It's hard to believe 5 was released on PS3 and PS4, it's been so long.

10 million across 3 generations, 7 different platforms, and two different versions in addition to a slew of sidestory games... doesn't seem that impressive.

For a Jrpg series not named Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy it is great. I would love for the Xenoblade franchise to hit numbers like that.

What other JRPGs have received that much of a marketing push and so many re-releases and spin offs?

It suggests that the reach of Persona is much more limited than probably what most of us thought. The number of people who have repurchased the game at least once MUST be pretty large.

I'd guess that Persona probably has fewer than 5 million fans.

nikos

I just bought it for the fourth or fifth time. Still haven't finished it but I'm working on it.

Funny enough, I bought p5 and royal and played over 100hrs on both and still didn’t beat it but damn did it feel like it 😂

I would have paid 10 bucks for the PS5 upgrade if it supported game saves. At this point, I probably wouldn't play the PS5 version for free if it dropped on PS+.

10 million across 3 generations, 7 different platforms, and two different versions in addition to a slew of sidestory games... doesn't seem that impressive.
What other JRPGs have received that much of a marketing push and so many re-releases and spin offs?

It suggests that the reach of Persona is much more limited than probably what most of us thought. The number of people who have repurchased the game at least once MUST be pretty large.

I'd guess that Persona probably has fewer than 5 million fans.
What?? Considering where it was before P5 that's huge. Previous best seller didn't get past 2 million.

So if there are only 5 million fans that's still amazing growth.

Nothing wrong with just catering to a large niche. That's more respectful than flailing about trying to hit GTA numbers while abandoning your core audience like a certain other large JRPG franchise......

Another way to look at this.

P5 and FF15 released in the same year both at 10 million.

Yes P5 did it over re-releases spin off blah blah blah

Despite that which likely had the bigger budget? Which is likely more profitable at this point?

Top Bottom