• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn State football pedophilia thread (UPDATE: NCAA sanctions handed down)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meier said:
Yeah, I saw him tweet earlier pondering his many boys could have been protected if he'd gone to the police. Saw a number of sports writers indicate this was the worst thing they'd ever covered in college sports and I know one suggested the B1G boot PSU over it. The fallout will be substantial.
Penn State won't get booted from the conference.

But the Penn State board of trustees better act swiftly to out everyone even remotely involved in this. After reading that grand jury report, Spanier should be one of them.

And the university police force needs to be cleaned out, top to bottom. How can anyone on that campus have faith in a police force that won't protect children from a sexual predator?

Draft

Disgusting. That campus PD should be dissolved. Bring in the troopers or something while it's rebuilt from the ground up.

My god this is so horrible. I will never root for Penn State again. Every single person involved in this needs to go, including Paterno. He hired this scum bag, it is his responsibility to make sure that he was stopped as soon as he found out. I cant for the life of me understand why the university wanted to cover this up.

Say what you want about improper benefits from athletes, but this is much, much worse. Systematic rape of children for 10+ years, to which the administraton turned a blind eye, is unbelievable. Penn State is in deep trouble now.

Ultimately, the NCAA will have to do something substantive. People already have a hard time taking the NCAA seriously with all this realignment hogwash.

ezekial45

Banned
I wonder how this is going to affect Penn State's enrollment numbers in the future? I mean, I wouldn't want to be anywhere near a school that had any part in harboring and protecting a pedophile.

JABEE

ESPN doesn't believe this is a big story. It gets a side bar on their website. If it was a player selling his own jersey, there would be people stationed outside the player's family home. ESPN is a joke.

JABEE said:
ESPN doesn't believe this is a big story. It gets a side bar on their website. If it was a player selling his own jersey, there would be people stationed outside the player's family home. ESPN is a joke.
No fucking kidding.

During the Ohio State scandal, Tresel's mug was plastered everywhere on ESPN.com.

Apparently a school athletics scandal involving child rape and a university cover-up only warrants a sidebar.

JABEE

BertramCooper said:
No fucking kidding.

During the Ohio State scandal, Tresel's mug was plastered everywhere on ESPN.com.

Apparently a school athletics scandal involving child rape and a university cover-up only warrants a sidebar.
It has every thing to do with "College Football on ESPN tonight." There is no journalistic integrity at ESPN.

JABEE said:
It has every thing to do with "College Football on ESPN tonight." There is no journalistic integrity at ESPN.
Also, I think the idea of a college football coach buggering little boys doesn't sit well with ESPN's hyper-masculine fanbase.

DominoKid

read the grand jury document.

the story of Victim 1 was enough to make my head spin. i cant bring myself to read the rest.

hoos30

ESPN is an entertainment network with news styling...it is NOT a news network. They are not going to slaughter one of their own golden geese.

If the PSU athletic dept is not decapitated after THIS, SMU, Ohio State, Miami, etc need to be forgiven forever. What they did is not even on the scale with these allegations.

hoos30 said:
If the PSU athletic dept is not decapitated after THIS, SMU, Ohio State, Miami, etc need to be forgiven forever. What they did is not even on the scale with these allegations.
They will be, but not by the NCAA. Lurid shit like this goes far beyond the NCAA's purview.

But the more I think about it, the more I would be okay with kicking Penn State out of the Big Ten. It's not going to happen, but this level of administrative corruption has to have some dire consequences for Penn State.

Schmitty said:
He needs to go. Everyone I know wants his head.
After reading that report, I'm surprised Spanier wasn't charged along with Curley and Schultz.

Though I guess if he never perjured himself in court, perhaps not. /amateurlawyer

JABEE said:

Give it time. This story is going to pick up a lot of steam and they're going to have no choice but to cover it. It's happened to other stories that they've been cold on initially.

TangMeng

SolidSnakex said:
Give it time. This story is going to pick up a lot of steam and they're going to have no choice but to cover it. It's happened to other stories that they've been cold on initially.

Also don't forget it's football Sunday, and they have shit-all to talk about for the entire week without the NBA. This story is going to be massive

Yeah ESPN has no reason to protect Penn St. If theres one thing they love, it's the opportunity to tear down someone off their pedestal. It's just that the story broke on a weekend. Wait til Monday when their talk radio and tv talking heads get a hold of this.

Schmitty

BertramCooper said:
After reading that report, I'm surprised Spanier wasn't charged along with Curley and Schultz.

Though I guess if he never perjured himself in court, perhaps not. /amateurlawyer
Look at what the asshat said the other day AFTER Curley and Shultz were charged

"The allegations about a former coach are troubling, and it is appropriate that they be investigated thoroughly. Protecting children requires the utmost vigilance."

"With regard to the other presentments, I wish to say that Tim Curley and Gary Schultz have my unconditional support. I have known and worked daily with Tim and Gary for more than 16 years. I have complete confidence in how they have handled the allegations about a former University employee."

"Tim Curley and Gary Schultz operate at the highest levels of honesty, integrity and compassion. I am confident the record will show that these charges are groundless and that they conducted themselves professionally and appropriately."

How can you say that after Paterno testified in front of a grand jury and told the story that they are denying to hear?!

http://onwardstate.com/2011/11/05/tim-curley-charged-with-perjury/

BertramCooper said:
No fucking kidding.

I hate OSU but you're 100% right here. I'm guessing Paterno will retire, ride into the sunset, and be praised as if this never happened. If this was a program that didn't have such a legendary coach it would be plastered everywhere

Ninja Scooter said:
Yeah ESPN has no reason to protect Penn St. If theres one thing they love, it's the opportunity to tear down someone off their pedestal. It's just that the story broke on a weekend. Wait til Monday when their talk radio and tv talking heads get a hold of this.

Then ESPN should tear itself down for the hatchet job it did in the Big East.

You did read Gene Defillipo's comments about how ESPN gave the ACC "advice" on which teams to choose for its next round of conference expansion, right?

You do know this happened after the Big East turned down ESPN's laughable offer for $11m per team for its next tv contract, right?

Bottom line: ESPN is more interested in protecting its business interest than actual news. ESPN didn't break the Miami storyline. Heck, I don't think they even broke the USC storyline.

quaere

Mike McQueary (current WR coach and the unnamed GA in the report) should resign immediately. I don't want him coaching against Nebraska.

At least Joe can claim he didn't know if the allegation was true or not. McQueary saw it firsthand and failed to do as much as he could have because of concern for his career.

quaere said:
Mike McQueary (current WR coach and the unnamed GA in the report) should resign immediately. I don't want him coaching against Nebraska.

At least Joe can claim he didn't know if the allegation was true or not. McQueary saw it firsthand and failed to do as much as he could have because of concern for his career.

Joe Pa should have been asked to resign yesterday.

He is the most powerful man on that campus. He could have called the state police. He did not.

Penn State is going to need to do a full sweep of the football program, and hire someone from outside the JoePa coaching tree to manage the program.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
These asshats aren't just guilty of ring fencing their program or turning a blind eye. They are absolutely complicit in the rape of more than one child.

OuterWorldVoice said:
At least the alum are seeing the issue clearly.

http://www.facebook.com/pennstate?ref=ts
You still have some defending JoePa, though.

Sure, JoePa went up the chain of command, but after nothing came of it, he didn't do anything about it. You have a bunch of people who claim they did what they were supposed to do, yet nothing happened to remedy the situation.

And it's obvious that Peterno did nothing to enforce the university's ban of Sandusky from university premises. Sandusky was still a regular fixture of the football facilities, and continued to rape boys in the locker room showers long after his supposed ban.

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
Sandusky should be castrated now before that crazy mother fucker does any more damage. Then he should spend the rest of his life in prison. I truly hope the children who were raped AFTER PSU found out about this scumbag sue the school for a fortune. By not reporting it to the authorities when they first found out, they basically caused the rape of more children after the fact. Beyond disgusting.

Dude Abides

Banned
Damn. Full indictment is sickening. Doesn't seem like Spanier testified, so he didn't have an opportunity to perjure himself.

In fairness to JoePa, in the last 10 years he probably didn't even know when he was shitting himself, let alone know what's going on with his program.

The only way I can explain Spanier's staunch defense of Curley and Schultz is that his own guilt is tied to theirs. If Curley and Schultz are acquitted, it makes Spanier appear not guilty by proxy.

Obviously, I'm not talking about the legal definition of guilt, since the prosecution doesn't appear to be going after Spanier. I'm referring to guilt in the eyes of the public, which could very likely cost Spanier his job.

quaere

The defense: I'm innocent, due to a legal technicality!

HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) — The Pennsylvania law requiring some school officials and others to report suspected child abuse does not apply to a Penn State administrator who's accused of keeping quiet about allegations that a former football coach molested a boy in a shower, the administrator's attorney said Sunday.

The comments by Pittsburgh lawyer Thomas J. Farrell offer a preview of the defense he plans to use on the charge of failing to report faced by his client, Gary C. Schultz, the university's senior vice president for finance and business. Farrell said he will seek to have the charge dismissed.

The charge is part of a broader case centered on retired Penn State defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky, who is accused of sexually abusing eight boys over 15 years. Schultz, 62, and Penn State athletic director Tim Curley, 57, were both charged Saturday with failing to report to state and county officials that a witness told them he saw Sandusky sexually abusing a naked boy in the showers of a team practice facility in 2002.

Schultz and Curley were both also charged with perjury. Lawyers for all three men say they are innocent.

Farrell told The Associated Press on Sunday that the mandated reporting rules only apply to people who come into direct contact with children. He also said the statute of limitations for the summary offense with which Schultz is charged is two years, so it expired in 2004
Perjury: We haven't figured out how to get out of that one yet.
About the perjury charge, Farrell said: "We're going to have a lot of issues with that, both factual and legal. I think there's a very strong defense here."
http://hosted2.ap.org/APDEFAULT/3d2...legations/id-4e636e56981b44079bb3ee85b5e773a1

Wanace

Why the hell is Penn State defending this guy? Makes me sick, and will make the university and all the officials involved with the defense look awful.

This is a terrible thing for everyone involved, but the university has to distance itself from this scumbag.

quaere said:

http://hosted2.ap.org/APDEFAULT/3d2...legations/id-4e636e56981b44079bb3ee85b5e773a1

Shitty if true. But a 2 year Statute of Limitations is pretty typical for many crimes. You could probably stretch the definition of working with children to cover a college administrator, though.

Perjury, as you point out is a pretty generic response. Perjury is tough to get out of, especially to a grand jury. I imagine he is fucked on that, as I can't see much sympathy from a jury or a prosecutor making a sweet deal.

Cryptozoologist said:
Why the hell is Penn State defending this guy? Makes me sick, and will make the university and all the officials involved with the defense look awful.

This is a terrible thing for everyone involved, but the university has to distance itself from this scumbag.

If these guys lose Penn State could be subject to civil liability. My impression is that Penn State doesn't give a fuck about these guys, but they pretend like they do so that there is no guilty conviction that can be used as evidence against the University in any forthcoming civil suit.

Schmitty

Cryptozoologist said:

FYI: PSU isn't defending Sandusky, who did the molesting.

BertramCooper said:
And as someone posted in the CFB thread, Sandusky's eerily titled autobiography:

facepalm-simpsons-300x300.jpg

WedgeX

Banned
quaere said:

Since he's at a college, and they run camp programs for minors, I foresee the prosecution getting them on that.

And for statute of limitations, the two year limit ought to only apply two years after the last victim turns 18 and will no longer be a legal minor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom