• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outriders retails at 17% in UK on Xbox (due to being free to all XGPU subscribers), PlayStation 4/5 has 83% of retail sales

Meanwhile in the uk,
2a5rIPL.png

Varteras

Gold Member
You're looking at it from completely the wrong direction.

It's about better monetizing those people that don't actually buy any video games. The value to core gamers is basically secondary.

There are ~120m PS4s in the wild. Ghost of Tsushima sold 6.5m copies. That means despite all the hype, the great reviews, the excitement, ~115m PlayStation 4 owners didn't buy a copy of one of the biggest games of last year. They didn't buy Final Fantasy VII. They didn't buy The Last of Us 2.

And those 6.5m copies aren't fully priced. That's with nearly a year of discounts and deals. That's with hundreds of thousands or even millions of lost sales through the used market.

What's better? To get 20m people to spend $15 or to get 6.5m to spend somewhere between $60 and $30, if they bought it at all?

GP isn't about making existing products available to customers at low cost. It's about taking the hundreds of millions of gamers who buy maybe three or four games a generation, or those people who wait for heavy discounts, or who scab off their friend's accounts, or who buy used, and it's saying "if you subscribe, you can have all this stuff day one without all the hassle."

"And, oh, by the way, subscribe for the next seven years, because every single month we'll give you something worth you're time."

They're making the same amount of money, if not more. The product is just as good - in fact the product is identical most the time. It's just on one console you'll have to pay $70 and on the other you'll get it through your subscription.
Those numbers were based on 8 months. That's not "nearly a year". Discounts on it have been temporary and I'm not aware of any time it was discounted for half the cost. Not disagreeing with any other points. Just that your use of Ghost of Tsushima is off. I get where you're going with it though.

Redlancet

Banned
lol at people who thinks xbox losing relevance on the retail shelves is something a good thing now,man this shows how ignorant are some people how the real world works

Interfectum

lol at people who thinks xbox losing relevance on the retail shelves is something a good thing now,man this shows how ignorant are some people how the real world works
It's not good or bad, it's change. As game pass grows the retail market will be far less important, especially for physical game sales. Not sure how this is in conflict with 'the real world.'

Do you look at DVD / BR sales charts for Netflix or Disney+ shows?

Wizz-Art

I also wouldn't trust PS to keep the digital storefronts up and running in the future after the news they're closing the digital stores for their older systems. So I would always buy physical media on PS just to be sure.

On Xbox however I buy 100% digitally, because they've shown since their 360 store went up that they maintain the ecosystem even on new gen consoles. Oh and there's this little thing called Game Pass discount, obviously you only get that discount if you buy from the Xbox store.

Mmnow

Those numbers were based on 8 months. That's not "nearly a year". Discounts on it have been temporary and I'm not aware of any time it was discounted for half the cost. Not disagreeing with any other points. Just that your use of Ghost of Tsushima is off. I get where you're going with it though.
I get you're just going for accuracy, and I appreciate that - I should have double checked when it came out. But even if it sold another 6 million units during those last four months (which it won't), it still would have sold to less than 10 per cent of console owners.

By the way, I got it for half off at Christmas through Amazon, and I'm not sure that was a particularly competitive price at the time. I remember feeling bummed out for importing it from Italy of all places for £30 and then everywhere doing it at that price just afterwards.

Not that that does anybody any good now - it's back to full price. Which probably goes to help my point rather than hurt it.

Last edited:

johnjohn

Gamepass was introduced as a Panic button last resort when Microsoft was demolished by the PS4 and the software sales were lopsided towards the PS4. That was the only way Microsoft can compete with Sony.

Its amusing when I see people trying to downplay the huge split in sales and blaming it on gamepass. Even before gamepass was introduced, the split was 65% to 80% in favor of the PS4 depending on the game genre. People are buying more software on the PS4 simply because of the userbase. More hardware = more software.

And you see this with every multiplatform game that doesn't launch on gamepass day 1. Its the same split.

Now imagine what is the split like outside of the UK and US (UK and US are Xbox stongest markets) . Microsoft is in trouble.
MS is in trouble the same way Netflix is in trouble lol.

DaGwaphics

Phil and the devs who sell their game on game pass have repeatedly said it’s boosted game sales of said games.

They've never said that it increased sales at launch week on Xbox, which is what the post you've quoted was talking about. LOL

Will all the GP players cause a bit of a spike in sales on Steam or PS store, maybe, would be hard to tell. Will the dev net more down the road between in-game purchases and whatever they made when they put the game in there, hard to tell from the outside.

Varteras

Gold Member
I get you're just going for accuracy, and I appreciate that - I should have double checked when it came out. But even if it sold another 6 million units during those last four months (which it won't), it still would have sold to less than 10 per cent of console owners.

By the way, I got it for half off at Christmas through Amazon, and I'm not sure that was a particularly competitive price at the time. I remember feeling bummed out for importing it from Italy of all places for £30 and then everywhere doing it at that price just afterwards.

Not that that does anybody any good now - it's back to full price. Which probably goes to help my point rather than hurt it.
Nah you're good. It really doesn't matter that much as I'm sure there are plenty of examples to give that back up your points.

Interfectum

Phil and the devs who sell their game on game pass have repeatedly said it’s boosted game sales of said games.
I don't think there have been many AAA day/date game releases on Game Pass. Seems to me it's more about older games being put on the service and it getting more exposure again through the social aspects of the console and social media.

Yes, but why would it boost them week one and physical? It takes people time to play the game and see if they like it. And then the game is already downloaded on their console and they get a discount to buy it through GamePass. So why would they go out and buy a physical copy?

TBiddy

Yes, but why would it boost them week one and physical? It takes people time to play the game and see if they like it. And then the game is already downloaded on their console and they get a discount to buy it through GamePass. So why would they go out and buy a physical copy?

Don't ruin the thread with your logic and facts. Can't you see the pitchforks and torches are out?

Kerotan

On xbox u can buy off argentina store which is cheap. You can then pay 50% of that reduced price if u digital share with a friend.....
You can digital share with your friend on PlayStation too and many of my friends do.

You the see the point we're now making is full ownership of games isn't that expensive. Much prefer the ideas me and you have said then bull shit subscriptions you're dependant on that over time will go up in price.

Mmnow

You the see the point we're now making is full ownership of games isn't that expensive. Much prefer the ideas me and you have said then bull shit subscriptions you're dependant on that over time will go up in price.
"We can game the system and get regional pricing!" and "I timeshare my games with my friends" are not particularly good advertisements for traditional selling methods.

Try again lol. They say that Steam sales tripled because of Game Pass.

LOL. Because there is a GamePass on PC and people will buy game on Steam, go figure. :/ MS shot down his own service 8 years ago. Of course, because it was crap as shit. Btw. in article there is no single mention of PC, but Xbox by developer. Nice try, though.

Last edited:
Its not worldwide though and article says retail only.

And Why subscription sales compared to one time retail sales anyway?

Do people compare HBO max version earnings of Snyder cut or Godzilla with theater release? So why compare Game pass vs Uk sales lol

Yeah, this is a UK only, as the OP is saying. We will see NPD next month and how it stands in sales. And also a next month for the whole PAL region

Last edited:
Once those 23 studios start pumping out monthly games there's no doubt MS will be more choosy over what they get from third parties. They'll still open their wallets for the heavy hitters though.

Monthly? Maybe DLCs on monthly basis or small episodic games. If they INCREASE work force significantly in every studio to releasing high caliber games at that pace. Still very highly unlikely. Racing games, sports games, sure, but others like some big RPGs and shooters, or action adventure games.... . Halo Infinite is a 6 years in a production and more than 500 people are working it.

We just literally witnessed games raising in price to 70 dollars thanks to Sony. Yes, pricing may increase on gamepass but games might become 80 dollars. We are already seeing pointless 100 dollar versions of games as well as having micro transactions and season passes.

...here is a tough fact to swallow sometimes. Everything has the chance to go up in price and probably will.

Nope. Sony wasn't the first who raised the price for games. Do some research

Some of the people in this thread are legitimately stupid. Or maybe super young I can’t tell. But either way if the thread was made to illustrate that Gamepass is useless or not viable or something - I am embarrassed for you.

So where’s the proof? Or when Phil says something it’s fact now?

Why would developers lie about it?

Also, why the fuck do people think that Game Pass increases game sales on day one?

How about monthly where sales should be really evident?

Gears 5.

Launch month September NPD placed at No 7 on overall chart or 3rd on Xbone chart

Next month Gears 5 fell of the top 20 on overall chart and drop to the 10th place on Xbone chart :

Definition of Gamepass is increasing sales i guess. :/

Last edited:

Goalus

Not physical sales though.
Almost no one on Xbox buys boxed games anymore.

(I admit I do every once in a while if I see a really cheap offer.)

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Nope. Sony wasn't the first who raised the price for games. Do some research
Sony was the one of the big three hardware manufacturers that did it and signed the deal in blood. They will have been communicating with their third party partners well in advance of us hearing about it too.

it doesn’t matter who went first, Sony made that shit a standard for their console.

Sony was the one of the big three hardware manufacturers that did it and signed the deal in blood. They will have been communicating with their third party partners well in advance of us hearing about it too.

it doesn’t matter who went first, Sony made that shit a standard for their console.

A standard on the PS5? Sooner or later will be a standard on Xbox too. 3rd party publishers surely started to push 70$ games on console platforms last year, others will follow sooner or later. Don't worry.

How about monthly where sales should be really evident?

Gears 5.

Launch month September NPD placed at No 7 on overall chart or 3rd on Xbone chart

Next month Gears 5 fell of the top 20 on overall chart and drop to the 10th place on Xbone chart :

Definition of Gamepass is increasing sales i guess. :/
No one cares - if everyone is on gamepass (which is msofts goal) these games get ZERO sales until they’re off the service (unless you are an incredibly stupid person). Why in the fuck would you buy a game you have for free with a paid subscription? Like are we judging Netflix off of how many dvds they’re selling what? It’s simple logic - whatever quote you’re talking about with the “increased sales” thing has nothing to do with either of the situations you are providing evidence for.

No one cares - if everyone is on gamepass (which is msofts goal) these games get ZERO sales until they’re off the service (unless you are an incredibly stupid person). Why in the fuck would you buy a game you have for free with a paid subscription? Like are we judging Netflix off of how many dvds they’re selling what? It’s simple logic - whatever quote you’re talking about with the “increased sales” thing has nothing to do with either of the situations you are providing evidence for.

No one cares? Ask Phil Spencer then.

Tommi84

I'm sure square enix ran the numbers and sales projections before accepting the deal from microsoft. Clearly it was worth it for them.
Or, just maybe 'or':

The executives of SE screwed up the info and made a mistake and will lose more money on this deal than selling the game normally.

And so we are clear - I'm not saying they are. I wish them all the best. Just olease remember that execs can make mistakes :l

MrS

Banned
same people praising this game are the ones who slated Godfall lmao get the fuck outta here

Sygma

Outriders is a much better game than Godfall.

Outriders has a much better endgame structure but both games excel at what they do on the combat / loot side so I don't know really. Since the primal update Godfall is actually pretty good

I'm not used to these loot games so I have many doubts. I've played the demo and enjoyed it but there are points there aren't clear to me.

Do you have to stay online to play it?

Does this game have a single player campaign or is it multiplayer based?

And what makes a loot based game different from others like Uncharted or Gears?

I'm not used to these loot games so I have many doubts. I've played the demo and enjoyed it but there are points there aren't clear to me.

Do you have to stay online to play it?

Does this game have a single player campaign or is it multiplayer based?

And what makes a loot based game different from others like Uncharted or Gears?
Yes it requires an internet connection

It has a campaign that you can play solo or co-op (like Gears)

A loot game like this is different than those others because in this game you are constantly getting better and better loot with new abilities and powers. This one is also deeper than the others because there is a huge skill tree and multiple classes, which combined with the huge variety of loot allows you to create all kinds of builds.

Top Bottom