• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just unlocked the Strength perk and I've no idea what I want to fuse besides Black Frost for fun.

I saw that Yoshi build earlier and it uses a lot of ultimate persona for the absorb skills so I was thinking I'd see how far I can advance the remaining confidants before trying it.
If you want more advanced fusions, complete mementos requests. Like, I don't think the game mentions this anywhere. but the key items you gain when completing them are fusion recipes.

Took me far too long to notice this.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I love Chihaya's design. So cute.
I HATE her Japanese voice. It is so obviously over-cutesified with her "u-ma-ma" annoyed tic. It makes me actively angry. She's pretty annoying as a character too.

Telling a fortune: "Your life is fucked, sorry"

Innocent old man: "Oh no, that's terrible"

Protagonist: "Nah, you'll be fine"

Chihaya: "How dare you! He's doomed and that's that!"

Ydelnae

6th Palace spoilers

Goro was one of my favorite character designs for this game until that phantom outfit. What the hell is he wearing, it's so ugly.

Also I didn't like the fact that there was no cool cutscene to introduce him and his persona.

LiK

I HATE her Japanese voice. It is so obviously over-cutesified with her "u-ma-ma" annoyed tic. It makes me actively angry. She's pretty annoying as a character too.

I haven't heard it but the English VO is really sweet and not cute at all. Pretty normal too.

Weiss

Banned
Okay how the hell do I beat the Baphomet for the Fortune Confidant? It keeps charming me and I heal it back to full health.

Thud

Typical anime girl.

The hamster type.

So is there ever a reason to not do negotiation -> ask for money -> ask for more money -> all out attack as opposed to the above but with let the enemy go after asking for more money?

Jiraiza

8/23:

jPc5hEi.jpg

I'm going to enjoy Futaba and Yusuke's interactions very much going forward.

Soriku

so text = 'story'? ever read a school textbook? or a dictionary? :) ...

when i say 'story', i'm talking 'plot'. so, what exactly is p5's plot? well, there's some weird stuff going on, people doing strange things, & then blacking out & not remembering later. & then there's these bad adults that need their hearts stolen, so let's become heart thieves! & then there's... what?...

this isn't what i'd call a plot, so much as a premise. i mean, yeah, having completed the 3rd palace, i've now found out that
this other, mysterious heart thief is going around likely causing all the chaos that's happening because, unlike us, whoever it is isn't an upstanding fighter for goodness/justice
, but, me, i'm still personally waiting for someone to explain why i'm supposed to care :) ...

so, no, i don't feel that, as there was in both p3 & p4, there's an actual plot in this game. let's put it this way: while each episode of, say, seinfeld, had a plot, did the series itself have a plot? no, not really. it had a premise. & that's what i feel's going on with p5: i feel like i'm getting these little palace-based stories, set within a premise. but all in the context of no actual, over-arching plot...

P3 and P4 had the same story structure as P5. Lots of buildup and character interaction until the reveals. You can say the Palaces are the same as the full moon bosses or the dungeons in P4. Not much in P3 happens till the full moon bosses are defeated and in P4 there's piecemeal advancement in the overarching murder mystery for most of the game. I like P5 for them setting up a new villain each arc alongside a new party member.

Anyway I see no difference.

Saprol

I figured out what to do with that High Counter Seth I didn't want to hold onto. Built around hoping to crit something into oblivion. Too bad the only AoE multihit gun move is Triple Down. Phys gets way more skills.

These inherited skills are dripping with innuendo.

Hierophant confidant spoilers

need max kindness to proceed past Rank 6
still get kindness points for hanging out with Sojiro past Rank 6
thanks game

10/28
All right, all right, I see what you're doing, Persona 5. I've played 3 and 4, you know. So I am definitely not trusting you. At. All.

If Makoto wasn't in the game, she might be the one I get into a relationship with lol (still haven't unlocked Futaba and a few others).

whynotboth.jpg

Anything else I'm missing when doing SLinks?
- Always bring Persona of the right arcana.
- Pick the best answers
- Always bring the best gifts

Don't know why Lv4 Hierophant takes forever to unlock. I've made like 4 coffees by now (each of them gives 2 notes) but it still say the bond won't grow yet. Meanwhile, Ann's SLink gives 3 notes left and right. I think I have her at Lv5 now and the link always ranked up.

11/21

This is some Oceans 11 type shit!
I glad Kitty and the gang had a secret plan in the works to break free from dipshit. I was seriously getting pissed off that he had the upper hand on the MC and the gang.

Jintor

lmao i stopped to try and read a poster, got ambushed by a shadow I didn't notice (didn't realise the room was active) and Hermit swooped in and reversed the ambush.

Good hustle team

Zesh

Emperor rank 5:
that scene was hilarious. That pose had me cracking up; I'm surprised by how much I'm liking Yusuke.

Anything else I'm missing when doing SLinks?
- Always bring Persona of the right arcana.
- Pick the best answers
- Always bring the best gifts

Don't know why Lv4 Hierophant takes forever to unlock. I've made like 4 coffees by now (each of them gives 2 notes) but it still say the bond won't grow yet. Meanwhile, Ann's SLink gives 3 notes left and right. I think I have her at Lv5 now and the link always ranked up.

Are you before August? You won't be able to level up with Souji until after the 4th palace. Some confidants still have blocks in terms of story progression, mementos quests, and social stats.

Edit: I forget if it's rank 4 or 5 that has the block, but that might be the cause anyway.

I never played persona or the SMT games. My JRPG experience is FF7-15, and some of the dreamcast RPGs that came out but I really like the genre. This game with its crazy reviews and some innovative looking ideas seems like I'd enjoy it.

My problem is I really can't get into the whole waifu anime bullshit thing. I recoil at some of the threads on this forum. It's just so juvenile to me. Not trying to start a fight I just can't be bothered with it. I never got a vita mainly due to the threads on this forum. I was all ready to get P5 and then I saw a waifu threadfor it- and I'm having second thoughts. How embarrassing is this game? Will I have to go on dates with anime cliches in it? Is there typical anime cleavage fan service going on (more than just some revealing outfit?)

I really want to like this game and anime in general doesn't phase me just the fandom stuff is not my thing.

Are you before August? You won't be able to level up with Souji until after the 4th palace. Some confidants still have blocks in terms of story progression, mementos quests, and social stats.

Edit: I forget if it's rank 4 or 5 that has the block, but that might be the cause anyway.

omg

Hierophant Confidant will be the death of me.

I figured out what to do with that High Counter Seth I didn't want to hold onto. Built around hoping to crit something into oblivion. Too bad the only AoE multihit gun move is Triple Down. Phys gets way more skills.

These inherited skills are dripping with innuendo.
"Touch n' go"

XD

I never played persona or the SMT games. My JRPG experience is FF7-15, and some of the dreamcast RPGs that came out but I really like the genre. This game with its crazy reviews and some innovative looking ideas seems like I'd enjoy it.

My problem is I really can't get into the whole waifu anime bullshit thing. I recoil at some of the threads on this forum. It's just so juvenile to me. Not trying to start a fight I just can't be bothered with it. I never got a vita mainly due to the threads on this forum. I was all ready to get P5 and then I saw a waifu threadfor it- and I'm having second thoughts. How embarrassing is this game? Will I have to go on dates with anime cliches in it? Is there typical anime cleavage fan service going on (more than just some revealing outfit?)

I really want to like this game and anime in general doesn't phase me just the fandom stuff is not my thing.

This is arguably one of those cases where the fandom makes it seem a lot worse than it actually is, because of how obsessed people get about the characters. I'm not finished yet but if prior games are any indication, then no, you won't have to go on dates with anime cliches or see much beyond revealing outfits (unless you have concerns about how much older some of the people you can date are, which I think would be a fair concern). That said, I haven't seen if there's a Valentine's Day or Christmas Day thing (which were things in previous games), but even then I wouldn't expect much beyond "hey so like can I stay over for the night."

The other thing is that if you really don't care for any of the romances or the idea of romancing characters in general, you can skip every last one of them. Like Mass Effect/Dragon Age, you are not required to date anyone. The game doesn't particularly suffer if you decide to ignore romances, either; they're really just window dressing and don't influence the main story at all.

Unrelated: sooooo when does OT2 hit?

LotusHD

Banned

You can completely ignore that and do the S-Link just for their story, to learn more about them. And it's not just for cute potential girlfriends, there's several characters of varying ages, genders, and backgrounds you can and should get to know.

This game is not inherently embarrassing.

As for fanservice, there's this weird ongoing trend with one of the female characters that happens on occasion, but I'm 57 hours in, and I rarely see anything egregious outside of that.

Well, there is Becky I guess...

daveo42

Banned
10/30, meeting
the Empress
Confidant:
Sae - You hung out with someone from a conglomerate. Maybe even infiltrated their company building...
MC - No shit I just told you about that with Okumura. Have you not been paying attention? Jeez.
Sae - ...

Jintor

You're fine.

Persona is known for having fairly detailed and relatively deep character arcs, and while many characters are at first glance cliched or have cliche elements to them they almost universally turn out to be more than that

The fan threads are just that, fans having fun.

I will say persona 4 was a bit more "anime" than p5

Soriku

The waifu anime stuff is highly highly exaggerated by the fanbase, you won't be going on cliche anime dates at all and there's minimal cleavage.

Basically just ignore that stuff. That's not what the game's about.

nOoblet16

It doesn't really have any of that honestly, it avoids anime cliches quite well. Yes you will go on dates and half of the game is social interactions with people but it's all done in a mature manner. Plus you don't have to make it a date as it can be as friends as well. It's an M rated game mind you and for a good reason.

Kalentan

But seriously fuck the game over if the protag die. Just lost an hour of progress because the game decided there wasn't going to be any nearby safe rooms.

Like the enemies successfully put the entire team to sleep, then got a technical on the main character, then put him asleep again, got another technical and game over.

Jachaos

I'm not into anime at all and looove Persona 3, 4 and 5. The stuff that's there is very minimal. You might cringe at one point and that's it. It probably represents less than 0.1% of the game. Persona 4 Golden had a couple of scenes that leaned that way, but I haven't even had that with Persona 5.

So basically, don't worry. It's practically non-existent, and no you don't have to go on cliche anime dates.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Ann shows some knee in a cutscene tho. I mean, thats one step removed from full blown senran kagura fanservice lets be honest.

You should stay away.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
If you don't like her, you can go to Hecky!

Real talk, that scene where you go
fishing and she shows up
put a whole new light on her for me.

Shes just a
sad lonely individual
:/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom