• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Our Lord and Savior Gaben is looking extra good lately

diffusionx

Gold Member
It’s gotta be it, right?
They don’t even know what the side effects are gonna be years from now, right?
When you see some rich person now who comes out and all of the sudden has lost a ton of weight, yea, it's ozempic. That or cancer, I guess, but you don't update your company profile pic as you are ravaged with a terminal disease. I think.

And no we don't know the long term side effects.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
When you see some rich person now who comes out and all of the sudden has lost a ton of weight, yea, it's ozempic. That or cancer, I guess, but you don't update your company profile pic as you are ravaged with a terminal disease. I think.

And no we don't know the long term side effects.
A rich person on this level can get in shape easily without drugs. Pay a chef to cook all your meals so they're perfectly calculated to your needs and delicious. Pay a personal trainer to tell you exactly what to do and when. Literally all you have to do is just follow simple directions and try.

Inuteu

I prefer when he look more wild.
I miss when he look like this and valve still release games
Gabe-newell-arms-crossed.jpg

diffusionx

Gold Member
A rich person on this level can get in shape easily without drugs. Pay a chef to cook all your meals so they're perfectly calculated to your needs and delicious. Pay a personal trainer to tell you exactly what to do and when. Literally all you have to do is just follow simple directions and try.

Gabe's been rich for a long time, and been fat for a long time.

I'm not even knocking the guy for taking the drug, but yea it's the drug.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
He looks like he lifts. That shirt is barely containing the shoulders.

As an outsider on the PC scene, I do find it pretty surprising that people are fine just not knowing that. I would assume they will sell it eventually, or at the very least take it public. And honestly, if more and more players are moving towards PC, it really makes me question the wisdom of funneling everything through Steam. At least with 1st party stores you know that some of the 30% tax on everything is getting funneled back into games. With Valve it's just siphoning off 30% of everything on PC and it doesn't go to anything. It's being extracted from the industry. People seem to be too heavily invested in Gabe's persona. For all the shit Phil Spencer gets, no one writes headlines like this one for him. PC gamers should be thinking more critically about their library investments and the future.
Because Steam IS good. You say that this 30% is not going anywhere, that is false because you just have to look at what Steam offers compared to any other store (whether on consoles or PC for that matter) to understand that they invest heavily in their platform. The fact that you can buy a game and after 2 hours, no matter what, refund it is nice. Or the forum, which are a mine of information to the point that they are used by games that are not even on Steam. Steam is also very straightforward to send a clear message to a developer/publisher who has done shit by using these forums or rating negatively.

Steam is also a very, very open platform. Look at what they did with VR for example. They never block anything on their store. We know that as long as Gabe is at the helm, Steam will always be on the players' side. The only other good store I know is GOG. The rest is piss and shit.

Punished Miku

Because Steam IS good. You say that this 30% is not going anywhere, that is false because you just have to look at what Steam offers compared to any other store (whether on consoles or PC for that matter) to understand that they invest heavily in their platform. The fact that you can buy a game and after 2 hours, no matter what, refund it is nice. Or the forum, which are a mine of information to the point that they are used by games that are not even on Steam. Steam is also very straightforward to send a clear message to a developer/publisher who has done shit by using these forums or rating negatively.

Steam is also a very, very open platform. Look at what they did with VR for example. They never block anything on their store. We know that as long as Gabe is at the helm, Steam will always be on the players' side. The only other good store I know is GOG. The rest is piss and shit.
I'm not saying Steam isn't a good store. I just don't know if you were really grappling with the point I was making. In a future where more people migrate to PC, sacrificing 30% of the industry to a company that doesn't reinvest any of that into games is just funneling money out. They could take 5% of all sales and be able to update their store however they want and be fabulously wealthy.

Jacob0101

Savior? LOL. Fuck him.

Digital copies of games should be cheaper, not more expensive. He caused that physical games don't exist on PC, and as a result, players no longer truly own their games.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
It’s not a cure. It’s a bandaid that comes with lots of issues like reduction in muscle mass and other side effects. For some it may still be worth it if they can’t fix their behavior

The cure is healthy eating and lifestyle.
Funny how this has been known since ancient times but people will do whatever it takes to circumvent it. Eat well and exercise regularly. Boom. There is no super duper secret remedy or some hidden medical paradigm that we need to discover.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
It’s gotta be it, right?
They don’t even know what the side effects are gonna be years from now, right?

Semaglutide, the API in Ozempic, was originally approved by the FDA in 2017 for diabetes management. It belongs to a class of drugs called GLP-1 agonists which have been around for nearly 20 years. The side effects are pretty well-established by now, and like any drug, these medications are not necessarily benign. For example, there's a black box warning for this class due to a theoretical increased risk of thyroid cancer as observed during rodent studies in the trial phase.

Tirzepatide, the API in Mounjaro/Zepbound, is to date the only drug in its class, as it works not only on GLP-1 but also GIP receptors, but the general side effect profile largely overlaps that of the aforementioned drugs.

Skifi28

Gold Member
As an outsider on the PC scene, I do find it pretty surprising that people are fine just not knowing that. I would assume they will sell it eventually, or at the very least take it public. And honestly, if more and more players are moving towards PC, it really makes me question the wisdom of funneling everything through Steam. At least with 1st party stores you know that some of the 30% tax on everything is getting funneled back into games. With Valve it's just siphoning off 30% of everything on PC and it doesn't go to anything. It's being extracted from the industry. People seem to be too heavily invested in Gabe's persona. For all the shit Phil Spencer gets, no one writes headlines like this one for him. PC gamers should be thinking more critically about their library investments and the future.
I agree with the part about investing everything in a single platform that is too dependant on a single person and has an unkown future. Though, it's a great platform with many benefits so it's also easy to see why people prefer it. I don't agree with the part about the 30% going nowhere. Valve has done more for PC gaming over the years than anyone else and continues to do so. From turning pirates into gamers, giving the consumer power with a great refund policy to managing to make linux gaming almost plug and play. Without Valve and Gabe PC gaming would probably be an afterthought right now, which is why mentioning Spencer in the same stence is just heresy as he did the opposite, getting something very popular and making it irrelevant over the years.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I really hope it's not Ozempic. There's a world of difference between being healthy and looking healthy.
Maybe all these rich people decided at exactly the same time to lose all this weight, and it just so happened to coincide with the arrival of a new much-hyped "wonder drug" that helps people lose weight, but they ignored that drug and decided to eat light and exercise. Or maybe they're just taking the damn drug.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I'm not saying Steam isn't a good store. I just don't know if you were really grappling with the point I was making. In a future where more people migrate to PC, sacrificing 30% of the industry to a company that doesn't reinvest any of that into games is just funneling money out. They could take 5% of all sales and be able to update their store however they want and be fabulously wealthy.
But do you have actual numbers to back those claim? Because running a store like Steam is costing a lot of money. Of course, Valve is not to complain and I agree that they could reduce the 30%, still they are the best right now.

Steam also allows publishers to generate keys for free, and by doing so they take a 0% cut. Meaning you can host a website to sell your game with generated Steam keys without giving Valve any money. Also Steam is offering you tons of services when you are a dev and they will always try to do the best they can to accommodate you. Like Steam save clouds, or just the store page. If you are doing it by yourself it cost money, they also host your files, the bandwidth to download games is not free. Remote play, family sharing etc etc... Tons of services. And 30% is the basic %, after a certain number of copies sold, the percentage reduces little by little (I no longer have the exact numbers in mind but it can be found on the internet)

And of course I would love to see a Portal 3, or a Team Fortress 3, or Half Life 3 but it is what it is. At least we know that when Valve is releasing a game, it's gonna be a masterpiece. And they tried to do HL3, they just didn't found a good story to justify it so they abandoned the project. I'd rather see this than IP's being milked to death. It's not because they don't release games often that they don't inject money.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I once saw a list of all the features Valve has added to Steam over the prior whatever years, and it was a huge list. Objectively they plow a lot more of this money into the service than companies like Epic and MS do. To say that Valve isn't reinvesting "any" of that into games is just false. Not to mention that by releasing stuff like Steam Deck, they open up a whole new market for the game makers to sell to. I bet a LOT of games have been sold just because people want games that play well on Steam Deck.

Also Valve runs three of the biggest service games on the market. They just released a major update of one of them (CS2). They released the best VR game that is still the best VR game in 2020. I don't know where this idea that they just hoard their money like Smaug comes from.

Punished Miku

But do you have actual numbers to back those claim? Because running a store like Steam is costing a lot of money. Of course, Valve is not to complain and I agree that they could reduce the 30%, still they are the best right now.

Steam also allows publishers to generate keys for free, and by doing so they take a 0% cut. Meaning you can host a website to sell your game with generated Steam keys without giving Valve any money. Also Steam is offering you tons of services when you are a dev and they will always try to do the best they can to accommodate you. Like Steam save clouds, or just the store page. If you are doing it by yourself it cost money, they also host your files, the bandwidth to download games is not free. Remote play, family sharing etc etc... Tons of services. And 30% is the basic %, after a certain number of copies sold, the percentage reduces little by little (I no longer have the exact numbers in mind but it can be found on the internet)

And of course I would love to see a Portal 3, or a Team Fortress 3, or Half Life 3 but it is what it is. At least we know that when Valve is releasing a game, it's gonna be a masterpiece. And they tried to do HL3, they just didn't found a good story to justify it so they abandoned the project. I'd rather see this than IP's being milked to death. It's not because they don't release games often that they don't inject money.
No I don't have numbers especially since they're not even a publicly listed company, I just know that even last place Xbox store does a lot of the same assistance stuff for developers, hosting downloads, cloud saves, family sharing, remote and cloud, and puts out hardware sold at a loss and funds a lot of games and they don't have the sales numbers Steam has. Anyway, just sharing my thoughts on it. PC gamers are clearly happy with the arrangement.

If you look at the photo in photoshop, zoom in on the light reflection in his glasses and inverse the saturation..

It says... Half Life 3.

Or I am high. Actually. I am high.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
No I don't have numbers especially since they're not even a publicly listed company, I just know that even last place Xbox store does a lot of the same assistance stuff for developers, hosting downloads, cloud saves, family sharing, remote and cloud, and puts out hardware sold at a loss and funds a lot of games and they don't have the sales numbers Steam has. Anyway, just sharing my thoughts on it. PC gamers are clearly happy with the arrangement.
That comparison is biased at best. Xbox Store doesn't offer 1/4 of what Steam does, the store is a joke and is still horrible to use on PC despite years of disponibility. It's an insult to just put them in the same sentence.
And Xbox is a console seller, nothing in common with Steam as they NEED to have a store. There is a reason why people use Steam and why editors like Ubi/EA and yes, even Xbox crawl back to Valve.

Also, dev and editors don't lose 30% of profit, they are gaining 100% of revenue. This is a big difference as you better with 70% of a sale rather than 100% of nothing. How many indie games exploded thanks to Steam for example?

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Ozempic's a hell of a drug
Sure is. Wife has done it for a month and lost 25 lbs.

Edit: Unless I have the name wrong? She paid through our insurance only $189 or something for a batch and it lasts her 3 weeks I think?

Last edited:
I found out a friend of mine is on Ozempic during a lunch at a steakhouse. I told him that it's not working while he was digging into his steak. I thought that stuff was supposed to kill your appetite.

tronied

What the heck is going on with his neck? It either looks like some badly pasted his head on someone else's body. Either that or he has some weird angular tumour sticking out of it.

FunkMiller

Give us thine blessed new Steam machine console, Gaben on high!
Smitest tho the unholy Sony and Microsoft!
Bring us thy divine under the tv PC box, with fully upgradeable GPU!

Top Bottom