• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Orangee (Gravity Rush leaker) claims a MediEvil 2 remake will be shadowdropped at next month's PlayStation event

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
sevYGZo.png

nial

Gold Member
Can you please add this to the OP? Perrott Perrott
It looks like the original news article misinterpreted some stuff, and it's also of a bigger budget than the 2019 game.
Before anyone freaks out, the $70 part is the mod's own speculation, it could very well be $40-$50, which is already more than what the PS4 title ever cost.

Perrott

Gold Member
Can you please add this to the OP? Perrott Perrott
It looks like the original news article misinterpreted some stuff, and it's also of a bigger budget than the 2019 game.
Before anyone freaks out, the $70 part is the mod's own speculation, it could very well be $40-$50, which is already more than what the PS4 title ever cost.

OP updated.

DGrayson DGrayson can the title be changed to "Orangee (Gravity Rush leaker) claims a MediEvil 2 remake is in the works, might be shown at next month's PlayStation event"?

AuLLMgt.gif

Last edited:

CamHostage

If it's cheap for them and it sells enough to recoup costs then it's ok, besides it won't be Made by a first party studio. I loved medievil and medievil 2 deserves some love too.

I guess? Other Ocean Interactive isn't a AAA-level developer (which is fine, "fun" is still fun,) and the studio has experience at working with IP they don't own (some developers are careful/picky about that,) so this is one of those projects that I could give or take and not care about where it fits into the big picture of PlayStation games. Remaster an old hit, see if it's got new life in it, make something fun...

But still, I'm consistently confused why it is that Medievil the brand that's getting the love, not all the other franchises that Sony has fridged?

Like, there must be other developers out there who would love to make/remake a PS classic, even on a budget. And why stop at just Medievil, wouldn't Other Ocean do just as good a job remaking fun stuff like Running Wild or Mark of Kri on this kind of budget? Aren't there studios of this caliber out there who could do a similarly good job on a budget with franchises like Syphon Filter or Warhawk PS1 or Omega Boost? Ghost in the Shell is celebrating its 30th anniversary next year, how about remaking the PS1 game for that? Consider the indie community: now there's a team trying to do Colony Wars Redux, why not license that and make these dudes' day? WHERE'S MY F***ING JET MOTO?!?

(*Not to bash, for those who enjoy Medievil. I did not love Medievil 1 or 2 nor the two remakes, but I still appreciate that it has fans. Takes all kinds.)

CamHostage

Someone at Sony has to really love this series

It's very strange to me, I can't figure out who that "someone" is?

If Medievil was being made by some salvage studio formed by former SCE/Guerrilla Cambridge staffers offering Sony a deal on development cost if they can resurrect their brand, then that'd make some sense, but Medievil PS4 was made in California by a team that has no relation, as far as I can tell. (I did see in the credits several who worked on the Death Jr. franchise, which has a similar Burton vibe to it, and that makes sense that they may have treasured Medievil back in the day, but it's still a stretch to go from fan to developer on an otherwise retired franchise.) A podcast about the first game said that Sony worked with "some of the talent that [was] originally associated with the title 20 years ago", but the only connection I can find in the PS4 Medievil credits is that Chris Sorrell and Jason Wilson of Cambridge were "consultants" on this in between other jobs.

Also, there's already been the jokes that Shawn Layden somehow fanboyed the first game's PS4 remake into existence, and maybe there's some actual smoke in that burn, but still would be very surprised if he had the pull to do it a second time before leaving (although maybe Other Ocean could have rigged the contract for both games at the same time... and maybe somehow they got a stay of execution even while other Sony studios had cuts?)

I mean, I get that Medievil has its fans (well, I feel like there are Sir Dan Fortesque fans, at the very least,) and if the first game is going to get a redux, the second game is just as deserving (and has the fun break-away Dan Hand.) Still, every time this franchise comes back, I feel special Confuse-Face muscles start flexing hard for the first time since Sony brought back Hardware Online Arena. Twice.

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
It's very strange to me, I can't figure out who that "someone" is?

If Medievil was being made by some salvage studio formed by former SCE/Guerrilla Cambridge staffers offering Sony a deal on development cost if they can resurrect their brand, then that'd make some sense, but Medievil PS4 was made in California by a team that has no relation, as far as I can tell. (I did see in the credits several who worked on the Death Jr. franchise, which has a similar Burton vibe to it, and that makes sense that they may have treasured Medievil back in the day, but it's still a stretch to go from fan to developer on an otherwise retired franchise.) A podcast about the first game said that Sony worked with "some of the talent that [was] originally associated with the title 20 years ago", but the only connection I can find in the PS4 Medievil credits is that Chris Sorrell and Jason Wilson of Cambridge were "consultants" on this in between other jobs.

Also, there's already been the jokes that Shawn Layden somehow fanboyed the first game's PS4 remake into existence, and maybe there's some actual smoke in that burn, but still would be very surprised if he had the pull to do it a second time before leaving (although maybe Other Ocean could have rigged the contract for both games at the same time... and maybe somehow they got a stay of execution even while other Sony studios had cuts?)
The likelier explanation might be that the folks over a PlayStation Productions wanted to explore doing a MediEvil movie/show, and in response to that PlayStation Studios decided to go "fuck it, why not?" and greenlit another remake from the series.

The same was true of another, long-forgotten property such as Twisted Metal, of which a game project was started as a result of the TV show being developed. Unfortunately, that game was canceled, but you get my point.

Last edited:

CamHostage

The likelier explanation might be that the folks over a PlayStation Productions wanted to explore doing a MediEvil movie/show...

The same was true of another, long-forgotten property such as Twisted Metal...

Fair guess.

The idea of a Medievil project at PS Productions even came up in a rumour last year.

However, PlayStation Productions does not seem to be overtly tied to the game studio schedule. (A Jak&Daxter movie is supposedly in development, but we have no sign of a new Jak game... yet. Same for Gravity Rush and Days Gone and JetMoto scripts... ok, I'm just wishfully thinking that last one, but it would be an awesome flick!)

Twisted Metal isn't exactly a "forgotten" brand either; stalled out, maybe forever, but too familiar to be forgotten at this point. it makes sense to me that both the TV and Game divisions wanted to see if there's still gas in the tank. (Especially PS Productions, which back then was looking for anything that would stick, and a big flaming ice cream clown was as sticky as anything in the portfolio. )

If PS Productions thought a live-action Medievil would work for the Wednesday/Stranger Things/Sabrina/Rick&Morty modern audience (Sir Dan as a sexy teen?), I think they would have just done it with or without a game tie-in. But PS WWS would also see the value in tying in, if all went well.

Last edited:
The SCEE ips are underrated as fuck, SCEE in general did not get fair shakes.

So the idea of one of them still being alive in the 2020s is amazing, I hope this is true.

You know what else Sony needs to reboot? Ghosthunter, it could be Ghostbusters as a AAA Uncharted esque third person shooter.

Fahdis

Btw, I forgot to add. MediEvil is like the perfect Tim Burton-esque clay style videogame for Halloween. I have played alot of games, but this one was sorta perfect in that regard. Too bad I didn't play it in season.

Hopefully the first MediEvil gets a 4k/60fps upgrade. I mean If they are working in the second game It should be easy for them to release an Upgrade Patch for the first one too.🤷🏻

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Holy shit, it’s like people would take just any turd remade from Sony but Medievil :messenger_grinning_sweat:

The first game was a PS classic, and it was still fun when I replayed it a few years ago (never played the remakes).
2 was a significant step back, and a remake could fix its issues.
Anyway, what would people rather get? Another coat of paint on a game not 10 years old?

StueyDuck

i thought the first remakes sales were considered disappointing were they not?

i understand the first remake, medievil is part of PS iconography, but yeaaaaaah, not sure we need the sequel remade.

I'd rather they put that same energy into other PS1 classics, maybe get some ape escape as already mentioned, or some syphon filter, wild arms etc. the list can go on.

EDIT: Just saw the fake post...

either way i stand by my comment

Last edited:
Top Bottom