• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
what are you even talking about? or rather who? Where are these people that hate P5?

What? In what world is Persona 5 considered bad? The shadow world?

What?

Where have you been looking? Most people are saying it's an improvement over previous games.

The overall consensus is that the game takes some good strides in some places with the topics it tackles, but fumbles in others (the questionable comic relief gay scenes, the teacher social link, ann fanservice etc). I don't think anyone is saying the game is awful because of it, though.

Fuck this is like Dark Souls III haha. I get it. I really do. I mean I love Dark Souls III too. And Persona 5. In fact Persona 5 is legitimately my favorite JRPG of all time. It's the first time I got the share in the love...so to speak. With IRL friends. But at some point we have to accept when a game is considered dog shit. DSIII is dog shit. Persona 5 is dog shit. I accept that. You'll have to do the same. I don't want to shit up this OT, so this'll be my last post here. But....it's OK to like something that is hated lol. Have you read this thread? Or Reddit? Or GameFAQs? No one likes this fucking game! It's all about how P3/P4 are better. And seriously? That's OK. These games marked me. Some of the best I ever played.

It's ok to like something nobody else does lol. Welcome to my world people! I mean I've got GFaqs reviews up for these fuckers! I can tell when the fanbase hates the new thing! It's OK to like shit no ones does. I'm used to it! Y'all take care now.

Fuck this is like Dark Souls III haha. I get it. I really do. I mean I love Dark Souls III too. And Persona 5. In fact Persona 5 is legitimately my favorite JRPG of all time. It's the first time I got the share in the love...so to speak. With IRL friends. But at some point we have to accept when a game is considered dog shit. DSIII is dog shit. Persona 5 is dog shit. I accept that. You'll have to do the same. I don't want to shit up this OT, so this'll be my last post here. But....it's OK to like something that is hated lol. Have you read this thread? Or Reddit? Or GameFAQs? No one likes this fucking game! It's all about how P3/P4 are better. And seriously? That's OK. These games marked me. Some of the best I ever played.

It's ok to like something nobody else does lol. Welcome to my world people! I mean I've got GFaqs reviews up for these fuckers! I can tell when the fanbase hates the new thing! It's OK to like shit no ones does. I'm used to it! Y'all take care now.
ah i see, you're just a shitty troll, go back to gfaqs

luminous

What

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

I can't tell if you are trolling or what (I assume so but that is some lame ass troll), but the problem with your fantasy is that... where are these people that hate P5? Point them out. Surely its not in this thread in general. Certainly not with the reviews.

Is there a super secret Persona Fanclub forum that hates it that I dont know about?

LotusHD

Banned

Staying out of this one...

nOoblet16

Dude...I don't even...Wow.
You have to be trolling at this point when you say stuff like that. It's probably the least divisive game I've played in a long time.

DNAbro

I"m pretty sure i read this near the exact same thing on 4chan when P5 came out.

Unrelated but
Attack up + Enemy Defense down + Concentrate + Baton Pass = holy fuck so much damage hot damn

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
When can I get SP regenerating items/personas? The third palace is chewing through SP so fast with these stupid Oni with no weaknesses

Rank 4 (or 5?) with
Doctor lady
, or rank 7 to buy them half off

That post above has to be trolling. I mean, I'm kinda down on P5 but not that down.

When can I get SP regenerating items/personas? The third palace is chewing through SP so fast with these stupid Oni with no weaknesses

Level up the
Death
Confidant as fast as you can. SP stuff is expensive but well worth it.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

Confidant spoilers
Death Confidant sells Sp Regen accessories. The best ones are 100000 yen. But with a better ranking with her, it's only 50000 for the best ones.
It's a must IMO.

CHC

My problem is I really can't get into the whole waifu anime bullshit thing. I recoil at some of the threads on this forum. It's just so juvenile to me. Not trying to start a fight I just can't be bothered with it. I never got a vita mainly due to the threads on this forum. I was all ready to get P5 and then I saw a waifu threadfor it- and I'm having second thoughts. How embarrassing is this game? Will I have to go on dates with anime cliches in it? Is there typical anime cleavage fan service going on (more than just some revealing outfit?)

I really want to like this game and anime in general doesn't phase me just the fandom stuff is not my thing.

I share the same kind of sentiments as you but trust me, the "anime" tropes aren't that bad. The worst it gets is some awkward high school level sexual tension, there's no sleazy revealing outfits or overtly creepy moe / hentai-ish stuff. Well I guess a couple of the personas / meta verse hero outfits are kind of sexed up (Ann has like a red vinyl suit and cat mask) but not really worse than you'd see in an average comic book. Not creepy little girl stuff. In the real world all the characters dress pretty normally and responsibly.

The actual romancing is VASTLY overstated in terms of how much of a facet of the game it is. Most of your free time is spent doing normal life sim stuff like studying, eating, playing games, and hanging out with your friends in a platonic way. The actual romances only unlock late game (like 50+ hours in), at which point your bond is strong enough to either choose to become "best friends" or more "romantic" friends. It's not really foisted on you in any way, though - you can easily romance no one.

The content of the actual romances is totally PG13, it's like what you'd see in a teen show such as 90210 or something, lol.... it's actually kind of fun and endearing if you don't take it too seriously or have some perverted expectations.

Pretty sure you aren't alone. Persona 5 seems to be really offensive on that front. I'm fairly certain that it's considered the worst Persona game, partially, because of how it mishandled relationships. Don't drop the series because of it. P3 and P4 aren't as divisive from what I've seen. Even oldschool Persona fans seem to hate P5. So you aren't out of the mold so to speak. Try out the classic Personas (P3 and P4) and if possible, try out SMT3. These are the franchise classics. Don't drop the franchise because of one game that is seemingly considered bad, by the fanbase.

No idea where ANY of what you are saying is coming from honestly.....

I'm so confused. WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO SAY!? Why did I read your post? My head hurts? It feels like you failed at trying to "keep it real".

Jiraiza

8/29:

I love how Sojiro gets super worried over Futaba. Top tier dad.

I always get caught off-guard when the MC actually says something in the cutscene. Weird feeling.

nOoblet16

I"m pretty sure i read this near the exact same thing on 4chan when P5 came out.

Unrelated but
Attack up + Enemy Defense down + Concentrate + Baton Pass = holy fuck so much damage hot damn
You ain't seen nothing yet, enemy defense down + attack up x2 + Charge + God's Hand and you'll do like 2K damage on even high level bosses.

New002

I think my GF might really enjoy Persona 5 based on what I've read about the series, but I've never played a Persona game myself. Does anyone know of a good video she can watch that covers in broad terms what persona is all about? If there's something like this for 5 even better.

Thanks!

Poster who has never liked a considered-dogshit game thinks a few naysayers scattered throughout makes a game considered-dogshit. Come back and talk to me when you're too afraid to admit that you like a certain game in most places because people will automatically discount your opinion on everything else that you enjoy.

I'll always love you, Silent Hill: Homecoming.

Strimei

Holy shit, Morgana, just let me go wash these grimy items for pete's sake, the laundry place is right across the alley, I can even snooze in the chair! I don't need sleep!

Xeteh

Just realized I'm extremely stupid. In the 2nd Palace on NG+ and I need to restart because I totally forgot that reading all books is a trophy and I've been skipping it since I'm maxed on Social Stats.

Thankfully it never gets as bad as Tartarus.

EDIT: Why am I transcending time.

I feel like every time you quote someone it shows the message as answering their question before they ever asked it. I don't know if it shows up for other people but it keeps happening with my replies.

Zyrox

Dungeon 5:
...that's it? Some people were hyping this thing up to be the most tedious thing since the dawn of time but to me it was completely fine. I quite liked it, in fact. Awesome theme, the best dungeon music yet and no segment overstayed its welcome imo. Probably my favorite dungeon next to dungeon 4. Also I already like Haru.

nOoblet16

Major boost in ranking up?
I think it's:
1) Unlock their perks as soon as they are available as confidant
2) Guaranteed rank up everytime you meet (donno if it's exclusive to characters you romance)
3) Characters you romance give you chocolates that recover SP to full.

All this only if you hit rank 10 though..For others who were less than rank 10 you gotta start over.

Rhaknar

bought sp regen 3 items for my entire crew except Morgana because fuck that cat. Looking orward to knocking out Palace 4 in 1 go.

Ydelnae

I see you all got exclusive input from a very special source about how to troll in the internet, making you retain everyone's attention

But who was it?!

nOoblet16

Dungeon 5:
...that's it? Some people were hyping this thing up to be the most tedious thing since the dawn of time but to me it was completely fine. I quite liked it, in fact. Awesome theme, the best dungeon music yet and no segment overstayed its welcome imo. Probably my favorite dungeon next to dungeon 4. Also I already like Haru.
It's cause your expectations were already lowered. It's the one dungeon that ended up being too draggy for me since the sections overstayed and the dungeon looked bland and the music was painful for me.

Also you think dungeon 5 has the best dungeon music ? Ermm what? I know opinions and all but it's like the most repetitive one out there with no variation and has the shortest loop of all. Honestly it was so annoying I had to stop using my headphones as it made my ears hurt. I cannot see how you anyone can like dungeon 5 theme over Dungeon 3 and 4 theme.

LiK

I think it's:
1) Unlock their perks as soon as they are available as confidant
2) Guaranteed rank up everytime you meet (donno if it's exclusive to characters you romance)
3) Characters you romance give you chocolates that recover SP to full.

All this only if you hit rank 10 though..For others who were less than rank 10 you gotta start over.

Ah ok

Lynx_7

I almost forgot f0rneus is the dude that likes to randomly spread this weird "Dark Souls 3 is the most hated Souls game ever" narrative from time to time. He's either legit insecure about that kind of stuff and probably shouldn't be browsing gaming forums with dissenting opinions or just having a laugh, I honestly can't tell.

I have a tendency of focusing on the negative opinions too but I know that's on me. The overall reception has been about as solid as you could possibly hope for from the internet.

I think my GF might really enjoy Persona 5 based on what I've read about the series, but I've never played a Persona game myself. Does anyone know of a good video she can watch that covers in broad terms what persona is all about? If there's something like this for 5 even better.

Thanks!

Giant Bomb did an entire playthrough of Persona 4 (an "Endurance Run"), so if you want to see some pure, unfiltered gameplay I'd recommend that. It starts pretty slow, but will give an idea of the core gameplay loop of talking > dungeoneering > talking > fusing. Worth noting that the two duders chat while playing, so be aware of that.

I mention it because that Endurance Run actually got me into Persona, years ago. I watched like 30-40 episodes (of ~150) before deciding I wanted to play Persona for myself. Then I eventually got P4G, P3P, and now P5 to sate my hunger for Persona. It's been a journey.

One thing: keep in mind that everything P4 does mechanically is improved in P5. Combat, dungeons, fusing, daily life; everything.

nOoblet16

I almost forgot f0rneus is the dude that likes to randomly spread this weird "Dark Souls 3 is the most hated Souls game ever" narrative from time to time. He's either legit insecure about that kind of stuff and probably shouldn't be browsing gaming forums with dissenting opinions or just having a laugh, I honestly can't tell.

I have a tendency on focusing on the negative opinions too but I know that's on me. The overall reception has been as solid as you could possibly hope for from the internet.
The reason why it's such a shit thing to do is that this sort of trolling can be taken seriously by people and can legit put away people from playing this game. Like this dude had some concerns about the game and then he made that post making it look like maybe the game does have glaring problems and is divisive and it's pull people back from experiencing this game. It's toxic !

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=233994757

Zyrox

It's cause your expectations were already lowered.

Also you think dungeon 5 has the best dungeon music ? Ermm what? It's like the most repetitive one out there with no variation and honestly it was so annoying I had to stop using my headphones as it made my ears hurt. I cannot see how you anyone can like dungeon 5 theme over Dungeon 3 and 4 theme.

If it was because of lowered expectations I wouldn't think D5 is better than D1, 2 and 3, which I do. Re: music, different strokes for different folks I guess. D5 theme got me pumped to do some dungeoning. Loved the beat.

nOoblet16

If it was because of lowered expectations I wouldn't think D5 is better than D1, 2 and 3, which I do. Re: music, different strokes for different folks I guess. D5 theme got me pumped to do some dungeoning. Loved the beat.
For me the only thing I liked about that dungeon was the boss fight which was great actually, nothing else apart from that.

ShadyK54

I have a tendency on focusing on the negative opinions too but I know that's on me. The overall reception has been as solid as you could possibly hope for from the internet.

My red flag was that he thinks In Space Pink Ranger is the best Pink Ranger when Time Force Pink exists, so there's that.
:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom