• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Series Surpasses 9 Million Copies Sold Worldwide, Represents Over 50% of Total Persona Sales

Draugoth

Gold Member
P5R-Kasumi-Joker-Dancing-1024x576.jpg

In the wake of Persona 5 Tactica‘s recent announcement, the official press release introducing Persona 5 has been amended with a new sales number for the P5 series: 9 million copies worldwide.

Back in November 2022, the Persona 5 Royal re-release for modern platforms had achieved 1 million copies sold worldwide, while 5 months later it had sold an additional 700k copies. This indicates that the majority of the contributing sales in the past year are from the newest P5R ports.

With Atlus having confirmed that the Persona series as a whole had sold more than 16.8 million copies worldwide since its start 26 years ago in November 2022, this updated number means that the series has sold at least 17.7 million copies. This, in turn, shows that the Persona 5 games alone have contributed over half of the total sales for the Persona series.

I've got 3P, 4G, and 5R but haven't played any of them yet. Should I play them in order or just go straight to 5R?

Maybe play them all concurrently...

Last edited:

lachesis

I've got 3P, 4G, and 5R but haven't played any of them yet. Should I play them in order or just go straight to 5R?

Maybe play them all concurrently...
It would take at least 200 hours off your time if you played all of them. (and delve deep into what the game has to offer and complete a lot of social stuff and all)
Having said so - I think in order of release is the best way. Also perhaps skip the 3p - as the 3 remake would be coming in when you are about to be done with 4G and 5R?

So... go with 4G, then 5R, then 3Remake. I'm pretty sure that QoL update on 3 Remake would be quite worth it.
I went like 4G - 5 - 5R - 3FES, and jumping from 5R's slick presentation to PS2 game was a bit tough.

Mr Moose

This, in turn, shows that the Persona 5 games alone have contributed over half of the total sales for the Persona series.
Does it include Strikers and Dancing all night or whatever its called?

Mokus

Very good numbers. Still amazes me that this JRPG manages to sell so we'll considering how often Turn-Based combat games are criticized. Hopefully Persona 6 will be another solid JRPG in the series.

Sentenza

Very good numbers. Still amazes me that this JRPG manages to sell so we'll considering how often Turn-Based combat games are criticized. Hopefully Persona 6 will be another solid JRPG in the series.
Pokemon is one of the most successful franchises in videogame history and it's turn-based.

Nautilus

Banned
Most of that extra 2 million sales must have comed from the Switch version. The PS system had P5 for god knows how long, I believe the PC version was already available before that, and I doubt sales from Xbox would have been significant.

9 million units sold... Persona 5 probably had a FRACTION of the budget of what FF usually has, and yet its selling better than most FF. Probably will outsell almost all of them if this keeps up. And it is being outsold by a game using a turn based combat. That FF "fans" have convinced themselves that turn based can't be mainstream, and the ones that are are just brushed under the rug as exception. Love the irony lol.

This just goes to show that a strong vision and commiting to the identity of the franchise, and not chase trends, can pay dividends in the long term. I really hope Square sees this and makes them reconsider their approach to pretty much everything.

What other spin off games have went on to be more successful than the mainline games?

I'm sure everyone knows it now but Persona is one of the spin off series from Shin Megami Tensei games. Persona 4 was the last one to have Shin Megami Tensei in the title before the decided to drop it. Persona is now more popular than SMT. I think the last number we got for SMT 5 was 1m sales (almost a year ago) and I think that is the best selling game in the series.

Persona 6 is going to break more records.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Looks like there’s still a market for it when you look at the performance of this and DQXI.

Not everything has to dissolve into the same « action with light RPG elements » gameplay to be successful.

Sentenza

For the last 20 years that didn't stop the western "professional" journalists or casual gamers to complain constantly about the other JRPG franchises being "stuck in the past" with their Turn-Based combat gameplay.
I have no idea what gave you the delusion that turn-based combat was the reason for these opinions.

People often complained about JRPGs "being stuck in the past" (rightfully or not) for a whole list of factors, which included:
- being often technically obsolescent and/or unimpressive compared to other western titles of their time
- lacking any extensive voice over.
- often relying on the same grind-centric gameplay loops made out of hundreds of respawning/repeating random encounters.

and so on.
Not to mention that for every person complaining that JRPGs were "stuck in the past" you had a counterpart claiming their absolute superiority as a genre and when compared/contrasted to their western "equivalents"

There's no conspiracy against these games. You can sell this victimizing bullshit on Era where it can fly, not to anyone who knows what he's talking about.

P.S. Not every turn-based system is created equal, either. Incidentally I'm a complete sucker for GOOD turn-based combat and I would still consider the "menu based" system popularized in (old) FInal Fantasy games and in Dragon Quest as one of the dullest ones you could have in the sub-genre.

Last edited:

killatopak

What other spin off games have went on to be more successful than the mainline games?

I'm sure everyone knows it now but Persona is one of the spin off series from Shin Megami Tensei games. Persona 4 was the last one to have Shin Megami Tensei in the title before the decided to drop it. Persona is now more popular than SMT. I think the last number we got for SMT 5 was 1m sales (almost a year ago) and I think that is the best selling game in the series.

Persona 6 is going to break more records.
Dead or Alive, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Forza Horizon, DotA, King of Fighters, Marvel Vs Capcom, Apex Legends, NieR, World of Warcraft etc.

I wish they'd break it down even further, showing platform numbers. Obviously, the majority of sales has to be PS4, but I'd love to see the numbers for Switch, PS5 and Series X/S.

Top Bottom