• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill 2 Fans Aren't Happy With Bloober's New Remake Trailer

Draugoth

Gold Member
PlayStation's latest State of Play finally gave us a good look at Silent Hill 2 Remake, showing off a variety of different puzzles and monsters that players will encounter in the titular town. Surprisingly, quite a lot of the game's latest trailer was focused on combat, something that probably needed a bit of an overhaul due to how clunky it is in the original, but not exactly something that many fans would claim is an important part of the original experience.

You'll find a lot more people just expressing their overall disappointment with the new footage as a whole, while a couple of people are claiming that Bloober Team has probably missed the point of why the original was so loved by having a trailer focus on combat so much in the first place.

Some fans even took shots at the unnecessary quick-time events shown in the trailer. X user TotallyPointless mocked the decision to include QTEs, saying,

"I’ve said it for years, the ONE THING Silent Hill 2 was missing, the ONLY THING stopping it from being a masterpiece, FUCKING QUICK TIME EVENTS."

via TheGamer & DualShockers

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
trailer about combat focused on combat? color me surprised

There's much more to be disappointed about than just the combat. The game looks like shit.

Like what even are these PS3-ass graphics

53502604083_970a394fdb_o.png

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Yeah, no shit.

Said it before but this remake serves absolutely nobody. The fans will hate the changes and the people new to it won't get what all the fuss is about.
Most newcomers would play the old one and probably say that anyway.

The issue here is who is making it. I was one of the few who liked some of what I saw (though, admittedly, it's still in need of work). The issue is Bloober themselves. Not a bad company, but perhaps not the right one for a proper remake of a beloved game from a team who's minds and creativity were far beyond what Bloober has thus far achieved.

All that considered, with the right amount of polish and perhaps a shift of focus back toward what made the original so great, they could still pull this off. Issue again, though, is Bloober. :p

Last edited:

Shrap

Yeah, no shit.

Said it before but this remake serves absolutely nobody. The fans will hate the changes and the people new to it won't get what all the fuss is about.
Exactly. It's a complete travesty to original SH fans, and to people who have never played it before it looks like an outdated steam indie RE ripoff.

Konami has been dead for so long and this is only further confirmation of that fact. They need to cancel this junk and sell the IPs off to publishers who can actually do justice to them.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

This is no no.

bq9BkF9.gif
Yeah, if you think this particular part looks cool or neat then eeeeeeeesh, lol.

I think this trailer looked better than the first one...
Amusingly enough I think the first looked better than this one. Especially the few environment shots and the stronger focus on the fog. This WAS more in-game, which I appreciate. I still thought the fog looked great, and some of the environments. But overall, I just think it all looked pretty rough, and honestly a lot more rough than I was expecting from a title that Sony is backing and is coming exclusively to PS5. Especially with the amount of developed time, and the murmurs of the game being in the polishing phase, a lot of Bloober moving on to new projects, etc.

Create a trailer without combat and people will call it boring 🤷‍♂️
Not necessarily. No one said the first trailer was "boring" as far as I know, they just wanted to see more gameplay, if anything. I feel if they made a trailer that focused more on a little bit of everything, it probably would've landed a bit better.

Last edited:

SHA

I mean no offense but from what I just saw is a glorified dead space game, still gonna support it anyway and find all that from my own experience.

Yikes.

I'm hopeful they'll take the criticism to heart, because it's a tall order to remake something as beloved as Silent Hill 2.

That being said--it's probably realistically not coming out until around Halloween. There's still a good bit of time to make something happen, I just don't feel confident in Bloober.

It just makes me feel like they failed on PT and what made it work so well. Even if doesn't include Kojima, the basis was all there. Just find a solid horror developer who can handle such a thing.

I kinda hoped they wouldn’t remake it 1 to 1, but create some creative spin to the game design. There’s so much more possible nowadays.

For instance having realtime Otherworld transitions, that can be triggered by the player lingering too long in a certain place.
You hear the sirens and go “oh fuck, I need to get going with this puzzle or combat sequence, because else I’ll be trapped in the Otherworld and have to fight my way out”

Or something else more creative. Just. Something.

Aion002

Silent Hill 2 has a lot of combat so what am I missing? It also has some janky af combat if you haven't played it recently so I'm actually curious how they handled that.
People are probably comparing it to RE4R gameplay.. Which is unfair, since this is probably a lower budget game being made by a studio that has little experience on combat gameplay.

Anyway, I disliked the last two blobber games so I had low expectations, after the trailer I am mildly interested.

It looks bad, but not as bad as I expected.

Last edited:

Zheph

I kinda hoped they wouldn’t remake it 1 to 1, but create some creative spin to the game design. There’s so much more possible nowadays.

For instance having realtime Otherworld transitions, that can be triggered by the player lingering too long in a certain place.
You hear the sirens and go “oh fuck, I need to get going with this puzzle or combat sequence, because else I’ll be trapped in the Otherworld and have to fight my way out”

Or something else more creative. Just. Something.
You know people would lose it anyway if they change much
its a no win situation

DryvBy

People are probably comparing it to RE4R gameplay.. Which is unfair, since this is probably a lower budget game being made by a studio that has little experience on combat gameplay.

Anyway, I disliked the last two blobber games so I had low expectations, after the trailer I am mildly interested.

It looks bad, but not as bad as I expected.
People seem to be pretending Silent Hill 2 was just a PT style game. All of those old Silent Hill games have a lot of combat (and it's always been poor combat). I'm starting to wonder if some of them even played Silent Hill 2 at this point.

Madflavor

I'm disappointed but mildly amused what giant dud the resurrection of Silent Hill has been so far. Series has been on ice for a long time with no hope of it coming back. Then Konami announces they're bringing it back with all sorts of projects, and so far all of them have been crap, or looking like crap.

Oh btw, friendly reminder that in some alternate universe, Kojima made Silent Hills and everyone was happy.

When are fans of anything ever happy when it comes to remakes & remasters

People seem to be pretending Silent Hill 2 was just a PT style game. All of those old Silent Hill games have a lot of combat (and it's always been poor combat). I'm starting to wonder if some of them even played Silent Hill 2 at this point.

Probably just watched a lets play, this is the twitch era after all. Having played SH2 a couple months back on a PS2 (not emulated or ported) I honestly don't think the remaster looked that janky in comparison. Silent Hill games are clunky to play, especially if you go back to them now. It's probably more that people are upset it isn't Resident Evil Remake with a Silent Hill skin

MiguelItUp

Probably just watched a lets play, this is the twitch era after all. Having played SH2 a couple months back on a PS2 (not emulated or ported) I honestly don't think the remaster looked that janky in comparison. Silent Hill games are clunky to play, especially if you go back to them now. It's probably more that people are upset it isn't Resident Evil Remake with a Silent Hill skin
To be fair, the combat in this trailer actually looks MORE like a wanna-be Resident Evil Remake. I mean, it's over the shoulder, and strongly focusing on combat with combat taking up majority of the trailer. Combat in OG SH games (1-4) was janky, and it DID exist. But I think it's odd to put out a trailer that has a bigger chunk of the combat rather than anything else, personally.

Btw, pressing a button quickly to shake off an enemy is not a quick time event, that shit has existed since the original Resident Evil/Silent Hill games it's just that they show a visual cue for it now, find something else to cry about.
The act of showing a button prompt makes it a QTE. Stop apologizing for garbage!

Top Bottom