• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn State football pedophilia thread (UPDATE: NCAA sanctions handed down)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since CFB-GAF wanted this separated from the main thread, here goes:

9435315-large.jpg

Former Coach at Penn State Is Charged With Abuse

New York Times said:
Jerry Sandusky, a former defensive coordinator for the Penn State football team once viewed as a favorite to succeed Joe Paterno as head coach, has been charged with sexually abusing eight boys, and the university’s athletic director and another university official were charged with perjury and failure to report after an investigation into the allegations.

Sandusky, 67, who had worked with at-risk children through his Second Mile foundation, was arraigned and released on $100,000 bail on Saturday after being charged with, among other offenses, seven counts of involuntary deviate sexual intercourse, eight counts of corruption of minors, eight counts of endangering the welfare of a child and seven counts of indecent assault.

A grand jury identified eight boys singled out for sexual advances or sexual assaults by Sandusky from 1994 through 2009, including one incident that Paterno was allegedly told about. All of the alleged victims first encountered Sandusky through activities related to Second Mile, which he founded in 1977. Sandusky retired from daily involvement with the Second Mile last fall.

“This is a case about a sexual predator who used his position within the university and community to repeatedly prey on young boys,” the Pennsylvania attorney general, Linda Kelly, said in a statement.

According to the attorney general’s office, Paterno alerted the athletic director, Tim Curley, about a 2002 incident in which a graduate assistant for the team said he saw Sandusky sexually assaulting a boy in the shower at Lasch Football Building on the Penn State campus. The graduate student said he went to Paterno’s home the next day and described what he had seen. Paterno, in turn, told Curley.

About a week and a half after the 2002 incident, which occurred late at night, Curley and Gary Schultz, the university’s senior vice president for finance and business, met with the graduate assistant who had witnessed it, then told Sandusky that he could not bring any children from the Second Mile into the football building. But the university officials did not alert law enforcement, as required by state law, Kelly said.

A grand jury found that Curley, 57, and Schultz, 62, provided false testimony in discussing their response to the 2002 incident. The grand jury found that Curley committed perjury in repeatedly denying that he had been told that Sandusky had engaged in sexual misconduct with a child.

It also found the assertions by Schultz that the allegations were “not that serious” and that he and Curley “had no indication that a crime had occurred” contradicted other testimony. Paterno, who last week passed Eddie Robinson for the most career victories in Division I football, was not charged.

Curley and Schultz were each charged with one count of perjury, a third-degree felony punishable by up to seven years in prison and a $15,000 fine, in addition to failure to report. They are scheduled to turn themselves in Monday in Harrisburg, Pa. Neither responded to attempts to reach him for comment. Sandusky did not respond to a telephone message left at his home.

Tom Farrell, the lawyer for Schultz, said in a statement: “Gary Schultz is innocent of all charges. We believe in the legal system, and we believe it will vindicate him. We will fight these charges in court, and Gary Schultz will be proven innocent of all of them.”

Caroline Roberto, the lawyer for Curley, said in a statement: “Tim Curley is innocent of all charges against him. We will vigorously challenge the charges in court, and we are confident he will be exonerated.”

Jay Paterno, the Penn State quarterbacks coach and son of Joe Paterno, declined to comment when reached on his cellphone.

“I wish to say that Tim Curley and Gary Schultz have my unconditional support,” Penn State’s president, Graham B. Spanier, said in a statement. “I have known and worked daily with Tim and Gary for more than 16 years. I have complete confidence in how they have handled the allegations about a former university employee.”

The news about Sandusky, and the actions of top university officials, are sure to roil State College, a small college town so quaint that it is referred to as Happy Valley. Penn State has long been a picture of consistency in the ever-changing college football landscape, from its iconic football coach to its staid blue-and-white uniforms.

The indictment culminated a nearly three-year investigation by the state attorney general’s office. The investigation began after claims by the first alleged victim that Sandusky had indecently assaulted him and engaged in various sex acts while the boy was Sandusky’s house guest near Penn State’s campus.

The charges against Sandusky are at odds with his public persona in State College. After a successful career on the sidelines, he seemed to dedicate himself to improving the lives of the youth of the area through his foundation. Sandusky reportedly cited his devotion to the charity among the reasons for turning down various head coaching opportunities.

A defensive coach at Penn State from 1969 until his retirement in 1999, Sandusky helped burnish Penn State’s reputation as Linebacker U, devising the defenses that led the Nittany Lions to national championships in the 1982 and 1986 seasons.

Penn State did not play Saturday. The 16th-ranked Nittany Lions host No. 9 Nebraska next week in their final home game of the season.

GoldenEye 007 said:
As I said in the CFB thread, the entire athletic department at minimum needs to be blown up. Makes SMU look small time.
quite clearly. Too bad if this is what takes JoePa out...but if he knew some shit, he's gotta fucking go. Yesterday.

I read part of the Grand Jury indictment, and only made it through half of the first victim's accusations before I stopped reading. The kid refused to talk to him, so the coach went through the school. What a disgusting human being.

Graham Spanier's statement was really dumb.

"I wish to say that Tim Curley and Gary Schultz have my unconditional support. I have known and worked daily with Tim and Gary for more than 16 years. I have complete confidence in how they have handled the allegations about a former university employee."

Instead of blindly supporting his employees, he should have simply said that the university will work with the authorities in their investigation. If Curley and Schultz are indeed guilty, Spanier has just thrown his "unconditional support" behind two men that should absolutely go to jail.

It reminds me of Gordon Gee and his rather glib statements in the wake of the Ohio State investigation. Then again, that case involved swapping trinkets for tattoos, not child rape.

beast786

BertramCooper said:

"I wish to say that Tim Curley and Gary Schultz have my unconditional support. I have known and worked daily with Tim and Gary for more than 16 years. I have complete confidence in how they have handled the allegations about a former university employee."

Instead of blindly supporting his employees, he should have simply said that the university will work with the authorities in their investigation. If Curley and Schultz are indeed guilty, Spanier has just thrown his "unconditional support" behind two men that should absolutely go to jail.

It reminds me of Gordon Gee and his rather glib statements in the wake of the Ohio State investigation. Then again, that case involved swapping trinkets for tattoos, not child rape.

College communities are like one big families. Same crap happens in Notre Dame etc etc. They think they are immune to the outside rules and regulations.

Alucrid

Banned
BertramCooper said:

but FOOTBALL

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
BertramCooper said:

And it's not like he's waiting to find out if they have handled the allegations badly. They have already been charged with perjury. They already fucked up. He is supporting them in spite of their behavior, effectively saying, it doesn't matter what they did. We got their back.

Article about the cover up and perjury
According to Pennsylvania attorney general Linda Kelly, a Penn State graduate assistant "reportedly observed Sandusky sexually assaulting a naked boy who appeared to be about 10 years old." Kelly said the graduate assistant reported the incident to head coach Joe Paterno, who testified before a grand jury that he immediately called Curley and met with the AD the following day.
"Despite a powerful eyewitness statement about the sexual assault of a child, this incident was not reported to any law enforcement or child protective agency, as required by Pennsylvania law," Kelly said. "Additionally, there is no indication that anyone from the university ever attempted to learn the identity of the child who was sexually assaulted on their campus or made any follow-up effort to obtain more information from the person who witnessed the attack first-hand."

Kelly said that rather than reporting the matter to law enforcement, Curley and Schultz agreed that Sandusky would be told he could not bring any Second Mile children into the football building. That message was also reportedly related to Dr. John Raykovitz at the Second Mile (Sandusky's charity organization to help children).

"Despite this so-called 'ban', which was reviewed and approved by University President Graham Spanier without any further inquiry on his part, there was no effective change in Sandusky's status with the school and no limits on his access to the campus,” Kelly said.

Edit-Summary: Grad assistant walked in on him in the shower with a 10 year old boy and all the AD did was tell him not to bring any more boys to the school.

quaere

With regard to Paterno in particular:

Penn State head football coach Joe Paterno did the right thing and reported an eye-witness report of child sex abuse by then-defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky in the football locker rooom in 2002, according to the indictment released this morning by the state Attorney General.

A source close to the investigation tells The Patriot-News that Paterno will not be charged, and will be a prosecution witness who will testify.

Friday, Sandusky was charged with 40 counts of child sex crimes, and this morning athletic director Tim Curley and vice president Gary Schultz were charged with perjury and failure to report a crime.

The sources said the deputy state prosecutor handling the case said that Paterno did the right thing, and handled himself appropriately in 2002 and during the three-year investigation that ended Friday.
http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/11/paterno_praised_for_acting_app.html

Atramental said:
I'm pretty sure it's only member has already been banned.

Unless there's more...
There was Sennorin, who is obviously banned.

But what about the one dude with the Pokemon avatar? Is he still around?

Dreams-Visions said:
quite clearly. Too bad if this is what takes JoePa out...but if he knew some shit, he's gotta fucking go. Yesterday.
I'm a bit confused it seems like Paterno did the right thing, he actually informed superiors and right away. Am I missing something?

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
I'm a bit confused it seems like Paterno did the right thing, he actually informed superiors and right away. Am I missing something?
The issue is that he should have gone to the police, not his boss, especially for something as sick as this. He's not a child - he should know to call the police in such a situation - not just "tell an adult."

quaere

It's going to be questioned why, when he passed it up the chain and nothing happened, he didn't go to the police or at least find out what had become of the issue.

Also, you have to consider that while Curley is technically Joe's boss, it's really the other way around. So you have to wonder why Joe would just pass the responsibility on something as important on this.

GoldenEye 007 said:
The issue is that he should have gone to the police, not his boss, especially for something as sick as this. He's not a child - he should know to call the police in such a situation - not just "tell an adult."

I don't think this will end Paterno, though. Whether or not he's guilty of anything is kind of irrelevant, seeing as though he's working with the prosecution now.

beast786

If your co-worker killed a man with a gun. Will you tell your boss or police?

Jhriad

rather than reporting the matter to law enforcement, Curley and Schultz agreed that Sandusky would be told he could not bring any Second Mile children into the football building.

What the hell...

Put those men behind bars so they can be sodomized. I think it'd be an appropriate way to reflect on their crimes.

Brendonia

"Edge stole Big Ben's helmet"
GoldenEye 007 said:

Schultz, the other person noted in this story, oversees the University Police, which are the first line of police on campus (where the allegations happened). Paterno did report it to him and took it that far, and as he was not an eyewitness to the events (like the mentioned graduate assistant was) probably could not be any further.

That being said, as a Penn State alumni and fan, this is absolutely horrifying. The indictment is one of the most sickening things I've ever read and I couldn't make it to the end. Curley and Schultz are finished, and Sandusky needs to rot forever. He essentially set up a charitable foundation as a front to feed his sick vices and wasn't caught for years. I'm disgusted I cheered the man before he retired after the '99 season.

Occasionally, I find myself missing insane permabanned posters like Sennorin, and their incredibly repugnant views on sensitive subjects.

But not often.

Alucrid

Banned
BertramCooper said:
Occasionally, I find myself missing insane permabanned posters like Sennorin, and their incredibly repugnant views on sensitive subjects.

But not often.

Maybe there should be a week on GAF where they're all unbanned, chaos ensues, then we all go back to normal.

On second thought, no.

Except Tonay.

Ela Hadrun

Probably plays more games than you
Wait, so this guy just founded a charity to funnel young boys with little to no resources/community to his office?

Holy SHIT.

Sports by brooks twitter account has all kinds of info, including the guy bringing an 11 year old to practice in 2007. Paterno may escape legal punishment but he is just as dirty and disgusting as everyone else involved.

I finally got around to reading the grand jury report.

Good god.

The university's response is just abhorrent. Basically, they did nothing to stop Sandusky from abusing young boys - they merely tried to stop it from happening on campus by banning him from university buildings. But even then, they didn't actually follow through on the bans.

It's horrifying on so many levels.

Meier

bigtroyjon said:
Sports by brooks twitter account has all kinds of info, including the guy bringing an 11 year old to practice in 2007. Paterno may escape legal punishment but he is just as dirty and disgusting as everyone else involved.
Yeah, I saw him tweet earlier pondering his many boys could have been protected if he'd gone to the police. Saw a number of sports writers indicate this was the worst thing they'd ever covered in college sports and I know one suggested the B1G boot PSU over it. The fallout will be substantial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom