• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Orangee (Gravity Rush leaker) claims a MediEvil 2 remake will be shadowdropped at next month's PlayStation event

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Larry Shrug GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

Astray

Gold Member
No thanks, I was quite excited to play a REMAKE of the first game, but it turned out to be the same old game with updated graphics. I got annoyed with cheap deaths and aimlessly wandering around and dropped it about half way through.
They went way too faithful with it imo. Even kept some bugs in there to keep the feeling the same.

elmos-acc

Sony has so many great and beloved franchises that have been left to die. I honestly have no idea why out of all of them MediEvil has gotten any attention, is it a relevant IP?

yurinka

Sony has so many great and beloved franchises that have been left to die. I honestly have no idea why out of all of them MediEvil has gotten any attention, is it a relevant IP?
The Medievil 1 remake was pretty bad/mediocre and didn't sell well. Almost nobody asked to remake 2. The original games

I think that if this remake really exists it's because Sony sees potential on a movie/tv show adaptation and plans to somehow revive the IP with the remakes and PC ports.

Last edited:
Never played, although I think I may have been on ps plus at one point? Might try it out if that's the case. Weird that it's this IP they will continue with. I will say though, if true, I like how Sony is still making games like this. Astrobot is also rumored for a late 2024 release and really think the market needs more AA like games. Especially with how long dev times are for AAA games, they're nice stop gaps in between.

flying_sq

The first remake was great, I will definitely buy it. First time I played the game too. My friends had it growing up but I never played it. A simple, "pure", fun video game.

Why is Sony wasting time with this IP?

Literally nobody cares about it

This was a lame duck Layden move and he’s not at Sony anymore
If it's cheap for them and it sells enough to recoup costs then it's ok, besides it won't be Made by a first party studio. I loved medievil and medievil 2 deserves some love too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa
Discord user Orangee has been accurately disclosing various informations in regards to the Gravity Rush movie (like, for instance, its presence at Sony's CES conference earlier this year) ahead of time, and has also stated that a Gravity Rush 2 remaster is expected to arrive to PS5 and PC later this year. So far, he's been reliable.

Well, he has now claimed that a MediEvil 2 remake has been in the works since 2021 at Other Ocean Interactive, the studio behind the 2019 remake of the original MediEvil, and that the project currently has a release date of May 2024, which coincides in time with when the much rumored next PlayStation Showcase is expected to take place, suggesting a shadowdrop release for the title.

Although it might seem like a totally out of left field announcement, especially considering how the PS4 MediEvil remake didn't set the world on fire, it's worth noting that the series protagonist, Sir Daniel Fortesque, was spotted in a PlayStation Productions promotional video last year, which means that Sony might have some transmedia ambitions for the franchise, explaining why they're bringing it back once again in remake form, similarly to what they seem to be doing with the Until Dawn movie + game remake combo.

Source

Shadow-dropped means the game is announced during the event and comes out that same day. The rumor is that Medievil 2 remake will be announced and released the same day? That’s not something that I don’t think has ever happened for a AAA game before. That would be highly unusual

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

I have the remake of Medieval in my collection but haven't played it. I don't know why I bought it because I thought the original on PS1 was really bad. Maybe my opinion will change with the remake.

nial

Gold Member
Did GAF forget that this series was dead for 14 years before the PS4 remake? We could finally get a third entry after this one.
Someone at Sony has to really love this series
It didn't have anything on PS2, PS3 and PS Vita, lmao.
Shadow-dropped means the game is announced during the event and comes out that same day. The rumor is that Medievil 2 remake will be announced and released the same day? That’s not something that I don’t think has ever happened for a AAA game before. That would be highly unusual
It's obviously a AA release, no different from Hi-Fi Rush last year.

Nope, you can see here.
Also, I wouldn't call $40 AAA either, that was the cost of the low-budget 2016 Ratchet & Clank remake.
It was $40 at launch. You're sending me a link of the current price, which, yes obviously it is not still $40, five years later. But sure let's keep arguing.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
It was $40 at launch. You're sending me a link of the current price, which, yes obviously it is not still $40, five years later. But sure let's keep arguing.
You can see the price history, put it on 'view all' and you'll see it was $40 in 2019. Sony doesn't do permanent -$10 price cuts, lol.

You can see the price history, put it on 'view all' and you'll see it was $40 in 2019. Sony doesn't do permanent -$10 price cuts, lol.
Yes, as I've said, it was $40 at launch. And they absolutely do permanent price cuts, and depending on the game, it can be $10.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

I have the first one, played for like 30 minutes, and it seemed too basic.

I think people said there were like zero QOL changes between the PS1 game and the PS4 remake.

Last edited:
Top Bottom