• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Perfect Dark XBLA | The Official Thread

TheCardPlayer said:
PD is the single most content packed game, on the N64.

On the 64? I haven't played an FPS before or since with this many options.

Reach looks like it will probably end up my GOTY (and most likely GOTG) but PD probably won't be far behind. Hell i wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being my most played game this gen.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Vik_Vaughn said:
Never played PD. Was 100% psyched about this until it was mentioned on the bombcast that they wouldn't be updating the controls. My psych meter then dropped to roughly 30%. Are the controls as archaic as they made it out to be?

I haven't played PD in years, but just noticed from the videos it seems that maybe they meant the way the aiming works?

Like the aiming reticule isn't always centered in the middle of the screen, it moves & sways around when aiming at the sides & diagonally.
This would make it pretty damn outdated & archaic if they keep that design in.

Lothars

FTWer said:
I haven't played PD in years, but just noticed from the videos it seems that maybe they meant the way the aiming works?

Like the aiming reticule isn't always centered in the middle of the screen, it moves & sways around when aiming at the sides & diagonally.

Yeah it sounds like the aiming hasn't changed because they have several different control types at least from the one video on Giant Bomb but who knows exactly.

Carlisle

Pretty pumped for this myself. Never played the original, never played Goldeneye. Being bombarded with fever-pitch hype and praise for both games for the last 13 years, my interest is piqued. I'm excited for the chance to finally see what all the hubbub is about. And at 800? Day one, no look dive for me.

Daante

I AM SO FUCKING HYPED FOR THIS!!!!!!! , THIS GAME HOLD A VERY VERY SPECIAL PLACE IN MY HEART!!! , THANK YOU RARE AND 4J STUDIOS FOR MAKING THIS A REALITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *BOW*

BRING ON SOME MULTIPLAYER MAYHEM WITH TRANQUILIZERS AND N-BOMBS!!!!!!!!!!!

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
FTWer said:

The aiming mechanism alters depending on difficulty level, I believe.

Gomu Gomu

Cerrius said:
These are pics of 3 control schemes that were leaked back in December for those who may not have seen them..

24omss5.jpg

243reqb.jpg

14iingy.jpg

Spartan and Duty Calls :lol :lol Brilliant.

Dizzy-4U

Daante said:
I AM SO FUCKING HYPED FOR THIS!!!!!!! , THIS GAME HOLD A VERY VERY SPECIAL PLACE IN MY HEART!!! , THANK YOU RARE AND 4J STUDIOS FOR MAKING THIS A REALITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *BOW*

BRING ON SOME MULTIPLAYER MAYHEM WITH TRANQUILIZERS AND N-BOMBS!!!!!!!!!!!
That's more like it! That's the level of hype I'm looking for! :D

DeSo

Banned
We used to play against max number of FistSims pretending they were zombies. The blurriness was the killer.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Rare posted a new interview with producer Nick Ferguson on their twitter.

Check it out:

http://plusxp.com/2010/03/plus-xp-exclusive-perfect-dark-xbla-interview/

couple of excerpts:

Nick: In the original N64 game, the classic weapons (based on GoldenEye guns) could only be used in single player. We’ve brought them into multiplayer as a series of Classic weapon sets, so players can now use the GoldenEye weapons on GoldenEye levels for the first time since, er, GoldenEye.

It’s no good supporting LIVE if you can’t find someone to play against, so the game supports a variety of matchmaking scenarios across both Solo and Team modes. In addition, Private Custom Games are supported so you can set up that painfully obscure game scenario you used to play with your friends all those years ago.

Aside from the boost to eight players, the game engine now runs at a solid 60 frames per second at 1080p. This makes a big difference, particularly in four-player split-screen where players can now have more resolution in their split-screen game window than they did in the original N64 single player game!

Nick: Everyone involved has been working extremely, EXTREMELY hard to get Perfect Dark for Xbox LIVE Arcade finished and we really hope you enjoy the final result.

We know Perfect Dark fans were told the game was coming “this winter” back at E3 in 2009 and didn’t get much more information than that until X10 a few weeks ago. We managed to get some screenshots out in the interim, but for the most part everyone involved has been heads-down for the last six months getting the game done.

We appreciate that people wanted to know more about release dates and the like but (contrary to popular belief on t’internet) the game was only finished recently and we didn’t want to pluck a date out of thin air and then miss it.

My point being: Sorry for the wait, PD fans – we honestly didn’t have an official date till a few weeks ago!

Dizzy-4U

Cerrius said:
It’s no good supporting LIVE if you can’t find someone to play against, so the game supports a variety of matchmaking scenarios across both Solo and Team modes. In addition, Private Custom Games are supported so you can set up that painfully obscure game scenario you used to play with your friends all those years ago.
I love you soooo much Rare.

You know what? Fuck it. Even without system link support, I'll buy another xbox tomorrow and buy a gold membership so I can play with friends on fridays...

Does it actually have all of the original control schemes (1.1 - 1.4) or is it just that one, single amalgam labelled 'Classic', whose analogue controls don't match any of the single-controller schemes from the original Perfect Dark.

It would be very, very a-sad if the original movement controls have been lost in the shuffle.

Gomu Gomu

giant_frying_pan said:
Does it actually have all of the original control schemes (1.1 - 1.4) or is it just that one, single amalgam labelled 'Classic', whose analogue controls don't match any of the single-controller schemes from the original Perfect Dark.

It would be very, very a-sad if the original movement controls have been lost in the shuffle.
I've played GoldenEye like 4 months ago...And let me tell you that you have absolutely nothing to be sad about. Those controls were super outdated.

Thenarus

Neo Member
Any chance in hell that the punch-drunk haze will actually wear off once you die in this one...? Still, regardless...day one.

Cerrius said:
Quote:
Nick: In the original N64 game, the classic weapons (based on GoldenEye guns) could only be used in single player. We’ve brought them into multiplayer as a series of Classic weapon sets, so players can now use the GoldenEye weapons on GoldenEye levels for the first time since, er, GoldenEye.

I really hope they allow you to customize each weapon in a match, not in sets like in goldeneye where it gave you a "category" of weapons instead. I hope thats not what he meant.

Chony

Ahhh I can't play this until september while I'm out of the country. This is possibly my most anticipated game this year aside from Starcraft 2. Hopefully (it should?) still be available in September and people are still playing it online then too.

omg omg omg omg only 14 more days

I wish they would have went back and added the feature where you could map your face to the character models with the camera (Gameboy Camera!!!). I remember Nintendo/Rare pimping that big before they yanked it.

Dizzy-4U

Lionheart1827 said:
I really hope they allow you to customize each weapon in a match, not in sets like in goldeneye where it gave you a "category" of weapons instead. I hope thats not what he meant.
You could do that in the original so I'm guessing that you'll get the set but also you'll be able to make your own custom ones like "farsights and klobbs only" or something.

Lionheart1827 said:

For matchmaking, that's exactly how it would work. If you're just going to play with randoms, there really is no perfect solution. If you play with friends you can make a private custom game where you can customize as much as you want, just like local multiplayer in the original.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Captain N said:
Does anyone have any questions? I'm getting ready to interview Rare / Microsoft about this game.

Does the game support system link?

Does the alternate control schemes just have the button configuration of other popular FPS games, or does the actual control simulate that of Call of Duty and Halo?

Is the difficulty level of the game any different compared to the original?

While its asking the world, despite all of the Live multiplayer functionality, control setup and weapon additions, is there any additional game content not in the original game? Any tweaks to the singleplayer campaign? Any easter eggs?

EDIT: Have they done any weapon balancing? Is the klobb suddenly going to be the most devastating weapon in the game?

Will the success (or failure) of this game determine future older titles (or DLC) from RARE's history being brought to XBLA? Jet Force Gemini? Blast Corps?

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Captain N said:
Does anyone have any questions? I'm getting ready to interview Rare / Microsoft about this game.

1. What was the thinking behind the low price point?

2. More details on the control scheme and how it works.

3. How many matchmaking playlists are there?

Is there gonna be a demo? I hate console FPSs so I want to tweak the shit out of the controls so they're at least bearable before I try jumping in. Do you have to aim/have ironsights? Can you switch analogue sticks?

Some questions:
-Please (re)make Jet Force Gemini, ok?
-Do bullets still make different bulletholes and sounds (depending on the surface)? ;D

whitehawk

Banned
Captain N said:
Seeing as Rare has brought 4 classic games to XBLA now (Banjo 1&2, Perfect Dark and Jetpac Refueled) are there plans to bring any other old games to XBLA?

goldenpp72

whitehawk said:
Seeing as Rare has brought 4 classic games to XBLA now (Banjo 1&2, Perfect Dark and Jetpac Refueled) are there plans to bring any other old games to XBLA?

Didn't rare already say porting jet force and blast corps would be good? Seems like its in someone elses hands now (MS)

Captain N said:

Since the Face Camera Mapping thing hasn't been talked about, I'm guessing they didn't add it to the XBLA Remake. Can you ask them if they ever considered finishing it for for the XBLA Remake, and if so, would they consider adding it in with DLC (if they do DLC)?

EDIT: Also, based on the critical/commercial successes of their other retro games, would Rare consider making "classic" games/sequels for XBLA (ex. a spiritual successor of DKR with the same cast minus the Kongs and the Kremlings, same geometry, HD, online play, etc.)?

Kimosabae

Banned
Posting in awesome thread. The break down of the various Sims brings a nostalgic tear to my eyes. Reminds me of the moments I used to scour EGM articles, desperate for the game's release.

Dan Yo

Banned
FTWer said:
Because it was the best control-style available for the N64 version. I hope all of the control styles available are not based on the original's default controls. That would make looking up and down or strafing a pain.

Kimosabae

Banned
Dan Yo said:
Because it was the best control-style available for the N64 version. I hope all of the control styles available are not based on the original's default controls. That would make looking up and down or strafing a pain.

I played Southpaw, too. Never understood how people would try and aim with buttons.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
If I hadn't traded in my Xbox360 I would definitely get this game... loved it on the N64 despite the framerate.

I will get a new Xbox360 when Alan Wake comes out. It'll be my 4th Xbox I buy because of RROD's and that I traded in my last one.

Vik_Vaughn said:
Never played PD. Was 100% psyched about this until it was mentioned on the bombcast that they wouldn't be updating the controls. My psych meter then dropped to roughly 30%. Are the controls as archaic as they made it out to be?
You need to check again.

Top Bottom