• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outriders retails at 17% in UK on Xbox (due to being free to all XGPU subscribers), PlayStation 4/5 has 83% of retail sales

GHG

Am I missing something here? If it's on game pass, why would anyone with an Xbox buy it?

The previous narrative was that it leads to increased sales due to the increased exposure but the reality is very different.

Like you said, why would someone buy the game when it's available day one on the service? I've been laughed at when I've previously stated I would buy games that released day one on gamepass after trying them out and liking them. I was told the developers have already been paid so I don't need to buy it. Apparently also buying games is against the gamepass code of conduct.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Shouldn’t gamepass be bolstering sales? According to lying Phil anyways.
7e4.jpg

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
People who only have a PS5 are not going to buy an Xbox just to play Outriders so this isn't a surprise at all. If anything, it's more about how many people are playing the game. If there's more people playing the game on Xbox than there is PlayStation, that's a success.

I for one am happy that I didn't buy the game. The servers have sucked since launch and it's not like Square Enix is going to invest into making them better so via Game Pass, I'll play this game once the servers become far more stable and reliable. If I spent $60 and couldn't play the game, I would be pissed. Thankfully, that's not the case.

GHG

Yeah I'm sorry, but who cares?

If anything this shows that 17% of Xbox players are fucking morons.

Since when does purchasing a game you want make you a "moron"?

As have numerous devs.

For obscure indie games with little to no marketing budget and minimal exposure I can see that being the case but in general (and especially in cases where the game has a sizable marketing budget backing it up)? No chance.

Banned
The previous narrative was that it leads to increased sales due to the increased exposure but the reality is very different.

Like you said, why would someone buy the game when it's available day one on the service? I've been laughed at when I've previously stated I would buy games that released day one on gamepass after trying them out and liking them. I was told the developers have already been paid so I don't need to buy it. Apparently also buying games is against the gamepass code of conduct.

uhm, you know that "exposure" needs time. people need to actually first PLAY the game in order to EXPOSE others to it by telling them to get it.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Gamepass is that good it genuinely has anyone who doesn’t subscribe legit shook and trying to make any point they can to knock the service, while everyone else is just playing the games.

What level on outriders are you op?

game is effing great, I’m loving the trickster class.

Last edited:
I don't think it's a bad thing that the developer is selling the game. I understand why people might not buy it on Xbox but I'm pretty sure the dev got paid for it being on gamepass.

With that said I'm still wondering what's better for the developer. Selling copies or having people download it off gamepass. I wish we had some numbers to look at.

thelastword

Banned
A game being on gamepass does not mean it's being played or downloaded at a massive rate. A game bought means the gamer is most likely playing right now. 83% sales rate on PS is bonkers, however, this has been par for the course since last gen and I don't see that changing this gen......It's already looking like the ratio between the consoles installbase are already 2:1 in PS5's favor and that's with low supply as well....

martino

i'm more curious about what are physical flat numbers of one game during one week we are generalizing an absolute reasoning here

Last edited:

GHG

uhm, you know that "exposure" needs time. people need to actually first PLAY the game in order to EXPOSE others to it by telling them to get it.

When expert marketing teams are making sure you know about the game by ramming it down your throat, hyping it up and pushing you to pre-order? No, exposure does not always require time. The sales for games that are heavily marketed are typically front-loaded.

Indie titles generally don't have such luxury so those will rely on word of mouth, which is the exact example I cited where gamepass can result in an uptick in sales.

Stuart360

Since when does purchasing a game you want make you a "moron"?

For obscure indie games with little to no marketing budget and minimal exposure I can see that being the case but in general (and especially in cases where the game has a sizable marketing budget backing it up)? No chance.
People forget that you get a 20% discount on buying games with Gamepass. How many people use Gamepass to actually buy games?. It would be worth having Gamepass in that situation if you are a gamer that buys a decent amount of games.
Also, and this always never gets mentioned in these kind of threads, devs dont have to put games on Gamepass you know, they will get paid a handsome amount by Microsoft. Pre-orders have been up a good 2 or 3 months now and obvioulsly the deal Square got seemed fair compared to preorders.

Also i would imagine that because games are 'free' on Gmaepass (not free but you get me), gamers may be more willing to spend money on dlc and mtx as they didnt have to pay $60-70 for the actual game. That could be another way devs view Gamepass as good for them.

Zeroing

Banned
A game being on gamepass does not mean it's being played or downloaded at a massive rate. A game bought means the gamer is most likely playing right now. 83% sales rate on PS is bonkers, however, this has been par for the course since last gen and I don't see that changing this gen......It's already looking like the ratio between the consoles installbase are already 2:1 in PS5's favor and that's with low supply as well....
Shhh do not use logic , some brains around here, might, explode.

Gamepass is that good it genuinely has anyone who doesn’t subscribe legit shook and trying to make any point they can to knock the service, while everyone else is just playing the games.

What level on outriders are you op?

game is effing great, I’m loving the trickster class.

Well my stance on gamepass is this. As long as it's not the only option I'm fine with it existing. I always enjoy buying copies because I feel like I'm supporting the developers more.

Gamepass is a good value but there's nothing wrong with buying copies of the game. Just like there's nothing wrong with playing the game via gamepass.

No, sales figures don't include the Xbox version which is probably more people than on ps5.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
When expert marketing teams are making sure you know about the game by ramming it down your throat, hyping it up and pushing you to pre-order? No, exposure does not always require time. The sales for games that are heavily marketed are typically front-loaded.

Indie titles generally don't have such luxury so those will rely on word of mouth, which is the exact example I cited where gamepass can result in an uptick in sales.

yeah but gamepass increase sales usually come from word of mouth, so your mates log on and see there other friends playing. If for what crazy reason they don’t now own gamepass, which was more the case three years ago when Phil made those initial comments, they may go on the store and purchase the game so they can play with their pals after hearing positive comments.

Now I bet more peeps are just subscribers so sales won’t be as large as they were but what matters a lot to companies is MAU. if this game now has an extra couple of million players thx to gamepass And looking at the servers being battered, the game has been a larger success than they imagined it’s better for the company when they disclose these figures to their share holders

Leyasu

Banned

Why would any subscriber buy the game that just released on the service? At the moment we don't know how long the game will be there.

This is not one of your better posts mate

MaulerX

What's the ouch for? It likely has far more players on Xbox, and the visibility of the game thanks to Game Pass is likely increasing sales across all platforms.

Exactly. People think "incresed sales" mean Xbox only. Putting a game on Game Pass creates a halo effect and helps increase sales across all platforms by mere exposure and word of mouth. Publishers have already spoken about this phenomenon.

Top Bottom