• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill 2 Fans Aren't Happy With Bloober's New Remake Trailer

Audiophile

Gold Member
There's much more to be disappointed about than just the combat. The game looks like shit.

Like what even are these PS3-ass graphics

53502604083_970a394fdb_o.png

This shot stuck out like a sore thumb.

If these are just placeholder textures then someone should have gone in and manually replaced them for the trailer; if they're not placeholder and are representative then it's clear the quality bar isn't very high. In either case it doesn't reflect well.

Some may just say it's a cherry-picked shot but such godawful textures in this day and age that could easily be replaced shows a lack of care. If it's part of an automated system and the quality just is what it is then someone should go in an manually adjust the variables for the specific area.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
This shot stuck out like a sore thumb.

If these are just placeholder textures then someone should have gone in and manually replaced them for the trailer; if they're not placeholder and are representative then it's clear the quality bar isn't very high. In either case it doesn't reflect well.

Some may just say it's a cherry-picked shot but such godawful textures in this day and age that could easily be replaced shows a lack of care. If it's part of an automated system and the quality just is what it is then someone should go in an manually adjust the variables for the specific area.

Yep. You can't complain about "cherry-picked shots" when the trailer that Konami/Bloober decided to present is cherry-picked in-and-of-itself to show the game in the absolute best light possible already.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
First Trailer comes out.
Where's the gameplay, it all cutscenes and him walking.
fucking bloober, this is gonna suck!

Gameplay Trailer comes out.
Fucking Bloober just don't get it, this is trash.
Why would you release a trailer with combat in it.
This proves Bloober doesn't know what they doing.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

killatopak

The main trailer does show combat, but it also shows a lot more than just that.

I think people forgot how amazing this looked back in the day. You can forgive how janky the combat is by how ahead of the curve this looked graphically. At that time, this janky looking combat is actually more common.

My issue with this trailer and Bloober is that they keep saying the game was done for a long time and were just waiting for Konami’s greenlight. I just find this absurd looking at what I saw. They don’t think this needs more improvement?

Despite my gripes, I would still get the game. I am very cautious now though. There is one thing I draw the line on and its story. If they fuck that up and get mentioned in reviews, I don’t think I’ll be getting it anymore until a steep discount.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I have a nuanced take on this one. I've been totally disinterested since the 1st trailer. I have virtually no interest in a remake of Silent Hill 2 and knew they would never be able to capture the magic of the original. It's the type of game where I don't want to see Maria with a new face, or anyone. I don't want new voices. I don't want re-recorded music. I am fine with the original. So I thought the new trailer looked rough, but this was what I've always thought.

What I don't get is people who thought this was going to be amazing suddenly changing their mind. It looks exactly like you would expect. Really. Looks like RE2 Remake meets Silent Hill 2. That's literally what this was always going to be.

Last edited:
Looked pretty good to me definitely nothing offensive I can't wait to play it
Yeah some people here have a hate boner for that dev team. I don't know why. They aren't giving them any chance. They also seem to want this to fail and no more silent hill games. I would be sad and pissed if that was to happen from people spreading fud and negativity. The game isn't out yet, Trailer looked fine to me and I have been a fan since sh1.

I think there are some people that only like sh2 and 3 and any other game is sacrilege.

To be fair, the combat in this trailer actually looks MORE like a wanna-be Resident Evil Remake. I mean, it's over the shoulder, and strongly focusing on combat with combat taking up majority of the trailer. Combat in OG SH games (1-4) was janky, and it DID exist. But I think it's odd to put out a trailer that has a bigger chunk of the combat rather than anything else, personally.
The first trailer lacked combat and people back then were asking to see combat....wala new trailer. Its a small snippet real of parts of the game, not the game.

MiguelItUp

I think people forgot how amazing this looked back in the day. You can forgive how janky the combat is by how ahead of the curve this looked graphically. At that time, this janky looking combat is actually more common.

My issue with this trailer and Bloober is that they keep saying the game was done for a long time and were just waiting for Konami’s greenlight. I just find this absurd looking at what I saw. They don’t think this needs more improvement?

Despite my gripes, I would still get the game. I am very cautious now though. There is one thing I draw the line on and its story. If they fuck that up and get mentioned in reviews, I don’t think I’ll be getting it anymore until a steep discount.
I couldn't agree more, and I'm right there with you. Honestly, it feels like a red flag in a lot of ways. Because if this is "done" or even in the polishing phase, why wouldn't you want to nab better quality footage. I just think a lot of it looked pretty rough.

I was always cautious about it, not because of Bloober or their reputation, but just because I loved the original game SO much. I had no expectations, but just hoped that it would at least be decent. If it wasn't, oh well, that's sad, but nothing is really lost as the original will always be there. Depending on what the final product is looking like will REALLY affect if I buy it day 1 or not.

The first trailer lacked combat and people back then were asking to see combat....wala new trailer. Its a small snippet real of parts of the game, not the game.
From what I had seen, people just wanted more in-game footage. Yes, of course, but that doesn't change the fact that it still looks rough when the game is said to be "done". I think it would've been better received if it was polished a bit more and featured a bit more of everything AND combat. Much like I said above, the whole "this game is complete" bit along with some of the quality of the footage and no release date feels pretty off-putting to me.

Last edited:
The problem is that the Game does not look japanese and feels like a cheap indie or fan project like all bloober team games... Still Akira Yamaoka Will be part of the project and it looks playable unlike the one in the SH HD Collection, I Will probably get it on a discount because 70 is too much for this remake.

Last edited:

TGO

The Medium launched on Xbox for a year, so everyone since then trashed them as the worst dev of all time. Before that, no one really talked about them too much.
Actually loads of people was praising The Medium on Xbox, I know because I showed interest and they was happy to give it praise.
But as soon as it was announced for PS5, it's trash.
They're hating of The Short Message and the people clearly haven't even played it from what they are saying.
So it's not exclusive to SH2 Remake

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Actually loads of people was praising The Medium on Xbox, I know because I showed interest and they was happy to give it praise.
They're hating of The Short Message and the people clearly haven't even played it from what they are saying.
I liked the Medium. It's clearly a AA game and has no combat but I liked the story and general exploration between dimensions. They don't seem like a bad developer at all, and SH2 is a step up graphically for them and has combat. I don't know what anyone was expecting.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Silent hill has combat since the first Game, what's wrong with them putting a trailer for that?
Because the game is intentionally NOT about good combat at all. It never was… same reason that a Jacob’s Ladder remake should not have the character engage in random martial art fights.

Last edited:

TGO

I liked the Medium. It's clearly a AA game and has no combat but I liked the story and general exploration between dimensions. They don't seem like a bad developer at all, and SH2 is a step up graphically for them and has combat. I don't know what anyone was expecting.
I mean I could understand if James did a roundhouse kick to a nurses head & was doing combo's with the drain pipe and SH2 was pure fixed camera.
But It wasn't, it was 3rd Person+ Fixed Camera.
tumblr_mr38ulKF1g1qatcfzo1_500.gifv

Everything that makes Silent Hill 2 a masterpiece is set in stone and will remain.
There is no reason for them to change it and over the shoulder perspective when shooting isn't gonna ruin it.

Last edited:

Gojiira

Not getting a ‘atmospheric’ vibe at all from Bloober. Looks dull for lack of a better word. Like the interiors just dont look right.
Combat Im taking with a grain of salt, the finished game ‘might’ not be as combat heavy as the trailer implies but man they need to fix a ton of things before this is acceptable.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
So much of this outrage feels really forced. Visually/content-wise there was nothing in that short snippet of a trailer that bothered me.
The issue for me was the music, which most probably was specific to the trailer, so I'm not too concerned even if I disliked it.

Last edited:

TGO

I think it was ok. Only problem I have with this remake is James' face, which makes him look like a cartoonish/Telltale character.
I think his face is okay, it the hair
And for some reason in this trailer he used
nsUy25H.png

They need to tone it down so it looks brown with a hint of blonde, like a Dark Ash Blonde

Boss Mog

This is the problem with gaming today. A company puts out a trailer. A few degenerate losers throw a tantrum on Twitter because it's not exactly what they want and then some woke gaming media outlet picks it and put's out a story for click-bait.

MiguelItUp

I think his face is okay, it the hair
And for some reason in this trailer he used
They need to tone it down so it looks brown with a hint of blonde, like a Dark Ash Blonde
Yeah, I never had an issue with his face. But via this in-game footage it does look like his face has been changed, at least compared to how he looked in the cinematics. Doesn't look the same. Thank you for bringing this up too, I have no idea what's going on with his hair, but it almost looks like it's glowing in some shots. Like the shadows or lighting doesn't know what to do with it? It was pretty distracting to me, lol.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I dunno how you feel but I feel like people are smoking that good stuff when they act like Downpour is one of the better things to release post-Team Silent. Same goes for Shattered Memories because that's held in high regard with some as well.

SH die hards confuse the hell out of me. 🤷
Downpour was a legit jewel mate. It’s biggest problem was it’s framerate. The game itself was amazing.

Matsuchezz

I mean I could understand if James did a roundhouse kick to a nurses head & was doing combo's with the drain pipe and SH2 was pure fixed camera.
But It wasn't, it was 3rd Person+ Fixed Camera.
tumblr_mr38ulKF1g1qatcfzo1_500.gifv

Everything that makes Silent Hill 2 a masterpiece is set in stone and will remain.
There is no reason for them to change it and over the shoulder perspective when shooting isn't gonna ruin it.
What I would like to see is that, when James hit the nurses with the drain pipe he should be able to break some bones, I mean not tear the arm apart, but enough damage that is visible. But that is asking too much from Bloober. A little gorier like RE2 but not a lot.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Holy smokes, I didn’t know SH2 remake was being handled by Bloober.

Damn. That’s a huge bummer for Silent Hill fans.

Esppiral

i think IS quite the opposite, as son as It was announced as an Xbox exclusive people started to Talk shit about the developers.
Happens anytime a game goes exclusive, the next exclusive kojima Xbox game of witch we know nothing? It Will be trash, the next exclusive PlayStation Kojima Game we know nothing about? OMG OMG! I can't wait.

Umbral

They are so off the mark tonally from what Silent Hill 2 is. I never believed they understood what they were attempting to do or the appeal of the original and this trailer all but confirms it. They shouldn’t have been let anywhere near the title, but Konami doesn’t care about its own history or legacy, so I suppose this makes sense.

trailer about combat focused on combat? color me surprised
Whoosh. That’s not the issue.
Create a trailer without combat and people will call it boring 🤷‍♂️
What happened to not caring about the people who think it’s boring? There are plenty of games for them to play.
But I thought the original RE4 was a masterpiece? :p
That’s funny. RE4 is barely a Resident Evil game and nowhere close to a masterpiece.

Top Bottom