• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 3: RELOAD | OT | REsocializing with Waifus

What Scores do you think Person 3: Reload will get?

• 60-65%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 66-69%

• 70-75%

• 76-79%

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 11 12.9%
  • 86-89%

Votes: 33 38.8%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 31 36.5%
  • 95-99%

Votes: 7 8.2%
  • 100%

Votes: 2 2.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
So I’m about 12 hours in, second barrier in Tartarus reached. This Aigis character is still nowhere to be seen, lol.

I am deeply concerned at how leisurely I got this far. I am constantly waiting for the moment the game will fuck me up royally.
Exp comes so slowly, ugh. Persona fusion keeps tantalizing me with Personas that are just a level or two above my character’s, as usual.
At my third Persona game, I’m doing so much more than in P4 and 5 at this point, and still I feel like I’m just screwing everything up for a moment that will come 20-30 hours later, lol.

What is the best way to manage Personas? Should you just keep a few as your active ones with a variety of moves and just fuse the others? Or it’s best to keep a wide roster of specialized ones? They level up so slowly, and every floor has enemies with certain weaknesses so you tend to finish battles always with the same Persona equipped, limiting the growth of all the others. Yeah, I know that if you get a card of a Persona you already have, those of the same kind will get an exp boost (and a hefty one at that). Still not very efficient.

The big problem with Persona is always that at one point the game will throw you a curveball and your otherwise well-doing party will be lacking a crucial skill at the wrong moment. It happened in both P5 and P4 to me, always around the 50 hour mark.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
So I’m about 12 hours in, second barrier in Tartarus reached. This Aigis character is still nowhere to be seen, lol.

I am deeply concerned at how leisurely I got this far. I am constantly waiting for the moment the game will fuck me up royally.
Exp comes so slowly, ugh. Persona fusion keeps tantalizing me with Personas that are just a level or two above my character’s, as usual.
At my third Persona game, I’m doing so much more than in P4 and 5 at this point, and still I feel like I’m just screwing everything up for a moment that will come 20-30 hours later, lol.

What is the best way to manage Personas? Should you just keep a few as your active ones with a variety of moves and just fuse the others? Or it’s best to keep a wide roster of specialized ones? They level up so slowly, and every floor has enemies with certain weaknesses so you tend to finish battles always with the same Persona equipped, limiting the growth of all the others. Yeah, I know that if you get a card of a Persona you already have, those of the same kind will get an exp boost (and a hefty one at that). Still not very efficient.

The big problem with Persona is always that at one point the game will throw you a curveball and your otherwise well-doing party will be lacking a crucial skill at the wrong moment. It happened in both P5 and P4 to me, always around the 50 hour mark.
Creat persona specialize in magic and another one for physical. You need good physical attacker because even if enemy not weak against it they take good amount damage from it and there is always a chance get critical hit and knock them down.

Make sure persona that does Dark and Light damage, I don’t think any of your party have any spells do that element for now.

This also important, make sure you have persona that does debuffs like Rakunda, Sukunda and Tarunda….these debuffs can help out with some of the tough bosses.

Last edited:

XP from normal Shadows is basically worthless and a waste of your time. Go to the club and buy the Rarity Fortune from the fortune teller (costs only 3000), then go to the floors and pick a starting point from maybe 10-15 from whatever the second barrier top is, like 47 or something? Teleport in, and just look at the mini-map, if you see Hands, go kill the Hand, then open the mini-map and choose Go to the Next Floor. Rinse and repeat, over and over, killing only Hands, unless you also want to farm the Red Shadows to build up your Arcana Burst. Only the Hands really give XP worth a damn, the Red Shadows aren't really great either but you can use those to farm cash from Shuffle Time since you will always pick XP card from Shuffle Time after killing the Hand

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Creat persona specialize in magic and another one for physical. You need good physical attacker because even if enemy not weak against it they take good amount damage from it and there is always a chance get critical hit and knock them down.

Make sure persona that does Dark and Light damage, I don’t think any of your party have any spells do that element for now.

This also important, make sure you have persona that does debuffs like Rakunda, Sukunda and Tarunda….these debuffs can help out with some of the tough bosses.
Light damage has been available to me for a while thanks to Unicorn, and dark comes a bit later (I also got some Eiha cards).

What I don’t get is, it’s better to have a single Persona with a variety of elemental attacks, or to have, say, an ice Persona for ice spells, etc? I always hesitate to fuse new Personas because the new ones don’t get all the skills, and getting back the consumed Personas from the grimoire costs a lot of cash.
Having different Personas with you also helps gain social links exp. But there’s just too many. Decisions, decisions…

Draugoth

Gold Member
4LGIl7I.gif

fDZ2sw7.png

anG6UXT.png

aK8ncbR.png

Last edited:

Cfh123

Long post coming.

I’ve played P3 and P4 at least twice each, but ran out of steam about half way through. That is my problem with JRPGs. I get about half way through and lose interest. I enjoyed my time with them - the story and characters. Not so much the combat and dungeon crawling which got stale for me.

One of my favourite games is Devil Survivor Overlocked on 3DS. Loved the dark, oppressive atmosphere, characters and the philosophical questions posed. I enjoyed the TRPG combat and Pokémon fusing. So in the right game, I can get through to the end.

I‘m in September in P3 Reload and I think I will get to the end:

- 60 fps on Xbox X really helps
- they really toned down the teenage kids shooting themselves in the head which they leaned into in the earlier versions in cut scenes and in-game animation. That was pretty edgy at the time.
- I’m playing on normal. Combat is fairly easy. That is ok as I am mostly there for the story and characters.
- I am avoiding guides other than for occasional answers in the social links or classroom.
- Tartarus is way better.
- I’d probably prefer it if it was just a straight visual novel.

I am looking forward to the end which people say is really good.

IMO, the SMT family of games are among the best in the video game medium.

Last edited:
Long post coming.

I’ve played P3 and P4 at least twice each, but ran out of steam about half way through. That is my problem with JRPGs. I get about half way through and lose interest. I enjoyed my time with them - the story and characters. Not so much the combat and dungeon crawling which got stale for me.

One of my favourite games is Devil Survivor Overlocked on 3DS. Loved the dark, oppressive atmosphere, characters and the philosophical questions posed. I enjoyed the TRPG combat and Pokémon fusing. So in the right game, I can get through to the end.

I‘m in September in P3 Reload and I think I will get to the end:

- 60 fps on Xbox X really helps
- they really toned down the teenage kids shooting themselves in the head which they leaned into in the earlier versions in cut scenes and in-game animation. That was pretty edgy at the time.
- I’m playing on normal. Combat is fairly easy. That is ok as I am mostly there for the story and characters.
- I am avoiding guides other than for occasional answers in the social links or classroom.
- Tartarus is way better.
- I’d probably prefer it if it was just a straight visual novel.

I am looking forward to the end which people say is really good.

IMO, the SMT family of games are among the best in the video game medium.
LMAO imagine thinking the shooting yourself in the head was toned down. I played the OG P3 and FES to the end, plus P3P (sigh). It's exactly the same. If anything, they have leaned into it because you literally load a fresh cartridge into the Evoker before you do your Theurgy. The fact they named it 'Reload' is proof they wanted everyone to know they kept the shooting yourself in the head the same, it's integral to the theme of the game.

Had they removed the shooting yourself in the head, they would have invited a severe backlash against the game from all of the existing fans. I'm sure people at Sega/Atlus thought about it too because of wokeness but realized that the 5 additional woke people who would have tried it for 10 minutes on Gamepass before deleting it in the West wasn't worth losing the entire existing fanbase over. Which was obviously the right decision.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Long post coming.

Well, to be fair, Persona does have it's special way of dragging along endlessly with very little happening, and lasting a few dozen hours more than it's good for it just because. Most other JRPGs this length usually have the grace of making actual stuff happen all the time, and making it happen in a way that makes you want to see it.

The randomly generated dungeons of P3 and P4 certainly don't help make the gameplay interesting.

Danjin44

The randomly generated dungeons of P3 and P4 certainly don't help make the gameplay interesting.
You guys making such big deal out of the dungeons in Persona 3 and 4.

I have guys played Strange Journey? Entire game take place inside the dungeon and they huge with many traps and dark areas that you can't see where you are going + with random encounters.
22-Eridanus_1F.png

26-Eridanus_2F-2.png

By comparison Persona 3, 4 and 5 dungeons are nothing. I can reach end each floor with one go, easily.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member

I have guys played Strange Journey? Entire game take place inside the dungeon and they huge with many traps and dark areas that you can't see where you are going + with random encounters.
22-Eridanus_1F.png

26-Eridanus_2F-2.png

By comparisonPersona 3, 4 and 5 dungeons are nothing. I can reach end each floor with one go, easily.
… that’s the point of the complaint?

They are not interesting, either thematically or gameplay-wise. Nothing to actually explore or discover, just treading the same ground over and over and over again for dozens of floors.

If anything, I don’t understand why people would complain about P5’s well-structured and well-characterized dungeons. They‘re leagues better than randomly generated crap, yet I’ve seen not a few people not liking them because… well, I really don’t know why.

Anyway, last night I beat the second story boss and rescued this cute-as-a-button girl.
Of course she promptly fainted after the ordeal, so it’ll be a few school days until the group can have a proper chat with her.
It’s not like barely anything has happened in circa 15 hours and it feels like I’m still in the tutorial, after all. Game can take its sweet time, oh yeah.

Danjin44

… that’s the point of the complaint?

They are not interesting, either thematically or gameplay-wise. Nothing to actually explore or discover, just treading the same ground over and over and over again for dozens of floors.

If anything, I don’t understand why people would complain about P5’s well-structured and well-characterized dungeons. They‘re leagues better than randomly generated crap, yet I’ve seen not a few people not liking them because… well, I really don’t know why.

Anyway, last night I beat the second story boss and rescued this cute-as-a-button girl.
Of course she promptly fainted after the ordeal, so it’ll be a few school days until the group can have a proper chat with her.
It’s not like barely anything has happened in circa 15 hours and it feels like I’m still in the tutorial, after all. Game can take its sweet time, oh yeah.
I also like P5’s hand crafted dungeons but people complain that they didn’t want to do puzzles and they actually prefer P3&4 style more.

To me I don’t have much issue P3&4 dungeon design, each floor for most pretty small and they can be done quick.

But they are two things that makes dungeons in P5 better…one they are hand crafter dungeon and second you fight actual Demons instead of shadows, that means I can recruit them when I see demon I want instead of getting randomly from card shuffle, which makes going through dungeons fun.

Last edited:
P5 dungeons are quite over-rated as the puzzles and gimmicks aren't anything special, and some require tedious amounts of backtracking. Seeing Tartarus's remade environments up close and personal is very nice. The atmosphere is hair-raising, eerie, and sometimes intense (especially if you're being chased up multiple floors by the reaper).

Thaedolus

Gold Member

22-Eridanus_1F.png

26-Eridanus_2F-2.png

By comparisonPersona 3, 4 and 5 dungeons are nothing. I can reach end each floor with one go, easily.
This looks like it was designed for masochists, JFC.

Anyway I’m gonna work on extracting my windows key from my old desktop and using it to dual boot my steam deck so I can play gamepass games natively today…P3R is the game that made me finally commit to it, wish me luck!

Celcius

°Temp. member
Just finished the game and will post my thoughts here with spoilers:

72 hours later and I've finished it. Another masterpiece just like Persona 5 Royal and this is my GOTY so far. The music, the graphics, the characters, the story, the turn-based gameplay... all of it is fantastic. I never played the original version of the game so this is like a brand new game to me and now I understand why P3 is so well liked. I played the Steam version and they did an excellent job with things like vibration being supported on my DualShock 4 and in-game PlayStation button prompts.

• I'm assuming that Tanaka died when Tartarus collapsed?
  • The persona that the protagonist has on the cover is actually Pharos / Ryoji / Death and you see it once in the protag's room when you decide to go for the good ending. However, is it ever possible to get this persona in game and fight with it?
  • Why are people saying the protag died in the ending? Didn't he just go to sleep on Aigis' lap? What killed him lol?

I really hope Persona 4 gets the remake treatment someday as well, as I've never played that one either.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
I think you unlock Thanatos as special fusion by fusing Loa, Pale Rider, Samael, Mot and Alice.

his not sleeping.....
200w.gif
Thanks, I just got done reading more about the ending and it makes sense now.
I also heard about The Answer and it sounds like it continues the story but has super grindy/difficult/repetitive gameplay... makes me wonder if they're going to remake that as an expansion or if I should just google the video clips to get the story info...

Last edited:
This looks like it was designed for masochists, JFC.
Mainline SMT titles are designed for people who enjoy intense physical pain

Fortunately there are now actual easier difficulty settings in recent SMT titles, it's actually possible to play through SMT Nocturne Remaster and SMTV without wanting to shoot yourself in the head

Thanks, I just got done reading more about the ending and it makes sense now.
I also heard about The Answer and it sounds like it continues the story but has super grindy/difficult/repetitive gameplay... makes me wonder if they're going to remake that as an expansion or if I should just google the video clips to get the story info...
There have been multiple rumors and leaks stating The Answer is coming later as DLC, if you haven't spoiled yourself yet maybe don't

Last edited:

iorek21

Just finished it. I think I feel sick. What a journey.

Got my gripes with the game, but loved it.

Gotta say though, Royal's ending hit me harder for some reason; P3 ends in a more positive way despite... you know.

Ferdimage

*No spoilers please*

Can I ask how much more is left after the Kyoto trip, I've clocked just under 130 hours , feeling pretty OP with my Persona's and I'm feeling burnt out.

Cfh123

What party do you guys run?

I'm running:
- Yukari (heal bot / wind)
- Mitsuru (ice / defence debuff)
- Koro (fire, dark, crit)

I like these characters. They cover wind, ice, fire and dark, so MC is needed for physical, electric and light. Together they feel like a well oiled-machine. I like Aigis but having two characters with electric weakness can cause problems. I have an SP item on Koro so he recharges his mana.

I'm in early October and at level 60. Koro has great evasion, good crit chance and has been tearing up the dark-susceptible mobs in the "third dungeon" of Tartarus.

I've used the clock a fair bit to keep my other characters close in level so I can switch them around.

Last edited:

Danjin44

I'm running:

I like these characters. They cover wind, ice, fire and dark, so MC is needed for physical, electric and light. Together they feel like a well oiled-machine. I like Aigis but having two characters with electric weakness can cause problems. I have an SP item on Koro so he recharges his mana.

I'm in early October and at level 60. Koro has great evasion, good crit chance and has been tearing up the dark-susceptible mobs in the "third dungeon" of Tartarus.

I've used the clock a fair bit to keep my other characters close in level so I can switch them around.
Aigis is always in my party like all pervious Persona 3, she is great physical attacker.

Atlus is wasting money not making this.I would buy on a heartbeat
The issue with Kotone is they would need to make the whole game again since she has different Social Links and some story events, that would all need new anime cutscenes, new animation work, new voice acting, etc.

Atlus didn't do it for a reason, and the reason is time and money. Adding The Answer won't require that much work which is why it's probably happening soon. Adding Kotone would require a lot of work.

All this mod does is replace a single character model and color the UI pink. That's a million light years away from what Atlus would have had to do in order to add the whole route.

Also Reddit is retarded and the retards there bitch about Kotone 26 hours a day 9 days a week and it's honestly obnoxious. So average Redditor energy, I fucking hate Reddit

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member

I'm running:

My party was main character + Yukari + Mitsuri + Akihiko.
I also leveled up Aigis because one time Mitsuru wasn't available for Tartarus but I didn't want to wait.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I would like to try Persona 3 Reload but I always find something else to play.

I don't blame you. These games are massive time commitments.

-

On topic, reached January 31st. About to enter the end-game. Every other achievement / social link etc done. It's been a month long process and having access only via laptop has not made it easy lol.

I really like all the new "Linked" episode scenarios and as others have pointed out elsewhere, the different in the quality of writing is stark. I forgot just how threadbare some of the social links in this game were. Some of them are just 20 seconds long with only a few lines of dialogue. Magician's social link and Kenji are trash, for example, lol. As is Temperance.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Reaper Down, Floor 200+, MC is level 90, party average is like 60. I got so many OP cards and one toughdick Persona with Single Target/Multitarget Amp, Almighty Amp and have no weaknesses, not even ailments, lmao!
Sequoia Cock entering the upper levels of TarTarSauce. Not even Monad is safe. I can't wait to break Liz in the DLC, too.

Lokaum D+

just started to play last night and i think P4 and P5 spoiled me,

Geez, they just throw a bunch of characters out nowhere in your face, how i m suposed to like this ppl ? "oh, see this guy, he just know how to use persona and now he ll be on our team" wtf ? and Tartarus is boring as Hell, since is a remake they should have done somothing more custom like p4 or p5, running 22 floor of the same graysh corridors is just killing me.

i remember been hooked from minute 1 in P5 and P4 and i m struggling with p3, does this game get better ? is Tartarus just this randomly generate grayish dungeon ?

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Iam in the middle of december. How close am I? Will i able to beat this thing before thursday?

I think you can.

But the game has 2 endings.

If you go for the bad ending, you can effectively end the game at December 31st, however if you want the 'real/canon/true' ending, the game goes till January 31st. Depending on how you're pacing your daily stuff, and if you're putting in a couple of hours each day, you should be able to.

How far up Tartarus are you? Keep in mind, you have to reach the top floor on the final calendar day of the game to have the end-game fights. The top floor is 264.

Fabieter

I think you can.

But the game has 2 endings.

If you go for the bad ending, you can effectively end the game at December 31st, however if you want the 'real/canon/true' ending, the game goes till January 31st. Depending on how you're pacing your daily stuff, and if you're putting in a couple of hours each day, you should be able to.

How far up Tartarus are you? Keep in mind, you have to reach the top floor on the final calendar day of the game to have the end-game fights. The top floor is 264.

Iam around floor 200(at lvl 66). Sounds super rough to be honest, I don't want to lay it dawn but I also don't want to rush it. Thanks for the relpy tho that helps putting it in perspective.

Last edited:

Cfh123

I‘m in the final month. I subbed out Mitsuru, and my final team is now Yukari, Koro and Aigis.

Aigis was underlevelled. One fight with the reaper with a 50% XP bonus equipment item took her from level 70 to 93 (!)

Just fine tuning my personas getting ready for the final boss. I won’t max out all the social links but that is kind of the point. Time is limited so make the best of it.

Power Pro

I'm surprised no one in this thread has mentioned it, but I guess there's a Expansion pass coming?? Episode Aigis coming in September, along with more costumes and music before that. Ugh, I might've held off on my playthrough of this game for a few months since there's going to be more DLC added with it, and I'm just on the final part of the game now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom